Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
News Content Gallery About Donate Discord Contact
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

NerevarineKing

Learned
Played the demo for Skald and it was very promising. Now I'm finishing up Eschalon Book 1 which has been a pretty good indie RPG so far

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
Lots of fun and a rough classic. Follows the old school logic of it would be very, very easy to lose this game by dropping something important somewhere or forgetting to get this or that enchanted. I'm still not sure I'll have everything I need in the end - I'm preparing for heartache.

The game has multiple endings (Bad, Good and True). You can only get the True Ending if you do everything right and figure out what a certain spell does, and cast it at the right time.

Let me know if you want to know more.
I think I'll get the good ending as I accidentally discovered what something was for after scrounging around for a hex editor to recover a few hours of lost work. Thanks for letting me know - I have no idea about a true ending but we'll see when the time comes. Im at the Titan's Fortress or whatever it's called right now to put in perspective where I am.

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
Lots of fun and a rough classic. Follows the old school logic of it would be very, very easy to lose this game by dropping something important somewhere or forgetting to get this or that enchanted. I'm still not sure I'll have everything I need in the end - I'm preparing for heartache.

The game has multiple endings (Bad, Good and True). You can only get the True Ending if you do everything right and figure out what a certain spell does, and cast it at the right time.

Well, thanks - I think I got it at the end (eh, I accidentally read something on one part), and the game they drops a major hint via a messenger. Always wanted to finish this, but now I feel a little beat up. The game was enjoyable, but the mechanics never really evolved past dungeon one. Sat up until 2:00 AM last night trying to get to the end, but just got stuck too many times and had to see every square - a bad combination. There were some nice touches though. You are one of 5 heroes you can select and throughout the game you intersect with the other heroes and such. Lots of charm but you gotta earn it.

After finishing this as well as Legend of Grimrock 1 and 2* I should be able to write a thesis on pressure plates. This took pressure plates to places they weren't meant to go. I may be done for the next few years on blobbers after this. Still nice to tie this up.

I was thinking on revisiting Eye of the Beholder at some point but now - I don't think I can. My score:
AnvilofDawnScore.png
* note: finished Legend of Grimrock 2, but didn't see the real ending. Never pulled it off... yet.

Keshik

Arcane
Hardspace released yesterday, I've enjoyed the game in Early Access. Is quite fun, bit of a relaxing game (although I still fail horribly at reactor extraction).

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Beat a few more games.

After five runs, I finally survived in Cultist Simulator. All previous runs ended with my character dead, or arrested. I haven't really played anything like it. It's card game, that I guess counts as a roguelike. It's my first time playing anything like it. It wasn't amazing, yet I didn't mind playing it. I could play something similiar in the future, but not for at least a few months.

I "beat" Absolute Drift. I got all the world challenges, and I got to the finish line in all races, with at least some challenges completed. This game can go to hell, as it caused a lot of stress. I still wanted to beat most of it, out of stubbornness.

I did a different Liverpool run in CM 01/02. I sold off every player, and then bought a completely new squad, with young players. I also alternate with the updated database, and original data base. On my next run, I'm adding myself as a 14 year old wonderkid.

I started F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin. My skill in shooters, or action games in general has declined, so I'm playing on easy. I like the atmosphere, although it doesn't beat the first game in that regard. It feels like the first game was more psychological horror, while this game seems to go for more jump scares. The level design is still good, but I think the first game edges it out in this area, too. Presentation is better than the first, but that's no surprise. I was offered to play the third game in co-op some time ago, but my lack of skill in first person shooters would probably make the whole experience bad for both of us. And I am also gaming anti-social, if I don't know the person irl.

I reached chapter 10 in Resonance of Fate. I was supposed to write deeper impressions when I reached it, but I am too lazy. In short: it's easy to learn, but hard to master. Positioning your characters right, and having upgraded your weapons efficiently seems to be the two most important factors. In general, it has felt repetitive for a long time. The only variation is the type of enemy you face, but with grinding, even that can become a slog. I was killing stuff left and right, but the current quests that I am doing are all higher level enemies, that barely get damaged by my weapons. This means even more grinding. On the production values, I can only assume that the game had a very low budget. It has fine models, and visuals for its era, but most environments look similar, and there are a lot of color palettes for samey monsters. Cities look cool, and monsters can look cool the first time you see them. Voice acting and soundtrack are both very competently done. I have also noticed something in cut scenes: Usually, there's someone sitting at a single table, and someone else standing. It gives a very simplistic feel to it all. I don't know if this is because of some theme or not enough money for something else.

I keep switching consoles between PS5 and PS3, but I've halted a bit on my Elden Ring playthrough. I hope to beat RoF before the end of July, so I can focus on ER once more. I might also pick up ER on PC, to play with my childhood bro. We were looking to do it at release, but the way it works was not the way we wanted it to. But now, I have read about a co-op mod that is being worked on, that will allow players to play the whole game together. If that one turns out good, we will be bro-oping the game.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy

Well, thanks - I think I got it at the end (eh, I accidentally read something on one part), and the game they drops a major hint via a messenger. Always wanted to finish this, but now I feel a little beat up. The game was enjoyable, but the mechanics never really evolved past dungeon one. Sat up until 2:00 AM last night trying to get to the end, but just got stuck too many times and had to see every square - a bad combination. There were some nice touches though. You are one of 5 heroes you can select and throughout the game you intersect with the other heroes and such. Lots of charm but you gotta earn it.

After finishing this as well as Legend of Grimrock 1 and 2* I should be able to write a thesis on pressure plates. This took pressure plates to places they weren't meant to go. I may be done for the next few years on blobbers after this. Still nice to tie this up.

I was thinking on revisiting Eye of the Beholder at some point but now - I don't think I can. My score:
* note: finished Legend of Grimrock 2, but didn't see the real ending. Never pulled it off... yet.

Congratulations, I understand you perfectly having had your fill of blobbers... at least for a good while.

Regarding the five characters in AoD:

The big strong fighter was crucified somewhere close to the cemetary.
The little gnome just hung around a campfire outside a fortress.
The goblin was executed by one of the Warlord's lackeys close to the end of the game.
Can't remember what happened to the women, though I recall one of them dying.

As for the endings:

Bad ending is if you choose to side with the Warlord.
Good ending is walking into the Anvil of Dawn to deny the Warlord its power, thereby sacrificing yourself in the process.
True ending is casting that 'Undo Death'-spell before entering the Anvil, thus surviving.

samuraigaiden

Magister
RPG Wokedex
Jade Empire. It's not an RPG. Lots of talking tho. Chinese people sound very Canadian in this game. I know it's short so I'll stick with it. I must avenge Fing Fong Fung.

Right now, Call of Duty Vanguard, and I have no idea why.

The game is absolute dogshit, and arguably the worst Call of Duty ever made.

It doesn't even have a good zombies mode, which is what would usually keep me coming back to them.

Who knows, my brain is probably mush lmao.

SumDrunkGuy

Arcane
Shitposter
Currently playing Weird West and loving it. This game is kewl af. Fuck all that other shit I wasted money and time on. This is where I needed to be.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
I've been having fun with Verdun but you really have to play at a certain time or most of the players will be bots. Isonzo might actually make me purchase a game at launch.

I've been having fun with Verdun but you really have to play at a certain time or most of the players will be bots. Isonzo might actually make me purchase a game at launch.
On the Xbox version, you actually get Multiplayer experience for playing with boths.

It's pretty dope.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
I enjoyed the Ashes 2063 Doom TC so much that i'm replaying it, this time on Survival difficulty (though I wonder why this one has less enemies than Arcade... hmmm).
Then I'll play the add-on, and afterwards the sequel.

Azalin

Arcane
Patron
Finished Shadow Tactics Aiko's choice standalone expansion for Shadow Tactics.It's an expansion so you get more of the same good stuff that was in the main game,the story takes place during the main storyline,you get 6 mission although only 3 are "real" mission the other 3 are mini missions and an epilogue.If you like the main game you are going to like this too although it could be a bit longer.Recommended

Ezekiel

Arcane
Entered a realm full of master hands in Smash Ultimate. Hope the board game is almost over, because I've been progressing through the same save on and off for almost four years.

Jack Of Owls

Prophet
Tried out a ray-tracing mod for one of my all time favorites - Doom. Prepare for a deluge of homegrown RTX abuse of classic games throughout the decades. I don't feel ray-tracing lighting/reflections look good in shooters with 2D models/environments consistently.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Inkedgypsy_LI.jpg
After 20 years playing CM01/02, this gypsy does the best season for any player that I ever had in the game. He basically won me everything single-handedly. (Playing in windowed mode, so I zoomed in, hence the blurriness.)

Last edited:

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Try Maksim Tsigalko :P
I've tried him and a few others, like To Madeira. But I rarely try to get those players. Madeira is a funny one, because it turns out that it wasn't a real player.

Krivol

Magister
I've tried him and a few others, like To Madeira. But I rarely try to get those players. Madeira is a funny one, because it turns out that it wasn't a real player.

In Poland, one of the game scouts added himself and his friends to team Gwardia Warszawa - try Harasimowicz or Swietochowski ;).
The funny thing about Tsigalko is his insane finishing and positioning (or off the ball, whichever is the offensive one, I don't remember) - it's not 20 actually, more like 30-40, so he is able to score like 150 goals per season (my record is about 90).

Oh, and the guy died a year ago :( .

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron

In Poland, one of the game scouts added himself and his friends to team Gwardia Warszawa - try Harasimowicz or Swietochowski ;).
The funny thing about Tsigalko is his insane finishing and positioning (or off the ball, whichever is the offensive one, I don't remember) - it's not 20 actually, more like 30-40, so he is able to score like 150 goals per season (my record is about 90).

Oh, and the guy died a year ago :( .
Yeah, I read about that.

Tel Velothi

Cipher
I tried so hard to get into Elden Ring for a good few hours. I really couldn't. Game feels like you are in some kind of dream. Story is almost nonexistent, there are very few npc's with cryptic monologues and that's all about them. Basicly everything attack you on sight.
Combat is very impressive, animations, enemy design is interesting, many attacks that you have to act accordingly, etc. Too bad there are no instant reset - there's a long loading screen after death. Game feels like a hack'n'slash with advanced moves and empty, open 3D world.
Game just didn't mesmerize me. Guess I'm just not a "souls game" fan, there are a lot of people that adore this game, but too bad that's just not me.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Top Bottom