Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What games did you complete in 2021?

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
This type of topic is actually very useful as a game recommendation guide. If you finished a game, you probably liked it, though there are plenty of spergs on codex that finish games they DON'T like too (ie FO3), so there's that caveat.

dacencora

Star Wars: Battlefront II (2005)
2_5.gif

These ratings are a travesty! Both are excellent games.

Mustawd

2_5.gif

Towards the end of SWBF2, I just wanted it to end tbh. The action was fun, but I did not find it enough to carry the game after the novelty wore off.

As for Portal, it was ok as a game. I am normally not a puzzle guy and this was no exception. Also, for me 2/5 doesn’t mean it’s terrible. It means “Ok but would probably have more fun with something else”. The 5 star system has 6 ratings (0-5) and 2/5 is right in the middle, which I think is accurate for these games.

I’m curious though. What did you enjoy from these games?

dacencora

2_5.gif

Towards the end of SWBF2, I just wanted it to end tbh. The action was fun, but I did not find it enough to carry the game after the novelty wore off.

As for Portal, it was ok as a game. I am normally not a puzzle guy and this was no exception. Also, for me 2/5 doesn’t mean it’s terrible. It means “Ok but would probably have more fun with something else”. The 5 star system has 6 ratings (0-5) and 2/5 is right in the middle, which I think is accurate for these games.

I’m curious though. What did you enjoy from these games?
To be fair, I never really played the single player campaign of BF2, but it was one of my favorite MP shooters back then. Great maps, excellent variety in unit choices, great game types (the Heroes and Hunt types being a ton of fun). The gameplay still holds up quite well IMO, and I think it’s still a lot of fun.

As for Portal, I just thoroughly loved it. I’m a big fan of puzzles, and if you’re not, it probably wouldn’t be any fun. I played it a couple of years ago for the first time and I had somehow avoided all spoilers for it and so I had no idea about any of the crazy stuff. It was really fun for me, and the hopeless atmosphere was very memorable. I played Portal 2 directly afterward and I didn’t like it nearly as much, though it was still a lot of fun.

On a 5 point scale I would probably give BF2 a 4/5 and Portal a 5/5, but that’s just me.

Unwanted
Dumbfuck
This type of topic is actually very useful as a game recommendation guide. If you finished a game, you probably liked it, though there are plenty of spergs on codex that finish games they DON'T like too (ie FO3), so there's that caveat.
Sometimes i finish games i don't like for higher quality shitposting.

I stalk the night
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin 2
You can't just drop a game you decided to play after carefully scanning your library of thousands of games, even if playing feels like chewing glass after a couple of hours :negative:

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
What games did you complete in 2021?

Wew, barely managed to get to 5 completed games.
Didn't quite complete Solasta, got bored near the end. Played some Humankind, couldn't get into it. Kept playing Europa Universalis, Hearts of Iron, Crusader Kings, Football Manager, Civilization, etc eternal time wasters that I frequently revisit.
Played some Hearthstone and MTG Arena, games I frequently quit and then make the mistake of reinstalling upon a patch dropping. Most of the year I was just watching various politics/history podcasts and documentaries, haven't done too much gaming. Hopefully when Baldur's Gate 3 releases that changes, I have a friend who'll run the game cooperatively with me, like we did with D:OS1/2.

Uncreation

Savant
Not as many as i would have liked, but most were good ones.

Desperados 1 :5/5::4/5: Excellent game, though it does have a few problems, like some of the abilities and the last mission which is a joke. Still, i replayed it because i heard about Desperados 3 and wanted to remember the first game before playing the new one.

Desperados 3 :5/5::4/5: Another excellent game though a bit different fro the first in the series. The changes aren't too big and i liked most of them. Also the last mission didn't suck. That's the only part that really bugged me about the first one, it sucks to have such a good game and end it on a lame mission like the first one did.

The last door 1&2 :5/5::3/5: Cute little adventure games, nice atmosphere, a bit short but great overall though the puzzles are not very challenging. Also they were a gift from a codexian in the give away thread. :love:

Shadowrun Hong Kong :5/5::3/5: Definitely more fleshed out than Shadowrun Returns which felt very bare bones. Almost like a beta. Anyway i really liked this one. The setting and atmosphere are nice, i liked the characters and even though there is no major branching out in the story you do have different options along the main quest. Gameplay still felt a bit eh and not very challenging. I don't remember remember what difficulty i played on, i think hard, but i only remember one fight being a bit challenging and even that depends on your choices.
I also liked Shadows of Hong Kong. Short but sweet and i liked the choices you get at the end. Felt a bit bad about Duncan but fuck that bitch!

Shadowrun Dragonfall :5/5::3/5: Maybe a 7.5, not sure. And yeah, i know that this came out before Hong Kong, but this is the order i played them in. I liked the story as well and i think it was a bit better than Hong Kong, but i prefer the atmosphere and characters in that one more. Most of the people here were kinda boring. Dietrich is an ok-ish bro even though he's an atifatard, Eiger is nothing special, Blitz is kinda funny. Don't care about the female edward scissorhands and what's-her-ass that get's her brain fried in the beginning. I think some of the missions were a bit thougher. Nothing remarkable but i had to reload every once in a while. I also think the difficulty could go up to Very Hard in this one, as opposed to just Hard in HK so that means they remove it in that one, which is just bizzare. Overall i liked this a bit less than Hong Kong but it's still a good game. And the ending was again very nice. Was not eexpecting to have so many options, and i was certainly not expecting to have one in particular! :D

Divine Divinity :5/5::4/5: Yes, i replayed the first one. I still need to play the newer ones. Anyway there is just something comfy about Divinity games. Not sure what it is. The setting is pretty generic, the storyline is also generic. The gameplay though is just very nice and relaxing. I can't really express it any better. It can get a bit monotonous in those huge dungeons, but that is the only part i would say is a minus.

Operencia :5/5::2/5: Never been a huge fan of the genre but this one is pretty nice. It almost feels like baby's first blobber. It's turn based, not very complicated and pretty short. It's also a very charming game with it's art style, atmosphere, characters. On the other hand it is pretty short, simplistic and easy but it's not bad. I will say, being able to completely reselect your characters abilities is an interesting mechanic.

The Temple of Elemental Evil :5/5::3/5: I never finished this back in the day so i decided it was time. Probably the best d&d game on the pc from a mechanical point of view, or at least the best one i played. The story is classic, but only ok for me. Nice feeling and atmosphere though kinda short. Overall a good game, despite some bugs and being a bit too short for this kind of game for my liking.

Planescape: Torment :5/5::5/5: Yeah, it felt nice to replay it. :)

SW KotoR :5/5::4/5: Much to my shame i never played this one until now. I was just never a very big SW fan, but i kept hearing praises for this and the second one and decided i should play it. And i don't regret it, it was a great game! I thought the controls would be clunky, based on some gameplay footage i had seen, but i got used to them fast and had no issue. Nice story and some cool characters, a great game overall!

And yeah i played the second one too, but i finished that this year so you will have to wait until next year to hear what i thought. :P

Oh, and also a lot of Mtg Arena, WoW Classic and Slay the spire. I'm not sure when you can say you finished one of them, but i did play hundreds of hours of each this year.

Nioh 2: Complete Edition - 10/10
Death’s Door - 7/10
Inscryption - 7/10
Persona 5 Royal - 9/10
Persona 4 Golden - 9/10
Persona 3 FES - 9/10
Cruelty Squad - 10/10
Disco Elysium: The Final Cut - 10/10
Resident Evil Village - 7/10
Resident Evil 2 Remake - 8/10
Resident Evil 3 Remake - 7/10
Resident Evil 7 - 8/10
Red Dead Redemption 2 - 10/10
Mass Effect: Legendary Edition - 8/10
Mutant Year Zero: Road to Eden - 8/10
Marvel’s Guardians of the Galaxy - 3/10
Dark Souls III - 8/10
Shin Megami Tensei V - 9/10
God Hand - 10/10
Beholder - 5/10
No More Heroes - 8/10
No More Heroes 2 - 5/10
No More Heroes 3 - 8/10
Deadly Premonition - 10/10
Deadly Premonition 2 - 5/10
Deathloop - 6/10
It Takes Two - 8/10
Tales of Arise - 6/10
Control: Ultimate Edition - 8/10
Psychonauts 2 - 8/10
Paradise Killer - 6/10
Outer Wilds - 5/10
Outer Worlds - 5/10
Hitman 3 - 9/10

These are all correct ratings btw

Last edited:

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
There's a lot of people on RPG Codex who didn't finish any RPGs last year.

Eisen

Learned
Ultima 1 :4/5:
System Shock 1 :5/5:
Legend Of Grimrock :4/5:
Quake 2 :3/5:
Thief 1 :5/5:
Shadowrun Dragonfall :5/5:
Lands of Lore :4/5:

Replay:
Quake
Megaman X6
Serious Sam TFE
Quake 3(Yes, the "campaign")

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom