Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

Started with the SNES Harvest Moon, too. 64's probably my favorite. The Rune Factory series of spin-offs on DS are interesting with all the magic and dungeon-type stuff.

Last edited:

chubs

Novice
Been trying to play Gothic then afterward Gothic 2, but the game crashes on me everytime I try to start up a new game.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Started a game of Saints Row IV. Kinda fun, but I doubt I'll ever finish it.

I'm thinking of resuming my 4 characters IWD playthrough.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
That feeling where you kind of want to go play other games, but all you really want to do is replay Deus Ex for the 500th time.

EDIT: Decided to replay Thief instead, as it's been quite a while. I'd forgotten how huge the Thieves Guild mission is... shit, that probably has to be one of the largest and most complicated levels I've seen in a game. Guess Eidos Montreal has its work cut out for it. :lol:

Last edited:

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
So I somehow managed to get Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II working, so I played and beat that all in one sitting. Gotta say that this game still impresses me. Level design is a little inconsistent but there are some very, very good ones, and most importantly, some of them are goddamn huge and full of stuff to explore. I never finished it years ago (in fact, I may have only had the demo) but it's still rather nostalgic given I must have been 9-10 and at the height of my Star Wars obsession when I played it. Might finish Mysteries of the Sith as well, if I've got time in the next day or two.

Though that said, I need to stop being such a dick when it comes to analyzing videogame plots. The way the bad guys were able to somehow build massive complexes and fortresses in and around the Valley of the Jedi, import thousands of troops and dozens of droids, walkers, etc. all in the span of the hour or so they get there ahead of you is really irritating.

Only thing that bugs me is that despite running at 60 fps, the game appears to be simulating animation/movement at 30 fps. I got used to it, but I admit it kinda gave me a headache. Does anyone know if there's a way to fix this issue, or is that just how the game is? After so many years I honestly can't remember.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Playing Diablo 1 with Hell mode nowadays, after finishing new X-com I felt unclean :/
Also waiting for new Brutal Doom version to be released, going to have too much fun wth that one!

Amn Nom

Learned
Currently working through Shadowrun Returns and I have to say I'm a huge fan of the setting. The game itself is a bit too linear for my taste, but the writing and good combat system make up for it. When I finish that tomorrow i'm gonna either boot up Risen or Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I finished Duke Nukem 3D, which probably takes the cake when it comes to how much time has passed since I played the game for the first time (1996, on a PC in school) until I completed it. The final boss alien queen was a real bitch.

Right after that, I fired up Demon Stone after a long break (had an old savegame in Chapter 5 of 10) and very quickly realised I abandoned it in 2009 for a reason. Hack, slash, hack, slash. So boring. Zhai is hot, though.

I finished up my weekend by trying to play The Path, but it turned out to be too artsy for my taste, with not enough substance. And this is from a guy who enjoyed Limbo and Dremfall a lot.

Last edited:
Puzzle Quest: Challege of the Warlords. It's actually pretty deep for a match-3 game, actually more of an RPG than some codex favorites. :M Shame the AI is completely shameless about cheating. It can see which blocks are coming next and sets up outrageous combos that take 1/4 your HP in one go. Also, it has a "help" feature that suggests one piece to move if you're taking too long to make a move. Invariably, moving the highlighted piece will give the computer a chance to set up a combo the next turn.

GWS9QR.jpg

Last edited:

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Puzzle Quest: Challege of the Warlords. It's actually pretty deep for a match-3 game, actually more of an RPG than some codex favorites. :M Shame the AI is completely shameless about cheating. It can see which blocks are coming next and sets up outrageous combos that take 1/4 your HP in one go. Also, it has a "help" feature that suggests one piece to move if you're taking too long to make a move. Invariably, moving the highlighted piece will give the computer a chance to set up a combo the next turn.
Yeah, I like Puzzle Quest but the blatant cheating by the AI is really a turn-off for me. I tried beating both of them but in each case I rage-quit after the AI would inevitably set up massive combos and get 10 turns in a row for "just so happening" to match 4 each time. The hilarious thing is that the developers actually deny that the AI cheats, and that it's simply "good" and "gets lucky".

Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The sequel is more forgiving, and has some good improvements. Not a game that I would sit down and play for hours, but for a couple of sessions it's a good time waster.

spekkio

Arcane
I decided to give Rayman 3 - Hoodlum Havoc a try (so far I only played Rayman 2). I’m on WinXP 32 bit.

I started with a non-removed version, but found 2 problems:

1) my gamepad wasn’t recognized by the game (only keyboard works),
2) game suffers from visible slowdowns (FPS goes from 60 to below 40 all the time).

Problem #1 can be solved by using a fix:
http://af.gog.com/forum/rayman_series/rayman_23_controller_fix?as=1649904300

Sadly, problem #2 remains (tried compatibility settings, switching to single CPU core, forcing and disabling v-sync - nothing works).

Oh, another thing: the game supports only 4:3 resolutions.

:(

Next, I DLed the game from GoG. Sadly, all problems described above remain.

:(

Finally I decided to grab a Gamecube image and play the damn game using a Dolphin emulator. Guess what?

1) you can configure the gamepad as you see fit
2) rock-solid 60 FPS all the time
3) you can use 4:3 or 16:9 setting
4) you can save anytime using quicksaves.

muKjcAO.jpg

Where’s your god now, PCfags?

:codexisfor:

Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I had problems with Resident Evil 2, the scenario B would always crash without any error messages. Loaded Epsxe and all the problems were solved. Now I just look for old console iso'z and have fun, instead of fighting with the game.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
It's mainly an issue with the era. Windows 98 and down shit is hard to get working on modern PCs a lot of the time, post Dosbox and pre-WinXP compatibility abilities. If you look on GOG so little of their catalog is from that timespan. I had a similar experience with Star Wars Shadows of the Empire and Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine. Neither worked on Win7 no matter I did, so I used N64 ROMs. Of course Infernal Machine doesn't work there either, so it's pretty much unplayable.

Anyway... luckily very few games from that era that don't work are ones I care about.

Athelas

Arcane
Where’s your god now, PCfags?
You do realize that it only looks that good on PC with upscaled resolution and widescreen, right? The ability to emulate consoles is a highpoint of PC's, not consoles.

And you could've used any number of progrems like Xpadder to map keyboard keys to your gamepad.

spekkio

Arcane
No shit, Sherlock.

upscaled resolution
Yes, it's a feature of the emulator.

widescreen
Actually no. Gamecube version of the game supports widescreen, PC doesn't. It's not about external resolution, but game's aspect ratio (internal).

map keyboard keys to your gamepad
Analogue movement controls as well? :roll:
Plus what's the point when the fix is available.

tl;dr

Back in 2007 we had better newfags...

:roll:

Athelas

Arcane
Actually no. Gamecube version of the game supports widescreen, PC doesn't. It's not about external resolution, but game's aspect ratio (internal).
You could've probably gotten the PC version to widescreen by googling a quick fix. At any rate, the vast majority of GameCube games don't have innate widescreen support, in which case you can use Dolphin to truly render them in widescreen, so my point still stands.

spekkio

Arcane
You could've probably gotten the PC version to widescreen by googling a quick fix.
Probably...

http://www.wsgf.org/dr/rayman-3-hoodlum-havoc

Putting the game in Widescreen Jacks up menus and submenus.

Or maybe not... :roll:

At any rate, the vast majority of GameCube games don't have innate widescreen support, in which case you can use Dolphin to truly render them in widescreen, so my point still stands.
Not sure what you're talking about. You can use almost any external resolution in plenty of PC games / emulators. But if the game doesn't support certain aspect ratios, it's gonna look like shit (wrong image proportions/-ver/-hor).

Athelas

Arcane
Putting the game in Widescreen Jacks up menus and submenus.
Not seeing the problem. Most of your game will be spent navigating 3d worlds, not browsing through menus.

Not sure what you're talking about. You can use almost any external resolution in plenty of PC games / emulators. But if the game doesn't support certain aspect ratios, it's gonna look like shit (wrong image proportions/-ver/-hor).
Now you're being deliberately obtuse. You pointed out that the game itself had widescreen support. I then pointed out that most GameCube games don't and require Dolphin to render in widescreen (true widescreen, not stretched out shit). UNDERSTAND?

But if the game doesn't support certain aspect ratios, it's gonna look like shit (wrong image proportions/-ver/-hor).
In all my years of PC gaming, I have never come across that problem. A widescreen fix for 3d games simply renders more of the environment, it doesn't stretch anything. Even the 2d Infinity Engine games have been modded into widescreen wiithout stretching.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom