Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline What RPGs are non-linear without level scaling?

Codex Year of the Donut
To be more specific: What RPGs are non-linear without level scaling and content is still challenging?

Not to be confused with "open world but if you don't go in the exact path the developers wanted you'll get stomped on because you're underleveled"

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
Star Trail because of the slow number progression of the system, same with Voidspire Tactics.

Don't Fallout 1 & 2 kind of fit to a lesser extent? There's a big part of the games after the very beginning and before you get a power armor where you will face rightful challenge wherever you decide to go.

Daggerfall & Morrowind, for sure. After that, it's the non-linear part that gets a bit tricky. I can't honestly say that I play many open world RPGs. I would cautiously say Baldur's Gate 1 & 2, but after a certain point the directions a player can go get really limited. They also do have a teeny tiny bit of level scaling. Nothing compared to the present day notion of level scaling. NWN 2: Storm of Zehir doesn't level scale, even if some zones are plot restricted. You can definitely get your ass handed to you any time you want in that game by going far off the beaten path.

Codex Year of the Donut
Daggerfall & Morrowind, for sure. After that, it's the non-linear part that gets a bit tricky. I can't honestly say that I play many open world RPGs. I would cautiously say Baldur's Gate 1 & 2, but after a certain point the directions a player can go get really limited. They also do have a teeny tiny bit of level scaling. Nothing compared to the present day notion of level scaling. NWN 2: Storm of Zehir doesn't level scale, even if some zones are plot restricted. You can definitely get your ass handed to you any time you want in that game by going far off the beaten path.
Daggerfall is level-scaled.
Why doesn't it ever get hate for it? Dunno.

Morrowind is too, but to a much smaller extent than Daggerfall/Oblivion.

V_K

Arcane
Dragon Wars, due to very slow character growth, but also because of a ton of alternative paths and solutions.
Amberstar has some dependencies in its quest chains but otherwise is very free-form.
Wizardry 7 after first few levels.

mondblut

Arcane
What RPGs are non-linear without level scaling and content is still challenging?

Not to be confused with "open world but if you don't go in the exact path the developers wanted you'll get stomped on because you're underleveled"

You can't have both, duh. The level of opposition either scales with you, or with geography, or it stops being challenging after you gain a couple of levels. How else are you going to scale it, huh? With time? With passing plot points?

Tigranes

Arcane
I mean, we could just start with "What RPGs are challenging?" and we'd end up with a pretty small list to begin with.

RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
What RPGs are non-linear without level scaling and content is still challenging?

You can't have both, duh. The level of opposition either scales with you, or with geography, or it stops being challenging after you gain a couple of levels. How else are you going to scale it, huh? With time? With passing plot points?

You can just throw all RPG elements out of the window, and just have players unlocking new abilities without necessarily increasing his power exponentially. Sure it's decline, but some already declined games would actually benefit from it. I don't think that ME would be especially worse if it was just a non-lineal shooter without having to collect thousands of trash weapons to find one that's slightly better than what you're already using.

purupuru

Learned
BG1 by virtue of having a low exp cap, though I guess you can say it's not a particularly challenging game without mods.
If we count JRPGs then Dark Souls would qualify.

AdolfSatan

Arcane
Dark Sun Shattered Lands should fit this criteria if you don't cheese with triclassing and stat edit.

DraQ

Arcane
Daggerfall is level-scaled.
Why doesn't it ever get hate for it? Dunno.

Morrowind is too, but to a much smaller extent than Daggerfall/Oblivion.
Morrowind is a patchwork of scaled and not scaled content.
NPCs are not scaled, some generic monsters are to varying degree so is generic (but not specific) loot.
So if you find Ibar-Dad at lvl1 it will still be a treasure trove of daedric gear with golden saint ready to buttfuck you.

If mods count, Skyrim with Requiem is unleveled and reasonably challenging because mistakes can easily end you even when facing low level threats.

This - is why we can't have the nice things. Because brainlets can't comprehend the notion of advancement that doesn't invalidate all but most trivial challenges while unlocking (by making them not strictly suicidal) more advanced ones.

Grind moar to overcum, hurr my carebearl RPG genre!

Gothic does a good job at this, IMO. Basically, games that are successful at this make a meta game out of finding the right encounters for your progression and trying to create your own order. Also pairs well with Starving for XP/Loot. Dark Souls/Bloodborne aren’t CRPGs but they have similar meta games.

Some games do an OK job with creating “biomes” where you can do things at your own pace but only within a 20% or so portion of the progression ladder. As an example, in Kingmaker, you’re mostly free to explore a region, walk away from some shit for later, and choose to do the story missions before or after your side quest stuff and artisan shit. But you can only do it a chunk at a time, so the range of content vs progression is narrower and the probability/severity of encountering things way out of your league is lessened. That said, you still have shit like random encounters in your first region that are total faceroll but you can evade them.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
You can just throw all RPG elements out of the window, and just have players unlocking new abilities without necessarily increasing his power exponentially. Sure it's decline
You don't need to throw RPG elements out of the window and you have misspelled "incline".

Yep. The flatter the power curve, the better. Of course that doesn't mean the player shouldn't be noticeably more powerful towards the end than at the beginning, but horizontal growth > vertical growth.

Lurker47

Savant
RPG where you go from level 1 to level 5 to level 10 to level 2 to level 4 to level 30 to level 3. Make it happen, people.

RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
You can just throw all RPG elements out of the window, and just have players unlocking new abilities without necessarily increasing his power exponentially. Sure it's decline
You don't need to throw RPG elements out of the window and you have misspelled "incline".

Yep. The flatter the power curve, the better. Of course that doesn't mean the player shouldn't be noticeably more powerful towards the end than at the beginning, but horizontal growth > vertical growth.
If you completely flatten the curve, you'll be left with a slightly less lineal Zelda game in the end.

purupuru

Learned
I think the key is making sure there is no HP bloat on either side. Say at lv1 you get killed in 1 hit and kill the skeleton in 3 hits, while by end game you kill the skeleton in 1 hit and get killed in 3 hits, you are arguably 9 times stronger but can still get fucked up if you are not careful.
Of course the player would most likely get some CC abilities as he level up and those would trivialize some low level encounters should he learn to use them, and I think that's fine. If the player is willing to learn then he deserves to get something good, not some sawyerish "-10 deflection for 2.8 seconds" disappointment.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom