Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What's Obsidian up to now?

Captain Shrek

Volourn said:
"MCA's writing is well above standard game writing. He is our Frank Herbert of game writing"

Don't give a fuck about MCA. WE were talkin' 'bout Obsidian. Their writing has been shit for the past 3 games of theirs I've played - SOZ, AP, and DS3 9well, demo, but notuhin' I heard makes me think otherwise).

P.S. You people are dumb. Actually read what I write and you wouldn't be so ignorant.

Wait. What about DA2. Is AP bad when compared to DA2 in terms oD WRITING?? (See? I spelt in capitals to we can talk about the same thing).

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
why, capitan shrek, DA2 has writing just as good as origins compared to alpha protocol which won't even get a sequel hahahahahaha

nuff said

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"Wait. What about DA2. Is AP bad when compared to DA2 in terms oD WRITING??"

AP's writing is some of thew orstw riti9ng ever. DA2's writing which is not without its flaws, is the best of Shakespear 9or pick your fave writer evar), in comparison.

Deleted member 7219

Volourn said:

AP's writing is some of thew orstw riti9ng ever. DA2's writing which is not without its flaws, is the best of Shakespear 9or pick your fave writer evar), in comparison.

Volourn, are you dyslexic or just a fucking retard?

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Too bad Tim Schafer only does console games now... oops, I'm sorry, iPhone stuff, too.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Metro you troll.

Tweet from Obsidian's developer Alvin Nelson said:
just got some amazing news. I'm stoked. For those that are wondering, you'll find out soon enough. :)

Coyote

Arcane
Is it trolling if it's true? I agree that Schafer's a great writer, but Metro's pretty much right.

Games he's worked on (that have been released) since Psychonauts in 2005 and before that, Grim Fandango in 1998:

• Brütal Legend (Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3)
  • Costume Quest (Xbox Live Arcade and PlayStation Network)
  • Stacking (Xbox Live Arcade and PlayStation Network)
  • Iron Brigade (Xbox Live Arcade)
  • Sesame Street: Once Upon a Monster (Xbox 360, coming out in about a week)

Not sure about the iPhone stuff, though.

Stinger

Arcane
According to Tim it's cause of the Publishers:

Why no PC versions of Brütal Legend, Costume Quest, or Stacking?
As a developer we do not have final say in the sku plan for our games. That is the decision of the person investing the money, i.e. the publisher. We have much of the technology in place to produce PC versions of all these games, but there is still some more work required to make them shippable and that costs money. So far, our publishers have not elected to fund that work. Not because they hate PC Gamers, but because they don't see enough financial reward. Double Fine does care about PC Gamers, and we always push for a PC version, and will continue to do so in the future. If we ever get super stinking rich here, with enough money to fund PC versions of our games, then we will go back and make them ourselves! Oh man, wouldn't that be cool?

Source

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
Matt7895 said:
Volourn said:

I've wondered about that too. My guess has been that he simply can't be arsed to fix his spelling errors, but that in and of itself is a form of retardation.

And also, there shouldn't be that many spelling errors anyway. In this post I've only made about 3 or 4 that I needed to fix.

Sacculina

Educated
Stinger said:
According to Tim it's cause of the Publishers:

Why no PC versions of Brütal Legend, Costume Quest, or Stacking?
As a developer we do not have final say in the sku plan for our games. That is the decision of the person investing the money, i.e. the publisher. We have much of the technology in place to produce PC versions of all these games, but there is still some more work required to make them shippable and that costs money. So far, our publishers have not elected to fund that work. Not because they hate PC Gamers, but because they don't see enough financial reward. Double Fine does care about PC Gamers, and we always push for a PC version, and will continue to do so in the future. If we ever get super stinking rich here, with enough money to fund PC versions of our games, then we will go back and make them ourselves! Oh man, wouldn't that be cool?

Source
Well, since I don't own an iPhone, iPad, PS3, Xbox or a TV, all my storyfag hopes now rest on Obsidian.

Don't let me down, bros!
:mca:

:cry:

DwarvenFood

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Animation ? IS Avatar that big in the states ? It's basically a western Anime, just like Anachronox is a western jRPG. What else is there, that shitty Star Wars Clone thing ? I really hope not.

Maybe it's some Disney shit ? It would explain them not being able to refuse and all..
south-park-disney.jpg

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
I hope the cartoon is Archer and that it's a kind of spiritual sequel to Alpha Protocol.

Keeper Deven said:
Exmit said:
Also Obsidian is probably working on GOTY edition of New Vegas :M
No.
Bethesda will handle that, I'm sure. One disc with the game, one disc with the DLC, there, done.

Shannow

Waster of Time
Dicksmoker said:
Matt7895 said:
Volourn said:

I've wondered about that too. My guess has been that he simply can't be arsed to fix his spelling errors, but that in and of itself is a form of retardation.

And also, there shouldn't be that many spelling errors anyway. In this post I've only made about 3 or 4 that I needed to fix.
From my experience: the faster you type, the more mistakes you'll make. The few times I've watched 10 finger typing they made tons of mistakes, but even with having to correct at least 3 mistakes per sentence they got stuff done 6-8 times faster than I.
So volly is a (probably drunk) raging fanboy, who doesn't give a fuck about readers and can type quite fast. And he's been getting worse, both content and spelling wise.

And I'll repeat the advice you newfags were given: Don't bother trying to get into a discussion with him. He'll either ignore you or ignore/deny any facts you might come up with. Either way it'll be as productive as arguing with a brick wall.

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
Shannow said:
Don't bother trying to get into a discussion with him. He'll either ignore you or ignore/deny any facts you might come up with. Either way it'll be as productive as arguing with a brick wall.

I prefer to think of it as the leisurely internet version of having a shouting conversation from your apartment with the resident alley hobo

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
sgc_meltdown said:
Shannow said:
Don't bother trying to get into a discussion with him. He'll either ignore you or ignore/deny any facts you might come up with. Either way it'll be as productive as arguing with a brick wall.

I prefer to think of it as the leisurely internet version of having a shouting conversation from your apartment with the resident alley hobo
:lol: :salute:

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
I have to say the DSIII engine is p. neat.

That used in a decent RPG with a good toolkit would be p. cool.

Lockkaliber

Magister
Patron
Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
It's called the onyx engine and it was first used for the Aliens RPG as far as I know.

ALSO SUCK IT HATERS!

:mca:

Shannow

Waster of Time
Finally, Obsidian's first game with their own engine! We'll finally see a TB game with awesome gameplay, mechanics, character system, world, story characters and graphics! No bugs and an awesome camera this time around! We all know that the only thing keeping Obsidian back was always having to work with other people's engines!
Suck it haters :M

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Shannow said:
Finally, Obsidian's first game with their own engine! We'll finally see a TB game with awesome gameplay, mechanics, character system, world, story characters and graphics! No bugs and an awesome camera this time around! We all know that the only thing keeping Obsidian back was always having to work with other people's engines!

Dungeon Siege III is using the Onyx engine Shannow.

Lockkaliber

Magister
Patron
Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Shannow said:

you're not retarded you are smart why are you acting retarded shannow-san? Publishers don't want to make games that you like that's why you aren't seeing them. Obsidian is a company that pretty much only delivers (sometimes) for the story fags. If you're not one of us I see no reason to even care about a thread like this.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom