Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

Cael

Arcane
Went back and 100%'ed Call of Juarez Gunslinger after leaving it half done a year ago. Good little game. Popamole, but fun pulp-western, arcade attack popamole.

It has reignited by hunger for another slow-paced RPG though. I've been eyeing Spiderweb Software's catalogue as part of my ongoing mission to get into more older RPGS from before my time, and their games have got the neat little isometric dioramas that drew me into UnderRail. Currently thinking over whether to start with Avernum or Avadon, since I hear Geneforge's first game is in the middle of a remaster.

BRO FUCK THE REMASTER

PLAY GENEFORGE OR ORIGINAL AVERNUM

BOTH JUST WONDERFUL GAMES
There is no original Avernum. Avernum was not an original. The original was Exile.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Since I haven't worked for half of the month, I have put in a huge amount of time gaming.

I beat Metal Arms: Glitch in the System. It scratched some of my Ratchet & Clank itch that I had. Less platforming, more shooting, but similar humor. It's a decent game that holds up fairly well. I didn't have many control issues, even if they feel a bit dated.

Tales From Off-Peak City Vol. 1 is a short, wacky walking simulator/adventure game. I didn't know it's in the same world as Norwood Suite, so I'll play that one as well. While I call it "walking simulator", you do talk with other people and help them with tasks, but it's not as deep as adventure games. It's a chill/surreal experience.

I'm also making progress with Troubleshooter, Geneforge 5 and Cyberpunk 2077.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
^Well, I played the Norwood Suite, also took me two hours. Just as chill and surreal experience as the above mentioned game by these guys.. Their first game is free to play on Steam, maybe I will take a look at that once I deal a little bit more with the backlog.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
A silly dream of mine has come true. I was browsing the Steam Workshop for different things to add to Football Manager 2020, because I got the urge to play it again. I found that someone had implemented the lowest divisions in Sweden. I quickly downloaded it and started a new career as my club. The club I have co-founded in real life. It's hilarious. There's no real staff or players, but the stadium name and stuff is correct. Cross off a childhood dream off the list.

The ascent from division 6 to Allsvenskan is about to begin! I'm also doing my best to get promoted with Boston United in the English Leagues. They start at the lowest division, and I am now sitting in first place in League One. Championship teams with decent squads have approached me, but I have resisted the temptation to move to a bigger club.

Azalin

Arcane
Patron
Finished W40k Mechanicus Heretek+ a nice little 40k srpg.The graphics are nothing spectacular since it's made by a small studio but the art style is good and makes up for it, the sound design is interesting,the story is ok, nothing amazing but gets things going and fits the setting. The gameplay is solid and the main attraction of the game, it consists mainly of missions where you search a dungeon from room to room with some CYOA choices and eventually some turn based battles.There are quite a few missions available,over 40 in the main game counting the secrets ones and the Heretek expansion adds 5 more, not that many but you get the opportunity to fight against some hereteks to break the monotony of fighting various Necrons all the time in theother missions.Overall a good game worth your time. Recommended

Also finished The Strange Brigade campaign playing coop with a friend.A nice third person shooter inspired to some degree from the liked of L4D but set in the pulp era and adding various traps around every map that you can use to fight the zombies.Bot much replayability though and it's not that long of a game. Recommended for a sale

Ivan

Arcane
Yakuza: Like A Dragon

Having a blast. By far the best JRPG I've played largely due to the most lovable cast of companions you could ask for.

Straight elf

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
I just finished Suzerain, got the best ending on my first playthrough :yeah:

I can heartily recommend this game. It is likely the first political simulation that does not force you to play a librul (you can if you want to but other playstyles are all very feasible and many are in fact easier/less dangerous), people/ideologies are not caricatures. Also relationships between characters are not Bioware "friendometer" (you do what someone wants/agree with them - good, do the opposite -bad). I have experienced several instances in the game when a key minister or the wife of my character made a completely unreasonable request, which I denied and they came back later actually agreeing I was right they were not being reasonable, in some cases actually proposing a good compromise allowing them to achieve some of their goals without making me to cross my red lines. Finally a game that doesn't force the player to be a pushover and rewards you for remaining firm.

Last edited:

cosmicray

Savant
Dragon's Dogma - Tried playing it. Took dozen mmorpg-style quests "kill monsters", "gather flowers". Not sure if I'd like to continue. Doesn't grab me, but combat is supposedly good. I think I just want to play some story-driven jrpg at this point.
From what I remember of my time playing it, don't actively try to complete the MMO-style quests, the rewards aren't amazing and you'll mostly do them as you normally progress through the game or while exploring.
Thanks I'll keep that in mind.

But for now I'm playing Whispers Of A Machine.
Also DXMD had a season pass sale, so I grabbed it to play two story DLCs.

Self-Ejected

Harry Easter

Self-Ejected
Back to Trails in the Sky: SC. Does everything better than the predecessor so far. I am even fishing. Nice.

Before that, I put roughly 21 hours into Dungeon Siege II. Gameplaywise it's more fun than the first one, but I really think the story was kind of a waste of potential. Because the actual writing of in-game books and the worldbuilding is really descent. They could've down something good with it, but instead it just became an afterthought. Sad, because you can really see that they hired a descent writer. Oh well, the gameplay is still addictive.

Learned
Reinstalled Doom DOOM 2016 because Eternal's Ancient Gods expansion was a bit too much. Finished New Vegas again. Saw all Cyberpunk 2077 endings and I'm done with it for the time.

Would you recommend Prey 2017 or Dishonored?

Jvegi

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Killed Hades for the first time. I think I need a break before diving into the endgame. So I'm playing Pyre. To early to say much, but it certainly looks and sounds pretty.

I'm also about to play Prey (2006). I hope it goes well.

fork

Finished replays of Silent Hill and Silent Hill 2. The first was even better than I remembered, while Silent Hill 2 is quite a bit worse, still okay, but honestly dropped quite significantly in my top list. Feels like Silent Hill for normies, if that makes any sense; less frightening atmosphere, less oppressive music, more focus on story, even more linear, worse combat. Kinda interested how Silent Hill 3 holds up. Probably also worse than the original.

Also finished a replay of Dead Space, which is still really good. The graphics held up especially well, the atmosphere is great and the gameplay solid.

Now I have to finish my second Dark Souls all bosses SL1 run (this time not using pyromancy). Just Kalameet, Manus and Gwyn left. Also started playing King's Field (Japan), which I'm actually enjoying quite a bit, despite the jank (the turn speed is especially atrocious). Many of the qualities of From's later games are already there, which is kinda impressive—it's been almost 27 years!

Also started the original Tomb Raider, which is so much better than the modern shit. Not sure whether I'll finish it or not, but it's quite satisfying to play again after all this time. The controls work very well for the kind of game it is.

Also finished a replay of Dead Space, which is still really good. The graphics held up especially well, the atmosphere is great and the gameplay solid.

as it happens i am currently playing dead space; got it yonks ago but only got past the first few objectives because... i dont really know; back in the day maybe i just wasnt into it or something; maybe i just needed to git gud

anyway; seconding gabel; graphics are nice, atmos is good too, excellent use of sound although the overwrought fighting orchestral noise is a bit naff after the nth enemy attack

no cutscenes either, straight into the action with half life 2-style exposition through npcs walking around and yapping while you loot containers etc; good stuff and something hl2 should be rightfully praised for and a forgotten tool by current developers.

still tooling around with my first weapon; ive heard from various sources that the first weapon is the best and worth fully maxing out.

is this still true?

fork

Yeah, still true. The Plasma Cutter is a bit overpowered. You really don't need anything else. However, I recommend using one or two other weapons alongside it, and trying all of them, because most of them are fun.

first weapon is the best

Some of them are better situationally, but the first is useful and strong all the way through and very worth levelling up. It's a powerful all-rounder

The Pulse Rifle is also a good all rounder that can do basically everything quite efficiently if you max out its damage. And you'll have enough upgrades to max the damage of most/all of the weapons IIRC. The game kind of plays up conventional weapons like the Rifle as being ineffective against the enemies but in reality it still deals exactly the damage it says, which in the Rifle's case is very efficient compared to the ammo it has.

Last edited:
The line-beam weapons are better for limb damage but yea tthe rifle is solid too
My point is that both weapons do exactly the damage they say they do. There is no 'better' weapon in this instance, the cutter doesn't actually cut limbs any better than the same amount of damage applied through bullets. It does require more bullets since the damage per shot is lower, and those can be harder to keep accurately on target, but you also get a lot more bullets per ammo drop. It's also like RE4 in that the game specifically drops ammo for the weapons you are using.

Also, just to be clear, the cutter doesn't get 3x damage if you line up all three points on the enemy limb or anything. That's actually the "wrong" way to do it, you get full damage as long as the beam hits the limb, so the easiest way is to aim horizontally at a leg and so on. Dead Space is designed for controllers and you can tell because this is how the cutters are "better" than the rifle, since with a controller its a lot harder to hit limbs with a pin-point gun, but obviously anyone playing with a mouse doesn't have this issue. The wider cutter can hit multiple limbs though and get extra damage.

Last edited:

PulsatingBrain

Huge and Ever-Growing
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
I understand how it works.

But there are multiple occasions where the best method is to get the limbs off first.

And that's just simpler to do with a line.

Also it's pretty fucking dull to go into a game with such interesting weaponry, then go around with an assault rifle that could appear in almost any shooter.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom