Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

sser

Arcane
Developer
Yeah I would not get the game unless it was on a big sale or something. It has its charm, as most Meier games do, but otherwise... eh. For some reason, it was a sort of fire and forget title by Firaxis (even after a decent amount of hype and publicity). There are two (basically combined into one) mods that drastically make the game better, by the way, so it's not a total lost cause or anything. It just happens to exist in a weird spot for a seemingly well-produced title by a well-to-do developer/publisher/game designer.

After playing around with Misery Mod 2.0.1 for Call of Pripyat I decided to embrace popamole and finally play Deus Ex Human Revolution.

I prepared for complete decline and after seeing "I'm here for a story" difficulty level I turned on my sunglasses augumentation, said "I never asked for this" and choose "Give me Deus Ex" option... then I died 6 times during tutorial.

BUT, after game wasted around hour of my life with unskipable "cinematics" and let me fucking PLAY the game, I must say it's NOT that bad. At least game forced me to plan my approach because I got jack shit for ammo and you can't "takedown" everyone due to the fact that "takedowns" drain stamina/energy/freak-juice. I was pleasantly supprised because this game have obviously popamolish control designed for gamepad, which is usually first and last warning sign that makes me bail out from the game.

Quilty

Magister
Yeah, I've been playing through DX:HR too, and it's not as bad as I expected. The boss battles were so annoying I had to use a trainer to get past them because fuck that. Also the graphics whore in me cried at the horrible textures stretched all over the place. But in a way the weird graphics kind of reminded me of the quirky graphics of the original, which was probably unintended, but worked for me.

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
BUT, after game wasted around hour of my life with unskipable "cinematics" and let me fucking PLAY the game, I must say it's NOT that bad. At least game forced me to plan my approach because I got jack shit for ammo and you can't "takedown" everyone due to the fact that "takedowns" drain stamina/energy/freak-juice. I was pleasantly supprised because this game have obviously popamolish control designed for gamepad, which is usually first and last warning sign that makes me bail out from the game.
You can take down everyone, the last bar of energy will always regen. It's just kind of tedious.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
How the fuck do you die in the tutorial? I think I died like 4 times the whole game on hard.

I was stealthy though. Maybe run and gun is a lot harder.

How the fuck do you die in the tutorial? I think I died like 4 times the whole game on hard.

I was stealthy though. Maybe run and gun is a lot harder.

Only couple of shots will kill you even on normal so it's very easy to die in first "tutorial combat" especially since you are not accustomed to controls and quirks of shooter game designed around gamepad and cover system at this point. And since I don't play such games often I died around 6 times in this fight on hard and I had to lower difficulty to medium (and still died couple times after that).

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Only couple of shots will kill you even on normal so it's very easy to die in first "tutorial combat" especially since you are not accustomed to controls and quirks of shooter game designed around gamepad and cover system at this point. And since I don't play such games often I died around 6 times in this fight on hard and I had to lower difficulty to medium (and still died couple times after that).

You can blame it on consoles if you want to, but honestly you just sound really bad at the game. In the tutorial all you have to do is hold right mouse to stick to cover, then point and shoot at bad guys. You don't even have to take cover, you can unbind the key and treat it like normal Deus Ex, the game is still pretty easy.

It's also one of the best ports of all time, as far as PC options, interface and controls.

You can blame it on consoles if you want to, but honestly you just sound really bad at the game. In the tutorial all you have to do is hold right mouse to stick to cover, then point and shoot at bad guys. You don't even have to take cover, you can unbind the key and treat it like normal Deus Ex, the game is still pretty easy.

It's also one of the best ports of all time, as far as PC options, interface and controls.

I never said I'm good at it (or at original Deus Ex) and I never said that the games is teh hard. I just said that I died 6 times during tutorial because I decided to start at highest difficulty level having no prior experience with the game.

And you are right with the port part, it feels quite ok and it's certainly better than other console ports I played (F.E.A.R 2 shitfest comes to mind). But I'm still not used to "set" cover system, in Deus Ex HR its just feels like nothing is giving you any cover unless you press "cover" button and stick your side to the walls. It's something I will have to get used to I guess.

AND, I may be giving too much credit to HR but I don't think I should not bitch about shitty shooter mechanics* because it seems perfectly playable as "avoid the enemies and make silent takedowns when you absolutely have to" type of game.

*that's clearly problem with game being designed for gamepads.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
AND, I may be giving too much credit to HR but I don't think I should not bitch about shitty shooter mechanics* because it seems perfectly playable as "avoid the enemies and make silent takedowns when you absolutely have to" type of game.

What makes the shooting mechanics shitty? Other than the optional cover mechanic the shooting felt just fine to me. I just don't understand your issue. I started on hard the first time too, it felt like every other FPS only you can stick to cover if you want.

If we get to the heart of the issue maybe we can discover why you're dying so much.

What makes the shooting mechanics shitty? Other than the optional cover mechanic the shooting felt just fine to me. I just don't understand your issue. I started on hard the first time too, it felt like every other FPS only you can stick to cover if you want.

If we get to the heart of the issue maybe we can discover why you're dying so much.

Reason I was dying at the beggining was simply my lack of experience and skill, but that's something that comes with time.

And I don't really have an big issue with HR mechanics and feel of control because I know this game was designed for consoles.

My main problem is lack of leaning, so I can't really take cover and try to shoot anyone without using "cover system" which is NOT optional if there is no leaning (and I couldn't find it in control options, if you can lean in HR than disregard me, I suck cocks).

And I also have huge problem with aiming even using iron-sight, and that's exactly same thing that happened to me while I was playing F.E.A.R 2. I never had anything like that in PC shooters so I'm betting it's simple fact that mouse control is just second "option" and not only way to play it. But on the other hand I'm no shooter expert, my only recent experience with shooters was heavily (and I mean really heavily) modded Stalker series, where guns felt like guns and my crosshair/iron sight did what my hand told it to do.

And that's the reason while I went with stealth/punching shit route. It's simply because I suck at shooting in this game. But I didn't know I could use "takedown" during tutorial because Adam "Shayeeeeit" Jensen was not augumented and I didn't even had a health/ammo counter.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Reason I was dying at the beggining was simply my lack of experience and skill, but that's something that comes with time.

I suppose. Maybe it's because I never stopped playing shooters but I didn't see anything particularly different or new with how this one controlled. I guess it's all perspective and specific experience.

If you think Human Revolution is "designed for consoles" though, man, stay away from every other game with a console version made in the last 7 years. HR plays like a PC exclusive compared to 99% of the rest.

Curious_Tongue

Larpfest
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
I recently discovered the joys of Warcraft 3.

I avoided it because I was disappointed in the direction that Warcraft 2 went in years ago, and I was also suspicious of RTS games with 3D engines.

Excellent game and expansion imo.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Playing Payday 2. Hell, this is the best coop shooter since Left 4 Dead 2. There are dynamic missions and shit based on if you can do an objective or not (could use some more variation though). C&C bithces. Payday 2 is an RPG.

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
My main problem is lack of leaning, so I can't really take cover and try to shoot anyone without using "cover system" which is NOT optional if there is no leaning (and I couldn't find it in control options, if you can lean in HR than disregard me, I suck cocks).
I agree that the lack of leaning sucks, and it's pretty much the only real complaint I have about the game's control scheme. Still, the game gives you a magic radar and Smart Vision which let you run rings around your enemies without sticking your back to a wall even once. Even without that kind of stuff there should be no excuse for using cover, really. You're not gimping yourself by not using the cover system, you're just removing an advantage that you shouldn't have in the first place, so man up.

And I also have huge problem with aiming even using iron-sight, and that's exactly same thing that happened to me while I was playing F.E.A.R 2. I never had anything like that in PC shooters so I'm betting it's simple fact that mouse control is just second "option" and not only way to play it. But on the other hand I'm no shooter expert, my only recent experience with shooters was heavily (and I mean really heavily) modded Stalker series, where guns felt like guns and my crosshair/iron sight did what my hand told it to do.
I can't really explain this as I thought HR felt perfectly fine on my PC, but it might be related to mouse acceleration. You could try this:

http://smoothmouse.net/forum/topic/...olution-mouse-acceleration-how-to-disable-it/

skacky

3D Realms
Developer
System Shock and Gothic for me. I've finished System Shock several times but I haven't played it in a very long time, and I've never played Gothic before and so far it's good.

Tripicus

Augur
Playing Call of Juarez: Gunslinger right now. Having quite a bit of fun with the game (I'm partial to Westerns to begin with). It's an FPS with a very arcadish feel to it (like those flash gun games), with the flare of shoot outs in westerns. The main character is narrating the story the entire time to people in a bar he's talking to, with things like "Hold on that's not what really happened" moments. You get experience which you can use to specialize in one of 3 combat styles: dual pistols, ranger (long range pistol + rifle), and "blah"(up close and personal with shotguns and rifles). The difficulty is decent, although it looks the hardest difficulty at the start, which I found irritating.

If you like westerns and shooters you should try it out.

Gurkog

Erudite
Project: Eternity
Finished Knights of the Derp Republic 2 for the first time. Went through the game as a pure combat lightish side character. I would say it is better than Derp Republic 1, due to my getting bored of the endless trash encounters and never finished it. 2 is definitely not the best game ever, but for a Star Wars title in the post Prequel days it is pretty good.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
Since I don't have much time lately for gaming due to work and friends etc, I sometimes spend time on the Wii playing Endless Ocean 2, just fooling around there. :oops:
Yeah, decline etc, but it's very relaxing and has gorgeous enviroments...

EO2.jpg

ntoMeZxFk.jpg

Gozma

Arcane
Old Colonization never really fired properly either, had super unbalanced stuff and dumb exploits, and ground to a micromanagement halt if you developed to any significant degree.

Currently playing the fighting game Skullgirls

Kinda frustrating because I like the systems and the look but the combos are too damn long, both to learn and to watch. Most of the Steam players are bad enough that I can get lots of wins just doing sad 15-minutes-of-training-mode ghetto confirms off c.lk and throwing, but it seems like an endless wasteland of training mode separates me from knowing if I could hang with the actually-goods that have been playing it since the console version.

Although, the fact that you can get a mildly effective combo down in 15 minutes is really nice compared to games where if you can't do a couple of specific hard links or juggles half of a character's tools don't work.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
My brother gave me his PSP so I can play the occasional Tetris game or something while on the shitter or during train travel.
On there was "Innocent Life - A futuristic Harvest Moon". Since I had a soft spot for the first Harvest Moon on the SNES back then, I tried it out, and quickly wasted 5 hours on it.:oops:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom