Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What's Obsidian up to now?

Luzur

Good Sir
i thought you where dead or missing.

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
Hwo0L.gif

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Haha "more RPGs," good one.
I look forward to Obsidian continually getting better at action game mechanics and delivering technically polished games though. :thumbsup:

Stinger

Arcane
And now the bad news from Avellone's twitter:

Obsidian doesn't have rights to AP, SEGA does, and a sequel is unlikely with any other publisher. :(

Fuck, I was wrong after all, wonder where I got the idea that Obsidian had the rights to AP. Guess the best we can hope for is a spiritual successor.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Patrick K Mills said they did on the SA forums. Looks like his firing was more deserved than I thought. :M

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Stinger said:
Andyman! DO NOT READ THIS POST! JUST IGNORE THIS AND MOVE ALONG!

And now the bad news from Avellone's twitter:

Obsidian doesn't have rights to AP, SEGA does, and a sequel is unlikely with any other publisher. :(

Fuck, I was wrong after all, wonder where I got the idea that Obsidian had the rights to AP. Guess the best we can hope for is a spiritual successor.

Fixed.

And yeah according to the US Copyright office is it registered to some man in California.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
They don't need a fucking IP from some shit company. They have Chris Avellone for crying out loud. The man has some serious talent and he could easily make his own IP that's actually worth playing. Now all they need are some non-shitty programmers...

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
So what? Just rename it Gamma Protocol. (Beta Protocol is okay too.) edit: Seriously, I just want more conversation simulators with spies and conspiracies and stuff. I'm not really all that.... attached.... to the name or the game world, actually.

Anyway, I can still dream of an Alpha Protocol-type game based on Archer.

Sacculina

Educated
Andyman Messiah said:
Anyway, I can still dream of an Alpha Protocol-type game based on Archer.
I know naught of this Archer you speak of, but since we've taken the plunge into the realm of fantasy in this thread,
Obsidian's future = more RPGs
I would love to see an Alpha Protocol-type game with Cate Archer (and Magnus Armstrong). NOLF had nigh-interminable conversations, and NOLF2 had a character development system, proper stealth and alternative paths.

It couldn't be a worse RPG than Mass Effect, that's for certain.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"They don't need a fucking IP from some shit company. They have Chris Avellone for crying out loud. The man has some serious talent and he could easily make his own IP that's actually worth playing. Now all they need are some non-shitty programmers..."

Yeha, because Avel;lone has a great history in making original IPs that are successful both critically and financially?

LMFAO

Sacculina

Educated
DragoFireheart said:
The man has some serious talent and he could easily make his own IP that's actually worth playing.
MCA is a good writer. That's not the same as saying he's a good designer. Take, for instance, the last three projects on which he had full control: the DLCs. As expected, the writing was quite good, but the soundness of the design was pretty inconsistent, and that's not entirely due to the shift in the kind of gameplay each offers. I doubt F:NV would have been the unqualified success it is if he had been project director.

Edit: By 'unqualified success' I mean $$$.

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
Andyman Messiah said:
I just want more conversation simulators with spies and conspiracies and stuff

horse-kun are there any hentai games like this

did you check

you should check

Shannow

Waster of Time
Lockkaliber said:
Shannow said:
Finally, Obsidian's first game with their own engine! We'll finally see a TB game with awesome gameplay, mechanics, character system, world, story characters and graphics! No bugs and an awesome camera this time around! We all know that the only thing keeping Obsidian back was always having to work with other people's engines!
Suck it haters :M

you're not retarded you are smart why are you acting retarded shannow-san? Publishers don't want to make games that you like that's why you aren't seeing them. Obsidian is a company that pretty much only delivers (sometimes) for the story fags. If you're not one of us I see no reason to even care about a thread like this.
Huh? You guys implied Obsidian was held back by not using their own engines. If the story is all you care about what difference does the engine make?

Dungeon Siege III is using the Onyx engine Shannow.
Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 23:28
It's called the onyx engine and it was first used for the Aliens RPG as far as I know.
Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 22:51
Sarcasm doesn't translate well to the written medium :M
And I'm a little irritated by you, Jaesun. In other threads you're right in there with us bitching about "Action game #265876 with some tacked on RPG elements" and now that's suddenly exactly what you want?

Cynic

Arcane
Onyx engine is good, but they need to fix the camera, definitely. No doubt DSIII feedback has taught them that it has camera issues, but you would have thought they'd learnt their lesson after NWN2 camera, which let's face it, was fairly shit for some people (I found it fine, but I heard it was very shitty on release and was patched later).

I'm dreaming...and I mean DREAMING of a party and turn based IWD III but it will never happen. I would settle for a party based RTwP if the game was done right though. It's been too long since a good quality D&D game, and now that Atari has lost the rights, there is more of a chance that Obsidian, a developer that has worked with the IP to quite good degrees of success previously, might be brought on board to handle it. If I were them, I'd be gunning for it pretty hard, the IWD games are still remembered quite fondly in the mainstream, and the IP definitely has value.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
Huh? You guys implied Obsidian was held back by not using their own engines. If the story is all you care about what difference does the engine make?
Uh, less time coding due to familiarity with engine and dev-specific features, thus letting them spend more time on the story.

Shannow

Waster of Time
Mangoose said:
Uh, less time coding due to familiarity with engine and dev-specific features, thus letting them spend more time on the story.
So DS3 was a trainwreck (seriously, by far the worst game I've ever played) because Obsidian wasn't familiar with their own engine and not because they think the only way to earn money is to churn out as many "action games #58765972373 with roleplaying elements" as possible? Seriously?
I don't understand storyfags. Obsidian is at the moment the best writers of games with roleplaying elements, granted. But "best" here just means about on par with mediocre fantasy books. If all you care about is the story, why not just read a book?

I know, I shouldn't bother you guys. But watching Obsidian fanboys getting excited about stuff that they'd hate if it came from Bio or Beth is like watching a woman being beaten by her husband and telling you it's because he loves her. Disgusting and pathetic and it's hard not to talk about it. I'll try to leave you alone in the future... :mca:

Lockkaliber

Magister
Patron
Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

The story isn't all I care about, but I care about it a lot. I don't think anyone implied anything about the engine (but I am to lazy to check, so you'll have to be fine with that I didn't mean to imply that they would make turn based games now), except some excitement because they are excited because of their exciting new engine. It was basically just some fanboy glee. But you had to be this super badass kind of commander shannperd and come in here and grab our collective collar and yell in our faces.

Getting back to the story thing: to me, what makes Obsidian special, is that they make games that pushes the envelope for stories in video games. Games like KotOR 2 (inb4 mastermind), MotB and Alpha Protocol all did this to some extent. They are not crime and punishment, they might even be bad compared to good fantasy novels, but what matters is that they are slowly introducing standards of writing to the industry that will hopefully make a change in the long run. Besides that I really did like most of their games.

On the subject of DS3, you probably haven't played a lot of video games if DS3 is the worst you've ever played. But there's a reason the game is almost never talked about here, and that's because we share your sentiments to some extent. I don't think anyone was impressed with DS3 at all.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
sgc_meltdown said:
Andyman Messiah said:
I just want more conversation simulators with spies and conspiracies and stuff

horsie-kun are there any hentai games like this

did you check

you should check
Fixed.

I'm afraid I'd have to noscript so many websites to get ahold of that information, meltdown-man. I'd be happy if someone else did the research. I got shit to dump and carrots to eat and a FF8 LP to resurrect.

Shannow

Waster of Time
Lockkaliber said:
On the subject of DS3, you probably haven't played a lot of video games if DS3 is the worst you've ever played. But there's a reason the game is almost never talked about here, and that's because we share your sentiments to some extent. I don't think anyone was impressed with DS3 at all.
Name a few of those games that are worse. Of course they need to be in genres you halfway like.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Shannow said:
Lockkaliber said:
Name a few of those games that are worse. Of course they need to be in genres you halfway like.
Dragon Age 2 for example. :smug:

Stinger

Arcane
Big Rigs Over the Road Racing.

The recent Call of Duty games.

Dragon Age 2.

Oblivion.

Dungeon Siege 1 (possibly 2 as well though I haven't bothered to play it).

The shitty expansions to Painkiller.

Neverwinter Nights 2 OC (YMMV, I really despised the NWN2 OC aside from the occasionally tongue in cheek moments in the plot).

I can do this all day. Dungeon Siege 3 was disappointing, it had a story that wasn't great for Obsidian's standards (though serviceable for a hack n slash), with not much character customisation. On the other hand it had really good combat mechanics (that could've been better with actual customisation and better rpg elements) which were pretty darn fun, certainly once the better PC controls were patched in. It's not great but it's far from the worst game ever and I'd say it isn't Obsidian's worst game either (still goes to NWN2 OC personally...which is why I'm stupidly holding out for a MOTB-esque expansion esp since Ziets is writing for the game).

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
Flying Spaghetti Monster said:
Alpha Protocol is worse. Seriously, worst game I have ever played to completion, and I did that on accident.
Well, I'm intrigued. "Alpha Protocol. Worst game ever. Played it to completion. By accident." VERY intrigued. There should be a new word for the amount of intrigued I am right now. Any suggestions?

Also, you're a fool but since you played Alpha Protocol and finished it, I still love you. :love:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom