Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

Humppaleka

Cipher
Finished The Witcher with Full Combat Rebalance on Hardcore difficulty. Meh, should have changed difficulty sooner, was pretty frustrating. But I liked it overall, second time playing so I took my sweet-ass time doing quests and exploring. Also forced myself to go with the Order this time instead of the scoia'tael.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Hip deep in a Mass Effect 2 replay for whatever reason. It's not even that different because you kind of have to play renegade for the game to be at all interesting.

Also playing Return to Castle Wolfenenstein and Thief Deadly Shadows off and on.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
Space Hulk, the 1992 DOS game. What amazes me is how well they transitionned it to real-time with pause. I never played the board game, only the excellent Teardown turn-based Alien Assault, but while they both have the same basis they play differently. While I naturally lean towards turn-based, this shows me once more that both turn-based and real-time (with or without pause) can both be effective depending on their executions.

Finished The Last Express. :4/5: I need moar

Playing XCOM Enemy Unknown, but gets boring

Playing KOTOR with TSLRP 1.82 and Droid planet; its great game even when I cringe clickig between Hippie and Chaotic Stupid dialogue options, still there is the way to play Kreya approves as both Jedi and Sith; and Panzer Corps and Space Hulk too, very nice logic game with Spehce Mehrines to boot; they finaly patched it to playing condition in 1.4 :incline:

I like how you didn't acknowledge KOTOR 1's existence

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Also, tried Dark Souls. I think this game takes the cake for the fastest ragequit I've ever experienced, and whoever designed those controls should have been aborted.

Dude just give it some time. I restarted the game about 4 times, trying different builds and also trying to figure out the combat. Once you have it, you'll discover a new wonderful world. Really, DS is the best game I've played in years and it has probably the best ARPG combat ever. The controls are fine, you just need some time to get the hang of them.

PUT YOUR ASS DOWN AND PLAY IT GOTDAMIT !

This shit is good I bought Demon Souls (the prequel) for the PS3 and I'm about to confiscate a friend's console in order to burn away all my free time.

:dead:

PS: Use a fucking controller.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Some people mentioned that SuperFrog HD is terrible and should go back to original one.
And they were right, it's good. Especially speed - HD version is too fast and unplayable for me.

Saw news that there was DLC released to Duke Nukem Forever. Not that popamole turd but the mod for Duke Nukem 3D. And it was GLORIOUS, especially Born to be Wild level.

AlexOfSpades

Arcane
A few months ago i decided to buy FO:NV and try it out, since there was a lot of hype and praise. I admit i was positively surprised (my last Fallout experience was FO3) - it is really a nice game. Although the exploration is not nearly as fun as it is in FO3, it makes up for better dialogues - nothing Fallout 1 level of course - but still good. In my first playthrough, i played in Hardcore mode already. Several of my friends freaked out and said that Hardcore mode is borderline impossible ; i admit i was a bit intimidated, but it ended up being quite nice. It could have been better implemented, but hey it was still pretty fun and contributed a lot to the roleplay. I still remember roaming around the wastes, searching for a place to sleep and finding a raider-packed abandoned police department - after clearing it, i found a place to sleep and well, what is the only place you can find a bed in a police department? That's right, the cells. I found it to be so ironic how people in Pre-War avoided to be in those cells at all costs, and here i was locking myself on purpose. I finished the game on Hardcore and i honestly will not play it again without it. It feels like its almost a basic mechanic for FO:NV, and anyone playing it without it is missing out a lot.

I then checked the steam achievment list to see how many players finished it on Hardcore, just to check if that kind of mode is popular among the gamers or not.

6bw9.png

FUCKING CASUALS

skacky

3D Realms
Developer
:lol:

Also I'm now wasting time on Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition. Made my female character as usual. I've heard lots of people say that the Asylum guardian was kind of tough for a first boss. I killed it on my first try without taking too much damage, that thing was slow as fuck and its attacks rather easy to avoid. I'm also playing with a keyboard+mouse. :smug:
I actually find it rather interesting that the character creation editor is not as simple as other console RPGs.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
While I am proud to be among the 5% and think hardcore mode is a good option, it really does add tedium more than challenge.

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
Mafia 2.

The amount of detail in it is amazing. Superiour to GTA4 in every way possible. Not to mention it looks phenomenal and performance is rock solid, while GTA4 looks like absolute dog shite and performs the same way.

ColCol

Arcane
I was about to start Dark Souls, but I lent it to a family member and unfortunately he broke it. That prick. So, instead I've been playing a lot of small games. Just beat Gunpoint, a nice little stealth/puzzle game. Also, I just tried the mojam version of Wasteland Kings/Nuclear Throne. An action rogue-lite with nice shooting mechanics.

Last edited:

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
For the Dark Souls players out there that have also played the first Gothic game: How do the controls of those two games compare?

Gothic was a clear-cut case of the controls being another obstacle to overcome, but rewarded those that succeeded... mostly.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Why are so many people complaining about Gothic control system ? After a couple of fights in the beginning and moving around I had no problem to successfully enjoy the game.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Because it's not simple WASD to move + Ctrl to crouch and Space to jump like modern gaemz with mandatory similiar control scheme.
You need to learn how to move and work? The fuck is that, flying simulator?

About Derp Sawls control - only mouse sensitivity was real issue, then read some image with control scheme. And that's all, come and die.

Humppaleka

Cipher
A few months ago i decided to buy FO:NV and try it out, since there was a lot of hype and praise. I admit i was positively surprised (my last Fallout experience was FO3) - it is really a nice game. Although the exploration is not nearly as fun as it is in FO3, it makes up for better dialogues - nothing Fallout 1 level of course - but still good. In my first playthrough, i played in Hardcore mode already. Several of my friends freaked out and said that Hardcore mode is borderline impossible ; i admit i was a bit intimidated, but it ended up being quite nice. It could have been better implemented, but hey it was still pretty fun and contributed a lot to the roleplay. I still remember roaming around the wastes, searching for a place to sleep and finding a raider-packed abandoned police department - after clearing it, i found a place to sleep and well, what is the only place you can find a bed in a police department? That's right, the cells. I found it to be so ironic how people in Pre-War avoided to be in those cells at all costs, and here i was locking myself on purpose. I finished the game on Hardcore and i honestly will not play it again without it. It feels like its almost a basic mechanic for FO:NV, and anyone playing it without it is missing out a lot.

I then checked the steam achievment list to see how many players finished it on Hardcore, just to check if that kind of mode is popular among the gamers or not.

6bw9.png

FUCKING CASUALS
The reason for that is that New Vegas achievements bug out very easily. I beat the game twice with Hardcore from beginning to the end, all DLC too and didn't get that achievement.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Just completed Marathon:Resurrection.

Great stuff, but lacked the very final touches . There were a few persistent crashes and even a level transition not working, which required consoling. These bugs really should have been ironed out.
There were also some minor problems with weapon balance (fists are more powerful than guns) and some shield generators not working properly. Also, in one level only the Fusion Gun was supposed to work, but in practice all weapons worked.

Apart from those mostly minor points, it was a joy to play. Unreal Tournament looks extremely good for a 1999 game (but then I haven't really played any shooters newer than Quake 4 and Medal of Honor: Pacific Assault), and plays extremely smooth.
The best part of the TC was the in-fighting between various alien clans and races. After Doom 2 I haven't seen many games where provoking in-fighting is a tactic.

The default difficulty was "Easy", which to me felt right. It was a bit too easy on some of the levels, but I found "Normal" difficulty a bit too frustrating, with only surviving a few hits and the weapons feeling too weak.

Try it if you don't mind having to use the console a couple of times.
Wish there was a similar remake for Marathon 2...

Last edited:

circ

Arcane

6bw9.png

FUCKING CASUALS
LOLOL IMPOSSIBLE? What game are they playing? I admit I had issues with Legion hitsquads for a bit. Then I got handloader. And shit drops like dicks on I dunno. Asses. It's just sad that there's no reason to improve survival except in hardcore. And hardcore is a joke.

circ

Arcane
Anyway. I've been meaing to do this for a while. A long while. Maybe not that long, forget when it came out.

I re-installed Alpha Protocol.

I

DID

NOT

REMEMBER

JUST

HOW

BAD

THE

CONTROLS

WERE

And that's after ini tweaks. Or the animations. And that's after ini tweaks too.

Nicer dialogue than I remembered though. I will keep at it for a little longer maybe. Maybe I also shouldn't have started with Recruit since I don't remember shit of it.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
I reinstalled AP and things are significantly worse on my Kepler and W7 than they were on XP and older card. Also I use larger resolution. Wonder why is that.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom