Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
AC4: Black Flag and being surprised at how much I enjoy it. Mostly because the open world is a beautiful place to be in. Dolphins jumping, navigating narrow bays lined with sandbanks that are filled with birds, thundering storms that feel awesome. It really is a joy to sail through.

Other than that it's mostly yet another AC game. Although the protaganist is quite a bit more interesting this time around.

anus_pounder

Arcane
AC4: Black Flag and being surprised at how much I enjoy it. Mostly because the open world is a beautiful place to be in. Dolphins jumping, navigating narrow bays lined with sandbanks that are filled with birds, thundering storms that feel awesome. It really is a joy to sail through.

Other than that it's mostly yet another AC game. Although the protaganist is quite a bit more interesting this time around.

How does it compare to 3 and the rest of the series in general?

Machocruz

Arcane
Brutal Doom. I had written this off as a dumb gore mod. I was way wrong. Believe the hype. Doom is once again the best single-player FPS around with this mod. If it could be used on Doom 64, it would be heavan.

Back on Dark Souls for the first time in 2013.
Platinum trophied and ready for another 160 hours. Not really. I've put it through its paces well enough. With a high STR build with good enough DEX and max Pyro, you can do everything worth doing in the game. Spell selection is not interesting.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.

How does it compare to 3 and the rest of the series in general?

Never played 3 but did play 1 and 2. Both which I enjoyed up to a degree. AC4 feels very much like a typical AC with a pretty world to play Pirates! in around it. All in all it's quite decent although I can't help but wish someone made a game based on and expanded on the entire pirate and sailing part.

Self-Ejected

Jack

█▓▒░
Patron
Insert Title Here
346ude9.png

Mostly just been playing Anno 1503 and Carnivores: Ice Age since they are the most relaxing, Nexus is surprisingly good but I've only played a couple of missions in short bursts and haven't come very far into the game yet. Tried to force myself to play NWN2 and it's expansions but the camera is so shit I get nauseous and everything from the UI to the graphics is terrible. If I weren't a slight game masochist I would have uninstalled ages ago. The rest I play spontaneously from time to time, mixing them up between sessions for variation.

Gurkog

Erudite
Project: Eternity
The Rumors of Fallout 4 have inspired me to play NV again. Started up a game with Increased Wasteland Spawns, Sawyer mod, Fellout, and a mod that adds most of the guns from the original games, including Tactics. So far it is kicking my ass because I have no medicine skill... so stimpacks barely do anything.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that I have it set for very hard and hardcore, but I figured those were a given.

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
Decided to play Fallout New Vegas again around a week and a half ago. Took me a full day to get it modded up, a few hours to get them to all installed and in a functional load order, and a few hours to carefully undo some mods when I ran into a texture loading problem which I realized was due to there being too many mods for the game to handle. So far progressing fairly smoothly. Actually managing to stick to a full playthrough this time because I lowered xp gain to somewhere around 75%, so I don't wind up level 50 before I even hit the mods.

Still disappointed with how the Legion turned out. Reckon they could've been a decent faction had the game actually shown what life was like for those living in legion territories so that we actually experience first-hand how good things are for them (and contrast it with how badly your average Joe gets it in the NCR held territories in the Mojave). As it stands, they're just a band of fanatical larpers in sports equipment which the game keeps telling us is actually fairly nice to live under, honest.

oscar

Arcane
They're much more similar to the Spartans than Romans. For them to truly be a valid alternative to the NCR and live up to their name we should be seeing infrastructure, engineering and civilisation rather than tribals who found some extra uniforms from the Gladiator set.

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Caesar's_Legion#Ideology

Unfortunately this is never really shown in-game so the Legion come across as dumbass, machete-wielding Luddite tribals who must have stumbled upon extra uniforms from the set of Gladiator rather than an actually valid civilisation capable of competing with the NCR. It could have been an interesting comparison of the virtues and problems of fascism/authoritarianism/traditionalism/hierarchy vs consumerism/individualism/liberalism/egalitarianism but fell short.

DeepOcean

Arcane
One thing strike me is why they didnt dedicate one full DLC or three toward fleshing out that faction. it would go a long way toward erasing our complaints toward the lack of Legionaire questline.
Yeah, they wasted 4 DLC with side stories that while cool, gone nowhere , two of those DLCs on Legion land would be exactly what was necessary to give some depth to the Legion as they suffered too much of bad guy syndrome.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
My time with Dungeons of Dredmor has come to an end. I was doing quite good, had a build with mostly Thief-based skills and had reached level 9 of the dungeon, just cleared out a Monster Zoo... and the game crashes. For the fourth time with this character alone.

Reload the autosave, and my inventory is empty.

FFFUUUUUUU

One uninstall later and this bug-ridden game is out of my system. Shame, I was enjoying myself up to that point.

Minttunator

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Wrath
Yeah, Dredmor definitely has some technical issues. For instance, I saw the memory usage going well over 1GB quite often, which is ridiculous for a relatively simple game like that.

such the disgust for x rebirth, i reinstalled x3 albion prelude. i don't even like it, but i need my starships fix =_=
my favourite kind of game has the least amount of contenders and the worst ones.

Boyarpunk

Hey there, fuckface-uh!
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 Codex USB, 2014
such the disgust for x rebirth, i reinstalled x3 albion prelude. i don't even like it, but i need my starships fix =_=
my favourite kind of game has the least amount of contenders and the worst ones.

How is AP anyway? I played Terran Conflict to death years ago.
Is Albion Prelude worth the trouble? How does it compare to TC?

i don't really know. most of the mods work anyway, the stock market is pretty stupid (buy low, sell high. zomg! broundbreaking!), even if i'm playing with the rebalance mod (can't recall its name right now) i can't really point my finger on huge differences.
maybe the background story is a little different, with a supposed war ongoing between terrans and argons (?), but who cares? all i see is targets and potential targets.

edit: turns out the rebalance mod named "rebalance mod" wasn't installed correctly because it's a mod which doesn't install like a mod. i installed correctly and it ruined my whole installation, and looks like it ate all the loaded games too.
the next one who tells me "x games are mod friendly" gets shot in the face.

Last edited:

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Beats me, I like it alot as well. It's also one of the games that gets better as you play on, at least for most of the game. Only the endgame feels kinda incomplete. The Faerie Realm is one area you won't forget any time soon.

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
I bought Rocksmith 2014 on Steam and a few of the USB cables for it. Then I brought my son to the used guitar store to pretend like the cheap-ass ($50) guitar I was buying was for him. I've been playing for about two weeks and it's actually not too shabby. All in, I've spent $60 for the game, $30 for the cable, and $80 for a guitar, strap and picks. Damn. Now if I could only spend 1300 hours on this like I have on TF2...

Minttunator

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Wrath
I've been meaning to pick up one of the Rocksmith games on a sale - the only thing that's been stopping me is the fact that it doesn't work (without cracking it, at least) with a "normal" USB guitar cable and even if I get the game on the cheap, I'd still have to buy their overpriced proprietary cable. Either that, or crack the game - which kind of defeats the purpose of buying it. :P

Baron Dupek

Arcane
One Unit Whole Blood aka Blood with addons.
I made two early attempts to play it on my notebook, which is as much comfortably for FPS as console - just like shit. Not to mention GOG emulation is worse than PS2 games emulations on it.
Launched it on proper PC and got blast. Already finished 1st episode, now starterd 2nd on the ship.

Also trying Hexen, it was better deal than Doom, where only custom WADs were interesting.

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
I've been meaning to pick up one of the Rocksmith games on a sale - the only thing that's been stopping me is the fact that it doesn't work (without cracking it, at least) with a "normal" USB guitar cable and even if I get the game on the cheap, I'd still have to buy their overpriced proprietary cable. Either that, or crack the game - which kind of defeats the purpose of buying it. :P
I bought the cable on Amazon for $30 each, which didn't feel too expensive considering I paid $25 for the Stella adapter to add a C64 joystick to my computer. The cable is well made, and seems pretty rugged, but maybe $89 all-in for this "game" is a bit steep. I'm just shocked that you can buy this on Steam then have to fart around to get the cable. They should sell the complete package, and send you the cable. Why can't they? Eh, well, the cable breaks away from the main connector and they sell this as a "feature" but I think it may have something to do with using the same cable for the Xbox or PS.

Grim Monk

Arcane
Beat the main campaign of Shadow Warrior (1997).

Now playing the first SW expansion pack, Twin Dragon.

Euronymous

Augur
I just began playing Daikatana, my first question is: does this game have a fucking console?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom