Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

Servo

Arcane
Dark Souls has claimed about 100 hours of my life at this point. I can't stop playing.

Fallout 1, 2 and Tactics for free @ GOG:

http://af.gog.com/news/free_games_fallout_fallout_2_and_fallout_tactics?as=1649904300

Get them, better than the Steam version (comes optimized to modern computers)

In what way do they come optimized? Like it includes FIXT?

Edit: Sorry I guess I could go look that up.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Although the exploration is not nearly as fun as it is in FO3
:hmmm:

I really like New Vegas' exploration. It is more low-key but I enjoy not finding huge dungeons every 5 minutes. Coming across a little campsite with a stash or a small story to tell is way more interesting for me and isn't just pointless filler, but helps build up the game world way better.

Nekrosis

Literate
I currently "wasting" my time on several games. I haven't finished GTA5 on my 360 so far. AC4 got in te way (big time)! ^^ On PC I am currently playing the Hearthstone Beta, which is always a nice fill-in when there is not enough time to start another game. Besides that I'm highly addicted to Dark Eye: Blackguards - a roundbased strategy game which is currently still in Early Access Beta on Steam. If you liked games like Frontmission or Final Fantasy Tactics, you simply have to take a look. it is pretty awesome^^ And I'm still "Flying to the Mun" from time to time with Kerbal Space Program. In the near future I want to buy X3 and Fallout New Vegas (hopefully in the upcoming Steam Christmas Sale) and I'm STILL interested in Diablo 3 Reaper of Souls. A friend of mine is currently testing on PTR and he is pretty happy with it. I'm still having a little hope...

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
I finished Realms of the Haunting today, pretty cool game. A somewhat mindfucky "horror" shooter with inventory and puzzles. Reminded me a lot of Undying, albeit probably better if only because the ending wasn't so horribly rushed. The whole premise is VERY Clive Barker-ian, too, with shittons of religious imagery, lots of conflicted "factions" in the main plot, jumping around through dimensions, etc. One thing that kind of sucked, though, was that for a supposed horror game, there was no horror whatsoever in it, not even any jump scares. The very opening is a bit unnerving, but after that it only gets less and less gloomy, especially due to the fact that you find guns with endless ammo pretty soon and most of the different dimensions are just pretty gardens and chirping birds.

Cool game, tho, and fairly long, too. Also, them cheesy FMVs :love:

Vicar

Cipher
Patron
Sorcery! And Sorcery! 2 on my phone. Great reiteration of the classic game books. :incline:

Servo

Arcane

AlexOfSpades

Arcane
Fallout 1, 2 and Tactics for free @ GOG:

http://af.gog.com/news/free_games_fallout_fallout_2_and_fallout_tactics?as=1649904300

Get them, better than the Steam version (comes optimized to modern computers)

The GOG version includes the official Interplay patch 1.1 but from what I can tell that is the only difference between it and the Steam version. So how do you mean optimized?

I mean, it runs on Win7 without fucking up and Fallout 2 supports widescreen resolutions. I guess that's better than having to do all that stuff on your own to make it run? I recall writing a script that killed explorer.exe in order to run FAllout 1 on Win7 - what a pain in the ass. GOG version apparently already runs on Win7 and so on without the need for that stuff.

Did you get it? 19 hours remaining. Its for free, bro! You dont even have to put in your information or credit card or any bullshit, just register, login and claim.

WhiteGuts

Arcane
Lots of games recently.

Mass Effect 2. 20 hours in and I can safely say that it's not as good as the first game. You have somehow even less control over your character. The missions are honestly quite boring. I don't know if I'll find the will to finish it.

Finished Mark of the Ninja. The proof that indie doesn't always mean shitty graphics and bloated gameplay.

Hotline Miami. Was enjoying it, until I hit a fucking wall.

I've also been playing Dork Souls for the first time. Dying a lot but learning to enjoy dat shit.

Servo

Arcane
I mean, it runs on Win7 without fucking up and Fallout 2 supports widescreen resolutions. I guess that's better than having to do all that stuff on your own to make it run? I recall writing a script that killed explorer.exe in order to run FAllout 1 on Win7 - what a pain in the ass. GOG version apparently already runs on Win7 and so on without the need for that stuff.

IIRC the Steam version of Fallout 1 runs OOTB too. Does Fallout 2 not support widescreen resolutions anyways?

Mass Effect 2. 20 hours in and I can safely say that it's not as good as the first game.

It took you 20 hours to figure that out? (Just kidding, it took me a couple playthroughs.)

I've also been playing Dork Souls for the first time. Dying a lot but learning to enjoy dat shit.

Dark Souls will alter your brain for the better.

Redlands

Arcane
Ultima 5 is one of the best games, and probably the best RPG I've played so far. I had far too much fun just walking through a town, talking to people and copying down almost everything they had to say. It's an incredibly well-crafted game, as you have to pay attention to what's going down, and there's always something that needs doing or working towards, and even the combat's alright (if occasionally a little too grating against trash mobs). I love the integration of the manuals' filler contents into the game (the best kind of DRM is one that improves a game). It's amazing how much more I paid attention to all the text in that game than I have into most of the RPGs I play, and I'm perfectly willing to read most things.

I've played through all the released Blackwell games as well. The first one's alright, oddly short but that's alright given the next two, which are definite improvements and I enjoyed them well enough. The fourth... ugh, I was really liking how long it was, and some of the puzzles were really neat (even if auto-solving) but the last few minutes/screens just lost my interest.

I've been playing through Eschalon II in preparation for III's oncoming release, as well as working through the Heroes Chronicles campaigns. Eschalon II's fun; definitely too much emptiness and seemingly short in comparison to Ultima 5, but I'm still enjoying it. Currently on the fourth of the Chronicles, and near the end after I restarted due to Tarnum not having enough carry-over spells to complete a map on the highest difficulty level.

WhiteGuts

Arcane
I've played through all the released Blackwell games as well. The first one's alright, oddly short but that's alright given the next two, which are definite improvements and I enjoyed them well enough. The fourth... ugh, I was really liking how long it was, and some of the puzzles were really neat (even if auto-solving) but the last few minutes/screens just lost my interest.

Yeah it kinda took a Cage-turn.

The best game for me is still the second one, if only for the jazzy athmosphere and low-key elements. It was neat.

Redlands

Arcane

Yeah it kinda took a Cage-turn.

The best game for me is still the second one, if only for the jazzy athmosphere and low-key elements. It was neat.

Cage-turn? Hey! Hey! Let's not get carried away! :lol:

I liked the second game the most too, not so much for the jazz (though that was kind of neat), but for the "period piece" feeling. Like, having to look up people/places in a phone book, and the style of the apartment made it feel a fair bit like a 70s-80s live-action cop show. I liked the story of the third one better, though.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Two Worlds - Feels like eating a microwave meatloaf when you want steak, but hey at least it's meat.

Doom 3 - Resurrection of Evil - Never played it, might as well do it now. Redheads are hot.

Dark - Quite possibly the shittiest stealth game ever made, but I'm a stealth obsessed motherfucker.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Ultima 5 is one of the best games, and probably the best RPG I've played so far. I had far too much fun just walking through a town, talking to people and copying down almost everything they had to say. It's an incredibly well-crafted game, as you have to pay attention to what's going down, and there's always something that needs doing or working towards, and even the combat's alright (if occasionally a little too grating against trash mobs). I love the integration of the manuals' filler contents into the game (the best kind of DRM is one that improves a game). It's amazing how much more I paid attention to all the text in that game than I have into most of the RPGs I play, and I'm perfectly willing to read most things.

Yeah, Ultima 5 was great; definitely the best of the pure, vanilla Ultimas IMO, having just the right mix of exploration, puzzles and combat.

I've been playing through Eschalon II in preparation for III's oncoming release, as well as working through the Heroes Chronicles campaigns. Eschalon II's fun; definitely too much emptiness and seemingly short in comparison to Ultima 5, but I'm still enjoying it. Currently on the fourth of the Chronicles, and near the end after I restarted due to Tarnum not having enough carry-over spells to complete a map on the highest difficulty level.

Being a veteran HoMM player I found Chronicles to be far too easy. I've played all but Clash of Dragons and Sword of Frost, and I think there only were two maps in all six games where I was any danger of being wiped out.
But the Heroes Chronicles are good introductory games if you are new to HoMM.

sser

Arcane
Developer
Praetorians.

It's fucking hahhhd. Mostly it's the camera/controls. You can't zoom out enough and units move far too fast in combat. Battles very quickly turn into clusterfucks and get out of hand faster than you can react - this is mostly countered by simple preparation and just going hands-off once the fighting gets underway. Marching through forested/hilly areas is a goddam goatfuck of a nightmare. If there's high ground nearby and you elect to pass it up, I guarantee some barbarian prick and his band of merry archers will slaughter your entire force when the inevitable ambush hammer gets laid down. Taking over small villages is fun, but recruiting units takes too long, since you're mostly just emptying the population out and moving on. Some battles become fucking enormous and there's plenty of action to be had.

Good game.

Bitcher1

Cipher
I finished Realms of the Haunting today, pretty cool game. A somewhat mindfucky "horror" shooter with inventory and puzzles. Reminded me a lot of Undying, albeit probably better if only because the ending wasn't so horribly rushed. The whole premise is VERY Clive Barker-ian, too, with shittons of religious imagery, lots of conflicted "factions" in the main plot, jumping around through dimensions, etc. One thing that kind of sucked, though, was that for a supposed horror game, there was no horror whatsoever in it, not even any jump scares. The very opening is a bit unnerving, but after that it only gets less and less gloomy, especially due to the fact that you find guns with endless ammo pretty soon and most of the different dimensions are just pretty gardens and chirping birds.

Cool game, tho, and fairly long, too. Also, them cheesy FMVs :love:

Right, towards the end it seemed like they used the alternate dimensions thing as merely an excuse to throw in a bunch of random puzzles.
Game was p. good, though, overall a nice mix of action/puzzle solving/exploration. The writing was good for the most part too, especially the exchanges between the 2 protagonists. Loved Rebecca - that sardonic little bitch. :love:
Another case of an innovative horror game totally overlooked in favour of simplistic popamole.

Servo

Arcane
I love the integration of the manuals' filler contents into the game (the best kind of DRM is one that improves a game).

The Ultima games are the perfect example of a time when manuals mattered. I might have enjoyed reading the manual to Ultima 4 more than playing the actual game.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
After a very smooth ride with the Unreal Tournament remake of Marathon, the more faithful (with warts and all) Aleph One remake of Marathan 2 was such a bumpy ride that it made me seasick. :(
Damned head bobbing; why is there no option to turn it off?

Unwanted

Kalin

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
Fallout Tactics, since GoG/Herve handed it out for free. On the very first map, and it is so railroaded it feels like a crappy corridor shooter. I guess I should soldier on despite the misgivings, but really, I would much rather play JA2.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Kalin: There are some missions like that, yeah. But then there are others that will throw you for a hoop on that front. At least play until the mission where you're supposed to recover the batteries from the villagers. Tell us how that went.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Fallout Tactics, since GoG/Herve handed it out for free. On the very first map, and it is so railroaded it feels like a crappy corridor shooter. I guess I should soldier on despite the misgivings, but really, I would much rather play JA2.
There's no point of enduring this. It doesn't get better. This game is a really bad combination of the mechanics limitations of many RPG engines with limited RPG options of a tactical game. The worst of both worlds.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
There's no point of enduring this. It doesn't get better. This game is a really bad combination of the mechanics limitations of many RPG engines with limited RPG options of a tactical game. The worst of both worlds.
This. I soldiered on despite ignoring warnings from both Awor and DraQ, and the game is really somewhere between mediocre and plain bad. I still don't understand how, even in TB mode, it manages to be less fun and so much more boring than FO1 despite having full party control. I blame it mostly on encounter and location design, but whatever it is, it just makes the game tedious to go through. There are maybe a couple of misisons that are more interesting, but I don't even remember them, and that's not a good sign.

Suchy

Arcane
Gone Home. Actually not too bad. Kind of Dear Esthery, in a way that you discover the story through exploration. But in contrary, it has puzzles to solve and way more interactivity. The story though... I think I'm growing a pussy.

The Bureau: X-Com Declassified. :popamole:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom