Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

What game are you wasting time on?

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by Trash, Oct 8, 2010.

1. unfairlight Self-Ejected

Self-Ejected
    I'm playing on Challenging, that's one step below the hardest which is Unfair.

• Kitty Kitty x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. pakoito Arcane

pakoito
    Just finished Victor Vran without doing too many sub-quests, 13h total. It's a very entertaining and lightweight ARPG. It's so delightfully self-contained. There's no story and the combat system is just fun. No classes, just outfits that specialize you. No skill tree, every weapon has 3 skills and that's it (which is what most ARPG builds end up looking like anyway). There's a bit of power creep but not much. There's some loot that opens new skills and it isn't just 5% improvements. Dungeons have challenges that are well defined. The levels aren't randomized so the designers were able to do some cute shit with encounter design and exploration.

I want to jump to Grim Dawn now, but I'm scared of the grind I'll find.

• Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Modron Arcane

Modron
    Play a hack and slasher without grind then like Siege of Avalon, Divine Divinity, or I guess Prince of Qin (has potential random encounters on map change).

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • nice nice x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. flyingjohn Arcane

flyingjohn
    Trying out kremlingames (crisis in kremlin ostalgie,china).

They all have the same problems:

-Horrible translation and grammar unless you speak fluent russian
    -Horrible ui which is useless at presenting any information
    -Bugs with many events which might never happen
    -Trial and error coupled with rng. You will need to play the game multiple times just to understand what influences what because the game doesn't tell you anything how different systems influence each other.
    -The games aren't really complicated,just obtuse and convoluted.

But the events are really well done and you have plenty of options how to lead your country.If you are looking to larp a communist country in a historical setting these are the games for you.
    I just think that the games fail in the strategy part and succeed in the cyoa part,which is not what i am looking for.

^ Top  
  5. Wunderbar Arcane

Wunderbar
    can confirm

source - i'm from siberia

• Despair Despair x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Darth Roxor Prestigious Gentleman Wielder of the Huegpenis

Darth Roxor
    Kyle Katarn marathon has brought me to Jedi Outcast, and I found a funny thing. When you kill imperial officers, it makes any stormtroopers in the area suffer morale failure and run. I'm pretty sure I've played this game the proverbial seven times by now, if not more, and I've never noticed this.

^ Top  
  7. Maggot Magister Patron

Maggot
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
    If you think it's bad now, it only gets worse and the final boss is a total slog on challenging.

^ Top  
  8. Darth Roxor Prestigious Gentleman Wielder of the Huegpenis

Darth Roxor
    You can get the final boss to bug out and stop moving by jumping on the submarine kiosk. It's much more enjoyable that way.

• popamole popamole x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Average Manatee Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Average Manatee
    The big difference between JK and JO is that JO has hardcoded neutral force power levels that game levels are built around while JK is designed for complete freedom of force power choice. This means that JK levels are completable with no force jump or force speed, so when you use those to get around obstacles it feels like you are actually a superhuman shortcutting around the level. In JO there is no such thing because everything is strictly designed so that e.g. force jump level 2 across an obstacle is the one way to progress and the way you aren't supposed to go is at force jump height level 2 + 2 feet higher. JO level design is a constant onslaught of disappointment every time you find ledges that are 2 feet higher than your current jumping ability.

Last edited: May 26, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • No No x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Darth Roxor Prestigious Gentleman Wielder of the Huegpenis

Darth Roxor
    P. sure Jedi Knight forces (ohoho) 2 or so levels in force jump upon you by assigning them automatically because a handful of places do require you to use it, so that's a negative.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Harry Easter Savant

Harry Easter
    Shadowrun: Dragonfall: Directors Cut. The last time I played this game was five years ago and I have to say, this game has aged quite well. It even gets a bit challenging on hard, but the reason why I'm coming back is for the questdesign, the atmosphere and the story. The writing is so good after the first scene (which starts a bit flowery) and I like the characters and how well the developers catched the idea of how Shadowrun can work, if you take the pulpy, over the top - setting serious. It's a smart story about a cycle of revenge, but also an exciting actionmovie.

This game is Shadowrun. It's dark and atmospheric, pulpy and fun and creative and crazy. I guess, I am in love with the freestate Berlin again. Lucky for me, that this game is at least thirty hours long, if you do everything.

Last edited: May 27, 2019
    • Brofist Brofist x 6
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
    ^ Top  
  12. Gregz Arcane

Gregz
    pet peeve

Last edited: May 27, 2019
    • Brofist x 1
    • Thanks! x 1
    • Racist x 1
    • Deus Vult x 1
    • Doggy x 1
    • Kitty x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. DalekFlay Arcane Patron

DalekFlay
    The writing and atmosphere/style are definitely off the charts good. I have quibbles with other areas of it, but those things are so good it can't be ignored. I'm actually playing Hong Kong right now for the first time (alternating with Mass Effect Andromeda because I'm a masochist) and it's not quite as good. It's solid, but the writing takes a bit of a step back.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Strange Fellow Criminal Lawn Forcement Patron

Strange Fellow
    I'm extremely disappointed that your misspelling of the word 'peeve' here was apparently not intentional, seeing as you've fixed it.

• Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Harry Easter Savant

Harry Easter
    I think, I know what you mean. I recently played the start of Hong Kong for comparison and for some reason it feels slower compared to Dragonfall: DC, because it wants to do more. And I think there are some changes for the better (graphics, the matrix and maybe the U.I. got a bit smarter, I think) and I also like the motive of the villain

Show Spoiler
    which is depressingly mundane and therefore quite realistic in my opinion.

but Dragonfall: DC does it a bit better. I think it's because Dragonfall: DC connects it themes and stories better and the villain is a bit more interesting and better build-up. It also waffles less, than Hong Kong (because it's true, they take a while to get to the point in that game).

Hong Kong on the other hand does its best to make this story more personal and adds a lot more humour and crazyness to the setting, which I also appreciate. And it still has some excellent quests. I will replay it soon ... after the mod for DMS, which takes the old module and just adds more stuff to it. I liked that story too and think it was the best paced compared to the other ones (and I kind of liked, that you had to save up money to hire other runners).

I like all of the stories to be honest :D.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. FreshCorpse Learned

FreshCorpse
    I played DMC and then for some reason skipped to Hong Kong which I played little by little over a very long period of time (a year? maybe longer), finishing the post-game mini campaign a couple of months ago. IMO the Shadowrun setting is at it's weakest once you start to get very supernatural which is unfortunately how both DMC and Hong Kong end. That said I think the writing, the setting and the plotting of individual missions is generally brilliant in Hong Kong. Looking forward to seeing what CDPR do with Cyberpunk 2077. Hopefully they are able to refrain from putting elves and dwarfs into it.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. octavius Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

octavius
    HoMM 3: The Shadow of Death

Completed the fourth mini campaign, Birth of a Barbarian.
    Hardest campaign so far, and I had to save scum on the third and fifth (last) map. Playing on Impossible it's very hard to get enough troops to defeat enemies that can kill any of your stacks with one spell. Expert Diplomacy helped. And it's amazing how useful a Ballistas is when you have 40 Attack, but are very short on troops.

I won by avoiding the main enemy hero, and captured their Titan enabled capitol defended by a lvl 1 hero. Main hero then suicided against her old capitol.

A common theme for many of the SoD campaign maps is that you should not get too attached to your starting castle. And you are virtually forced to focus on troops in the beginning and to fund your army with gold from Naga Banks and Dwarf Treasures instead of using a whole week to build a capitol.

Last edited: May 28, 2019
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. DalekFlay Arcane Patron

DalekFlay
    The big unique thing about Shadowrun is it being a cyberpunk setting with lots of fantasy elements, so I can't see criticizing it for leaning into that at the climax. If it didn't to some extent it wouldn't be Shadowrun, IMO.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • :M :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. RickOmbo Learned

RickOmbo
    Playing Discworld Noir right now, so far the story is a good blend between humor and noir tropes. Using in-game notebook to ask questions is somewhat refreshing.

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    • Goldfist Goldfist x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. octavius Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

octavius
    HoMM 3: The Shadow of Death

Damn, that first Rise of the Necromancer map is annoying.
    Sandro is limited to lvl 5, he doesn't get Logistics or Pathfinding, only Advanced Necromancer at lvl 5, and only Advanced Wisdom which is not enough to get a lvl 5 spell from the nearby Pyramid.
    In the meantime there are lots of enemy heroes whizzing around, from 4-5 different factions.

^ Top  
  21. Wyatt_Derp Liturgist

Wyatt_Derp
    X-COM - Enemy Within. Hadn't played it in some time. Just did the train/transponder mission and am about to do the followup alien battleship/recon mission.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. HansDampf Prophet

HansDampf
    I'm playing another weird puzzle game, Stephen's Sausage Roll. The goal is to roll sausages around on grid based levels, and move them onto grill squares to grill them exactly once from each side. If a sausage touches a grill twice on the same side, it gets burned, and you fail. The controls are very simple. All you can do is move your guy+fork around. But there are a lot of surprises on the way. The game explores its mechanics thoroughly, and there is also kind of a "wow" moment later on. And it's very hard, I'm getting stuck on every other puzzle.
    It feels like I'm about to reach the end soon. At this point, the game hat gotten so weird, I just want to see what it's going to throw at me next.
    So, the puzzles are great. The concept is bizarrely funny. And I would recommend this game to hardcore puzzle fans, if it weren't for the offensive price tag. Many basic features are missing, like rebindable keys or controller support (use Joy2Key). The controls will feel awkward at first, it's hard to get into it. The graphics are ugly as fuck (deliberately in parts). I can't even force AA. Changing resolution in the options menu does nothing. Consider all this, and that the game is now 3 years old, look at the screenshot, then guess the price.
    Show Spoiler
    28€
    :nocountryforshitposters:

Wait for a sale. I grabbed it for 75% off on the Humble Store.

• Informative Informative x 2
    ^ Top  
  23. Harry Easter Savant

Harry Easter
    I can see what you mean, but the magic related stuff makes the setting more versatile.I think they used the theme quite creative in Hong Kong and Dragonfall. In DMS it was just enjoyable how crazy the story got in the end^^. But it's true that it gets boring, the more you use magic as the maintheme. Doesn't help, that it is easier to get crazy with the monsters and the world, if you don't use the matrix ... which is my least favorite part of Shadowrun or Cyberpunkthemed games in general. I would like another noirish story the most, to be honest. Don't know why, but Film-Noir and Cyberpunk just work for me.

I finished the game today and yeeah, it continued to be great. My private challenge was a no-magic, no-cyberware character and I found it quite interesting. I always play the face with a knack for assault rifles. and it took me a lot of karma until the char wasn't killed off :D. Worth playing. This game aged like good wine.

^ Top  
  24. ERYFKRAD Barbarian Patron

ERYFKRAD
    Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    For real? That's how I always play.

• Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. newtmonkey Arcane

newtmonkey
    Hello fellow RPG gamers

Lately I've been playing Planescape Torment
    I might have bought this game back in the day, but I never put any time into it whatsoever... so forget about it.

I have to say straight away, that this is not my kind of game. I definitely prefer blobbers and have little interest whatsoever in reading a bunch of text.

Having said that, this game is amazing. It's simply some of the best exploration I've experienced and writing I've ever read in a game. In any other game I'd be pissed off at having to read paragraphs and paragraphs of this stuff, but in this game I am delighted. I played D&D when I was a kid but never had any experience with Planescape, so for me, it's this completely bizarre world to explore, and all the dialog I'm reading is just another part of exploring this world.

I know a lot of people say "Planescape is a JRPG in disguise." I really don't agree with that. I've played a TON of JRPGs, all the old DQ and FF games and even a lot of the 16/32 bit games; playing Planescape is absolutely nothing like playing a JRPG.

For one, the older JRPGS are pure tactical games; they are somewhat retarded versions of Wizardry or Ultima. As for the latter 16 bit or 32 bit JRPGs, there's no comparison. In Planescape you are free to explore this completely alien world bit by bit, learning more about the world as you speak with its inhabitants. In 16/32 bit JRPGs you are following an extremely linear path, talking to people who just say "This is Wintertown the town of winter" and that's it.

Planescape could not be MORE different from those games. There might be a JRPG where you explore a massive alien city, slowly gain an understanding of the completely unique world and gain some idea of what you need to do while you are also handed out side quests, but I've never played it (yes, I've played the SaGa games and they are awesome, but they are not typical JRPGs by any means).

On top of that, I get now what people were saying. Planescape only works as a game. Yes, you could probably write a story about the game. But would it still affect you in the same way as an interactive experience where you are slowly piecing the world together by talking to people WHO BY THE WAY never feel like they are just dumping exposition on you? It's a rhetorical question, but the answer is fuck no.

It is simply a pleasure to explore the world this game presents. It's not the same pleasure you get from building your weakling party through Wiz 1-5, mastering the system/game and coming out on top, but it's just as satisfying to slowly explore the world and piece together the story.

I don't think I'll ever switch over to the story darkside, but Planescape has tempted me more than any other game.

Last edited: May 29, 2019
    • Brofist Brofist x 15
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
    • :M :M x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.