Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

Far Cry 2. It has some shining qualities and I've been finding it very fun, despite the limitations.

The African landscape is fantastic, you are absorbed into it. Seeing a sunset on the river, or watching the wind blow a fire across the savannah is really impressive. These are not decorative elements; the style of gameplay ensures that you're always observing things. You're usually navigating some challenge, either looking at the map, scouting for enemies, making sense of your surroundings. Is this the immersion I keep hearing about? It really works here.

The Ubisoft open-world style of gameplay is not bad necessarily, it's just a limited version of what it could be. Here it works pretty well, for a while. It's fun to take out enemy camps using your own strategies, to infiltrate a nest of enemies in the slums during heavy rain to plant a bomb, or simply to slowly make your way from point A to point B across jungles, rivers and savannahs. There isn't a great variety of objectives, with missions belonging to 3-4 types, so it eventually it starts to feel samey.

Because I don't play a lot of FPS, I started on Moderate difficulty; quickly switched to Hardcore, which didn't live up to the name, after which I decided to restart on Infamous difficulty using a mod* that fixed some annoyances with the game. Infamous is the only way to play. This is a game where you should spend a lot of time planning to avoid mistakes, it has to punish you. I haven't got to the end yet, but so far I'd prefer it to be even a bit harder.

Many have complained about the respawning enemy outposts--as soon as you leave a map cell the enemies are reset, leading to a lot of frustation, as you do a lot of travelling back and forth. Now, with the mod, they'll stay clear for at least 45 real minutes. It fixes bullet sponge enemies, makes the machete silent and restores some of the color to the beautiful African landscape; itt also features limited saving(like the consoles) and the option to remove the player marker from the map to make navigation truly a challenge, although this can make some of the delicate infiltration missions(i.e. blowing up enemy supplies in the middle of the slums) a bit frustrating, if you're playing them for the first time--still very worth it, imo.

The easiest strat is to use the Sniper Rifle to pick enemies far away, because enemies aren't very smart and don't communicate effectively. I find this kind of boring and prefer to get inside their range, using cover. This feels like a game made for stealth(some similarities with MGSV), and it still works, despite not being fully fleshed out. You don't get a lot of feedback on your visibility, you can't hide bodies, sound isn't very informative. It's still my favorite way to play: going out at night with a silent Makarov and clearing an entire outpost that way is a pretty good feeling, although more often than not something goes wrong and I have to pull my G3.

* I was confused by the number of overhaul mods that seem to do more or less the same thing. I ended up installing Tom's Realism Plus through the installer, which let me customize some stuff, like the saturation level(60% feels good to me; most modded games you see on Youtube go all the other way from the original and have very bright colors).

TC Jr

Scholar
Recently been playing a lot of PS2 games via emulation, mostly games I knew I loved already and for the most part hold up. I assume most will be familiar with these games but fuck it.
Burnout 3 is alright but honestly overrated. I thought that once the cars got to Super level the game should have been over two hours ago, but you still have like half the game left to play with no new tracks or cars, so it got really boring and I just quit. I bounced off of all the others I've played in the series too. Just not my series.
Consider playing Midnight Club 2 or 3 if you want a racing game with some difficulty. Midnight Club 2 is probably the most difficult non-sim racer I know of. Just remember to use 60 fps patches, they both have them built into PCSX2, although MC2 has a PC port too.
Yeah, it definitely wears out it's welcome.
Regarding Midnight Cliub, I'll try those, I remember playing the original and being unimpressed though. Loved the NFS games for that arcade-sim type of game.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
I've now reached Hollywood and I am assisting Isaac Abrams, the Baron of Hollywood, in finding a Masquerade violating snuff film made by someone...
My Toreador character is performing exceptionally, now I am going to visit Velvet and complete her quests.
You can also get a lap dance from her if you seduce her and complete her quests in a satisfactory manner, which I am going to.

Then I'm off to the infamous sewer area of VTMB, it can be compared to Arcanum's Black Mountain Mines, I guess.
I will be taking the shortcut though, no chance in hell am I going to slog through the whole sewers.

soutaiseiriron

Educated
Yeah, it definitely wears out it's welcome.
Regarding Midnight Cliub, I'll try those, I remember playing the original and being unimpressed though. Loved the NFS games for that arcade-sim type of game.
Yeah I didn't enjoy MC1 either. Very janky/inconsistent physics, chasing around the AI cars on the map to unlock new races wasn't enjoyable and it's not something I really wanted to keep playing so I didn't. MC2 probably made me lose a few hairs, but I loved it, and MC3 has a lot of variety, customization, the best maps, and is the most polished and best of the three.

AndyS

Augur
Pie Man. Food-based game from Penguin Software. You control a baker who has to assemble pies from an assembly line that increases in speed as you deliver them. The more pies you prepare, the more cluttered with garbage the floor gets, obstructing your paths, and occasionally a waiter staggering around with a huge cake will pass through the kitchen. Every time a pie falls off the end of the assembly line, you lose a life. Game feels a bit undercooked (no pun intended...), like it needed something to make it more frenetic. It's a bit dull, although the Atari 800 version is slightly more refined than the Apple II version.

I also got started on Skald. Still in the earlygoing, just got to the lighthouse. It's definitely pulling me in the more I play it.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Fallout 2, going for a melee big guns build.
Melee is pretty good early on. You start with no gun but easy access to melee weapons, so you can fight as much as you want with no worry about ammo management.
Fast Shot does not apply to melee weapons so you can still use aim shot with them, which is pretty nice.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Fallout 2, going for a melee big guns build.
Melee is pretty good early on. You start with no gun but easy access to melee weapons, so you can fight as much as you want with no worry about ammo management.
Fast Shot does not apply to melee weapons so you can still use aim shot with them, which is pretty nice.
Fast Shot worked with both Melee and Unarmed in Fallout.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Yeah, and they changed it in fallout 2 to only affect guns and thrown weapons. I guess they thought stabbing with a combat knife 5 times or a sledge 3 times with 10 agility in a turn was a little too strong.
Killing the Rat God with an aimed hammer swing to the groin is pretty funny though

MaxPaint

Literate
Finished TLOU, didn't play the dlc and uninstalled the game.
After a couple of hours, it becomes better but it still is massively overrated. The first mistake I made was listening to the internet and playing on a hard difficulty. Harde difficulties in this game just take away options and steamroll you into bottle stealth. And Jesus Christ the stealth in this game. The AI is worse than the first Thief and stealth arenas are worse than MGS 1. BUT the game has very impressive options list and you can tune difficulty. In the end I set enemy AI and damage to very hard, friendly AI to medium, stealth to medium and in all honesty very easy would've been ok just to skip it completely, and most important - loot to easy. With these settings enemies constantly flank you, are precise and deadly but you have enough ammo, upgrades and skills to turn it into a shooter. Also, the gore in this game is just slightly worse than Soldier of Fortune, very good. Overall, most likely will never replay again.

Finished My Friendly Neighborhood.
It was ok, I expected less. Unlike a lot of indie RE clones this one has it's own identity. The game is not scary at all, but the gameplay loop is classic RE which is fine enough for me.

Dropped Forgive Me Father.
The visual darkest dungeon-like style is the best thing about this game. Played only a couple of levels and it annoyed me. First, either a weapon or a flashlight from Doom 3 is back and I'm not a fan. Second, the hitboxes are wonky, I swear to God a couple of times I had clear headshots and the game didn't register them at all. And lastly, in those couple of levels the game locked me in the arenas the size of my kitchen with 1.5 dozen enemies. The arenas themselves are too small for the enemy numbers the game has, but also their models are rather big so you can't even strafe around most of the time without bumping the enemies. Meh.

Dropped Them and Us.
Oh, boy, I thought Daymare games were bad. Them and Us is like EVERY Resident Evil game put into one. No inventory like OG Chris with constant backtracking, no item boxes like RE0, "burning" bodies like RE remake, the UI is a straight RE 5 ripoff. Junk. JUNK everywhere, the controls are terrible, the sound is bad, it's just a bad game. At least I got jumpscared In the beginning of the game, when I caught a moving black shape right above my head. It turned out to be a zombie one floor above me, more precisely has shadow clipping through the ceiling. Yeah.

Next in line: Titanfall 2, Amid Evil and Far Cry 4.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Just finished all the main Chinatown quests in VTMB.
Rescued Barabus, a Nosferatu captured by the Fu Syndicate, which is a front operated by Ming Xiao herself in order to better understand and kill Kindred.
The Giovanni boss fight was easy.
Now I am finishing all the side quests left.
By the way, Celerity is crazy powerful. Presence is also great, acting as an AOE debuff. Auspex buffs your Ranged Weapon skill, Hacking and Defense and allows you to detect enemies and their auras through walls.
Clan Toreador has great clan disciplines.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Been playing some Shadow Warrior.
Really an awesome Build engine classic shooter that doesn't get enough press compared to the other Build engine heavyweights - Blood and Duke Nukem 3D.
I will go ahead and say that it is definitely the hardest Build engine game, can be balls crushingly difficult to the uninitiated, but a veteran like me has little problems, though those annoying Shadow Ninjas with their devastating attacks manage to kill me every now and then. Also a lot of secret areas, so you shouldn't run low on ammo and supplies.

Lo Wang is voiced splendidly by John Galt (R.I.P.) whom you might recognize as Manderley, Tracer Tong and Jock from Deus Ex.
He also acted in some movies and in some TV series. I think I've seen him in the A-Team?

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
I discovered an even easier way to get Bozar that's more lucrative than just stealing it -
> Aggro slavers in NCR
> Lure them to the gun merchant guards
> Let them shoot at you a few times
> One of the guards will get hit
> Guards then proceed to attack slavers
> Because the AI is stupid they will friendly fire each other
> Loot both slavers and get free Bozars AND get the reward from the Rangers.
The only downside is that Doofus will die and Buster may die because he will try to join in combat too. The latter is pretty unlikely though.

Also fast shot with throwing weapons is pretty funny. With agility 10 you can throw 3 grenades a turn.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
I discovered an even easier way to get Bozar that's more lucrative than just stealing it -
> Aggro slavers in NCR
The only downside is that Doofus will die and Buster may die because he will try to join in combat too. The latter is pretty unlikely though.

Also fast shot with throwing weapons is pretty funny. With agility 10 you can throw 3 grenades a turn.
I remember those guards having LSWs (Light Support Weapons) instead of Bozars, but I am playing with the Restoration Patch, so that's probably it.
Bozar is crazy powerful.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
> Aggro slavers in NCR

I remember those guards having LSWs (Light Support Weapons) instead of Bozars, but I am playing with the Restoration Patch, so that's probably it.
Bozar is crazy powerful.
I'm only using the Unofficial Patch, so that might be why. Restoration Project adds too much weird shit.
5mm AP ammo seems pretty shitty. I tried using it against Centaurs with my minigun and it dealt no damage. I had to resort to using my ripper.
Apparently the calculation is still borked, which is a pity because miniguns were great in fallout 1.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
> Aggro slavers in NCR

Bozar is crazy powerful.
I'm only using the Unofficial Patch, so that might be why. Restoration Project adds too much weird shit.
5mm AP ammo seems pretty shitty. I tried using it against Centaurs with my minigun and it dealt no damage. I had to resort to using my ripper.
Apparently the calculation is still borked, which is a pity because miniguns were great in fallout 1.
Yeah, it's the really weak ammunition.
5mm JHP loses its effectiveness against well armored enemies.

I also recommend you use the HK P90.
Another great gun, one of the best in the game.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
> Aggro slavers in NCR

Bozar is crazy powerful.
Yeah, it's the really weak ammunition.
5mm JHP loses its effectiveness against well armored enemies.

I also recommend you use the HK P90.
Another great gun, one of the best in the game.
That's what I gave Sulik because my small guns is only like 69% (nice). It does slap, but unfortunately since Sulik is a retard he keeps shooting me with it.
I should just always use the Bozar, but it's my first time using big guns in FO2 so I want to give them all a try.
Vic uses the sniper rifle. I tried giving him a plasma pistol but he didn't seem to perform as well with it, and he doesn't have animations for larger energy weapons so I can't give him plasma rifles.

Hagashager

Educated
Minecraft
Never got into it, but it seemed fun for the whole exploration and base building aspect of the game. Seems that they've added a lot of superfluous features on top of that basic gameplay loop throughout the years tho.
The game is simply fun. It is, in my opinion, the best designed and most visually straightforward survival crafting sim.

You've got Valheim, or Rust, or Ark, or Conan etc. etc. etc. But ultimately all of them pale in Minecraft's simplicity. It's the difference between Super Mario Bros. and its copycats.

There is a lot of bloat, but the criticism is overblown. It's still pretty rare to find any structures in the wild. Villages are more common, but not by much. You have to actively be looking for a village/mansion/fortress to find one. The last few updates have greatly incentivized exploration, so much so that the *mining* aspect is diluted now. You can and will find more iron in underground caves than in strip-mining at specific Y-levels. The building aspect is the same. You can build whatever you want. Most of the bloat relates to blocks that expedite certain crafting recipes and certain animals that drop nothing, they're just there because Mojang are Green Peace woke-scolds.

While the dev team are insufferable assholes, their politics are largely absent from the game. You'll get title-screen splashes occassionally like "ACAB" and "Amplify BIPOC Voices!" But that's about it.

There's a retarded meta that people do now where they scope out a village and just trade with the villagers for everything they need. If you're genuinely autistic enough you can get almost every item in the game by farming villagers and their professions. Doing this is genuinely mentally ill, it takes irresponsible amounts of time and is akin to writing lines in Excel.

The community for Minecraft is so utterly juvenile I don't even look in its general direction. Just...never google Minecraft or look it up on Youtube. The game is fun at any age. There is absolutely nothing you need from its "community."

Cael

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
> Aggro slavers in NCR

Bozar is crazy powerful.
There is nothing wrong with the AP calculation. You just have to remember 1 thing: it does 50% base damage, from which you subtract the DT of armour first before DR kicks in.

The JHP round does 200% base damage. That means a JHP round will do 4 times the damage of an AP round. Sure, it has less armour penetration, but there is no armour with 100% DR, so JHP will always do more damage than AP, especially if you score a crit which turns DR to 0%. AP rounds are completely useless for aimed shot builds, and extremely questionable for fast shot builds.

Spike

Educated
Just played a bunch of Soul Calibur II Plus, almost done with Sword Master mode

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom