Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
I just beat Sleeping Dogs, with 10 hours played according to Steam. Roughly 3-4 play sessions.
There was some really stupid mini-game shit in the game, like the phone tracing thing. The other mini-games weren't as bad but there should have been ways to just skip them.
The controls felt slow and a little unresponsive. But still, the fighting was pretty solid and that's probably the centerpiece of the game. What suffered from the controls were the "chase scenes" and driving vehicles. The shoot-outs were a little too popamoley for my taste. The "hide behind box and jump out in slow-mo"-move is just too powerful.

If you can't wait for GTA5, and can't be arsed re-playing GTA4 or Vice City, then this is a pretty good sandbox time-waster.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Jesus, 10 hours? Any side content or interesting stuff that would make you play it beyond the main quest?

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
10 hours? LOL Jebus.

Still playing Baldurs Gate Trilogy mod. WAY over 10 hours now. Hell I have not made it to the mines yet.

DarthBehemoth

Learned
Bought KOTOR 1 & 2 during the steam sale. Getting myself ready to finish the trainwreck that is KOTOR 1, knowing that once the credits roll, it will all start with a damaged freighter near the Peragus asteroid field...

Morkar Left

Playing Zafehouse Diaries and Shadowrun Genesis. Looked into Bloodnet a couple of times, seems to be really cool but will wait to play it properly till finishing Shadowrun.

Blade of Destiny. It ate a quest item I need for a map piece. I am vaguely annoyed. I want to skip to Star Trail.

You don't need all parts to figure out where to go ;)

Rhalle

Magister
Trying to do a full playthrough of FO:NV and all the DLCs, having played it when it first came out and completed probably about 75% of the content, but never actually having gone through with the battle for Hoover Dam.

Not sure I'll make it this time, either. My character is about level 35 and there's still a ton to do. I just finished the first of the DLCs, Dead Money.

And-- believe the hype-- holy shitballs is it terrible; six hours plus of: oh my god when is this going to be over. The characters are OK. The rest is garbage. It's so bad you have to wonder if they set out to make it bad on purpose, as an object lesson in terrible design.

Humppaleka

Cipher
Indeed, I've loved Dead Money and Old World Blues, maybe even Honest Hearts. BUT, there is one big BUT, I have become so sick of the vanilla combat I just set it to very easy and breeze through everything. I just don't give a shit anymore.

Ermm

Erudite
Just tried Dead Island.

Good lord. The shit stain of this ''game'' is unbearable. Have to find uninstall button. What? Dat shit has made me blind!!!!! VER IST DER UNINSTALL BUTTON?! I'VE GONE BLIIIINNNDDD.

Boyarpunk

Hey there, fuckface-uh!
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 Codex USB, 2014
On a space-themed kick, so I'm going hella old school with replays of Incubation (still awesome) and AvP ('99 release) with Redux mod. Xenomorphs sideways crawling and jumping out of nowhere still make me peepee.

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Wizardry 7, Frederik Pohl's Gateway, Return to Chaos, Infocom's Zork, FTL, Thief 2 fms.
Meanwhile I'm constantly hunting for interesting titles, such as text games with excellent 2D illustration.

Let me know how Gateway is when you are able. I read the books and enjoyed them, but wasn't sure how they would translate into a game.

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Let me know how Gateway is when you are able. I read the books and enjoyed them, but wasn't sure how they would translate into a game.
Both of the Gateway games are excellent, the first one probably a bit better. They don't follow the books in particular, other than the setting and advancement of events being vaguely analogous to the first few books in the series, but they're both very good as adventure games and have good stories.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Derpsiders 1 that I got for pocket change in THQ's going-out-of-business bundle. It's pretty much what you'd expect: mash A for Awesome hack and slash.

Repressed Homosexual
I made my first game in Warlock. Pretty good for what it is, but I'll wait until there has been another year of patching and content before diving in again. I have my new game of Arcanum to finish too... and a mountain of stuff. But now that I'm on semi-break, I'll have lots more time to play for now.

Repressed Homosexual
Now, I've ended up starting to play Majesty 2. My cousin is a tremendous fan of Majesty, and kept pressing me to play it for years. Majesty HD was included too in the Paradox pack I got for a song on Amazon.

I must say I understand why he liked it so much, it's so novel, yet so laid back, lovely and goofy. You do get overwhelmed quickly though, like when of your warriors or rangers dies, it's hard to know on which guild to click so you can train some others.

I remember a lot of people saying Majesty the original was better, is it true? Although this seems fairly solid with all the patches on.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
The original Majesty was a lot more 'free flow' in that you had pretty much zero control over the heroes -- their responsiveness to reward flags was extremely iffy. You basically just spit out heroes and watched them run amok. The responsiveness in Majesty 2 is a lot better although fans of the original complained it brought it too close to an actual RTS versus a 'fantasy kingdom simulator.' The ability to group heroes in Majesty 2 also increases their survival so there's less frustration than there was in the first where heroes would just wander off on their own and die. That said, there are still a number of glitches and flaws with the sequel but I definitely enjoyed it more. Put in 80-100 hours with all the expansions.

Derpsiders 1 that I got for pocket change in THQ's going-out-of-business bundle. It's pretty much what you'd expect: mash A for Awesome hack and slash.

Hmmm...still, is it worth the pocket change? I've also seen the disc for cheap at a nearby store. I don't like God of War, but if this doesn't have QTEs up the wazoo I might grab it out of curiosity...

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Well, for $1 you'd get it, RF: Armageddon (yeah, I know), Metro 2033, and the COH games. So unless you already own the others I'd say it's certainly worth less than what you'd put in a parking meter. Friend of mine keeps telling me it's a 'Zelda clone' but that's going off one of the 'newer' Zeldas (relative to me since the last Zelda I played was Adventure of Link on the original NES). Never played God of War, either, but I guess it's in the same vein. Sort of like Fable 1 -- standard hack n' slash combat while you hunt for items/upgrades. I haven't run across too many QTE's yet... just an inordinate amount of cutscenes and mini-cutscenes. There are 'execution' moves but that just requires you to hit a button once and you can ignore them.

ohWOW

Sucking on dicks and being proud of it
Dumbfuck Queued
I can't find that one game at the moment.

I play Homm4 and Heroes 6 a little, l4d2, a bit of Red Faction armageddon and shattered horizon online, stopped playing PlanetShit 2 and Darkness 2 few days ago. I got the newest Painkiller on the wait, along with Wargame, but I can't push myself to install these. I've promised re-runs on Darksiders 1 and 2 on the wait.
I want to finish this piece of crap Legend of Grimrock at last, but everytime I turn it on I quit after few minutes of tile-dancing and resting. It's just so fucking boring.

And come on, Red Faction may be papamole shooter, but for 2 euros it's definitely worth a playthrough.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Hmmm...still, is it worth the pocket change? I've also seen the disc for cheap at a nearby store. I don't like God of War, but if this doesn't have QTEs up the wazoo I might grab it out of curiosity...
Is a fun mix of God of War with a few Zelda elements (simple puzzles & some backtracking to get items using your new items), and it doesn't have QTE.

Repressed Homosexual
The original Majesty was a lot more 'free flow' in that you had pretty much zero control over the heroes -- their responsiveness to reward flags was extremely iffy. You basically just spit out heroes and watched them run amok. The responsiveness in Majesty 2 is a lot better although fans of the original complained it brought it too close to an actual RTS versus a 'fantasy kingdom simulator.' The ability to group heroes in Majesty 2 also increases their survival so there's less frustration than there was in the first where heroes would just wander off on their own and die. That said, there are still a number of glitches and flaws with the sequel but I definitely enjoyed it more. Put in 80-100 hours with all the expansions.

It's strange, I read people saying that Majesty 2 had less control.

Good to know you can group units, it would have been useful on the dark tower mission. His tower is surrounded by five magic towers who shoot at and instantly kill everyone who isn't a very high level hero.

I removed my markers, maxed out on all guilds, put the game on 5x speed for 10 minutes, and put a 20000 reward on the tower. Then it fell.

I hope the next missions consist less of irritating gimmicks, like a spell that automatically wipes all your small buildings unless you immediately start building a mages guild and update it.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Unfortunately most of the missions play out much the same way. You build up a force clearing out minor dens for xp/gold then send them against the big bad.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom