Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

There is nothing wrong with the AP calculation. You just have to remember 1 thing: it does 50% base damage, from which you subtract the DT of armour first before DR kicks in.

The JHP round does 200% base damage. That means a JHP round will do 4 times the damage of an AP round. Sure, it has less armour penetration, but there is no armour with 100% DR, so JHP will always do more damage than AP, especially if you score a crit which turns DR to 0%. AP rounds are completely useless for aimed shot builds, and extremely questionable for fast shot builds.

I really have to wonder how a bunch of ostensibly nerds making a video game based on a TTRPG (at least originally GURPS) screwed up so badly in modelling the differences between AP and HP bullets like this. You'd think its the kind of thing some autist would immediately fix.

Be Kind Rewind

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
I'm playing Anger Foot, or South Africa simulator, I'd be posting this in the screenshot thread if the game wasn't so fast paced, too fast for taking screenshots during your first playthrough. It has the Dark Messiah kick and the lethality, level design and pacing of Hotline Miami, with echoes of breaching and clearing from SWAT 3. Not a big fan of the art direction, it's very soylent and this would have been a more fun game if it had some 90's edge, more Kingpin and less jewish degenerate trash like Sludge Life. The downside of South African White devs is that niggers have rubbed off on them too much, so the game is about stealing sneakers in Johannesburg (Shit City in the game).

It's a decent enough gameplay lopp, and the many goals give the missions replayability, along with the shoe upgrades you can get for your foot. The writing and style might be too reddit for me the finish the game though, it's very SA (Something Awful), a bit too Rick and Morty, too safe-edgy or safe-gross. Don't know if there's a name for it but there's a crowd that gets off on muppets acting like niggers and this infantile soft and pastel art style coupled with a hundred layers of irony. It's really putting my gameplay first stance to the test.

teBtQH8.png

sdlNtxP.png

Found the behind the scenes footage in the video below illuminating.

Kabas

Arcane
Patron
Still going slowly through Overload.
OverloadB6inp0YMpL.jpg

Levels are fun to explore despite all of them looking very samey. Takes me 30-40 minutes to complete each one because of my desire to explore every nook and cranny, despite that almost always manage to miss an upgrade point or two :mad:.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
So turns out the G11E is not an assault rifle, so I blew a bunch of loot getting both it and the G11. I guess Cassidy is going to keep using the Pancor, because I spent way too much time waiting for a single M72 to spawn.
Not going to wait for a gatling laser either because it seems even rarer, even though I have 188% energy weapons now.
It seems that you're supposed to use tag skill on big guns and energy weapons late game because you get a huge boost once you tag it. I leveled up energy weapons to 99% and then tagged it so it's really high now.

Going to do Oil Rig next. I'm level 24 with 12AP, fast shot and bonus rate of fire so my DPS should be good. Didn't get the extra damage perks though because I forgot they needed 6 luck.

Btw, fast shot with bonus rate of fire gives gauss pistols 2AP shots. Which is funny as hell. I kind of want to do a one handed and fast shot gunslinger next at some point, but it won't be for a while.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
I discovered an even easier way to get Bozar that's more lucrative than just stealing it -
> Aggro slavers in NCR
> Lure them to the gun merchant guards
> Let them shoot at you a few times
> One of the guards will get hit
> Guards then proceed to attack slavers
> Because the AI is stupid they will friendly fire each other
> Loot both slavers and get free Bozars AND get the reward from the Rangers.
The only downside is that Doofus will die and Buster may die because he will try to join in combat too. The latter is pretty unlikely though.

Also fast shot with throwing weapons is pretty funny. With agility 10 you can throw 3 grenades a turn.
I remember those guards having LSWs (Light Support Weapons) instead of Bozars, but I am playing with the Restoration Patch, so that's probably it.
Bozar is crazy powerful.
I'm only using the Unofficial Patch, so that might be why. Restoration Project adds too much weird shit.
5mm AP ammo seems pretty shitty. I tried using it against Centaurs with my minigun and it dealt no damage. I had to resort to using my ripper.
Apparently the calculation is still borked, which is a pity because miniguns were great in fallout 1.
There is nothing wrong with the AP calculation. You just have to remember 1 thing: it does 50% base damage, from which you subtract the DT of armour first before DR kicks in.

The JHP round does 200% base damage. That means a JHP round will do 4 times the damage of an AP round. Sure, it has less armour penetration, but there is no armour with 100% DR, so JHP will always do more damage than AP, especially if you score a crit which turns DR to 0%. AP rounds are completely useless for aimed shot builds, and extremely questionable for fast shot builds.
That's even worse. That's just pure incompetence that should never have gotten through testing.
What's sad is that some weapons have the penetrate trait, but the ones that need it the most (14mm pistol is a glaring example) don't have it.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
I discovered an even easier way to get Bozar that's more lucrative than just stealing it -
> Aggro slavers in NCR
The only downside is that Doofus will die and Buster may die because he will try to join in combat too. The latter is pretty unlikely though.

Also fast shot with throwing weapons is pretty funny. With agility 10 you can throw 3 grenades a turn.
I remember those guards having LSWs (Light Support Weapons) instead of Bozars, but I am playing with the Restoration Patch, so that's probably it.
Bozar is crazy powerful.
I'm only using the Unofficial Patch, so that might be why. Restoration Project adds too much weird shit.
5mm AP ammo seems pretty shitty. I tried using it against Centaurs with my minigun and it dealt no damage. I had to resort to using my ripper.
Apparently the calculation is still borked, which is a pity because miniguns were great in fallout 1.

That's even worse. That's just pure incompetence that should never have gotten through testing.
What's sad is that some weapons have the penetrate trait, but the ones that need it the most (14mm pistol is a glaring example) don't have it.
The .223 Pistol is one of the best weapons even with its ammo modifiers not working properly in Fallout.
In Fallout 2 it is even better.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
I finished Shantae: Half-Genie Hero.

:3/5:

It's a stage-based platformer with Metroidvania elements, namely, using abilities to unlock sections in stages you've previously completed. There are a number of major issues with this game. The first is that you don't unlock hidden sections so much as you break past a barrier of different sorts (a wall, underwater moss, rocks, wind) to get an item you will need to progress in the game. To my surprise, this is actually required to complete the game with the good ending. It is fairly tedious to navigate the stages just to find these "secrets" only to be rewarded with more health on an already forgiving game. I suppose it is much more enjoyable on harder difficulties, but even so you are still able to farm health restoration items with ease.

I didn't like the artstyle much but the boobs are well drawn and the female characters have ample hips and ass. The music is a hit or miss, some tracks are good and others get way too annoying. Stage design is nothing special whatsoever.

Overall I enjoyed it but it's far from great.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
> Aggro slavers in NCR

Bozar is crazy powerful.

The .223 Pistol is one of the best weapons even with its ammo modifiers not working properly in Fallout.
In Fallout 2 it is even better.
Yep, and the 14mm pistol should have gotten that trait too because 14mm is an absolutely absurd round for a handgun to have.
To put it in perspective, 14mm is roughly equivalent in diameter to .55. That is between a .577 or .500 nitro express, which are used to hunt big game.
Yet it tickles most enemies because it only comes in AP. I tried it out and it was pretty disappointing. :/
I suppose I should try out some of the community fixes, but I do prefer to play as close to vanilla as possible. I found that when modders make "improvements" they tend to add a bunch of silly shit to the game as well. Like nerfing Hardened Power Armour in Fallout Fixt so it only has 60% laser resistance or something without showing the new stats in the character screen :decline:

The NPC armour mod sounds interesting though. That is purely cosmetic and having invisible power armour is kind of silly.
Also having a personal squad of powered armoured goons is pretty cool.
Having a mod that highlights containers would be nice too. I did not know that there was a computer voice module in vault 8 because the container it was in was hidden behind a wall.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
The worst part for me was that the SFX used for the .223 Pistol firing in Fallout 1, could not be imported into Fallout 2 for some reason.

A pity, as there are so many souls in need of the almighty DOOMBLAST to end their pain in Fallout 2.

SO MANY.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
The worst part for me was that the SFX used for the .223 Pistol firing in Fallout 1, could not be imported into Fallout 2 for some reason.

A pity, as there are so many souls in need of the almighty DOOMBLAST to end their pain in Fallout 2.

SO MANY.
Yeah.
Sounded like you were firing a goddamn cannon.
A hand cannon...

flyingjohn

Arcane
Civ 1 for the snes. It is civ 1 all right, even has nicer graphics and mouse support. Japan replaces the Zulus.
Unfortunately completely unplayable because of the UI and general slowness of the game. Menus upon menus to do the basic thing while you can do everything in the dos versions with a single click or a keyboard shortcut. Late game turn times can be helped by fast forward but the small lag when you open up a menu is always there.
Ain't no sim city like port, which was actually pretty good.

Cael

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
So turns out the G11E is not an assault rifle, so I blew a bunch of loot getting both it and the G11. I guess Cassidy is going to keep using the Pancor, because I spent way too much time waiting for a single M72 to spawn.
Not going to wait for a gatling laser either because it seems even rarer, even though I have 188% energy weapons now.
It seems that you're supposed to use tag skill on big guns and energy weapons late game because you get a huge boost once you tag it. I leveled up energy weapons to 99% and then tagged it so it's really high now.

Going to do Oil Rig next. I'm level 24 with 12AP, fast shot and bonus rate of fire so my DPS should be good. Didn't get the extra damage perks though because I forgot they needed 6 luck.

Btw, fast shot with bonus rate of fire gives gauss pistols 2AP shots. Which is funny as hell. I kind of want to do a one handed and fast shot gunslinger next at some point, but it won't be for a while.
I thought Cassidy can use it? If not, give it to Sulik for the shits and giggles.

Gibson

Savant
tried factorio but couldn't handle it. it's a superb game, just not for me. in a few hours i was like
KZbox6Euq67l.jpg

and after realizing where this was going (impact on my time), i just uninstalled it. fuck that shit.

anyway, replaying starcraft 1 campaigns. hadn't touched the genre for a looong time and wanted to get back to it.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane

I thought Cassidy can use it? If not, give it to Sulik for the shits and giggles.
Despite being called rifles in their descriptions, the G11 and G11E use SMG animations. So Cassidy can't use it. So yeah, they are basically late game Sulik weapons.
I'm not sure Bozar works well with a Fast Shot build, really. The point of a Fast Shot build is so you can burst 3 time with a big gun, and you can't do that with Bozar because of it's 2 burst limit. I suspect that something like a LWS or M60 might be bettter because because even though they have lower damage they do have much larger clip sizes. The Bozar is a beast though. Easily the best Big Gun in the game because of it's obscene damage output and cheap ammo.

Last edited:

Cael

Arcane
Possibly Retarded

Despite being called rifles in their descriptions, the G11 and G11E use SMG animations. So Cassidy can't use it. So yeah, they are basically late game Sulik weapons.
My mania for never giving NPCs burst weapons means that none of them have anything more than sniper, gauss or .223 pistols.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Cassidy isn't too bad with a burst weapon. I found that even with a Pancor there's not that many friendly fire incidents with him.
Sulik though is a problem. You need to let him charge the enemy or else he'll burst you in the back. Sulik actually uses SMG as melee weapons, funnily enough, going for point blank bursts. Which is fine in a way.

Cael

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
Cassidy isn't too bad with a burst weapon. I found that even with a Pancor there's not that many friendly fire incidents with him.
Sulik though is a problem. You need to let him charge the enemy or else he'll burst you in the back. Sulik actually uses SMG as melee weapons, funnily enough, going for point blank bursts. Which is fine in a way.
Just give him the .223 pistol. It has a SMG animation.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck

My mania for never giving NPCs burst weapons means that none of them have anything more than sniper, gauss or .223 pistols.
Giving them Burst weapons is straight suicide even if you set their combat behavior to "Charge!", so that they try to get close to the enemies.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Or just a sledge. His best stat is Melee weapons, after all.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
He will get killed by enemies with good ranged weapons.
That's why melee characters are disadvantaged compared to ranged ones. You need to close the distance before you get shot to death.
Max AP and Bonus Move comes to mind.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
I think Skynet, Vic and Cassidy might be the best companions overall. I'm already past New Reno though and I want to do Oil Rig.
Cassidy is a beast once he reaches 10 AP and has a Gauss Rifle.
Skynet is also really good if you manage to equip it with the cybernetic brain, which I assume you already have?
It requires a Science of 130+...

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
I think Skynet, Vic and Cassidy might be the best companions overall. I'm already past New Reno though and I want to do Oil Rig.
Cassidy is a beast once he reaches 10 AP and has a Gauss Rifle.
Skynet is also really good if you manage to equip it with the cybernetic brain, which I assume you already have?
It requires a Science of 130+...
I haven't even done SAD, that's what I mean. I completely skipped Reno this run except to get free weapon upgrades from Algernon.
I suppose I could pick replace Sulik with Marcus, but I'm already geared up to do the Rig so might as well bring him along.

Cael

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
He will run in, get one swing and die in a hail of gunfire. I prefer my best pack mule somewhere far away.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Did Oil Rig. Killed the President, had to fight through bunch of Enclave with Pulse rifles (didn't know they had those, heh) and hacked the turrets to kill Horrigan. Granite somehow got aggro'd as well, so I didn't get Horrigan's death speech.
You have to hack the turrets before speaking to Horrigan, right?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom