Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What's Obsidian up to now?

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
IronicNeurotic said:
J_C said:
Lots of studios are connected to DDM, which never did any animation style games.
http://www.ddmagency.com/game-studio-re ... e-clients/

So that doesn't mean anything.

Uhm, it literary says that Obsidian works on a animation franchise title. :retarded:

Could be anything though and there are plenty awesome animated franchises, so I'm not worried.
Wait, whaaa...? -puts on glasses- Oh...OH, yeah, it really says. Well, it still can be a good game, if they make a game to a good franchise. I hope it is not Pokemon.

Exmit

Scholar
You folks are funny, it's 'The wheel of time' which was announced last year

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/thewh ... el-of-time

http://www.siliconera.com/2011/03/02/ob ... nsed-game/

Red Eagle continued its aid-seeking efforts today, announcing that it had solicited Obsidian Entertainment's role-playing game expertise to help develop The Wheel of Time game

"We are working on another licensed property right now, that has not been announced," said Feargus Urquhart, CEO of Obsidian Entertainment. "But, it’s a licensed property when we do announce it everyone is going to go ‘well, of course you had to make that game.’" Urquhart didn’t spell out the license, but he may have been referring to the Wheel of Time games

concept :
wheel-of-time-concept-art.jpg

the_wheel_of_time_logo.jpg

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Crooked Bee said:
Sonic RPG 2? Sounds like lots of fun!
Sounds like a lot of shit, you mean.

Sonic getting raped into yet another mediocre game or Obsidian going around developing cartoon RPGs...I don't know what would be worse.

Cassidy

Arcane
I think you meant EPIC SONIC.

I approve because if it sucks terribly, something very likely considering Obsidian's history and how I imagine they would fail trying to develop an action platformer, there will be tons of butthurt furfags.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
Exmit said:
You folks are funny, it's 'The wheel of time' which was announced last year

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/thewh ... el-of-time

http://www.siliconera.com/2011/03/02/ob ... nsed-game/

Red Eagle continued its aid-seeking efforts today, announcing that it had solicited Obsidian Entertainment's role-playing game expertise to help develop The Wheel of Time game

"We are working on another licensed property right now, that has not been announced," said Feargus Urquhart, CEO of Obsidian Entertainment. "But, it’s a licensed property when we do announce it everyone is going to go ‘well, of course you had to make that game.’" Urquhart didn’t spell out the license, but he may have been referring to the Wheel of Time games

concept :
wheel-of-time-concept-art.jpg

the_wheel_of_time_logo.jpg
Has Wheel of Time been animated (recently?)?

If not... Does this suggest that there's going to be a Wheel of Time cartoon film and/or show?

IronicNeurotic

Arbiter
Mangoose said:
If not... Does this suggest that there's going to be a Wheel of Time cartoon film and/or show?

No, his post doesn't even make sense. The first Link is OLDER than the second link which says that the game isn't announced yet. The WOT game however WAS announced in the first Link.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
If it was really Wheel of Time they wouldn't refer to it as a "leading animation franchise" since that means it's already a popular cartoon. This is most likely the secret license Feargus couldn't turn down and surprised Avellone. I hope it's an anime. Or Kingdom Hearts: Spinoff (kinda the same thing). Might as well finish the job Alpha Protocol started.

Raghar said:
I would be more intriqued by what would Voulrun say about:
Character design.
Exploration.
Story depth.
Crafting system.
World depth.
Eloquence of writing, and about writing qualities.
Story flow.
Innovativeness.
1. Same old NWN2. Meh.
2. Awful. Some people think having an open world full of pointless (from both a story and usually a combat-perspective) one-room dungeons is awesome, they are wrong.
3. None, shallow as a puddle.
4. Awful, as I detailed above.
5. It's the BORED Coast and YAWN-Ti land.
6. You're a group of adventurers, go perform errands and run around the world killing and looting things till it's time to save the world. Nothing more to see here.
7. Main quest is railroaded and linear as it can get. The "run around the world entering random places and killing/looting random things" rather wrecks the pacing.
8. Party conversation system, that's it really. Nice, wish ToEE had it.

I don't play RPG for combat. There are other qualities of properly made RPG, as even Geneforge 5 proves.
There's no other reason to play Storm of Zehir other than character building and combat. Exploration? Not in this engine. Writing? By the numbers. Choices and consequences? Bioware style.

eric__s

ass hater
Developer
Excidium said:
Crooked Bee said:
Sonic RPG 2? Sounds like lots of fun!
Sounds like a lot of shit, you mean.
Actually it's shaping up to be fairly interesting so far. Instead of character alignment, they're using a slider that measures sexuality, with gay and straight on opposite ends of the spectrum and bi in the middle. Apparently the slider changes based on your actions, sort of like how the alignment system worked in Torment, and characters' reactions to you are based on how close your slider is to theirs (for instance, Dr. Robotnik is confirmed to be Chaotic Bi). Add onto this the fact that at least half of the Sonic character roster is transsexual or hermaphroditic and it's like Obsidian is making a game specifically for the Codex.

deuxhero

Arcane
Given the comment was in feb 2011, I doubt it's a FiM cRPG.

I personally, would love to see a Avatar cRPG. If MoTB's use of Rashemen is anything to go by, it's something Obsidian could work the world quite well.

It will likely be some Disney thing going by how they couldn't turn it down though.

If we include Anime though, there are some things that come to mind, depending on FU's tastes (Thankfull with the MMO, DB is off the table). I've seen GitS suggested, which isn't a bad idea.

Whatever this is, this just reaffirms my idea the job offer was for a cut scene maker, as it would fit an animation based property well.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Avatar was shit. Who would want a game about a shit movie?

Interestingly no one at Obsidian has confirmed or denied this new bit of info.

deuxhero

Arcane
Not the movie (Both the Shyamalan film, and the special effects showcase are very much shit), the Konietzko/DiMartino show that ran for 3 seasons and has a sequel in the works.

The world is unique (no generic fantasy crap), with strong characterization, an advancing plot and a lulzy number of adult jokes. The world's magic system is actually interesting as well, and the one character that becomes extremely powerful in a short amount of time has a good reason. It hits a lot of the stuff the codex regularly wants a cRPG world to do.

Sannom

Augur
Avatar was shit. Who would want a game about a shit movie?

Not the movie about the blue elves, the animated show Avatar: The Last Airbender. Of which the movie adaptation is very bad, granted, but the show is very good.

Interestingly no one at Obsidian has confirmed or denied this new bit of info.
Nobody really asked them though. Plus if we are to believe a tweet by a producer, an announcement may be on its way.

Stinger

Arcane
What can change the nature of a horse?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom