Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

What's an old game to you?

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by Sigourn, Apr 21, 2020.

1. Bigg Boss Arcane

Bigg Boss
    Nobody said ancient they said old. This is that pedantry shit I was talking about.

This is the new "What is a RPG?" thread.

• No No x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. KK1001 Arbiter

KK1001
    Anything prior to the release of the original Doom is "old" to me.

^ Top  
  3. Bigg Boss Arcane

Bigg Boss
    Right there. 1994. If that does not seem old to you then you are in denial or some shit. If you break out your SNES and think "This crumbling yellow piece of plastic is not old" then you are weird.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. DemonKing Arcane

DemonKing
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Norfleet Moderator

Norfleet
    An old game is one where I have to torture it to make it run on my computer. If I have to fiddle with emulators, virtual machines, compatibility patches and settings, or whatnot, it's old.

^ Top  
  6. Bigg Boss Arcane

Bigg Boss
    That reminds me of having to run Nocturne on Windows XP. MUST BE SOME KIND OF OLD GAME.

• decline decline x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Lemming42 Arcane

Lemming42
    Anything older than 10 years is old, but obviously there are degrees of oldness. Anything before 1995 is "ancient", I guess. Chose 1995 because it marks the start of the Playstation/Windows era, which I just can't conceptualise as "ancient" even though it was 26 years ago.

It's tricky to do, but you've got to constantly update your mind to get some perspective on how long has actually passed. I remember the release of Half-Life 2 like it was yesterday, but no, it's almost 17 years ago now and it'd be ridiculous to claim that wasn't a long time ago. There are babies born after Half-Life 2 came out who can now legally fuck, in the UK at least. That's an old game.

The one that really messes me up is to realise that New Vegas is now over a decade old. That's bullshit, it came out like, 5 years ago max. But no, it's going to be 11 years old this year. Have to move with the times.

• Agree Agree x 4
    ^ Top  
  8. Corvinus Arcane

Corvinus
    If you never stopped playing these games, and if those that came after really couldn't beat them, it is difficult to find them old and obsolete. Some years ago I put together a top-of-the-line computer, just because I could, but looking at what I have installed it's almost exlusively games from the 90s, some of which would run smoothly on a 386...

If you weren't born when these games first came out, I can understand though. And pity you!

• Agree Agree x 3
    ^ Top  
  9. Bigg Boss Arcane

Bigg Boss
    See this is the problem with you fucks. I am 35. I never stopped playing these games. I just don't have the cognitive dissonance to think just because I still play them they suddenly stop being old. Really you guys are getting old and need to get the fuck over it.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Corvinus Arcane

Corvinus
    Maybe you just like shit, then. No offense intended, just an observation (It's the Codex after all).

^ Top  
  11. Bigg Boss Arcane

Bigg Boss
    I think you guys are using the word old in a different way. Do you mean dated? Either way your implication that I like shit games is gay and has nothing to do with the AGE OF THE FUCKING GAMES YOU FUCKING MORONS I HATE YOU ALL I HOPE YOU FUCKING DIE.....goodnight folks.

• Friendly x 2
    • Brofist x 1
    • Salute x 1
    • Peaceful protest x 1
    • Equip the Ring x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Corvinus Arcane

Corvinus
    To be fair that is usually how the word old is used when it comes to games. Old as in obsolete. If you meant old as in number of years then yes of course I'd agree with you - who wouldn't - 80s/90s games aren't new.

^ Top  
  13. Bigg Boss Arcane

Bigg Boss
    OH SO I'M THE FUCKING PEDANT!? I'M REALLY GOING TO BED NOW.

:shitposting:

• Peaceful protest Peaceful protest x 1
    • Shit Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. JarlFrank I like Thief THIS much Patron

JarlFrank
    Yes, that's why I love early 3D nowadays and really appreciate the genres that make full use of all three dimensions. As I said in my post, it took Morrowind and the FPS genre to make me appreciate 3D. Other games like Tomb Raider were fun back in the day too, and that one is pretty much a 3D puzzle-platformer where 90% of the gameplay is focused around navigating a 3D space. Not to mention I FUCKING LOVE THIEF for its level design.

But back when most of the genres I played had 2D gameplay, the shift to 3D was completely jarring. What benefit does a point and click adventure or an isometric CRPG gain from going 3D? Usually they just looked much worse than their 2D predecessors without gaining any advantages of the third dimension gameplay-wise.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Vapid Learned

Vapid
    The whole discussion reminds me of this:

Show Spoiler
    [​IMG]

Come to think of it, 80% of discussions on Codex boil down to this shit right there.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • FAKE NEWS FAKE NEWS x 1
    • Doggy Doggy x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Thac0 Hopeless Optimist Patron

Thac0
    80s - ancient
    90s - old
    00 - dated
    10 - recent
    20 - new

Show Spoiler
    Is dated more or less than old in English? If so swap 90s and 00s

^ Top  
  17. Hóngwèibīng Arcane Vatnik

Hóngwèibīng
    Calling a game dated is a qualitative statement while calling it old is a (chronologically) quantitative one. Even a contemporary game can be considered dated (e.g. complaints about games that have been long in production and end up being dated compared to other contemporary releases).

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    • :M :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. DeepOcean Arcane

DeepOcean
    Nah, in the 90's and 2000's, the likes of Activision and EA were publishing games like Blood Omen, Bloodlines and alot of innovative games and etc. Nowdays, pretty much all publishers are just releasing the same game every year that is just a disguised online cassino to exploit children and people with poor impulse control. The indies, most of them are just trying to ressurect shit that was common on the 90's at great effort.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • No No x 1
    • :M :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Bigg Boss Arcane

Bigg Boss
    They have always done that. Did you ever see Mario or Contra clones? Did you guys ever notice how all those blobbers you like are the same? FPS games in the 90's were all the same in a different way than they are now.

The only new thing is microtransactions and that is now in everything.

• No No x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Zed Duke of Banville Zo Kath Ra Patron

Zed Duke of Banville
    [​IMG]
    Show Spoiler

[​IMG]
    Show Spoiler

The 1980s were superior to the 1990s, though. :positive:

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Whatever shit you posted didn't load Whatever shit you posted didn't load x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Hóngwèibīng Arcane Vatnik

Hóngwèibīng

• Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Bigg Boss Arcane

Bigg Boss
    Yeah you are probably right NO guy. The gaming industry was just so fucking creative until you stopped being 12.

^ Top  
  23. Vapid Learned

Vapid

It's time for us to pass the torch.

• Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. octavius Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

octavius
    I can't really relate to this.
    Best period for games was around 2000.
    Best period for music was early 1970s.
    For book and movies I don't have a narrow era of preference.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Assisted Living Godzilla Liturgist

Assisted Living Godzilla
    If you happen to be 12 in the '60s, '70s, or '90s pop culture probably was better when you were 12.

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.