Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

Darth Roxor

Rattus Iratus
Staff Member
Started Daedalic's Edna and Harvey: The Breakout in German, in a bizarre self-imposed attempt to learn the language in an x-treme way.

Wonder how that will work out.

Also, the game? It's schizoid like FUCK

iqzulk

Augur
Playing Shadow Warrior (the original, not the remaster) on No Pain, No Gain.

Crap hitscannerish saveload-fest combat (Build FPS? with crap combat? YOU DON'T SAY!), weird and pretty unconvincing weapon selection (also, sticky bombs 4 years before Halo? nice! it's a pity they are so worthless here). Surprisingly well done kinesthetics, almost Realms_of_the_Haunting-grade. Really well done and immensely enjoyable level-design and encounter/situational-design, with puzzles and stuff, almost on par with Cybermage (yeah, I know it's a weird comparison, I was surprised as well), which singlehandedly saves the entire game.

Compared to Blood, not as artsy-fartsy, but much quicker in terms of combat (in Blood, combat is a slog due to the gazillion of little and oh-not-so-little delays, permeating almost every aspect of it) and with MUCH, MUCH better level layouts and situational variety (teh puzzles!).

Overall, a good, really fun and enjoyable-on-a-basic-level game, which falls (or maybe doesn't fall, haven't completed it yet) only a teensy bit short compared to Cybermage. Not a (gasp!) artistic statement (in contrast to Blood) in any way - but the gameplay here actually strongly delivers on it own (again, in stark contrast with Blood), even if primarily through exploration and not the combat mechanics themselves.

Last edited:
Repressed Homosexual
I have been playing Geneforge 3 again, first as a loyalist Guardian and now as a rebel Shaper. Great fun, although after Geneforge 2, I do find certain specific requirements for plot progression and the lack of additional factions to be a bit of a let-down. Still, most of the time, the game does not prevent you from playing the way you like.

It's not worth playing, dull, linear, and nothing happens.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Bulletstorm.
As I expected it's nothing special despite trying to being "cool game that throw you into space with awesome power". Somewhat forcing to tricking instead of making it as option, lack of ammo.
Suprisingly better shooting feeling than I expected. Still not that good like other favourite FPShooters. And one of few game (from 2-3?) that I'm glad for short gameplay. Now it's time to back to F.E.A.R + addons.

Also funny thing - it have GfWL app requirement and call me madman but I've got no problem with this app compared to Steam.

mondblut

Arcane
Just finished wasting time on Faery Tale Adventure 2. Could never find motivation to proceed further than the nearby dungeons back in the day, but it went much smoother with Dosbox set on turbo-mode.

Leaving the brothers in a cave with constantly respawning enemies on autocombat for a day helped, too :smug:

sexbad?

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
I got a review copy of Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs. It was bad and short.
Could you elaborate? Was hyped about this game.
Because of an embargo I'm not sure I am allowed to say so much about it just yet (short previews are allowed but no let's plays or full reviews, they said), but if the PR folks find me and deem this too deterring then oh well.

Hiding and running from enemies like in any other Frictional style game is still there, albeit easier and not nearly scary feeling until the game actually tries something new by the end, but any other reliance on player agency is gone. It's all one corridor that occasionally gives you a branching path to go get a thing and bring it with you. You get railroaded from one place where you have to pull a lever to the next where you have to push a button.

Horror-wise it hasn't stooped to the level of something stupid like Condemned or Dead Space, but it is notably less threatening than anything Frictional developed in-house. Its atmosphere is diminished by its belief that pigs and visions of children are actually scary, and though I won't go into much detail I will say that it rides on the coattails of its predecessor so eagerly that a lot of moments are quite similar. Also, I'm not sure if it's because there's just less substance overall or because they occur more often, but shock triggers are definitely more prevalent than in the original game.

Darth Roxor

Rattus Iratus
Staff Member
B. J. Blazkowicz makes his way down to the underground facilities of the secret weapons compound in Kugelstadt!

"Ah, wunderbar, zhey've finally fixed ze elevator!"

:troll:

Darth Roxor

Rattus Iratus
Staff Member
The three levels with Deathshead are so cool in general. Starting with the rocket base (paratroopers!!), then the secret weapons facility, and finally the x-labs (with the excellent and blood-pumping outer compound).

Hell, RTCW is just so cool in general.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I'm replaying RTCW too, currently in the castle with zombies and nazis fighting each other. Soon going to meet Heinrich.

sexbad?

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
I think it has some problems, but the level design is excellent and the people combat is very nice.

One thing I noticed is that its difficulty curve seems to be all over the place as it tries to balance a large variety of enemies. The hot lesbian assassins, for instance, are probably the toughest enemies in the game (for me) just because of how accurate they are, but they show up very early on and are sandwiched between zombie encounters that are easy and simplistic. Then they disappear for a while and finally return near the end when their presence is really warranted from a design standpoint.

sexbad?

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
Yes. It's quite nice overall, although the human enemies are a lot better than most of the monsters. Some segments are definitely weak because of their focus on the monsters.

7h30n

Augur
Currently I'm wasting my time on C++ :D

Other than that, I take breaks playing Hotline Miami.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Yes. It's quite nice overall, although the human enemies are a lot better than most of the monsters. Some segments are definitely weak because of their focus on the monsters.

Yeah, the game combat piks up once you hire coonvince to join Sira frost spell. Be sure to gather a lot of magic seed for her.

:smug:
Are we talking about Return to Castle Wolfenstein here?

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Annual Fallout playthrough. Never ceases to amaze me how crisp Fallout graphics are compared to other games of the same era, specially when being scaled up.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom