Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What's been the most disappointing RPG you can think of?

Aarwolf

Learned
For me it was Might & Magic 9 - I loved the franchise and that game was such a low blow.

In more recent times - Deadfire and NumaNuma, but the latter was mildly disappointing, because there were signs that it would be shit.

Yuber

Educated
Too many to count in recent years.
But I was not really disappointed because I got used to mediocre RPGs over the years, so I guess the one that disappointed me the most was FF13 back then.

9ted6

Educated
NWN and any of the Dragon Age sequels.
KC:D didn't live up to the hype at all.
Once you get past the shiny paint Skyrim's also incredibly disappointing compared to the previous games.

Is Bannerlord really that bad? Warband was already perfect for what it tried to achieve, so I can kinda get it though.

It's not bad per say, it's just so much of unrealized potential that the game feels like a joke + really shitty character progression system balanced by some improvements to battles.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
I've never played DA2, but it must be really shitty if it's left people disappointed compared to the previous game. Outside of the pretty cool Dwarf Noble origin, DA:O was average at best and often very boring. I'd rather replay NWN 1 OC than give it another try.

...Okay, maybe not NWN 1 OC. Let's say NWN 2 OC.
The only good to ever come out of DA2 was a LP by some goon. It really showed how fucked everything in that game was. Sadly it's gone from the Internet forever, the images don't exist anymore: https://gigglesquee.blogspot.com/2012/01/there-is-always-catch-life-is-catch-i.html?m=1

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Pillars of Eternity for me. Those peeps were supposed to make shit right again. Also ELEX 2. What the fuck was that shit?
What was wrong with ELEX 2? I searched and it seems to not even have a Codex thread.

Star Citizen

Learned
Pillars of Eternity for me. Those peeps were supposed to make shit right again. Also ELEX 2. What the fuck was that shit?
What was wrong with ELEX 2? I searched and it seems to not even have a Codex thread.
Just sucked man, lost all the quirkiness from the first. Was some bland ass shadow of it. The writing/dialogue took some weird ass dive from ELEX 1 being silly, VERY German but charming to 2 trying to conform with modern American shit where everyone (companions) is some sarcastic, snarky, spiteful cunt to you despite them being the opposite in the first. Quests sucked bawls, just go there kill that repeat and shit had hardly any - none of the reactivity which the first had, no memorable characters who you legit thought "This dude's cool" or "fuck I hate that cunt", just interactive soapboxes. Whole tone of the game is off. Story wasn't great in the first but damn 2 takes a lunar leap over the boundary of serviceable to complete and utter tripe. Oh and damn the end game is something else. Legit like fight 50 of the most HP bloated repeat x 30. Whole game is off from the first. There is the odd flash of goodness from the first to be seen in it but lol what a fuck up imo.

Last edited:
Pillars of Eternity, for sure. I put a lot of hope in that one. That it looked the part made the mediocre execution all the worse. It's the only game I've ever purchased early access for, because I was that invested. By the time the full release came out, I was totally subdued. Not because I had played it out already, but because the disappointment had already set in. I remember thinking that Act 1 was actually OK, and maybe this game would be great after all. By the time I was wandering to Defiance Bay though, it was clear that it was only an impostor. An unworthy heir.

PapaPetro

Too many to count in recent years.
But I was not really disappointed because I got used to mediocre RPGs over the years, so I guess the one that disappointed me the most was FF13 back then.
8, 9, 10, 13+ for me.
12 was ok since it was a throwback to FFT

PapaPetro

Arcanum.
I didn't like that the designer couldn't find a way to synthesize the Magic vs. Technology meta-problem they posed in their own game.
He should've been smarter than that.

PapaPetro

Arcanum.
I didn't like that the designer couldn't find a way to synthesize the Magic vs. Technology meta-problem they posed in their own game.
He should've been smarter than that.
Serious as cancer.
I didn't like Arcanum.
(I liked it, just a little disappointed)

It posed a great question.
But made a lot of mental work for me.
I thought the game would have a pretty decent answer at the ending, and it didn't.

PS:T's "What can change the Nature of (a) Man" was a far better thesis/challenge.
Sorry Tim.

And like I told you, talk to Chris. He already *knows*.

Side note, I never had an alt here.
I was always honest.

Good guerrilla marketing technique though.
yO5ZHUY.gif

Remember, I'm still open to be convinced otherwise.
Eternity is a long time.

Last edited by a moderator:

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
It posed a great question.
But made a lot of mental work for me.
I don't think Arcanum posed a question in the way that Planescape Torment did. Just presented a slice of history adapted rigorously to a fantasy world.

Radiane

Cipher
I'm more into retro rpg games and have to say that I'm quite a bit disappointed in Dark Queen of Krynn. I really really want(ed) to like that game(still want to, actually), as the first and second games in this trilogy are so superb (the first one especially).
I don't mind the high-level combat, artwork, story, or anything in that game, think it's pretty great but the one thing that ruins that game for me are those weird mazey dungeon designs. On top of the maze like structures, there are a lot of secret walls which you kind of have to find, which just adds to the frustration. Even with the cluebook at hand in order to use the maps for reference it still feels like a hassle. Both previous games didn't have this problem, you could relatively easily find your way through the dungeons in them.
Because of this I still haven't finished a single playthrough, but I intend to finish it at least once or twice none the less, even if it's frustrating. I guess I just hope that the game kind of grows on me eventually

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom