Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

What game are you wasting time on?

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by Trash, Oct 8, 2010.

1. BlackGoat Arbiter

BlackGoat
    Someone should mod the goose as a playable character into MGSV

^ Top  
  2. BlackGoat Arbiter

BlackGoat
    Trying to get past the first couple hours of Tides of Numenera again before Disco Elysium hits. Man, no game has ever sapped all energy from my body faster than this. Every time I click on an NPC and there's that delay before the dialogue box pops up and then the first block of overwrought text that promises this won't be some simple click-click conversation but rather yet another special snowflake museum exhibit, I feel my life sucking away from me. It's just all so... constant and awful

• When words are not enough When words are not enough x 2
    • rolleyes rolleyes x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Verylittlefishes Arcane Patron

Verylittlefishes
    Have you tried walking between locations in PoE?

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. baud Cipher Patron

baud
    Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Just finished Serious Sam 2 for the first time, it was fun, but some of the boss were just annoying to fight, but I can't put my finger on why. Some of the phase in vehicles were good, others not so much.

^ Top  
  5. Verylittlefishes Arcane Patron

Verylittlefishes
    I fucking LOVE this game.

've been promising myself for years to make a rerun with HD remaster.

• Shit Shit x 2
    ^ Top  
  6. Verylittlefishes Arcane Patron

Verylittlefishes
    I always wanted to play Dark Souls, but the windows port (and my PC) is so broken that I just watched 25 hours-long LP from Eurogamer instead. Tv series of the year for me.

• Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Unkillable Cat Prestigious Gentleman LEST WE FORGET Patron

Unkillable Cat
    Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
    The problem isn't always due to the end bosses, but due to the fundamental differences between SSam 2 and... all the other SSam games. I could spend all day going through those, so let's just try to stay on topic here.

The first boss fight (giant gorilla) looks awesome at first, but then you spend the fight killing mooks so that others can kill the boss. Pretty anti-climatic.
    The second boss fight (giant wasp cunt with wings) revolves around destroying the recharge stations before taking on the boss itself. A rather tired mechanic, especially since SSam: SE did it already, and even with an insect-themed boss!
    The third boss fight (oversized sumo fighter) is actually decent for a SSam game. The destruction of all the scenery as he stomps about adds a nice touch.
    The fourth boss (Kleerofski) was annoying, not just because it is based on the same mechanic as the second boss fight, but also because of the whole "Planet Kleer" thing where the most annoying SSam enemy gets the spotlight.
    The fifth boss fight (dragon) is probably the worst one of them all. You have to gather ammo for the One Weapon that hurts the boss, while also doing platforming stunts to reach both the ammo and the One Weapon. Repeat as needed. Yawn.
    The sixth boss fight (giant robot) is the same as the fifth, except this time you first get the weapon, then the ammo. Otherwise it's the exact same thing. Double yawn.
    The final boss (giant fucking pyramid) has a glaring flaw that left me with a bitter taste in my mouth: During the fights leading up to the boss you get a hovertank vehicle. It does X damage and is pretty neat to have. BUT, once the actual fight against the end boss begins, another vehicle is presented (it even looks the same as the original). What the game does not tell you at any point is that this second vehicle does 4X damage, not just X damage. Meaning, that if you were skilled enough to last up until this point with the original vehicle, you will not want to get rid of it, even when another vehicle is presented. Well... that's precisely what the game wants you to do. Get rid of the first vehicle, and hop on the second one.

Now compare it to the known bosses of the other Serious Sam games:

With the exception of Ugh-Zan III needing to be 'damage-stunned' to be finished off, there were no gimmicks involved in SSam FE. He was big, he was bad, he had Really Big Guns. Take your Big Guns and fire them at the Big Bad until it dies.
    The bosses of SSam SE were overall pretty fair, even though they tried to introduce their respective themes. The end boss was a bit of a dick as his gimmick was pretty old, but still nothing to complain about, really.
    The bosses of SSam 3: BFE were a little gimmicky (especially the end boss) but nowhere near the scale of SSam 2's bosses.

Bottom line: There are a lot of reasons to hate on SSam 2, and they all have to do with the overall tone of the game, not just the end bosses.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Verylittlefishes Arcane Patron

Verylittlefishes
    Of course i mean the 2nd encounter

Ss2 is cartoon shit

• Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 2
    • /facepalm/ /facepalm/ x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Abu Antar Tweet, tweet Patron

Abu Antar
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    I'm almost done with Darksiders 3. Of the 7 Sins, I have defeated 6. It's a mixed experience, to be honest. I do enjoy the exploration and the stuff you unlock, but the main character is boring when it comes to the story and also feels a bit clunky to control. Don't get me started on the swimming sections. I have enjoyed the boss encounters, which is good.

Other than that, I resumed my Dragon Quest XI playthrough. maxed all graphical settings and then connected the PC to my TV. It looks stunning. It's also a plus that I can use my DS3 as I vastly prefer that controller over the DS4.

I'm also making good progress in Underrail. I'm at 60+ hours and just trying to see as much of the content as my current build allows me to. Great fun and some rage inducing encounters that make you feel great once you beat them.

• Brofist Brofist x 5
    ^ Top  
  10. Swigen Savant

Swigen
    Just finished Man of Medan. Not much of a “game” but I really dig this stuff as a fan of cheesy horror flicks. I’ll play through again to try and save the brats I didn’t the first time around.

Jumped back into Persona 5. High as a kite grinding Mementos.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  11. baud Cipher Patron

baud
    I've just finished XCOM the bureau (not bad if you ignore the XCOM name, passable combat (fun powers, shiny weapons, weak gunplay), average story that's badly told (I always felt I had missed some part of the story), with hints of a more interesting story buried underneath, but lost in development, interesting for the 60s feel, a few moments with spooky ambiance, some pleasing pieces of worldbuilding)

And I've started playing Tomb Raider the Last Revelation. I've only played the first of the rebooted games in the series and I had only ever played on-rail platforming games before (AssCreed), so the learning curve is steep, but it feels way more rewarding that just press X to climb (the save anywhere helps too). It also can't recognize the PS3 gamepad (well the game detect the left stick and that's it) I'm using on my PC, so it's keyboard-only, which took some time to adapt too.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  12. baud Cipher Patron

baud
    I played all the Half-Life games last year-two years ago for the first time and I found Half Life 1 had way more fun combat (more weapons, more enemies), even if it looks worse; in particular I found the gravity gun just a gimmick, funny the first time, nearly useless everywhere else (except that map with Zombies, but still not fun). The parts outside of combat in HF2 are better made, but I wasn't really interested in them ("What? I have to stand there and wait for the pseudo-cutscene to finish? Fuck you game!")

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Cael Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck

Cael
    After a round or 12 of Master of Magic, I am back in the mood for another IWD2 run.

Currently choosing between a few parties:
    The Drow Party
    1 fighter 2/wizard x
    1 paladin 1/cleric ilmater x
    1 monk 1/cleric bane x
    2 sorcerers x
    1 druid x

or

The Human Party
    1 fighter 2/ranger 1/barbarian 1/druid x
    1 fighter 1/paladin 1/wizard x
    1 paladin 1/cleric ilmater x
    2 paladin 1/sorcerer x
    1 monk 1/cleric bane x

or

Throw it to the Codex to come up with 6 characters to make a party.

What do you guys think?

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  14. octavius Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

octavius
    Completed Diablo 2: LOD 1.09 Normal with PlugY playing all seven characters.

All characters are fun to play except the Necro. Summoning and Curses is just too much micro-management, since you have to raise new skellies all the time. The other options for the necro don't look much better, though, except maybe Corpse Explosion. So maybe I'll go with the CE+Amplify Damage if I continue this character.

The other characters:
    Barbarian with Sword and Whirlwind.
    "Bowazon"
    Paladin with Zeal and Fanatacism
    Sorceress with Blizzard and Frozen Orb
    Dual wielding Assassin with Tiger or Phoenix Strike as charge-up. In 1.09 you can't use Venom and Speed Burst at the same time, which is annoying. This must have been changed in a later patch, since I've seen it as a recommended tactic.
    Werewolf Druid.

Found only one complete set: Cleglaw's.

Best Rune found was a Dol.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  15. Cael Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck

Cael
    Don't do a CE Necro. Big mistake. You will carve through mooks like crazy, but then you run into the lone bosses, and you are fucked.

^ Top  
  16. ERYFKRAD Barbarian Patron

ERYFKRAD
    Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Not enough barbarians, too many elves.

• Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 2
    ^ Top  
  17. Cael Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck

Cael
    I guess you are voting human party, then :D

^ Top  
  18. Watser Arcane

Watser
    Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
    Wasteland 2 DC.
    I think I have done everything in the first half of Arizona, just now entering the Canyon of Titan. Angela just left me, bringing me down to only one AR marksman. My damage output took a pretty hard hit, but I guess I should've seen it coming as she joined at level 8 right off the bat. All the shrines/XP I have wasted on her is bitter.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • gimme dem dolla bills gimme dem dolla bills x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. octavius Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

octavius
    Lord of the Rings party with one Halfling representing the four hobbits.

^ Top  
  20. RK47 collides like two planets pulled by gravity Patron

RK47
    Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
    Midget Mafia run imo. 6 Dwarves.

[​IMG]

You can delete the beardless retard and go for the 6 bearded ones.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  21. Cael Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck

Cael
    No casters makes me sad... :(

^ Top  
  22. Chaosdwarft Learned Patron

Chaosdwarft
    Well right now I am in bizarre phase.

I am learning how to fly combat planes in DCS. Very different experience from my Cessna take offs from the Twin Towers (yes the ones from New York) back in Flight Sim 98. :smug:

Still playing that Civ4 Caveman2Cosmos Persia Game I started 3 months ago. Doing small one hour sessions every week. Finally reached the Ancient Age! :roll:

Apart from that not much since real life tends to get in the way lately. :hmmm:

Cheers!

• Cheers!! Cheers!! x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. ERYFKRAD Barbarian Patron

ERYFKRAD
    Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Abandon this foolishness. Embrace the barbarian.

^ Top  
  24. octavius Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

octavius
    No casters?
    Gandalf was a wizard, and Aragorn could heal. So Human Mage and Half-Elven Ranger/Cleric, which I used in IWD1, or whatever is applicable in IWD2.
    Unless you're a real Tolkien purist, of course.

^ Top  
  25. Average Manatee Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Average Manatee
    I recall summoning Necro being so easy a retard could roll their face on the keyboard and defeat Baal on the current patch, all you had to do was max the normal skeletons and swap between amplify for trash mobs and decrepify for bosses. Must have either been changed in patches or you wasted too many points on the basically useless summons like skeleton mages (useless except for freezing bosses) and golems (think they scale better in Nightmare/Hell). CE is absurdly, cheesily OP at high level for clearing trash but definitely shouldn't be required for normal.

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.