Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

What game are you wasting time on?

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by Trash, Oct 8, 2010.

1. Harry Easter Savant

Harry Easter
    Cyberware just made it easier and I thought it would fit the character. Turns out without it fitted better this time.

^ Top  
  2. FreshCorpse Learned

FreshCorpse
    Yes, They clearly tried to improve it between DMC and Hong Kong but I still felt like it was poorly explained and just not a lot of fun. I'm not sure though how it could have been done in any other way without it devolving into a just another lockpicking puzzle

^ Top  
  3. DalekFlay Arcane Patron

DalekFlay
    Alternatively, the matrix is one of my favorite parts of both games. Especially when you're fighting a battle outside it at the same time, and it feels like a rush to get in and get out with the data.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. PulsatingBrain Huge and Ever-Growing Patron

PulsatingBrain
    DMC? Do you mean DMS, Dead Man's Switch?

• Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Darth Roxor Prestigious Gentleman Wielder of the Huegpenis

Darth Roxor
    the authentic jedi outcast experience

charge up a full bowcaster shot, jump on a reborn to knock him down, AIM FOR THE 'EAD

• Yes Yes x 2
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • incline incline x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Silentstorm Learned

Silentstorm
    Since Bloodstained is coming up, i am in the mood for Metroidvanias, so...Rabi-Ribi, the suprisingly good game with a bunny girl main character.

God, was this game always this hard!?

I mean, the areas are easy like i remember, but the bosses, good God, they have a lot of HP and lots of attacks that can quickly fill up a screen, apparently there are various bosses with attacks you can't even dodge which i swear i forgot about...or they were hard, after getting a lot of items and equipping some badges, i have taken down some DLC bosses without dying once which is different from what happened some other times, though apparently there are people who fight those bosses with no items at all and i can't see hating myself enough to do that.

Now, it's gone back to being easy, hooray for exploration making a game become so much easier, now i just need to take care of post-game content.

^ Top  
  7. The Decline Arcane

The Decline
    I was in the mood for some mindless action so I've been playing Earth Defense Force 4.1. Last one I played was EDF 2017 on the 360 so being able to enjoy the insane mayhem without slowdown is really nice. The only downside is my asshat brother not wanting to play co-op like we did in the previous game.

^ Top  
  8. Darth Roxor Prestigious Gentleman Wielder of the Huegpenis

Darth Roxor
    or wait for them to throw saber and then spray 'em full of blaster fire

Tavion is p. hard to gun down, though, because she keeps moving around like she's on crack, which makes tactical deep strikes on her head p. hard, and she also doesn't get knocked down from that reliably. Can't bait her into saber throw either, cuz she has the power at rank 3 which means it's homing, and that's bad news. Plus she has haxx0r that prevents her from getting knocked off ledges, so it's all p. tricky.

Fortunately, smart use of push can still knock her down, and that's when you move in and unload dat flechette into her roastie gob.

^ Top  
  9. Shadenuat Arcane

Shadenuat
    no-saber run, is that your tradition or trying something new?

^ Top  
  10. Darth Roxor Prestigious Gentleman Wielder of the Huegpenis

Darth Roxor
    Neither. I did only one no-saber run before, and was surprised to discover how fun (and hilarious) it was, so I decided to stick with it for future playthroughs too.

• nice nice x 1
    • Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Mark.L.Joy Savant

Mark.L.Joy
    Surviving Mars: Interesting start when setting base with drones and accumulating resources goes down hill from there with colonist domes mid game, plopping down building after building with no real purpose maybe to see green on mars? Maybe they could set research paths that make sense instead of randomizing them it would make setting up colonies less tedious and a less frustating path to end-game exept there is no end game.

2/5

It has magic negro Bill Negrease Tyson quotes

1/5

^ Top  
  12. Gregz Arcane

Gregz
    Borderlands GOTY Enhanced

• hopw roewur ne x 1
    • nice x 1
    • decline x 1
    • quality shit x 1
    • popamole x 1
    • :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Dux Erudite

Dux
    Brothers in Arms: Road to Hill 30
    aka Band of Brothers, directed by Randy Pitchford

Mein gott, this game. A WW2 squad-based tactical shooter complete with suppressing fire and flanking. All that good shit. One moment it's Hidden and Dangerous light and the next it's Call of Duty. It just can't seem to make up its mind. Imagine storming a village full of krauts, using actual battlefield tactics to defeat ze Germans... until a Panzer suddenly rolls up in your face. You don't have any AT personnel. No fire support. No armoured support. Because why would you? Then the game politely asks you to find a Panzerfaust somewhere to take it out single-handedly. Imagine telling your guys to get to cover and they instead decide to stand out in the open and then complain when they get shot. Imagine telling them to shoot back at the enemy only to find 2/3 of your squad staring into a bush somewhere whilst schreeching "I CAN'T SHOOT FROM DERE, SARGE!!"

To be fair, when this game was good it was actually quite fucking good. I remember this one mission where me and my squad had to overtake an abandoned building occupied by enemy infantrymen and a gunner perched on the second floor. So I tell my guys to distract the bastards from one side while I go around the other side and hit who I can with my Thompson before quickly darting inside the building. I make my way up to the second floor: kill one guy and then the gunner. I take hold of the mounted machinegun and proceed to open up on the krauts right down below me. Then when the building is ours a German counter-attack sweeps down upon us. I tell my guys to get into position and open fire and what ensues is a prolonged and quite engrossing firefight. For one precious moment this game really showed its potential. It's too bad it was wasted so badly.

The map design is strangely constricted and there are a lot of arbitrarily closed off avenues, denying you any real chance to move around. You're only allowed to move where the game wants you to move, basically. If the maps had been more open and the AI better, this easily could have been a great game. However, the game is indeed blighted by bad AI. The enemy intially gives off the impression that there's some dynamic flow to the fighting but that's just an illusion. Enemies will run out out of nowhere when you trigger scripts and then they get behind some nearby cover. If they're not suppressed they'll peak on set intervals and you can pick them off quite easily. Standard stuff. If they're suppressed they'll just hang around behind cover until you flank them. Eventually their behaviour becomes extremely predictable. Conversely, your squadmates behaviour remain completely unpredictable. Either they'll do what you tell them or they'll either spaz out or get stuck on some object.

The voice-acting is unimaginably atrocious. It's not original Resident Evil by any means, rather it's so aggressively bland and forced that you actually start to wish death on some of your own guys. Especially that motherfucker with the glasses who always shouts even when you're literally right next to him. Goddamn I hated him. He got jibbed by a shell in the end, though, so all's well in the world.

In short, this game is a rollercoaster of emotions - ranging from frustration, rage, befuddlement, mild enjoyment and overall dejection.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. unfairlight Self-Ejected

Self-Ejected
    I have Road to Hill 30 on PS2. I should replay that game some time. I remember when I played it I never let anyone on my team die because I thought they would die permanently.

^ Top  
  15. Jinn Arcane

Jinn
    Just finished up my second playthrough of Risen, with my first being completed about a month after its release in 2009. In 2009 I played as a pure bandit - fuck the mages and fuck the order. This time I went full-on Mage of the Holy Flame. Loved it about as much, if not more, as I did 10 years ago. But I think I probably enjoyed the last chapter even less than I did back then. Why the fuck did they decide to punish their playerbase with those final temple/dungeon crawls? It wouldn't have even been as bad if they hadn't padded it with so many ridiculously HP bloated enemies that can knock the shit out of you if you're playing on Hard. The dungeon design wasn't even bad. It just all felt like it should have been naturally interspersed through the entire adventure instead of all thrown at you when you can sense the end is near. All PB game final stretches tend to rub me the wrong way despite how much I love the games, but this has got to be the worst (excluding G3, R2, and R3). And of course the laughable final boss fight that is almost a relief after the several hours of shit that came before.

Annoyances aside, I return to my initial statement: I still love Risen to this day. It was such a return to form after G3, and such a joy to play. Now give me ELEX 2, PB! I've never played Risen 2 despite it being one of my most anticipated games before taking a 3-4 year hiatus from gaming right prior to its release. I have zero expectations and am going to be installing the Risen 2 Enhanced mod pack, with some rebalancing stuff, etc., so maybe I can find some fun in it regardless of its infamy.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2019
    • Brofist Brofist x 9
    • cool story bro cool story bro x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Barabus Learned Patron

Barabus
    Pushing my way through Kingmaker, on the Rushlight Tournament right now, not sure what I'll play next, maybe BALDURS GATE again.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  17. laclongquan Arcane

laclongquan
    You dont have to grind in Prince of Qin but you totally can and with great benefit (for crafter mostly). After 1/2 of the game you have a generally large list of locations for random encounters and you just spam them for the materials. Then you go to the post houses and put them on the ground like a packrat.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Bro, do you even lift? Bro, do you even lift? x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. laclongquan Arcane

laclongquan
    For your reference, chinese amateur authors write a ton of not-really-fanfiction for Baldur's Gate setting, but very rarely for Sigil specifically. Only one write about sigil scenes in halfway detailed chapter-length scenes, and some more in one or two paragraph if at all.

The setting is too chaotic and condensed to write any great thing about it.

^ Top  
  19. Abu Antar Tweet, tweet Patron

Abu Antar
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    I completed Divide by Sheep. Some sort of puzzle logics mobile game that is now on PC. It was a decent time waster.

I am now playing Freedom Force vs. the Third Reich. Charmingly cheesy and fun enough. Yet another game that doesn't seem to take ages to beat.

On PS4, I am playing Digimon. Still the Cyber Sleuth game. I'm at the penultimate chapter. Messing around with some of my Digimon. Gotta catch 'em all! No, wait... That's the wrong series.

I'm also trying out Knack via PS+. I doubt that I will finish it. Feels very by the books and uninspired.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  20. octavius Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

octavius
    HoMM 3: The Shadow of Death

Completed the fifth mini-campaign, Rise of the Necromancer, and got a new best score: 2215.

This was the best campaign so far, and the first map was quite challenging on Impossible. It was fun to compare with brave YouTubers, seeing how they save scum until they get Expert Necromancy from two treasure chests. :roll:

The maps changed to pure war maps, and the second map was a bit weird. There's lots of chained Border Guards, and the end "reward" is a second Necromancer castle, but before I had even found the first Tent in the chain, I had conquered all the enemy. With a secondary starting hero and lots of Liches it was possible to have more than one major army in the field. And in later maps I could have three different armies when I was lucky enough to get former high level enemies turn up at the tavern.

So overall the best official HoMM 3 game so far, but none of the highlights of Armageddon's Blade where you had those epic battles against Crystal Dragons and a Legion of Nagas.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Modron Arcane

Modron
    Qin has scaling though doesn't it? Better to just play it normal. You'll pick up better quality components in the later areas anyways.

^ Top  
  22. newtmonkey Arcane

newtmonkey
    Divinity: Original Sin
    I've finally after several tries got into this game. The game seemed to gate you through a somewhat linear path with 1) encounters at fixed locations/enemy levels and 2) keys/story stuff/etc. I thought this might just be the intro to the game, but other people confirmed the whole game is pretty much like this, and I had lost interest as I had just finished M&MX, which also has a similar setup of having gated encounters funneling you through a mostly linear path.

I guess I realized it's okay for an RPG to keep you on a linear path as long as it's got something else to make up for it. For D:OS, that's the combat (at least 7 hours in) and the exploration (linear, but thoroughly exploring each area often gets you some nice stuff). Also great is the soundtrack, which has gotta be one of the best ones in recent years.

It's a fun game, but it feels a lot more like playing some kind of Tactics Ogre/Final Fantasy Tactics game with exploration between story battles.

DUSK
    I couldn't believe the hype. Surely this must be some hipster thing; I mean, look at the graphics.
    Nope, I should have believed the hype, and this game is amazing. The best FPS I've played since FEAR. Amazing atmosphere (+ soundtrack), fast, plenty of exploration, fantastic level design, great weapons, memorable enemies, what else do you need?

Blood: Fresh Supply
    I continue to work my way through this one. It still seems really off from the DOS version or even from GDX/NBlood (for example, in original DOS version it's very easy to jump over a group of enemies chasing you and I used this tactic often, but in Fresh Supply it's hit and miss; also, crouching would often make you more difficult to hit by hitscan enemies in DOS version, but here it doesn't seem to matter). For the time being, I'm playing around with Lightly Broiled settings customized with cultist accuracy turned down one level; it's a bit closer to LB in the DOS version like this, though admittedly easier.

DOOM SIGIL
    I've been testing this on various source ports. It runs fine on GZDOOM of course, but no matter how I tweaked it I couldn't get it playing just right. Next I tried DOS on a lark, but it won't work with standard DOOM. After that was Chocolate DOOM but you get a visplane error immediately after starting the game. Finally, Crispy DOOM: this works fine and right now this is my preferred way to play it. The lighting/coloring feels more authentic (I know that's ridiculous since SIGIL was likely designed/tested using a ZDOOM or a variant) and I get a kick out of playing it at 35 fps with interpolation off so that it feels very close to the DOS version. Crispy DOOM lets you unlock the framerate though, so once I stop pretending I'm playing SIGIL back in 1991, I'll probably bring it back up to 60 fps w/ interpolation.

• Brofist Brofist x 7
    ^ Top  
  23. Catacombs Liturgist Patron

Catacombs
    Make the Codex Great Again!
    Been in the mood to play IE games:

Icewind Dale
    Planescape: Torment

^ Top  
  24. Abhay Savant

Abhay
    I will start playing NOLF 1 today onwards. Planning to approach the missions in stealth with 0 kills as much as possible, especially the Berlin scenes by experimenting with all the gadgets and using no weapons. I want to see how far can I make this work for all the missions (except the obvious missions impossible to get through without weapons).

^ Top  
  25. octavius Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

octavius
    Second map of the Unholy Alliance of HoMM 3: The Shadow of Death.
    Crag Hack too has had all his skills and stats reset (he had Expert Earth and Air, but now he has no magic skills), and I feel my incentive to continue plummeting...

What's the bloody point of building up a character in 4-5 maps, when you don't get the same character in the next map he's in???

• it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.