Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What is the best RPG of the CRPG Renaissance?

Best CRPGs 2012-2021

• Legend of Grimrock

Votes: 19 7.5%
  • Dead State (ReAnimated)

Votes: 4 1.6%
  • Divinity: Original Sin

Votes: 18 7.1%
  • Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition

• Baldur's Gate 2: Enhanced Edition

Votes: 5 2.0%
  • Baldur's Gate: Siege of Dragonspear

Votes: 3 1.2%
  • Icewind Dale: Enhanced Edition

• Planescape: Torment: Enhanced Edition

Votes: 8 3.2%
  • Shadowrun Returns

Votes: 2 0.8%
  • Shadowrun: Dragonfall

Votes: 61 24.2%
  • Shadowrun: Hong Kong

• Legend of Grimrock II

Votes: 18 7.1%
  • Might and Magic X: Legacy

• Lords of Xulima

Votes: 9 3.6%
  • Grimoire: Heralds of the Winged Exemplar

Votes: 43 17.1%
  • ELEX

Votes: 30 11.9%
  • NEO Scavenger

Votes: 19 7.5%
  • Wasteland 2

Votes: 11 4.4%
  • Legends of Eisenwald

• Pillars of Eternity

Votes: 20 7.9%
  • The Age of Decadence

Votes: 60 23.8%
  • Underrail

Votes: 84 33.3%
  • Darkest Dungeon

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Divinity: Original Sin 2

Votes: 23 9.1%
  • Tyranny

Votes: 12 4.8%
  • Torment: Tides of Numenara

• Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire

Votes: 17 6.7%
  • Pathfinder: Kingmaker

Votes: 99 39.3%
  • Disco Elysium

Votes: 57 22.6%
  • Paranoia: Happiness is Mandatory

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Stygian: Reign of the Old Ones

• Heroine's Quest

Votes: 11 4.4%
  • Battle Brothers

Votes: 23 9.1%
  • Expedition: Conquistadors

Votes: 14 5.6%
  • Expedition: Vikings

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • Vaporum

• Vaporum: Lockdown

• Starcrawlers

• Serpent in the Staglands

• ATOM

• Caves of Qud

• Kingdom Come: Deliverance

Votes: 34 13.5%
  • Star Traders

• Tales of Maj'Eyal

• Voidspire Tactics

• Alvora Tactics

• Satellite Reign

• Kenshi

• Troubleshooter

Votes: 5 2.0%
  • Dungeon of Naheulbeuk

• Wasteland 3

Votes: 9 3.6%
  • Knights of the Chalice 2

Votes: 10 4.0%
  • Quest for Infamy

• Blackguards

• Blackguards 2

• Dungeon Rats

Votes: 7 2.8%
  • A Legionary's Life

• Total voters

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
GD doesn't belong here for the same reason Diablo doesn't, ARPGs are not RPGs, just like JRPGs.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Mine would be: Elex, Underrail, Disco Elysium. Plus the Witcher 3, Kingdom Come: Deliverance and Atom RPG, which for some reason did not get into the list. For me each of them is a classic. There were also many fine games, like Shadowrun Dragonfall and Hong Kong, Age and Decadence. I did not play Dead State, Pathfinder: Kingmaker or Neo Scavenger but I've heard lots of good things about them.

Overall, CRPG Renaissance proves to be quite a decent era for the genre.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
Voted for Battle Brothers, Underrail, NEO Scavenger, Heroine's Quest and Lords of Xulima.

Why waste vote slots for BG: Enchanted editions?
There are more interesting new stuff around like ATOM or Caves of Qud for example.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
I've seen a bunch of clickbaity articles/lists about this, but as far as I know our prestigious community has not given an official rating/ranking on this. Here's my extremely unscientific attempt at rectifying this. Not including console/popamole/weeb stuff because I don't care. Pick up to 5 and call me a dumbfuck if I've forgotten your favorite (going off of wikipedia + my old-fart memory so I'm sure I've omitted some notable ones).

Mine are Grimrock 2, Kingmaker, and ELEX.

Edit: And Heroine’s Quest. More people should play that game. It’s fucking great.

Darkest Dungeon RPGness = 0%
Battle Brothers, not a RPG, or add Warbanners and Vigilantes which at least have something of a story and setting.

Starcrawlers: Not a RPG either, it's mission based and those missions are randomly generated.

Disco Elysium: cheap adventure game
Paranoia: Happiness is Mandatory, never played it but i doubt that thing is a RPG either.

Also, where the fuck is Knights of the Chalice 2?
And ATOM RPG?

Also, if you add Heroine Quest, which is Adventure/RPG, Quest For Infamy should make the list too, it's the exact same genre with very similar gameplay.

Last but not least, i didn't know we were in 2221 and there was a consensus on video games ages, so drop the dates and Add Knights of the Chalice to the list too, it's way better than everything else on that list.

Radiane

Cipher
The "EEs" are still included in this list, while the original games were developed way before 2012, wtf. If you take "Planescape Torment EE" from this list for example, you mostly appreciate all of its features that are already included in the original game.. While the "EE" thing doesn´t add much of any value compared to the original, especially in the case of said P:T. It´s bullshit, as in, most of the game wasn´t developed by glorious Beamdog anyway.

Also the fact that no Spiderweb game is included in this list makes this list even more obsolete. Any real CRPG gamers cherish the efforts of the one indie dev who more or less invented indie game development and singlehandedly crushed the so called AAAs into the ground.

Really, we need more love for Spiderweb Games. They are top notch.

Last edited:

Humbaba

Arcane
Kingmaker is the only modern cRPG that has managed to capture the simulationist feel of the infinity engine games. In quality it is closest to BG1 and I hope Wrath will be akin to BG2.

Grimrock 2 had absolutely no business being as good as it was and proved that genres thought dead could be revived for a modern market. Shame the devs aren't doing shit these days.

Dragonfall has the best plot and companions out of all of them, though the way the companion quests work feels a bit inorganic and gamey. Still, on their own, they are very good.

Belboz

Literate
What can I say? When I roleplay I'm a “bastard”, so I'm partial to Tyranny.

Personally, one of best Obsidian's work, in my book. Great characters, like Sirin, a solid plot, and a fantastic setting. Contrary to many critics, I think that the game is concluded as it is, having closed all the confrontations with the principal NPCs.

Alas, it is a shame that this game will never get a sequel, but I'm really impressed by the many choices (taken by my avatar) that the game factors.
I was a Fatebinder named Tacitus, and I often chosed to stay silent during my interrogations. So, it was a welcome surprise when Tunon criticized my behaviour, asking if I'm a dimwit. My answer was a resonant one, one that drived Tunon by my side.

Plus, as I've said, I'm a “bastard” and Tyranny offers many opportunities to be truly evil. See, for example, the possibility to convince Matthias, leader of the Unbroken, to submit to the Scarlet Chorus... And then he becomes Matthias Brown Bottom! All in all, a great and fun roleplay experience.

Last edited:

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
I prefer Lilura's definition of the RPG Renaissance spanning the mid-90s through the 2000s. "Revival" era RPGs ain't part of any Renaissance.

There, I arbitrarily added a bunch more games that I think count as CRPGs and I left a few of y'alls dumber suggestions off because I am drunk with power.
Starcrawlers: Not a RPG either, it's mission based and those missions are randomly generated.

Uh, what? It's a blobber with experience, systems progression, and loot. Just because it's mission based doesn't mean it's not an RPG (although it isn't very good). Also not all of the missions are randomly generated.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
The EEs shouldn't be on there. It's like asking whether the greatest CRPG of the era is Pool of Radiance using the Gold Box Companion (GBC) mod: the core experience is unchanged, it just has some features added on that make it arguably more user friendly and approachable for the modern era.

And if that is an option, the answer is clearly "yes".

The EEs shouldn't be on there. It's like asking whether the greatest CRPG of the era is Pool of Radiance using the Gold Box Companion (GBC) mod: the core experience is unchanged, it just has some features added on that make it arguably more user friendly and approachable for the modern era.

They add new content. If they were purely UI upgrades, resolution changes, and improved compatibility with modern OSes I wouldn't have included them, but there is original content present in them that is not present in the original releases.

That said, anyone who votes for them is clearly a moron.

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
MMX:L
SR:DF
WL3
WL2
DOS2

Haven’t really had too much time to play games in a few years so stuff like Grimoire and Underrail are still on my to-do list, but I backed those I chose (iirc MMX was early access game, though) and while not really spectacular they were good for what they were and I didn’t come out with a taste of shit in my mouth afterwards.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
I prefer Lilura's definition of the RPG Renaissance spanning the mid-90s through the 2000s. "Revival" era RPGs ain't part of any Renaissance.
What should post-Legend of Grimrock-era be called then?
RPG Romanticism with authentic horn helmet Vikings?

Poseidon00

Arcane
What can I say? When I roleplay I'm a “bastard”, so I'm partial to Tyranny.

Personally, one of best Obsidian's work, in my book. Great characters, like Sirin, a solid plot, and a fantastic setting. Contrary to many critics, I think that the game is concluded as it is, having closed all the confrontations with the principal NPCs.

Alas, it is a shame that this game will never get a sequel, but I'm really impressed by the many choices (taken by my avatar) that the game factors.
I was a Fatebinder named Tacitus, and I often chosed to stay silent during my interrogations. So, it was a welcome surprise when Tunon criticized my behaviour, asking if I'm a dimwit. My answer was a resonant one, one that drived Tunon by my side.

Plus, as I've said, I'm a “bastard” and Tyranny offers many opportunities to be truly evil. See, for example, the possibility to convince Matthias, leader of the Unbroken, to submit to the Scarlet Chorus... And then he becomes Matthias Brown Bottom! All in all, a great and fun roleplay experience.

Big agree here. I'm one of the few die hard Tyranny fan boys despite its flaws.

An IP that could have and should be the start of something great.

Adenocaulon

Educated
GD doesn't belong here for the same reason Diablo doesn't, ARPGs are not RPGs, just like JRPGs.

I understand if the purpose is to compare classic style crpg either in the tradition of Wizardry or Ultima.

But there are also some purely tactic/strategy rpgs (not just rpg with tactic combat) that also comprise a separate group.

Joggerino

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
I picked Disco Elysium, Kenshi and Kingdom Come. These three really gave me a strong impression while something like shadowrun I only remember it being turn based, and pathfinder I only remember it had a million builds and was really tedious. POE is also forgettable, ELEX is shit, etc. And the enhanced edition games shouldn't be on the list.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
I would vote EverQuest, regardless of but it's an mmo! arguments. (It's certainly a hell of lot more an RPG than Disco Elysium). If not that I would probably go with Jagged Alliance 2, or TOEE, or System Shock. I can't see any of those on the list so I was tempted to vote for something crappy to make this place look bad.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom