Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

iqzulk

Augur
Shadow Warrior: cleared Coolie Mines. Only 5 levels to go. Thoroughly enjoyed urban levels; Sumo Palace and Coolie Mines - not so much. Also, apparently I've missed one secret level (found the second one though, sadly, it was nothing special despite using urban decorations). Oh well. Also, apparently (in contrast with Blood's devs) SW's developers had enough common sense to reduce HP levels of the boss characters tenfold when using them later in the game as mini-bosses. Those constant stone gargoyles and giant spiders fights were easily the most infuriating aspect of Blood's gameplay. Also, it's still surprising, just how much quicker this game is compared to Blood.

Tried Doom64 via PJ64: Oh God. What the FUCK did they do to my Doom?! Also, that "soundtrack" (if such a word is even appropriate in this case) is what I'd personally call "genuinely disturbing". As in: Genuinely. Disturbing.
And yes, I'm aware this thing was written by the same guy who had written that mindblowingly awesome QfG: Shadows of Darkness soundtrack.

Anyway, that's certainly enough of Doom64 for today. Might still clear another couple of SW's levels though.

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron
MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I've challenged myself to not get any new games until I slog through a bunch of games I've just had cluttering up my computer. Up first, Skyrim:
The-Office-gifs-the-office-14948948-240-196.gif

DeepOcean

Arcane
Is RTCW a must play?
The gunplay is solid and it is a challenging game but it has the Half Life 2 sindrome of levels divided in small segments by loading screens. But, on contrary to Valve, they decided that it was a good idea that after each small segment a screen appear with the secrets found, time taken to finish the level and number of attempts, then another screen appear with a recap of the objectives. Boy, that has the annoying effect of really breaking the flow and making the levels feel smaller than they really are. That was so annoying for me that I gave up on the game but if you don't care about this stuff, it is a good game.

jagged-jimmy

Prophet
Codex 2012
Wasting time with Sleeping Dogs. It's kinda fun to hit people in the face with fish and then go sing karaoke afterwards.
Solid, fun game with slightly distracting technical issues. Combat is fun so far - lots of kung fu style action. Shooting is also quite satisfying popamole.

Darth Roxor

Rattus Iratus
Staff Member
Also, apparently (in contrast with Blood's devs) SW's developers had enough common sense to reduce HP levels of the boss characters tenfold when using them later in the game as mini-bosses.

wat

The stone gargoyle boss in Blood takes a shitton of missiles to take down. The following normal stone gargoyles in later episodes take like 3 alt-fire shotgun blasts tops.

JudasIscariot

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
Right now, I am experimenting with Chaos Dwarves in Blood Bowl. Mostly against the AI so I can test out skills, tactics, and their overall toughness. So far so good but I still don't feel confident enough to win in the GOG Blood Bowl league so I am just playing to smash as many people as possible :D

iqzulk

Augur
wat

The stone gargoyle boss in Blood takes a shitton of missiles to take down. The following normal stone gargoyles in later episodes take like 3 alt-fire shotgun blasts tops.
Did you play on Extra Crispy? I did. They take the identical (or undistinguisheable from identical) amount of pain. I am playing SW on No Pain, No Gain now. Here they (mini-bosses) don't. So here is your difference.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I moved this last week, so not playing much. Internet still not on, joining the local hipsters with a coffee to write this.

I booted up a few oldies I had in GOG DRM free editions, because of lack of interwebs.

Splinter Cell - Still holds up IMO. You kind of have to ghost because the combat is so awful and grabbing guys from behind so unreliable, but that doesn't make the stealth bad. Kind of the opposite in a weird way. Graphics are ugly by today's standards but far enough along in 3D development to be perfectly serviceable. Having Georgia be the enemy is amusing to me since I have actually been to the country. Their entire war plan was probably devised over some torched pork and cha-cha vodka gulps.

Deus Ex: Invisible War - Yes, yes, the bastard of sneaky first-person RPG-likes. It's a rather shite game but can still be enjoyable if you go in knowing what it is and what to expect. I like the arcology and WTO ideas, even if the tech couldn't portray them well. I like the dark and harsh look of everything. I'm in Trier now about to head to Antarctica and it only took me five and a half hours, which is laughable. Whatever, there are very few of these games in existence and it's worth the eight hours to muddle through. Man those fucking constant loading screens though...

GTA3 - Had this downloaded from Steam, not sure why I randomly did that. It holds up surprisingly well though, as the simpler and less hassling arcade crime game. Even it's direct follow-up Vice City added a ton of "realistic" or "deep" shit that distracts from the core gameplay. I like that you can load up GTA3 and drive around shooting fools for thirty minutes and then go play something else.

Tried Doom64 via PJ64: Oh God. What the FUCK did they do to my Doom?! Also, that "soundtrack" (if such a word is even appropriate in this case) is what I'd personally call "genuinely disturbing". As in: Genuinely. Disturbing.

I quite liked what I played of Doom 64 in the PC conversion. I only got like 4-5 levels in though.

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
GTA 3 is still my favourite for some weird reason. It was one of my first PC games, I guess, and blew my mind twice over with the new possibilities it opened up - both for the genre and for showing me what PC gaming could do. Vice City is great and probably the objectively better game, but there's something that brings me back to 3. I can still remember how cool it looked to pull up in the rain outside your shitty garage hideout in a beaten and hard-won Mafia car, and discovering that the game would just let me fill my car with explosives and ram it into the Mafia boss guy's (diving out at the last moment) to bring the last mission of the first island to a premature close. Good times.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
GTA 3 is still my favourite for some weird reason. It was one of my first PC games, I guess, and blew my mind twice over with the new possibilities it opened up - both for the genre and for showing me what PC gaming could do. Vice City is great and probably the objectively better game, but there's something that brings me back to 3. I can still remember how cool it looked to pull up in the rain outside your shitty garage hideout in a beaten and hard-won Mafia car, and discovering that the game would just let me fill my car with explosives and ram it into the Mafia boss guy's (diving out at the last moment) to bring the last mission of the first island to a premature close. Good times.

Yeah, it might just be I remember how mind-blowing the game was when it came out when I replay it. The first time I tried the game was on a PS2 store demo because I wasn't paying much attention to gaming news at the time, I had no idea what was coming. I was pretty shocked.

Vice City has a lot of improvements and I very much prefer it's story. San Andreas got a little too big for me. I very much appreciated GTA4's kind of back-to-basics approach. Reminded me of the simple fun of GTA3. I'm ignoring GTA5 news until they announce a PC version, so I don't really know the style it's going for.

spekkio

Arcane
Finished Rayman 3 - Hoodlum Havoc

I loved Rayman 2 (played a couple years ago) but part 3 is not as good.
I went with the Gamecube version (via Dolhpin), since PC version had serious issues (constant slowdowns). I encountered some Z-buffer errors (3D areas being improperly/opaquely rendered), but switching from OpenGL to Direct3d plugin fixed that.

Pros:
- mostly challenging gameplay (when it's not unfairly difficult - see below),
- graphics are still nice,
- game is fun to play (not boring, despite being "only" a platformer - Alice 2 bored me to death),

Unfortunately, cons are more prominent:
- game ditches the lighthearted tone of the predecessor and replaces it with forced grimdark/extreme/unfunny mood. Globox is irritating. Andy is even more irritating. The green guy at the beginning is extremely fucking irritating. And the “bonus” videos (different ways to kick Rayman) are not only unfunny and stupid, but cruel as well. WTF?
- gameplay is based either on "basic" abilities (jump/shoot) or "power-up" (strong attack / high jump / rocket launcher). Unfortunately, you receive these power-ups by touching a stationary "charging stations". Which is bad idea gameplay-wise, as it limits gameplay possibilities (found red "can" - door must be nearby; found "yellow" can - a ledge must be somewhere above; etc.).
- collectibles are not fun to collect (one type basically), extras (gained by gathering collectibles) are nothing to write home about,
- way too many boss fights and "mid-boss fights" - most of them are more tedious than hard, some of them are way too easy,
- level design is not that great, most levels are just long corridors filled with jumping puzzles / combat; final level is an exception, but some of its areas are unfair (require starting from the beginning after a single mistake),
- some areas are way too difficult / unfair, like the area before the final boss (maneuvering the hovercraft through some tunnels - you can loose all your HP by touching even a single blade - and there are plenty of them). Quicksaves ahoy!
- final boss is way to tedious: not that difficult to beat, but the fight is way too long (guy has like 5 phases or something + he restores HP in every phase).

tl;dr

Much worse than its predecessor, but still playable.

:3/5:

Started Dishonored and I'm liking it very much. Potential problems:
- Basic gameplay (combat, stealth) looked interesting enough in the initial part. But then I got magic (most of it looks popamole / gamebreaking / unnecessary - DX-HR says hello). And charms (passive upgrades). And some other shit. And even more shit after that. I hope the gameplay won't suffer from this (you can use different approaches, but the outcome will mostly feel the same),
- The game tries to cater to 2 different demographics at the same time: glorious PC master race (things borrowed from Deus Ex / System Shock 2; most of popamole gameplay elements like quest compass, hints, etc. can be disabled) and the console dirty peasants (Half Life 2 / Bioshock influences, the existence of the popamole gameplay elements in the first place).

Also: story is shit and human faces are horribad (Unreal Engine 3 represent?) but these things are not game-breaking...

dnf

Pedophile
Dumbfuck Shitposter
Glad i ditched Rayman 3. From super charming to super douchey, ugh

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
Wasting time on the n:th replay of No One Lives Forever and PES5. Also fucking around in Crusader Kings II for a bit until I feel I've played enough and can move on to EU4.

GTA 3 is still my favourite for some weird reason. It was one of my first PC games, I guess, and blew my mind twice over with the new possibilities it opened up - both for the genre and for showing me what PC gaming could do. Vice City is great and probably the objectively better game, but there's something that brings me back to 3.
To me it was the other way around. GTA3 was "meh" overall, with unimaginative missions and absolutely terrible combat. It was somehow more "restrained" than I expected, and also disappointingly formulaic when it came to the story structure. A fun game but a slight disappointment nonetheless. Vice City, on the other hand, was the game I had expected GTA3 to be. Still the best in the series.

I can still remember how cool it looked to pull up in the rain outside your shitty garage hideout in a beaten and hard-won Mafia car, and discovering that the game would just let me fill my car with explosives and ram it into the Mafia boss guy's (diving out at the last moment) to bring the last mission of the first island to a premature close. Good times.
Could you even jump out of a moving car in GTA3?

Darth Roxor

Rattus Iratus
Staff Member
game ditches the lighthearted tone of the predecessor and replaces it with forced grimdark/extreme/unfunny mood.

This is something that I've seen mentioned many times over, and I don't agree with this.

I've actually played Rayman 3 long ago (would have to replay it eventually), but I remember it struck me back then that the only "grimdark" in the game was the change in art direction into a darker palette.

When you think about it, some Rayman 2 levels were already pretty grim as well, like most of the pirate levels, with the steampunkish aesthetics and tar pits, or the haunted swamp caves, and Rayman 3 is essentially built of such levels on the whole. But it also retains the humour of the predecessor despite the darker surroundings - I remember laughing a lot at the quotes of the big bad dudes from which you gotta hide in some cave, for instance (or whatever that was, shaky memory like, I said) - "we're gonna make him sign a blank cheque" :thumbsup:

Minttunator

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Wrath
Wasted a few evenings on Game Dev Tycoon. I feel it could've done with a bit more depth - it doesn't really compare to other games with "Tycoon" in the title. Still, it's a nice little game, I had fun for the 10 or so hours that I got out of it. :)

Boyarpunk

Hey there, fuckface-uh!
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 Codex USB, 2014
Augmenting my time trying to get out of Grimrock with Papers, Please. Holy fuck who knew looking for discrepancies between passports and work permits could be so....fulfilling.

Quilty

Magister
Went back to Left 4 Dead with a couple of buddies to try out the custom Silent Hill campaign and damn, that is still one of the most atmospheric horror games around.

VioletShadow

Sensate
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Just got STALKER: Shadow of Chernobyl on steam trade. A few people recommended it but I'm scared before even starting. I'll give it a try.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom