Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

Minttunator

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Wrath
It's just like regular chess, but the movement of the pieces and the capturing of pieces are animated. The Queen wriggles her ass when she moves, and there are some fun capture animations. Most fun I saw was when a Knight check mates the King.

Ah, I see. I suppose I'd get annoyed with something like that pretty quickly. :D

Either way, it's brilliant to see I'm not the only person on this forum who plays/follows chess! I made a thread in the Gazebo to celebrate, in case anyone is interested in chess discussion.

RedScum

Arbiter
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
Sailed the seas for State of Decay, got it's moments but feels a bit iffy from time to time.
Also playing the new AoD Demo, getting killed left and right. Yummy.

kris

Arcane
I had a crazy period of playing mount and blade warband. Especially Brytenwalda and a Clash of kings mods. I completely overlooked this game Before, I had no idea I would get so hooked.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Played me some Helldorado. Wondering what profeshunal journos were smoking when they called this game difficult. Even without abusing the third person mode the game's pretty do-able, if a bit tedious.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Loaded up Minecraft, haven't played since 1.5.4 apparently. Started a new world—which sucks ass, since I had a vault packed full of materials, a nice house, a rail system for travel, animal pens, and plenty of farmland in the old one, but I wanted a fresh world for all the new updates—and am currently hiding in my poverty hovel busily making charcoal, stone tools, chests, steaks, torches and so on by night, and chopping wood and quarrying cobblestone by day. Next I'll plant crops and herd some of those fucking cows into a pen, then within a few days it'll be time to dig in earnest.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Finished Arcanum. It felt like totally reskinned Fallout. The Victorian setting was really something new, thanks to great music (it's really one of those memorable ones, like Morrowind one), some really good 2D graphics and quests. Many of them. So many that I'm sure I missed a lot of stuff. But that's what game replays are for. I only had a problem with bandits on the bridge in the Shrouded Hills. Thankfully there were two stun grenades I've found, and they sure help a lot. After using it, the enemies were like a dummies waiting to be slain. You probably could beat the game with them. Combat in TB was ok, the real time turned to be lulzy and I turned it off quickly.

I liked the thing about the shop vendors, when I tried to steal from them gold. I learnt they are infinite cash dispensers and like a good player use it to help me in my journey. The inventory and the flasks with mana/hp could be stacked in one slot for convenience, just like the arrows for example. As for the loot, I was given a sword with the quest by Sarah Toone and sticked to it to the end. Powered up by some rings and amulet, with high dodge I could dance around enemies. Well, the castle in the Ashbury was painful reminder of difficulty. Other than that it wasn't so hard. Went with melee build and in the end was beating everything like a boss.

Now I'll watch some LP of Chris Avellone to compare the playstyle.

Edit: :neveraskedforthis:

Last edited:

Grim Monk

Arcane
Playing Shadow Warrior (1997 Original), and I'm kinda :oops: stuck on the "Zillas Villa" level.

I've got the the Gold and Silver Keys, but it seems like I'll need to find the Bronze or Red one to advance.
But I can't seem to figure out where they are.
(I even managed to find all of the level's hidden secrets, but not the keys...)

A little help would :) be appreciated...

nil

Cipher
Playing Shadow Warrior (1997 Original), and I'm kinda :oops: stuck on the "Zillas Villa" level.

I've got the the Gold and Silver Keys, but it seems like I'll need to find the Bronze or Red one to advance.
But I can't seem to figure out where they are.
(I even managed to find all of the level's hidden secrets, but not the keys...)

A little help would :) be appreciated...

I was stuck on that level too, but don't remember the specific key colors. I think you have to climb up a ladder inside one of the fireplaces.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
For some reason I suddenly got an urge to play chess again, so I obtained a Windows version of good old Battle Chess.

This reminded me of another chess game with interesting capture animations: Chess Maniac 5 Billion and 1. Apparentely it's so well-liked that it doesn't even have a Wiki page....

Minttunator

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Wrath
I've spent the last few evenings on Dungeons of Dredmor. Got it when it was released, but haven't really played it until now - fun game, I'm surprised to find that I even appreciate its "LOL SO RANDOM"-type humour. :)

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
This reminded me of another chess game with interesting capture animations: Chess Maniac 5 Billion and 1. Apparentely it's so well-liked that it doesn't even have a Wiki page....
Hah, I remember this one. Animation were fun, but the chess game itself was terrible, which is why no one remembers it I think. The only real way to lose with playing intentionally bad was to activate the AI cheat mode (which also came with some funny animations). Battle Chess always played the bling card with animations, but underneath the glitz there was a reasonably good chess program. Same can't be said for Chess Maniac unfortunately.

spekkio

Arcane
Finished Dishonored - The Brigmore Witches

Pros:

- complex quests (even in case of fetch-quests, you often have to visit many locations to gather all ingredients),
- easy to miss non-linear stuff (interrogating the 1st witch, making Hatters neutral by making a deal with Trimble); can be considered a con, since you can kill/choke a quest-giver, before learning that he/she actually is one...
- witches are demanding enemies in combat,
- ties up the Corvo-Daud story nicely,

Cons:
- level design is not that great (worse than in vanilla and KoD IMO): small areas, very easy to move around freely most of the time)
- once again, turning on objective markers (quest-compass) is sometimes necessary (if you don't want to spend 1/2 hour looking for some obscure place),
- once again, doing something "out of order" can mess-up quest info (you can get info about something before actually learning about it ingame),
- witches can be dealt with easily, as long as you stick to stealth: too bad that they weren't made harder to choke/execute, good old Thief 2 introduced guards in iron helmets (resistant to blackjacking) over 10 years ago...
- the concept of Witches feels strongly inspired by Pagans/Trickster story from Thief,
- Daud is a little bit too chatty sometimes (sarcastic remarks, etc.).

tl;dr

:4/5:

AlexOfSpades

Arcane
Decided to pause Guild Wars 2 for a while and tried a singleplayer game for a change: Replaying Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines. Fuck, i had forgotten how much i love this game. If there's any game that goes to Deus Ex tier for me, its this one (patched of course).

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Last part of the UFO trilogy from Altair - Afterlight.
Based on Azira LP - 30% of the game behind me.

Two things that annoy me - game font that unreadable on lower resolutions (what's the point of giving tham anyway?) and teams that doesn't do anything for some reason. Even old game tell you why something doesn't work.
Like sending squad on mission to fix water supply (most important thing in the game, 3 days without water=game over) and everyone aren't ready because they sit in the apartaments and waiting to die from dehydration.

spekkio

Arcane
Decided to pop some moles...

VJnTb0z.jpg

Darth Roxor

Rattus Iratus
Staff Member
It IS a good game all things considered.

And shooting weak spots is for faggots who don't know how to use explosives.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom