Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What's Obsidian up to now?

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
7M04l.jpg

corvus

Arcane
deuxhero said:
Not the movie (Both the Shyamalan film, and the special effects showcase are very much shit), the Konietzko/DiMartino show that ran for 3 seasons and has a sequel in the works.

The world is unique (no generic fantasy crap), with strong characterization, an advancing plot and a lulzy number of adult jokes. The world's magic system is actually interesting as well, and the one character that becomes extremely powerful in a short amount of time has a good reason. It hits a lot of the stuff the codex regularly wants a cRPG world to do.

Wouldn't some of the mysticism and mystery of element bending be lost in a game though? Especially an RPG. I can't help but feel that if the Last Airbender was turned into a game it would feel more like DBZ with power-ups and "firebending (rank 2)" stuff. Whatever, I'd still be interested in it.

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
Sannom said:
Not the movie about the blue elves, the animated show Avatar: The Last Airbender. Of which the movie adaptation is very bad, granted, but the show is very good.

No it's not, it's a shit kids' show just like every other "leading animation franchise".

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Excidium said:
Can't Obsidian just create their own franchise instead of using other people's shit? FFS...

That is a very hard sell to a Publisher, a devs own franchise. I'm still surprised SEGA even said ok to the Alpha Protocol project. I assume SEGA owns all the rights to it though.

Stinger

Arcane
^^Nope Obsidian owns the rights to Alpha Protocol. It's just a matter of finding a publisher willing to fund a sequel.

As for original IPs, they do seem to be working on some pitches (like that Defiance one) but I guess it's just tough getting a publisher for it.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Stinger said:
As for original IPs, they do seem to be working on some pitches (like that Defiance one) but I guess it's just tough getting a publisher for it.

What project is that?

Interesting to hear Obsidian owns the Alpha Protocol rights though. VERY surprised SEGA would even say yes to that.

Stinger

Arcane
It was mentioned on the first page I think. Something about a middle earth-esque setting where Sauron 'won' and the hobbits are dead and stuff. Dark Fantasy type setting, the way Feargus described it made it sound a bit generic but it's Obsidian so I'm sure they could pull off the setting, story, lore etc well.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Stinger said:
It was mentioned on the first page I think. Something about a middle earth-esque setting where Sauron 'won' and the hobbits are dead and stuff. Dark Fantasy type setting, the way Feargus described it made it sound a bit generic but it's Obsidian so I'm sure they could pull off the setting, story, lore etc well.

Oh yeah, that project. I'd love for it to see the light of day, but I'm sure every publisher will want it turned into yet another fucking shitty action game press X buttan #4657835624837452387253 because that's what sells!

Also the rights to The Alpha Protocol are not owned by Obsidian Entertainment. They are owned by a person. According to the US Copyright office: http://www.copyright.gov/

Sacculina

Educated

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"The world is unique (no generic fantasy crap), "

Are you fukkin' kiddin' me? It involves the four elements - you cna't get more typicalm fantasyish than that. FFS

"with strong characterization, an advancing plot and a lulzy number of adult jokes."

l0lz k

" The world's magic system is actually interesting as well,"

See above.

" and the one character that becomes extremely powerful in a short amount of time has a good reason."

They always do.

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
if obsidian and bioware made a game together what would my bro volourn say about that product

it would have the best of both worlds, bioware's innovative accessibility and polish and obsidian's writing and innovative turnover deadlines

IronicNeurotic

Arbiter
Stinger said:
^^Nope Obsidian owns the rights to Alpha Protocol. It's just a matter of finding a publisher willing to fund a sequel.

The project Sawyer is Project Director on is an Original IP. From last we heard its probably still in pre-production, though.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
Excidium said:
Vaarna_Aarne said:
Excidium said:
Flying Spaghetti Monster said:
serch said:
Thundercats cRPG. It's pretty obvious, guys.

Since when did Obsidian still make rpgs?
Well, first you have to see what goes for RPG these days.
And before that we must decide what is an RPG.
Is it that time of the month?
Definition of an RPG: dress up a character and kill shit to get new kill powers and dresses.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Andyman Messiah said:
Excidium said:
Vaarna_Aarne said:
Excidium said:
Flying Spaghetti Monster said:
serch said:
Thundercats cRPG. It's pretty obvious, guys.

Since when did Obsidian still make rpgs?
Well, first you have to see what goes for RPG these days.
And before that we must decide what is an RPG.
Is it that time of the month?
Definition of an RPG: dress up a character and kill shit to get new kill powers and dresses.
No, it is riding around on a horse killing things.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
IronicNeurotic said:
The project Sawyer is Project Director on is an Original IP. From last we heard its probably still in pre-production, though.
Has that been confirmed in any way aside from that one interview where Urquhart mentioned he and Avellone were working on something new? Cause this recent tweet suggests that idea is dead in the water (at least until the next console generation).

IronicNeurotic

Arbiter
Roguey said:
IronicNeurotic said:
Has that been confirmed in any way aside from that one interview where Urquhart mentioned he and Avellone were working on something new? Cause this recent tweet suggests that idea is dead in the water (at least until the next console generation).

Its confirmed hes a Project Director on a new Project multiple times since then. So, I would assume to.

And that tweet can just be meant in general.

Cynic

Arcane
How much would it hurt Codex if it was Kingdom Hearts and MCA was onboard to write it?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom