Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

Finished the main chapters of A Hat in Time. Overall a solid platformer that I enjoyed more than Mario Sunshine. The main game was pretty easy but I'm assuming it's pretty much just a tutorial for the 114 Snatcher challenge modes. Has a pretty nice soundtrack as well.

Biggest flaws are the wonky camera in a few places and that changing graphics above the default is known to cause some crashes.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Finished Talos Principle and Road to Gehenna DLC and I enjoyed it. The main game has quite easy puzzles and a interesting story while the DLC is quite a bit more difficult and is much weaker in the storytelling department. Its a easy recommendation for a puzzle fans, if you liked games like Portal you will love this.

I started playing Age of Wonders Planetfall, which I got in Humble Choice and Im not too impressed with it.

Im planning to go on and play Jedi Outcast, since Im in a mood for a first person shooters and I never finished that one.

Mojobeard

Augur
Shadow Tower Abyss, emulated and fan translated.
The presentation is very Souls, but the gameplay really isn't. It's more about item/gear management. And it's first person.
All your gear degrades fast, and an upgrade isn't always around the corner. Repairing takes (a lot of) health, but healing is also scarce. Carrying spare armor and weapons is then obviously smart, but there's also a carry limit. You're constantly switching primary and secondary weapons just to deal with one room. And all of this is fun somehow.
The thing I was surprised about is the importance of ranged weapons. There's firearms, and they all need a correct type of ammunition, it's not just "handgun ammo", there's a 1911, a Nambu, a Derringer, and so on. Ammo can cost as much as a health potion, but as long as you're accurate, it's also usually the smarter purchase. The additional item management is really knowing when to stick to your sword, and when to save your healing by shooting. The guns are strong, a headshot can instantly kill an enemy, and since there's locational damage, you can also drop a flying enemy into a pit by shooting its wings or stunning it. Magic has been completely underwhelming compared to just blasting my M14.
The maps really are mazes, and enemies can respawn as soon as you've left the room. So you try to navigate as cost effectively as possible.
There's not much story, and only a few NPCs, it's not that kind of game.

I really liked it so far, am nearing the end. If you're a fan of Souls games, there's the fun of noticing certain familiar things, like one boss being basically just Seath. Keep in mind the game is very very slow, so a generous use of the turbo button can help maintain your sanity. Use type 4 controls.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Replaying Mafia 2. Originally it was to try the "Definitive Edition" but that version is really buggy. It does mostly look better outside of the weird eyes and a few minor quibbles, but there's just too much shit wrong with it including broken animations, missing grass, flashing textures and other little things. Also massive framerate drops in heavy physx areas, even with a 2070. So after comparing for a while I stuck with the original version and am now halfway through or so. It's such a weird game, not just for being a linear game in an open world, but also for forcing you to do mundane things so you feel like you're "living the life." I think this works well sometimes, like handing out cigarettes for a while before a rival gang comes to hassle you, but when you're just driving slowly from place to place multiple times a mission it can get pretty fucking tedious. Still, it has a style and mood that I dig and a once a decade replay sounds about right.

Also played the first two levels of Halo 3 and so far it's much better than 2, especially the first level which felt like a nice return to form.

cosmicray

Savant
Finished Talos Principle and Road to Gehenna DLC and I enjoyed it. The main game has quite easy puzzles and a interesting story while the DLC is quite a bit more difficult and is much weaker in the storytelling department. Its a easy recommendation for a puzzle fans, if you liked games like Portal you will love this.
Yep, Gehenna is way harder. I think I quit it on some puzzle I couldn't solve despite acquiring every block and star in the main game.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
Portal 2. Never played 1. Fun stuff. Puzzles seem just the right difficulty for me. Always loved the Source engine and it accommodates the physics here very well. Nice to take a break from Unity-based shit.

jackofshadows

Magister
Finally get my hands on ToEE (imagine being hopeless braindead Troika fanboy and didn't play it) and quickly stumbled on some nasty bug:
c3uHzVC.png
Google says install co8 but I don't wanna install any mods, at least yet. Is there any known work-around maybe?

jackofshadows

Magister
But isn't that mod adds bunch of other unnesessary stuff? I'm fine with small pool of races, classes "content" in general, it's just this kind of bug so early a bit too much.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Yep, Gehenna is way harder. I think I quit it on some puzzle I couldn't solve despite acquiring every block and star in the main game.

I didnt have a lot of problems with Gehenna until I got to star level puzzles. I solved all of them quickly, but on last one "Small Space Big Solution" I got stuck. I spent like an hour trying to solve it before getting angry and went to find a hint online. I would have probably solved it myself If I spent some more time with it but I just wanted to finish the game and move on.

Jvegi

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Temple+ did not run for me, but I think you can install it without Co8. Co8 has an option without new content. There is still a bit of new content added though. Not much.

The thing that matters is that the game is a fucking annoying mess. The UI, although commendable, will make you suffer, either through bugs or just its shortcomings. Temple+, to my knowladge, fixes all major bugs, and adds MUCH needed functionality.

But play vanilla if you like. Just be prepared to google bug fixes a lot.

jackofshadows

Magister
Alright,
rating_thanks.png
I think I'll try more but if this will come up again and again, then I'll give up. I mean, I'm not good at these games and need the damn loot.

Codex Year of the Donut
Finally get my hands on ToEE (imagine being hopeless braindead Troika fanboy and didn't play it) and quickly stumbled on some nasty bug:
c3uHzVC.png
Google says install co8 but I don't wanna install any mods, at least yet. Is there any known work-around maybe?
Install Temple+, you can disable most non-bug fixes on the launcher.
templeplus.jpg

co8 isn't needed, it's the one that adds extra content.

jackofshadows

Magister
Thanks, I have installed Temple + and ready to go after I fucked up with Arcanum start: took Idiot Savant to spice things up a bit with an eye to technology as well and after reaching Tarant and squeezing money for explosives manual saw that it gives me 1 (one) expertise point.

Turns out,
Characters with the Idiot Savant background will gain 1 point of expertise per manual, regardless of their Intelligence. This may be a bug, as the Idiot Savant background implies that the character should have no problem handling logical and abstract concepts, only social matters. Even characters with 4 or less Intelligence (but without that specific background) will still gain the expected level of expertise from a manual, e.g. 3 points if their IN is 3.
:negative:

maximusriley

Literate
Playing Civilization 4 scenarios on Diety. Nothing but frustration and aggravation for the most part, but I still keep clicking that End Turn button...

Kabas

Arcane
Patron
Stronghold HD
One of those childhood games that i kinda missed. That mission where you need to kill everyone in pig castle under a time limit made me realise just how much i hate the pathfinding in this one. Other than it's a pretty good game, looks beatiful and it didn't take long for the adviser quotes to burn into my brain.

Rune classic
This one i did try a bit during my childhood but very barely. Didn't even leave the starting village or something? Can't remember.
So, now i am playing it properly. A lot of "I want to avoid using the rune powers and have fun because of how rare they're and i can beat this encounter without them anyway". And a lot of lizard eating.
bicpWl1.png

I hope i am not missing out on anything because i choose to play the classic version instead of gold one. I heard that the some levels were simplified a bit compared to the old version. Intro logo was definitely way cooler back than, this i can remember.

Last edited:

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Finished Mafia 2. It's alright, I dunno. Very immersion focused, probably to a fault, but it works most of the time. Nailed the setting and such, but the story is pretty basic and just copies mafia movies most of the time. Combat is Gears of Mafia, which didn't bother me a ton since it's not really the focus of the game but it's pretty meh.

Quickly played through Splinter Cell: Conviction again. What a shit game. I had vague memories of it having some fun predator style "action stealth," which I guess it does here and there, but overall it feels like a clunky cover shooter. There are segments you can do in pure stealth early on, but the second half of the game they just throw huge waves of enemies at you one after another with no real way to stealth the encounter. Even if you want a Gears of Clancy game, it's not a good one because of its clunky feel and poor shooting mechanics outside of headshots. The story is also pretty boring and basic, with Fisher not feeling at all like the great character he was in the first three. Also the fucking thing had framerate variances all over the place even on modern hardware, going from 120fps to 55fps depending on which way the camera's facing (a well known issue according to google). Just kind of a dire experience, I blew through it action style in like 4 hours and wondered why I did.

Just installed Prey. I pleasure delayed this motherfucker for years, time to bang that hottie...

mk0

Learned
Done with System Shock 2, again I would've enjoyed this more if it weren't for the respawning enemies. The game also started to drag near the end, same issue that Alien Isolation had funnily enough, oh well.

So, Thief Gold... I was having an amazing time with it until I reached the Thieves' Guild, that level is fucked up.

Viata

Arcane
Today I'm planning to see how long it takes to finish DQ1 on NES if I play the game the whole day, without stopping. No guides, too. It's been a long time since I played it, but the game tells most of what to do by talking to NPCs.

Ghulgothas

Arcane
Decided on a whim to install and sample Dark Messiah of Might & Magic for the first time today. It's the only one of Arkane's catalogue I haven't touched yet, and I've been hungering for a fresh immersive sim to dig my teeth into since I wrapped up my GMDX playthrough a month ago. I'm also playing with the Unlimited Edition mod installed without any of the mini-mods it's packaged with.

Viata

Arcane
Decided on a whim to install and sample Dark Messiah of Might & Magic for the first time today. It's the only one of Arkane's catalogue I haven't touched yet, and I've been hungering for a fresh immersive sim to dig my teeth into since I wrapped up my GMDX playthrough a month ago. I'm also playing with the Unlimited Edition mod installed without any of the mini-mods it's packaged with.

Machocruz

Arcane
Finally survived a run in This War of Mine. It was only my second attempt, but that first attempt was years ago. I lost a character deep into the game and was too demoralized to continue like that. This time things went smoother. I used the starter team of Marko, Bruno, and Pavle. Was on the way to a pacifistic run, but a civilian who was peaceful before decided to attack me when I returned to the location, so I wound up putting them down with a shovel, which put bitch ass Marko into the 'broken' emotional state. That was the biggest hiccup in the game. Pavle almost died in a scuffle because I thought an icon I clicked put me in hiding, but it was just cover. That was easily treated with a bandage and a couple days of sleep, so not a major setback. Resources presented little problems. I want to do another run, but go the opposite way being scummy and aggressive. Now that I have a clear under my belt, I feel free-er to experiment with mechanics, take risks, explore the locations completely, etc. One of the best indie games I've played, easily.

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
Root Digital is an adaptation of the popular boardgame. It's an asymmetric wargame lite, and the adaptation is serviceable. Recommended :d1p:

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Yakuza 5
I've completed all taxi driving missions. Well, I did fail one mission, but I didn't bother to retry. I was driving a passenger that had an urgent need to pee, and he was also late to his job. I failed, he peed himself, and on top of that, he's now unemployed. I checked my completion % and it still counts, so I'm good. Now, I have two out of nine races left. I'll deal with those in time. Did all the training sessions with Komaki, and I'm almost level 20. I picked up all the trash I need to get an S rank, and I have finally moved on with the story. Kiryu is best Yakuza, but I can't wait to play as Akiyama. His fighting style is the most fun, imo. The game seems to be massive.

Geneforge 3
I'm just plowing through this. I don't think that I have that much left. This time around, I am playing as a shaper and I have 4 creations with me. It makes things easier overall, but I do reload if one of them dies. It's a pita to level them up again.

Eye of the Beholder 2
This is so far better than the first game. I imported my party from the first game, and I've already recruited a companion. There have also already been more variety in monster than the first hour of the first game. I would also say that the difficulty is higher in this one. So far, I have had three game overs, and I don't think that I'm even that far in. Srew gelatinous cubes, over and out.

I'm also slowly getting through Underrail and Dragon Quest XI. Once two of these five games are beaten, I will go back to Pathfinder: Kingmaker and Dungeon Rats.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom