Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What old-old RPG would benefit greatly from a remake?

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Dark Sun.

laclongquan

Arcane
Some really old fags crawl out for this thread.

EDIT: also Final Fantasy 7. FF8 is perfect the way it is but 7 could use a face lift, boob/ass jobs.

EDITITTIES: Pre90s is it? then none. They can all rest peacefully in their eternal sleeps.

Kaanyrvhok

Arbiter
PoR: As an action RPG sort of like the UFC games mixed with Full Spectrum Warrior.

PST: With the new updated version of the IE that I'm working on. Darksun Shattered lands with that engine as well.

Shenmue 1&2 with 3 giving Ryu a bike

Now if we aint just talking CRPGs

MV1_TSR9104_Midnight_on_Dagger_Alley.jpg

250px-X9_TSR9129_The_Savage_Coast.jpg

Charles-cgr

OlderBytes
Developer
Project: Eternity
Perhaps my memory is flawed but isn't the Wasteland combat system = Bard's Tale, or very close?

And wouldn't a Wasteland remake with the JA2 combat system actually be... A JA2 remake in a post nuclear setting?

PorkaMorka

Arcane
ever said:
SCO said:
Darklands - turn based edition. 1991 though.
:x

The combat was one of the best things about the game. It would have just been *yet another* goldbox / final fantasy tactics clone if turn based. Haven't you people had enough of the same thing over and over and over and over and over again so much that you want to ruin the ONE and I really mean it the ONE computer role playing game that had a genuine attempt at tactical real time combat.

Fuck you man.

Darklands combat is a clusterfuck.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1p5ODJotT0#t=3m47s
(you can stop after the combat)

Click it, it's short and has a bunch of pixels wiggling at each other

ever

Scholar
That looks perfectly agreeable for melee only combat to me.

Gord

Arcane
Shannow said:
I don't believe in remakes. I believe in sequels that keep the basic charm of their predecessors and only improve features instead of turning everything to shit (looking at you, FO3 and DS3).

Dungeon Siege series has always been shit. Second one was slightly better, if only for the fact that it wasn't as utterly boring like the first one. Only boring.

Third one I haven't played so I can't comment.

ever

Scholar
I really like the Dungeon Siege engine. No loading, one big seamless world. Very well done.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
MicoSelva said:
I would totally play the goldbox games remade in ToEE engine. :bounce:
ToEE was the closest to PnP RPG I ever played, so remaking those AD&D games on it makes A LOT of sense.

Also, 3D graphics gets old after some years, but Isometric games like Fallout, IWD and even JA2 will stay beatifull FOREVER!

Eyeball

Arcane
Another vote for Shadowrun for SNES AND Genesis. Both are highly atmospheric and original games that could be released as true RPGs again and not just as a watered down multiplayer shooter.

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
Charles-cgr said:
Perhaps my memory is flawed but isn't the Wasteland combat system = Bard's Tale, or very close?
You are not mistaken, the combat systems are very similar in that you give each team member orders, then a scrolling window shows the round results. The animated images with a descriptive text of the enemies you face is given as well. If anything, combat is similar to BT3 combat, in that distances are given for multiple groups of enemies.

The systems depart in that Wasteland allowed parties to split up, so some could fight melee while others used ranged combat. There were other differences as well. Also, you could recruit enemies to your party in Wasteland, unlike BT.

Both are similar to Dragon Wars, which is more BT4 than anything else.

Wolfus

Arcane
Most of games that came into my mind are from 1990 :)
But:
Personal Nightmare (not an RPG, but a good game)
Iron Lord
Spirit of Adventure
Dragon Wars
Wizardry I-V
Ultima I-V
and many more...

Luzur

Good Sir
Kaanyrvhok said:
PoR: As an action RPG sort of like the UFC games mixed with Full Spectrum Warrior.

PST: With the new updated version of the IE that I'm working on. Darksun Shattered lands with that engine as well.

Shenmue 1&2 with 3 giving Ryu a bike

Now if we aint just talking CRPGs

MV1_TSR9104_Midnight_on_Dagger_Alley.jpg

250px-X9_TSR9129_The_Savage_Coast.jpg

i would play those games remade in BG engine.

MisterStone

Arcane
Sorry bros, I didn't realize you guys were thinking of so many cool 1990s games to mention here. Let's up the date to 1993 or before since that is when the last Gold Box game was released. I only mentioned pre-1990 because it seems kind of pointless to remake something like, say, the Dark Sun series when it seems to still be quite playable without being remade, whereas some really old titles are not quite so accessible anymore.

Hell, just throw any old game out there, who gives a fuck when it was published.

Johannes

Arcane
Daemongar said:
The systems depart in that Wasteland allowed parties to split up, so some could fight melee while others used ranged combat. There were other differences as well. Also, you could recruit enemies to your party in Wasteland, unlike BT.
You can't recruit enemies, even if the button shows up. Better way to put it would be that you can attack recruitable characters.

Mortmal

Arcane
No remakes, its for the lazy , i want new ideas and improved gampelay in new alien settings , I dont want to see anyone butchering the classics with bloom and next gen stuff.

Elzair

Cipher
I think you should only try to remake ambitious or innovative games that for some reason just don't come together right. This is why I nominate Ultima II for a remake. There is so much potential in this game, but it is largely squandered on a tedious grindfest in a nonsensical world full of 1980s developer in-jokes.

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
Johannes said:
Daemongar said:
You can't recruit enemies, even if the button shows up. Better way to put it would be that you can attack recruitable characters.
Sorry, I phrased that wrong. You could recruit some NPC's that were embattled with you. There is a girl in an alley in Needles who springs to mind who will join your party, even if you are in a fight with "Leather Thugs" or whatever they were. Maybe this just means I need to run through this again.

MMXI

Arcane
There were random monsters that could join your party from time to time in The Bard's Tale. Just thought I'd mention it.

DaveO

Erudite
Phantasie 1-3 come to mind. I saw the mentions of Wizard's Crown, but in that game you really had to grind for experience using night time combat before you were ready for the final dungeon. It might be possible to make a 2D/3D game of Wizard's Crown and Eternal Dagger, but you'd have to make changes to enemy encounters, experience, and the scale of the map would have to be massive to convey the same feel of both games.

The developers stated at the end of Eternal Dagger that there might be another game, but it was never made.

Captain Shrek

ohmanohmanohmanohman

My weak point!

I want the following remade asap:

1) Fallout
2) Betrayal at Krondor/Antara
3) BG 1 (ONLY NOT 2)
4) System Shock
5) Arx Fatalis

And possibly (but not very much so):

1) TOEE
2) Thief 1,2,3 (Because its still as good as ever)

Yes yes, I am a hipster.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
Captain Shrek said:
ohmanohmanohmanohman

My weak point!

I want the following remade asap:

1) Fallout
2) Betrayal at Krondor/Antara
3) BG 1 (ONLY NOT 2)
4) System Shock
5) Arx Fatalis

And possibly (but not very much so):

1) TOEE
2) Thief 1,2,3 (Because its still as good as ever)

Yes yes, I am a hipster.

Why?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom