Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What's an old game to you?

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
acknowledging games before 2010 are old means i am acknowledging i am old, therefore i only consider games before 2000 old.

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Simon the Sorcerer 3D with its prosperous 3D:

FWIW i visually like those brightly lit cartoonish boxy 3D graphics you'd find in a lot of late 90s / early 2000s games (as well as Nintendo 64 games but i only came to appreciate the graphics on those much later since i never had a N64). I do not think they add anything in gameplay though for a P&C adventure game (aside perhaps making it possible to play the game in a variety of resolutions).

What benefit does a [...] isometric CRPG gain from going 3D?

For me it is being able to rotate and zoom the camera, even if there isn't any other gameplay reason (e.g. everything is placed so that you can find it even if you never zoom/rotate) this helps me "read" the environment much much easier than a static image ala Baldur's Gate.

Also in theory being able to stack things on top of each other, but in the case of NWN -and basically all Aurora games, including even Dragon's Age 2- everything is treated as a heightfield and things cannot overlap anyway.

They have always done that. Did you ever see Mario or Contra clones? Did you guys ever notice how all those blobbers you like are the same? FPS games in the 90's were all the same in a different way than they are now.

The only new thing is microtransactions and that is now in everything.

When making such statements, many gamers tend to focus only on the few widely popular/advertised stuff and ignore the many more games made by lesser known/smaller developers. I do not think there was ever a time where you'd be in a position to say "there are no X games made anymore" and that actually be true outside the highest end AAA space.

So when someone says that games suck nowadays or that there are microtransactions in everything they really mean that the AAA games they notice nowadays suck and there are a lot of microtransactions in AAA games.

But honestly if you want to find some game for your preferences, nowadays you're in a better position you ever were at the past. Of course after you finish it, you may want more but that is another issue :-P

madhouse

I have two tiers. Really old stuff that is anything prior to when Win95 was released. So c. 1995, i.e. after DOS peak, etc. Not that it's a clean cut-off, but, to put it in different words, anything before 5th gen. To add, I consider this tier properly retro. So Fallout isn't retro in my eyes; Might and Magic is retro on the other hand.
Second tier is oldish stuff. Anything before Windows Vista/7 and 6th gen. Anything after to me is more or less the same in terms of modernity. I'm not going to pretend my view is perfect, but that's just my intuitive understanding of what I think is old, or really old, put in rough terms and a timeline.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom