Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

Catacombs

Arcane
Patron
Factorio... Normally I do pretty well in autism simulators like SpaceChem or Infinifactory (not exactly the same genre). Factorio, however, is not compatible with my brain, at all. I'm only playing the demo tutorial levels and am already overwhelmed. Literally wasting too much time building an ugly and inefficient excuse of a "factory" to craft one car.
rating_prosper.png

Looks like a fun and complex game otherwise. Not sure if continue or ragequit.
Stick with it. Factorio is top-tier autism, and when you get past its overwhelming gameplay, you'll love it.

Jvegi

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Tomb Raider Underworld
I'm enjoying the animations and the second level is actually pretty good. The combat is bad though.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Tomb Raider Underworld
I'm enjoying the animations and the second level is actually pretty good. The combat is bad though.

I barely remember Undwerworld but the combat is super bad in Legend and Anniversary. Everything else about them is oddly compelling though.

flyingjohn

Arcane
Fistful of frags.

Get drunk,miss point blank with a revolver and start a fistfight that ends with everybody dying from a random dynamite.

Real shame that the only two modes left with any population are only shootout modes.

D:OS
Fun combat system, but otherwise no redeeming qualities. Completed the first map and feel there's nothing else to accomplish. Getting a few screens for a little review I'm writing, then uninstalling. Not likely to play the second game either. My advice if you play this game is to ignore every dialogue and just murder everything you like while completely ignoring the plot and world-building.

Ultima VII
Trying to finish it this time. I always have a blast with it, then lose motivation around mid-game. Weak character progression and combat makes this is adventure game in disguise. Only there's little reason to chase E&A and advance the plot when you already have the world at your fingertips. Will play Serpent Isle after I'm finished with Black Gate.

Silent Hill
Left this after the first boss. A very different game from classical RE (had just played the first three games beforehand), to the point where they don't seem to fit the same genre, or at least the same generation. I like it a lot but need to be in a special mood to play, which sometimes must wait months. I'm not educated on the horror genre at all, will probably play Alone in the Dark next, then the rest of the SH games.

Dungeon Rats
So far, so good. Playing with 2 companions to ease myself into it, as it's been 3-4 years since I played AoD. 3 fights and no deaths so far. Pretty pleased with myself.

ebPD8PePfC

Savant
I've tried Xiangqi, which is Chinese chess. It has some cool elements, but except for the cannon it's too similar to chess. The cannon is the only thing that really requires you to think differently, otherwise the game is very similar in spirit.
So instead I've kept being bad at chess. After discovering the secret technique of not blundering the queen, I've managed to rise another 100 mmr points.
lichess said:
Games played: 1750~
Your Blitz rating is ~1100.
You are better than 11% of Blitz players.

Last edited:
:hmmm: You're reviewing the first map only I assume.

I'm not a gaymes journalist, don't worry. I played around in Luculla Forest for a bit, but realized the game was not going to get any better. What else is there that cannot be found in the first map? Should I go through another 20 hours of exploding barrels and corny dialogue?

To be fair, my first post was too harsh. It does have some redeeming qualities, like world interaction, polish and a decent amount of freedom, but many other negative factors cancel them out. I also bet it is a blast to play in co-op. Giving the benefit of the doubt as I haven't tried it.

Adon

Arcane
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1+2

:martini:

Do I really need to say anything more? Games were fun way back when, and are still fun now.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

Do I really need to say anything more? Games were fun way back when, and are still fun now.

I was never into skating, but even I had a blast with Tony Hawk 2 back in the day. Fantastic game. Is this a remaster of these games, are they a good one?

Adon

Arcane

I was never into skating, but even I had a blast with Tony Hawk 2 back in the day. Fantastic game. Is this a remaster of these games, are they a good one?

Yes, they're remasters akin to the Crash Trilogy with some added content and with most of the original soundtrack in there along with some new music. I haven't played the old games in a long, long time, but this feels just like how I remember those games. Worth a buy imo if you grew up playing these games.

Yldr

Educated
I finally got around to playing the Brothers in Arms trilogy (2005-2008) and... another one bites the dust. I swear, 80% of these "classics" rely on you admiring them from afar, certainly not playing them and finding out.

They have always been lauded for their writing and characters so that's what I was the most eager for, except this is arguably where they fail the hardest: the delivery is extremely clumsy with cutscenes that drag on for way too fucking long, ridiculous outbursts and useless dialogues as if from a checklist ("so here A makes a joke, B gets angry and officer C urgently separates them"). It's all so forced and artificial, one of the most extreme examples of "videogame awkwardness" I've ever seen, where you can always tell it's supposed to be the funny scene, the dramatic scene, the sad scene, except it keeps falling flat on its face due to poor writing, terrible pacing and subpar cinematography.

It's a shame because there's genuine potential in the story, all three games are directly interconnected and you have a strong tale of gloryseeking and mental breakdown. As a side-note I never saw any review or analysis of Spec Ops The Line making the obvious comparison, further reinforcing my point that no one ever plays these "classics".

As for the gameplay it's solid and there's undeniably a lot of fun to be had... provided you fix it first, because it's one of these games that are broken on purpose in the name of "realism". Once you use the mods that make the weapons more accurate and deadly, you end up with something pretty close to other tactical shooters of the era like Rainbow Six Vegas or Star Wars Republic Commando. I've always wanted to play these in a WWII coating, so Brothers in Arms did win me over in the end.

In short: in their original form they can be very frustrating and underwhelming, but use weapon mods for the first two games (the third is alright out of the box) and you actually end up with very enjoyable rock-paper-scissors tactics in WWII.

Last edited:

Jvegi

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
So I dropped New Vegas for now... I'm not sure why, I see how it could be good, but I also see the binary nature of it, railroaded dialogue, very little character expression, shit combat, ugly world, exploration filled with fun little things in big, boring, fugly industrial areas and stuff like that. I see how I could finish it some day, but I have not touched it in 3 weeks.

Eye of the Beholder 1. It really looks like it's going to be a phone game with very limited rpg mechanics and annoying level design. I might be wrong though, and even if I'm not it could prove to be a relaxing thing. Right now I'm stuck on level 2. I've opened one of the doors, I don't have a key, there is no way to open the other doors that I know of. I think I'm supposed to force those doors open or something.

M&M7 I'm about to start playing now, hoping, based on things I've read, it will be a more immersive version of EotB1. I was never able to get into any M&M games, but now I have the reference card opened so I can look it up when I don't know how to attack the creatures outisde of the first town.

SerratedBiz

Arcane
M&M7 I'm about to start playing now.

MM7 is one of the best games of its kind and generation, and one of the best games ever, period. Enjoy this rare opportunity (enjoying a fine classic for the first time) most of us are not privy to.

Yeah, I could never fathom why some people prefer 7 over 6, even if the class mechanics are a little more fleshed out. Mechanics were never MM's strongest suit, exploration and especially dungeon design were much better in 6. The dungeons in 7 are a joke in comparison.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Completed The Lone Knight for HoMM 3, made by the same guy who made the Eternal Love campaign. The writing was thankfully much improved; there was much less of it and it went from bad fan fiction level to an accepetable average amateur level.

This is one of the legendary HoMM 3 maps, up there with The Lord of War and The Empire of the World II, the latter of which I haven't played yet.
It's a very involved map, with lots of logistics (thankfully not too much running around collecting weekly's, though) with lots of items, quests and rescued heroes. It took me eight days to complete, so it's as long as a short full price CRPG , and I got my best ever score for HoMM 3 yet (496).

What I really like about this map is that it is quite open, with opportunity to develop and actually use several secondary heroes to mop up the weaker enemies, and even do a side quest. The AI is mainly behind barriers, but sometimes a huge army will pop out from a one way portal and put a twist in your OCD.

You can play as one of four factions, but the Necromancer is the canon one, and the one I played.
In game messages suggest you learn Logistics, Earth Magic, Water Magic, and Intelligence from nearby Witches Huts. One of them taught Archery instead of Earth Magic, so I fixed it in the editor thinking it was a bug. Turns out Archer is a very useful skill for a Necro in this map, though. Intelligence is not so important, since you will quite soon be able to build Mana Vortexes. Water Magic is a weird choice for a Necro, felt odd to cast Prayer on Undead troops. Expert Clone was very useful, though, especially when you have 15K Power Liches. Before I assembled the Cloak of the Undead King I had over 40K Skeleton Warriors.

Despite my thorough play style I still managed to miss a Seer who would have rewarded me with an Orb of Vulnerability, which would have made some battles much easier.

In the end the hardest fight for me was against the "fall guy" of the map:
EphFPlb.jpg

Spend like 50 turns casting Animate Dead until mana ran out, so in this case Intelligence was useful. OTOH with Archery my troops would have mopped up the enemy quicker...

The end battle was relatively easy with a stack of 15K Power Liches and the Clone spell:
nEvSytf.jpg

Highly recommended map for veteran HoMM 3 players.

Last edited:

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Finished The Sinking City. Good detective stuff and great ambiance and story. The survival horror action gameplay is... okay. Worth it for people who think they'd enjoy the setting and story, but don't expect amazing gameplay.

Just reinstalled Control for the Alan Wake DLC. So far it seems... like more Control.

Doktor Best

Arcane
I'm yearning for something like Outer Wilds or Subnautica, at least the bits about exploration and unraveling the storyline. Any recommendations?

No Man's Sky maybe? It received good post release support and is supposed to be okay to good right now, dependent on who you ask.

Silly Germans

Gunned my way through Call of Juarez 1. It is an excellent game. When i played it in the past, I wasn't to fond of the calmer sections with Billy where you did some exploring and climbing, but i must say that i really enjoyed them this time. The mobility feeling reminded me a lot of Thief actually. You can pull yourself up at ledges and the whip is pretty much a short range rope arrow. It even has some decent stealth sections where you have to run from bush to bush. Overall a great atmospheric shooter and the best one in the series. I also liked the setup of the campaign with Ray chasing after Billy, even if it is level recycling to a degree, it is done well.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Gunned my way through Call of Juarez 1. It is an excellent game. When i played it in the past, I wasn't to fond of the calmer sections with Billy where you did some exploring and climbing, but i must say that i really enjoyed them this time. The mobility feeling reminded me a lot of Thief actually. You can pull yourself up at ledges and the whip is pretty much a short range rope arrow. It even has some decent stealth sections where you have to run from bush to bush. Overall a great atmospheric shooter and the best one in the series. I also liked the setup of the campaign with Ray chasing after Billy, even if it is level recycling to a degree, it is done well.
Yep, only good game in the series, unfortunately, really fun shooter but instead of continuing with the formula, they gone CoD and the sequels are garbage.

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Yep, only good game in the series, unfortunately, really fun shooter but instead of continuing with the formula, they gone CoD and the sequels are garbage.

I had a lot of fun with CoJ:Gunslingers (except for the duels, which were mostly annoying), but I really liked the setting and having six-shooters and other non-modern weapons made it really different from CoD-style shooters. But I didn't play the others, so I can't compare.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Gunslinger is very fun because it's an honest to God arcade shooter, with all this entails. It doesn't try or pretend to be anything else, so it works very well.

CoJ2 otoh is your run of the mill popamole pretending to be deep storytellung and whatever other shit, so it falls flat on its face, and the weirdo first person cover shooting doesn't help either. Not to mention that it's just straight up forgettable all around.

Jvegi

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I've enjoyed CoJ2 a lot at the time. It looked good, it was different, competent, engaging... It might not hold up very well, but I wouldn't know.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom