Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Decline What killed off oldschool RPGs?

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by Master Planetar, Feb 10, 2018.

1. Roguey Codex Staff Sawyerite

Roguey
    https://www.reddit.com/r/baldursgate/comments/3fy8uo/soooo_what_next/cttrjyi/
    And a post last year from another Beamdog employee
    https://forums.somethingawful.com/s...86742&pagenumber=358&perpage=40#post470794986

• Informative Informative x 5
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. FeelTheRads Arcane Patron

FeelTheRads
    OK, I guess I remembered it wrong. That sounds like indeed he knows something.

I don't know about that second quote though. Are you sure that's a Beamdog employee?

"looking forward to enhancing" :lol:

These people and their rabid enhancing.

^ Top  
  3. Roguey Codex Staff Sawyerite

Roguey
    He gave out a ton of keys and acts like a dev. It might actually be Daigle, I don't remember. Here's his one interaction with Sawyer https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3586742&userid=42391#post470808183

• Funny Funny x 2
    ^ Top  
  4. Sigourn Arcane

Sigourn
    There's a multitude of reasons why cRPGs aren't anywhere near as popular as they used to be. I can think of some:

- cRPGs are competing with triple-A RPGs made in 3D, very high production values, very high return. Games like Skyrim, Fallout 4, The Witcher 3, whatever shit BioWare decides to make, and so on. I only play RPGs, so I wouldn't know if there are other genres where there is such a massive difference between production values. A shooter is a shooter, sports game is a sports game, a racing game is a racing game, etc etc. But cRPGs and triple-A RPGs, though they belong to the same genre, are vastly different from each other. Not just in production values, but in size, scope, gameplay and interest.
    - cRPGs have been around for many decades, with the best games the genre has to offer dating all the way to the early 80s. A kid that was 10 when playing these cRPGs is around 50 nowadays. FIFTY.
    - cRPGs haven't really evolved in all these decades. Pillars of Eternity, from what I've heard, is pretty much Baldur's Gate. Just so I'm clear: a Codexer is more likely to willingly spend money on a good cRPG than on a mediocre cRPG. Evolution doesn't mean "sacrifice everything that made it good" (i.e. "dumbing down", which is what people really mean when they say "Fallout evolved under Bethesda!!!11!"). But you can most definitely evolve a genre by focusing on its strengths and trying to get of its weaknesses. cRPGs haven't really changed in that regard: all the same flaws are still there, the strengths haven't really been capitalized on.
    - People aged 15-30 are more likely to have grown up playing console games than PC games. Console games are JRPG territory.
    - Triple-A RPGs are easily accessible to children ages 6 and above. Moreover, the entire videogame spectrum is tailored for children ages 6 and above, with the exception of the more complex genres like strategy games (which I sincerely doubt could be "dumbed down": strategy games by definition are games that rely on complexity, whereas RPGs do not: complexity in RPGs is completely optional). The world has changed, and videogames with it. For there to be a boom in cRPGs again, the entire videogame spectrum would have to change.
    - Moreover, these most popular RPGs tend to be multi-platform. Bethesda, CD Projekt RED and BioWare make the most popular RPGs by far, and they cater to the console market in addition to the PC market (or should I say: in addition to the console market, they cater to the PC market).
    Games nowadays tend to go for spectacle. cRPGs are anything but spectacle.
    - The ever-increasing need to make simpler games to sell more.

I guarantee you the day cRPGs truly go back to being the dominant form of RPGs we will also see a massive change in the videogame industry as a whole.

I saw a post on Facebook yesterday, and may as well adapt it to cRPGs:

• hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 2
    • STOP! posting STOP! posting x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Telengard Arcane

Telengard
    Then you don't want an IE game, because that's what they were. And the very nature of what they were is why nobody wants to make them on a budget, and the only ones who try are super crazy, dumb people who don't know what they're doing. And whenever someone tries a smaller IE game, with - say - even 1/10 the amount of stuff (and it really should be even less), the pissing and moaning about the "betrayal" on here is a real sight to see.

^ Top  
  6. Egosphere Magister

Egosphere
    That is a little contradictory. The world changed, but strategy games survived, whilst crpgs did not. Even if RPG's complexity is optional does not necessitate the genre becoming dumbed down to what passes for RPG today

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Theldaran Liturgist

Theldaran
    Let's wait until Age of Empires HD releases, shall we. Spellforce 3 didn't sell well and Dawn of War 3 was abhorrent.

Ultimately, you never know when a genre can make a comeback. Just look at damn Crash Bandicoot.

^ Top  
  8. Kyl Von Kull The Night Tripper Patron

Kyl Von Kull
    Pillars and DOS2 have both sold more than a million copies, right? That’s better than any IE title in its first decade of existence, except BG2. It’s just that when Baldur’s Gate sold half a million copies, that made it a AAA smash hit. Whereas these days over a million copies is only great for a AA studio.

Like it or not, this IS the comeback.

• Agree Agree x 3
    ^ Top  
  9. Tarantulos-Eduardo-Sanchez Captain Planetar Patron

Tarantulos-Eduardo-Sanchez
    Grab the Codex by the pussy
    Platformers neer went anywhere.

^ Top  
  10. imweasel Guest

imweasel
    TBH I do see old-school style CRPGs making a slow comeback. We just haven't had a huge multi-million smash hit yet... except for Undertale :lol:

Anyway, it is extremely difficult to make oldschool CRPGs that are engaging, immersive and don't overwhelm the average player with systems that he has just been introduced to. That would be the main problem IMO. You need a talented team of experienced and passionate designers with a deep understanding of RPG systems to pull it off, something that hasn't really existed since the demise of Black Isle, SSI, Troika and maybe early Bioware.

FTFY

• Cheers!! Cheers!! x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Theldaran Liturgist

Theldaran
    It's just an example of dead games under a pile of dust making a comeback and selling like crazy.

Of course, CRPG are a different genre with its own problems. Why are the IE games so memorable? Because they poured everything they got into them. Nobody is willing to make the same kind of effort again, not Bioware itself, not Obsidian, not Beamdog, obviously. Bioware and Black Isle worked their asses off, and it shows. Nowadays it's all about the highest income with the lowest effort, the only thing that reminds of IE games in terms of scope are Twitcher games.

^ Top  
  12. Sigourn Arcane

Sigourn
    Strategy games survived because their sole purpose is to be complex. But RPGs don't need to be complex, and because of that most people jump ship on the simple RPG bandwagon.

• hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. YES! Hi, I'm Roqua Dumbfuck

YES!
    In another thread I have come up with the one true and definitive answer. Crpgs are for playing. Most people, being very retarded, want easy games they can watch. Crpg fans want games, retards want art that is fun to look at and watch. That is why they have such a high tolerance for really awful, hands-off, no imput needed, click and watch RTwP combat. And why the rest of their games are so fucking retardly easy.

Real game players try and make good decisions and moves, the fucking retards want to make decisions and moves that look good.

This explains everything, especially the popularity of people watching other people play games over the internet (outside of competitive gaming since the retards will never be able to compete in shit).

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Makes you think... Makes you think... x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Davaris Australian Game Developers Developer

Davaris
    Correct. I don't want an IE game. I want a small game that blows my mind like Fallout 1 did. Baldur's Gate looked great, but for me it felt flat after playing Fallout. There were some fun encounters in it, but mostly exploring the areas felt like consuming content.

Correct. Big bitmap engines are not suited to Indies or small production houses, because they can't iterate the maps as easily as tile based engines. If you don't have tons and tons of money to spend on production values, that engine is not going to work out.

Big bitmap is the graphics whore engine of 2D. If a small dev uses it, its because they don't have the experience to know better, or they haven't had enough pain and suffering in their life. lol

^ Top  
  15. Ovplain Arcane Patron

Ovplain
    Consoles happened, no big mystery here.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. YES! Hi, I'm Roqua Dumbfuck

YES!
    Well, I guess that must be the reason why because clearly consoles were not nearly in as many houses as decent game playing pcs in the 80s and 90s. Consoles were a new invention of this century. Anyone who says different is a big liar.

^ Top  
  17. octavius Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

octavius
    There were two different markets back then. Consoles were for kids, computers for adults and mature kids.
    With PS2 and X-Box it was all consolidated into one market.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Cheers!! Cheers!! x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. YES! Hi, I'm Roqua Dumbfuck

YES!
    Then why are the all the kids games so popular on this site? See my answer above.

^ Top  
  19. Morkar Left Guest

Morkar Left
    I disagree. You just need some designers who really want to make an oldschool rpg and actually know oldschool rpgs (and pnp rpgs), no matter what the market wants. It's not a sure way to make a good rpg but it's the premise for it. The cost for making actually one isn't that high compared to other genres (e.g. 3d action games, mmos etc).

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  20. Bohrain Savant Patron

Bohrain
    Several reasons:
    a) Popularity of tabletop RPG's declined, meaning there's less of a reason to cater to the taste of the demographic that developed a taste for simulating their mechanics. Also new people in the industry are less likely to be familiar with them.
    b) Console players becoming more important demographic in relation to PC players.
    c) 90's tech bubble made it possible for money to flow to uncanny projects such as Fallout.
    d) Game development becoming less of a scene and more of a business. And in business environment the money tends to go projects that imitate something that made money a short while ago, which is everything but CRPG's.

^ Top  
  21. YES! Hi, I'm Roqua Dumbfuck

YES!
    I love how all these children who dislike and do not support or buy crpgs when they come out, or like them when they do buy one, have all the answers as to why they are so unpopular. Just look in the fucking mirror you fucking retards.

• butthurt butthurt x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Mastermind Arcane Patron Bethestard

Mastermind
    xbox came well before oblivion. and in fact morrowind was on xbox where it was very much beloved by console gamers, so they can hardly be blamed for the subsequent dumbing down (not that that stopped Toddler from trying)

Let's face it, there are no devs left who can make a high quality RPG anymore, especially in real time. Sawyer is about the best we're gonna get.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Despair Despair x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Kutulu Arcane Patron

Kutulu
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
    >#1
    (You)

^ Top  
  24. rusty_shackleford Arcane

rusty_shackleford
    tabletop RPGs are for fucking nerds

• Edgy x 4
    • Agree x 3
    • Funny x 2
    • decline x 1
    • retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. madrigal Scholar

madrigal
    Complexity. Limitations in freedom and gameplay were accepted as the games were pushing the boundaries of the technology available, as computing power increased exponentially so did the possibilities. The level of complexity available made the required man power and budgets blow out putting it out of the reach of most creative people. Artificial limits of the technological complexity by creating consoles allowed them to thrive and out compete because they were less complex and had more users.

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.