Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

skacky

3D Realms
Developer
I'm playing both STALKER, and a modded ARMA 2 with friends (radio communications, more sounds, realistic stuff). I just played Escape Chernarus and we failed miserably an hour in, but that was the best shit I've played in a long while.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
LA Noire - Man this game is dumb, yet also oddly enthralling. Conversations are way too much guesswork and I personally hated how the story made me lock up people I knew were innocent, but... it's so unique and interesting. I dunno.

Minttunator

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Wrath
Finally got around to playing Saints Row the Third. I hadn't paid much attention to the series before (figuring it was just a GTA knock-off) but when I saw a trailer on Youtube that had people beating each other with giant purple dildos, I thought "finally, a game for my sophisticated sense of humour!" and simply had to buy it immediately. Man, what a fun game! Wish we had more titles that don't take themselves too seriously and manage to have have solid gameplay at the same time.

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
LA Noire - Man this game is dumb, yet also oddly enthralling. Conversations are way too much guesswork and I personally hated how the story made me lock up people I knew were innocent, but... it's so unique and interesting. I dunno.
I bought this game for $7.50 in a Steam sale just to check it out. While I haven't finished it, it is pretty interesting. Finding clues was interesting, and that part I enjoyed. However, the questioning of suspects was a bit brutal. Too much trial and error. I started losing interest when I had to keep reloading or reach for walkthroughs of quests. Not that I don't mind hard quests, just that these were a little too sketchy in parts.

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
Finally got around to playing Saints Row the Third. I hadn't paid much attention to the series before (figuring it was just a GTA knock-off) but when I saw a trailer on Youtube that had people beating each other with giant purple dildos, I thought "finally, a game for my sophisticated sense of humour!" and simply had to buy it immediately. Man, what a fun game! Wish we had more titles that don't take themselves too seriously and manage to have have solid gameplay at the same time.
Its everything that GTA IV should have been. Also, if you like it, play Saint's Row IV: it starts slow but gets good fast.

Gurkog

Erudite
Project: Eternity
Started a zoomancer in Path of Exile. More fun than Diablo 2, but I am not sure if it is any better than Torchlight 2 yet. Anyways, exploding pets are great fun.

Darth Roxor

Rattus Iratus
Staff Member
Picked up Realms of the Haunting at the ZOG sale. Pretty cool, although also pretty silly (gotta love them FMVs), and not really scary. But then again, how the hell can it hope to be scary when you find a pistol and a shotgun and 15 reloads for each within some 15 minutes of playing. Still, it looks like a good enough mindfuck for now.

Also, tried Dark Souls. I think this game takes the cake for the fastest ragequit I've ever experienced, and whoever designed those controls should have been aborted.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
Also, tried Dark Souls. I think this game takes the cake for the fastest ragequit I've ever experienced, and whoever designed those controls should have been aborted.

It's one of those games that need mods in order to be reasonably playable. Did you get past the Asylum Demon? :smug:

Sunsetspawn

Arcane
Its everything that GTA IV should have been. Also, if you like it, play Saint's Row IV: it starts slow but gets good fast.
No love for 2? I'm liking 2 a lot. Of course, I put that on hold to try out The Witcher and the jury's still out on that one. So far the music stinks, so there's that. Maybe chapter 2 gets better.

laclongquan

Arcane
Completed 1st run of Prince of Qin. Game is quite interesting with many unknown features, mostly due to the loss of two game forums in Object software anf strategy first. I confirmed the existence and requirement for 7 endings. Unknown the correct mechanism of dropped loots. In 1st game I received 1slot items, but game two has a lot of 2slot right of the bat. It could be that I cheat to transfer items with filled slots from 1st game to 2nd game so the mechanism consider loots based on my equipment as well. Rich party get fat loot? But why does the late 1st game didnt give things like that?

Try Seal of Evil, the second game made by same dev, a prequel of PoQ. Bad bad developers! They forget everything ever achieved in PoQ and try shitty features here. Abandoned~ Am thinking which to play next.

spekkio

Arcane
Glowingspot Runner or Do the nextgen developers dream about making non-popamole shooters?

Yeah, I've completed Clive Barker's Jericho... :roll:

+ The game has some next-gen features, but these don't turn it into so-called "next-gen shooter" (no challenge, hand-holding):
a) Both allies and enemies can use cover, hiding behind objects or using shields. There's no cover-system though (press button to become invulnerable while still shooting enemies): you can and should hit the enemies by using sniper weapon / special skills and enemies can do the same,
b) Health-regen is present, but it's very weak and does not prevent from being killed a lot. Most enemies can kill your characters in 1-3 hits.

+ Gameplay is actually p. solid: you can't win the game just by moving forward and shooting everything, very often you have to actually think for a moment to advance.

- game uses checkpoint system to save, which ALWAYS leads to problems, this time as well. Sometimes checkpoints are too sparse, so you have to repeat some segment over and over (blowing-up dudes say hello),

- so-called "survival events" (fail QTE = you die) are the single worst, retarded and unnecessary element in the game. Whoever though about them being "cool" should be castrated with a rusty barbwire. I can watch cutscenes all-right, but don't force me to pop some directional moles while doing it, you incompetent fucks! Ultimately, you just keep repeating the QTE over and over, till you memorize the pattern. Get the fuck out with this 1982 shit.

- extreme linearity: the entire game consist of walking through long corridors (with varied theme, though). There are some occasional dead-ends but NOTHING else. You can't even call gameplay areas "maps" in Doom / Quake sense, they are just long corridors,

- you receive a lot of lore via loading screens. Unfortunately, loading times are very fast on modern systems, but text appearing during them isn't. So, you have to spent up to one minute waiting like a moron for text to appear (if you want to read it and learn WTF is going on),

- team control is wonky as fuck, despite consisting of whooping 2 commands: "wait, niggers!" and "follow me, BROs!". Sometimes you have to maneuver up and forth like a retard to position your teamfags in the place where you want them to be. Often, despite giving them "wait" order, your dudes will follow you for shit and giggles (ending up blown to pieces),

- team AI is shit at times: allies often stay in one place (behind cover, if available) and keep shooting at the enemies, even the kamikaze types. Trying to keep their distance would be much smarter idea in this case...

- thanks to the above, the gameplay way too often boils down to running around like a moron while reviving your dead mates (who keep dying anyway),

- game relies way too much on using specific characters / skills. For example, to beat the 1st boss, you have to use a specific skill, nothing else will work,

- authors rely too much on you being familiarized with the oh-so awesome characters. At one point I got "Come helps us Billie, we need your m4d skill!" message during the mission. I have to actually consult the FAQ to learn whose nickname it was. :roll:

- the game sometimes requires you to reach a specific area of the map, without any info about where this "trigger area" is. At one point I spent ~2 minutes looking for a specific corner of an bigger area, responsible for triggering a cutscene (character starts climbing a hard-to-spot ladder). Before that, I only got "Join us, Billie!" message.

- some characters are clearly stronger / useful (the sniper, hacker chick, the reverend) than the others (katana girl, the nigga)

- the final mission and DAT ending are offensively bad (devs supposedly ran out of time / money).

tl;dr

:3/5:

:rpgcodex:

Dayyālu

Arcane
Yeah, I've completed Clive Barker's Jericho...
+ Gameplay is actually p. solid: you can't win the game just by moving forward and shooting everything, very often you have to actually think for a moment to advance.
- thanks to the above, the gameplay way too often boils down to running around like a moron while reviving your dead mates (who keep dying anyway),

It is one of the more positive opinions about Jericho I have ever read. I would disagree- Jericho is not worthy of a 6/10. You highlight all the greatest problems of Jericho, that makes it more of a "retard babysitting simulator" than a FPS, yet still value it as "sufficient"?
Sum that with the bullet sponge enemies and you have one of the more frustrating and pointless experience I have ever seen: it is simply a chore, not a game.
Literally.... the only two "good points" you highlight are "allies and enemies use cover and powers". Health regen would be a blessing in Jericho- at least you could watch the pretty, linear levels without dying of boredom resurrecting barely-functional AI teammates. And enduring retarded QTE.

Level design is mediocre at best- painfully bad at worst-; even more, there is a substantial difference between a "shooter that requires thinking" and "shooter that requires you to exploit spawn points and lure enemies to fixed positions as the only chance of winning a fight without dying of frustration".

As in Undying, it is pretty clear that the last levels are rushed and incomplete- even the final boss fight is quite clearly a shoddily made piece of junk (why those two teammates are killed?- of course because it was not possible for the devs to create a mechanic to integrate them in the boss fight!).

Sorry for the rant...but man! Being merciful of JERICHO!

Darth Roxor

Rattus Iratus
Staff Member
Jericho is an alright game and 6/10 is just about justified.

The funny thing is, I've played through it twice, once when it came out, and 2nd earlier this year. Before replaying it, my memories were very much the same as yours, that is: retarded AI that needs constant babysitting, bullet-sponge enemies, horrible shoot-the-weak-spots all the time, etc. But I've actually not observed ANY of those again after replaying it - the AI is braindead, true, but it only requires constant rezzing and babysitting if you are not disposing of the enemies fast enough. Fast removal of threats is the #1 babysitting measure, and it doesn't make the game worse. Waiting for the moles to approach and getting overrun is the biggest factor behind your buddies get downed. Of course, sometimes this doesn't really work because they get dropped regardless, like against those romans that essentially take a dude down with every javelin, but for the most part, heavy casualties are avoidable. They are EVEN MORE avoidable when you realise how incredibly powerful is Billie's blood ward - dropping one in a cramped area can completely halt an enemy advance, and is ESPECIALLY useful against exploding cultists. Fast switching through characters is pretty crucial in this game, and you can do some 1337 combos this way - blood ward everything in place, switch to Cole -> apply time warp and spam grenades, switch to Black -> ghost bullet multiheadshot. Suddenly, everything is dead.
Next, bullet-sponge enemies - shotguns, grenades, sniper bullets and explosive colts take everything down superfast, just aim for the head. And as for shooting weak spots? That's for faggots who don't know how to use explosives.

Jericho is flawed, but its most commonly pointed out flaws are either exaggerated or stem out of lack of skill. The only ones that really hold true are the shit QTEs, some subpar characters (like chaingun guy and the downright deadweight psychic nigga) and the horribru ending. One more thing that also irritated me were some of the solo missions, like taking chaingun guy alone through the roman baths, seriously fuck that level.

LEAVE JERICHO ALOEN!!!

spekkio

Arcane
You highlight all the greatest problems of Jericho, that makes it more of a "retard babysitting simulator" than a FPS, yet still value it as "sufficient"?
Yeah. I had fun playing this game. In short (~ 1 hour per session) bursts.
One thing pushed me to give it 3/5 instead of 2/5 - the more I played the game, the more I liked it (except the ending).
When you actually master your units' skills, the game becomes not that hard / infuriating. At least it did for me.

Shooter that requires you to exploit spawn points and lure enemies to fixed positions as the only chance of winning a fight without dying of frustration.
At some point I just stopped dying all the time and started kicking ass. See what Roxor wrote.

Why those two teammates are killed?- of course because it was not possible for the devs to create a mechanic to integrate them in the boss fight!
100% agreed, I facepalmed when seeing this.

Other than that: what Roxor wrote - if you keep dying in this game, that means you play it wrong. Switching from one dude to another and utilizing their skills to the max is the core of the game, not the shooting alone.

I think the game suffers from similar problem that Psychonauts did - people were complaining about the final level being too hard mostly because they didn't know that you can and should creatively utilize your psycho-skills to avoid most of the challenge there.

tl;dr

What the fuck is wrong with some fucks and their "OMG you gaev a gaem/movie/book a 4/5 while it's clearly 3/5! BAAAAWWW" attitude. Grow the fuck up. Grades are for faggots anyway, as they boil down to "I liked it" or "I didn't like it" anyway...

:smug:

spekkio

Arcane
Anyway, time for something less controversial:

jgrXKtM.jpg

Not using GUI Fix deliberately - font/icons are too small in 1280x960, let alone even bigger resolutions.
Also: first time plying with Shifter (1.8.4). I'm kinda worried, since the game crashed at the end of tutorial (looked like some files were missing / wrongly compiled).
Let's hope the game itself is OK - first mission completed without problems.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Anyway, time for something less controversial:

jgrXKtM.jpg

Not using GUI Fix deliberately - font/icons are too small in 1280x960, let alone even bigger resolutions.
Also: first time plying with Shifter (1.8.4). I'm kinda worried, since the game crashed at the end of tutorial (looked like some files were missing / wrongly compiled).
Let's hope the game itself is OK - first mission completed without problems.

Finally I realize which UI is Wasteland2 trying to copy.

laclongquan

Arcane
Damn~ After a few threads discussing peripherally on Rhapsody A musical adventure, I get curious and get it on emulator. I tried it years ago and abandoned pretty fast so I am curious about my response now...
Uninterested. Simply not interested enough to go beyond the tutorial scene. Play the home town, get in the forest, meet the prince.

It's a game I would recommend for any girl relative of mine that want to try girly game, but eh~

It's just lacking the punch that Reccetear possessed in abundance.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Winter is coming so some games are now more enjoyable. Like Thief Gold with Dark Engine 2.0 patch (forgot the patch number). Because The Dark Mod 2.0 was great announce but make problem with missions compatibility and else.

Also back to DoW2 Retribution to test Great Hammer mod. Best part - factions upgrade. Worst - add weaboo insects - Kau or Tau, forgot the name.

And there is mod for Arx Libertatis which is upgrade for original Arx Fatalis. It's make game more entertaining for multiple playthrough (random loot, more items and some crafting, alchemy. And cooking, most important). Because game is really fun but more than 2-3 playthroughs is max.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Brutal Doom. When the original Doom came out I was in my early teens and played more of the game than I care to remember. Loved it. Genuinly loved it. So, to go back to it now almost two decades later seemed silly. Often it's better not to try and relive the blasts from the past. Keep it a good memory and all that. So, it was with some hesitation that I retried the game with the Brutal Doom mod. And lo and behold, with a little polishing, mouse aim, lots of gore and some good extra music and a whole lot of speed and enemies the game is not just fun. It's fucking brilliant. No handholding, no QTE's, no arrows pointing me where to go, no regeneration. Just mayhem. Awesome.

And what a terrible reminder of just how far the FPS as a genre has declined.

laclongquan

Arcane
Uninterested. Simply not interested enough to go beyond the tutorial scene.

7590.jpg

Remember how the temple of trials wasn't indicative of the whole game.

You have: turnnbased melee as default. You can picking up spear to throw. You can move in a big ass (relatively) battlefield. You can detect traps, picking lock, picking pockets, setting trap/explosive. You can use talk to difuse combat threats. It's an excellent indication of the game ahead.

With RAMA, you have turnbased combat in a tiny battlefield. You can use buff. You have very low clue of which is better melee or use buff on your minion, or which is better, your minion or you. You prolly can get battle with monster join. No other skills. Hell, you cant even blow your horn if you want to. Nice song. That's it.

If it's true indication of the game, I'll pass. Forever.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom