Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

Bilgefar

Savant
I've been playing Risen 1 again lately. I really liked it when it first came out, but this playthrough I'm discovering a lot more problems. It's still a good game, but it's further from Gothic 1 and 2 than I had previously thought.

Biggest problem is probably that I'm going with an archery build, and holy crap is it OP. About halfway through the second chapter I got enough experience (not through grinding, just from doing all the quests and exploring a bit) to max out my bow, dexterity, and alchemy skills. Suddenly archery turns from a pretty solid means of killing things to the destroyer of worlds. I've heard people say that it's not overpowered because in tight spaces you won't get to shoot, but there are very few spaces tight enough to make that be true, and even when they are very tight, a person with max bow shoots so fast he can probably get a shot off between getting hit by the enemy. With the damage you can deal, that makes it not a very big drawback at all. So basically, there are a few design flaws that combine to make archery stupid good. First, it's simply too easy to level up. Having all those skills maxed should be closer to the end game than just chapter 2. Second, while archery doesn't really become great until you max all those skills out, it's still really useful even with no skill. This is partly because enemies are just too easy in general (you can pretty much get through all of chapter 1 and most of 2 without spending any skill points and just sword n boarding everything). Third, archery just never gets nerfed. You might think, well alright he's in chapter 2, maybe the enemies get tough later on, but I've made it to chapter 4 now and I'm still rofflestomping everything in my path.

There's a few other minor annoyances outside the fact that the game goes a bit downhill after the first 2 chapters. My biggest one is that there are all these cool spells to get past obstacles, except they almost never seem to be usable emergently. Usually it's like, well I need to get past this wall, oh look a very conveniently placed hole for me to shapeshift to get through. The biggest problem I had with this is when I was in a dungeon with a big river of lava in between two walking areas. I used the levitate spell which should have easily gotten me from one area to the next, but instead it inexplicably stopped working as soon as I got over the lava and I fell to my death, simply for trying to use the tools given to me in a way the developers hadn't intended. Instead I was supposed to find a way up from the place I currently was and jump down to the other place, because that's the puzzle they put in the game and no other way of solving it would be acceptable apparently.

Like I said, it's still a good game and I'm having fun, but it could have been a lot better.

subotaiy

Cipher
Finally got around to play Shadow of The Colossus, only to notice that the story/setting feels familiar somehow; was wondering why until i remembered this:

Baron Dupek

Arcane
UFO: Aftermath. Made soviet mission, then biomass research to prevent growth. And then - aliens with rocket launchers happen.
Lot of them.
Duh...

skacky

3D Realms
Developer
I have wasted four hours on A Machine for Pigs. It's :decline: compared to The Dark Descent and fails on many levels (the monsters are not scary, it's very short, mental sanity was removed, unlimited lantern and it's very linear) but it's still a pleasant experience just for the great atmosphere (if you forget the monsters, that is) and the gorgeous visuals.

FuelBlooded

Scholar
I finally started playing Expeditions: Conquistador after buying it a month ago. I'm really enjoying it. Clocked 8 hours today.

dnf

Pedophile
Dumbfuck Shitposter
game ditches the lighthearted tone of the predecessor and replaces it with forced grimdark/extreme/unfunny mood.

This is something that I've seen mentioned many times over, and I don't agree with this.

I've actually played Rayman 3 long ago (would have to replay it eventually), but I remember it struck me back then that the only "grimdark" in the game was the change in art direction into a darker palette.
The major changes was the characters. In Rayman 2 they talk gibberish, and in Rayman 3 they talk douchebaggerish. Music was not that good either.

sser

Arcane
Developer
Realms of Arkania HD.

Also Enslaved for Xbox, but I honestly don't think I can stomach another minute of it and I'm not even at episode two yet.

Minttunator

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Wrath
Just got STALKER: Shadow of Chernobyl on steam trade. A few people recommended it but I'm scared before even starting. I'll give it a try.

I just started a new playthrough of that a few days ago! :bro:
It's really very good - and I'd say it's not as intimidating/scary/difficult as one might imagine. :)

VioletShadow

Sensate
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Just got STALKER: Shadow of Chernobyl on steam trade. A few people recommended it but I'm scared before even starting. I'll give it a try.

I just started a new playthrough of that a few days ago! :bro:
It's really very good - and I'd say it's not as intimidating/scary/difficult as one might imagine. :)

I've played for about 2 hours and it's good so far. It's scary but definitively not as much as I expected. :D

Minttunator

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Wrath
Depends on your own definition of playable, I suppose. There are a lot of bugs still, but other than that you can play the game through ostensibly to its end.

Thanks, bro. I think I'll give it a few more months before reinstalling - it's good to see that they're actually fixing it, though. :)

Minttunator

Arcane
Patron
There's a few other minor annoyances outside the fact that the game goes a bit downhill after the first 2 chapters. My biggest one is that there are all these cool spells to get past obstacles, except they almost never seem to be usable emergently. Usually it's like, well I need to get past this wall, oh look a very conveniently placed hole for me to shapeshift to get through. The biggest problem I had with this is when I was in a dungeon with a big river of lava in between two walking areas. I used the levitate spell which should have easily gotten me from one area to the next, but instead it inexplicably stopped working as soon as I got over the lava and I fell to my death, simply for trying to use the tools given to me in a way the developers hadn't intended. Instead I was supposed to find a way up from the place I currently was and jump down to the other place, because that's the puzzle they put in the game and no other way of solving it would be acceptable apparently.

Like I said, it's still a good game and I'm having fun, but it could have been a lot better.

Those are all solid points. I had a bunch of fun with Risen as well, but it did have some shortcomings, like you said.

Personally, I felt the island could've been a bit bigger (a few more settlements would've been nice), the physics bugs were annoying (those might be patched by now, though) and the dungeon crawling got tedious near the end. I also agree that the second half of the game is definitely weaker. In general, front-loading content is an issue in most modern games - and it sort of makes sense, since apparently most gamers don't finish games nowadays.

Heresiarch

Prophet
Finishing Divinity 2: Flames of Vengeance slowly.
Installed Pharaoh and playing through the campaign slowly.
Installed the Colonization remake along with The Authentic Colonization mod, gonna play it sometime.
Wanna fire up DoomRL again but completely forgot the proper way to level up.

Gurkog

Erudite
Project: Eternity
Started playing Blood Bowl for the first time. Doing story mode first to learn how it works. It is pretty fun when random shit happens, even when it hurts my team.

kazgar

Arcane
Brutal Legend, probably 1/3 the way through? (next main mission is the battle in the round dome after knocking the first gate down) And i'm wishing there was a way to have the tracks playing without being in the car otherwise i just want to drive around listening to Metal and not actually continue the game part (doubly when the RTS type parts have shitty controls with kb+mouse)

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Playing Duke Nukem 3D with xDuke because I'm too retarded to make it run properly in VESA mode and midi music with DOSBOX apparently. Colors all screwed up in fullscreen courtesy of Windows 7.

Tried playing some Outlast, but it's just shitty jump-scares so far. There's no atmosphere at all, the "evil asylum" setting is completely phoned in - am I really supposed to be impressed by things written in blood on walls every room? Or 100 corpses on the floor? Economy goes a long way with horror, this has absolutely nothing going for it.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Tried Saint's Row 3.
Give up after 2-3h. Boring, uninteresing and forcing to be awsum like Bulletstorm that I beat yesterday.
Same to Saint's Row 2 (which was also uttery ugly and screwed, choking console port, lot worse than Dark Souls, which lay untouched after second boss).

Went back to Just Cause 2 an it's still kick ass.
Especially with some combination like "long hook line mod" + "remove parachute and fly like pseudosuperman" and all that with music from your player.

Felix

Arcane
Playing Yakuza 5 atm, the first game that make me compelled to complete everything, those mini-games are just so much fun :cmcc:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom