Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What's on your 2024 must play list?

gabel

fork's latest account
Patron
Will play Armored Core VI, should there be a sale some time.

goregasm

Scholar
Urban Strife
Colony Ship
System Shock remake
Metro Exodus

That's essentially it for newer games that I haven't played, that I either own but haven't played, or plan to buy.

As far as what the year looks like, it's all backlog or replaying.

Currently playing:
BG1 with the intent to finish 2 as well (replaying)

Pillars of Eternity 1 and 2 (never played 2)

Kingmaker (never beat)

ToEE (a little)

Planned playthroughs of shit I never finished but enjoyed:

KCD
Days Gone
Outward
Elex
UnderRail
Stalker Gamma/Anomaly
Prey
Expeditions Viking
DoS2

I usually play games that don't "end" as a palate cleanser, Project Zomboid, Warband mods.

That said I have way too many hours of games to get through and just not enough time, it doesn't bother me to put a game down and not finish, as long as I still enjoy most of what I play, it doesn't reflect poor on the game itself to me.

AndyS

Augur
I've been playing the Yakuza games lately. I'll probably keep doing that, taking breaks in between each game to play something random.

Hagashager

Educated
I have no idea what's even coming out next year. Until 2022 I had not bought a video-game brand new since BOTW in 2017. In 2022 I bought Elden Ring, and this year I bought Baldur's Gate 3.

The only game I plan to play is Dark Souls 1, but I've yet to buy it. Outside of that, we"ll see. Mostly just gonna be repeats as usual.

lycanwarrior

Scholar
2023 Games:

WH40K Rogue Trader
RE4 Remake
Mortal Kombat 1
Dark Envoy

2024 Games:

XDefiant
Star Wars Outlaws
Prince of Persia: Lost Crown
Skull & Bones
Assassins Creed Red

Elthosian

Arcane
Jagged Alliance 3, Transistor, SMAC, Sekiro and Elden Ring come to mind, but my backlog is huge so.. yeah.

Fink

Novice
new shit: Dragon's Dogma II, Armored Core VI, Baldur's Gate III, Elden Ring DLC, Monomyth, assuming it comes out in '24.

old shit: have finally completed most of the late '90s-2010 classics, now to catch up on releases from the last 10 years or so.

__scribbles__

Educated
Betrayal at Krondor
Pool of Radiance
Ultima V
Wizardry 6
Hitman: Codename 47
Hitman 2: Silent Assassin
Dishonored
Prey
7.62 High Calibre
Starflight
NWN2: Mask of the Betrayer (fuck the OC)

Various things I've played before but never finished or stuff that's been laying around in my steam/GOG library for a while but I've never gotten around to.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I have three new must play games that I will (God willing) get in 2024: Unicorn Overlord, Like A Dragon: Infinite Wealth, and Archaelund.

Non-2024 games? I hope to finish Baldur's Gate III, Jagged Alliance 3, and at minimum 47 other games.

NorwegianWolf

Educated
Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen
Bioshock 2
Kingdom Come: Deliverance

Red Dead Redemption 2
Skyrim (never played)

Blutwurstritter

Learned
I am curious about Titan Quest II, which might be coming 2024 and Sanctuary: Shattered Sun, although it looks more like its going to be 2025 or later. If they turn out well I'll probably play them close to their release.

processdaemon

Scholar
Patron
Dragon's Dogma 2 is the one I'm looking forward to the most, but I'm also going to play Bloodlines 2 for better or for worse. I maintained delusional levels of hype right up until the 'Phyre' reveal and I feel like I have to play it no matter how bad it is for closure.
I'm also going to get around to Caves of Lore at some point next year and I want to replay Menzoberranzan since that was the first SSI RPG I played and I want to see if it holds up for me now that I've developed a preference for isometric and third person perspectives over first person.
EDIT: Also The Thaumaturge, completely forgot about that one but it looks interesting.

Doctor Gong

Literate
Myst
Riven
High on Life
Hogworts Legacy
Return of the Obra Dinn
Should try to work on finishing Marrowind/Obilivion/Skyrim at some point

Machocruz

Arcane
Upcoming I have mine eye on:

Black Myth Wutang
Unicorn Ovenlord
Xenotit
Laysara: Summbit Kingdom

Old:

State of Degay 2 - will continue to play until 3
Underraild - just landed in Core City last time I played
Monster Hunter Word- last fought Anjanath
Want to get into some Megan Man games
XCOM 2 first play and/or XCOM Lung Wars
RTSpalooza - finish DoW OG campaign + maybe start expansions, start AoE2, Wargraft 2

KafkaBot

Scholar
plan on replaying:

Master of Orion 3
7.62 High Calibre
Myst
Arx Fatalis
Ultima Underworld 1 & 2
Temple of Elemental Evil
I might finally pull the trigger on Arx Fatalis during this sale season. Although I heard the Steam version is shit for some reason? Yes, no? I like to have all my stuff on Steam, but if it's definitely shit, I might consider GOG.
Any unmodded version of Arx Fatalis is a bit subpar, to be honest. The game itself is amazing, but it has several technical problems (especially when it comes to the spells) that are solved by installing a mod, Arx Libertatis.

Now, I'm not sure if the mod is harder to install on the Steam version, but I can attest to the fact that it works quite well on the GOG release.

As for the games I intend to play in 2024:

Already released:

Islands of the Caliph
Colony Ship
Talos Principle 2
Cultic
Blood West
Little Goody Two Shoes
Birth
Neon White
Strangeland
Hedon: Bloodrite
System Shock Remake
The Case of the Golden Idol
Yuppie Psycho

Might release in 2024:
Scarlet Hollow Chapter 5
Kaizen Game Works' new game
Manor Lords
Echoes of the Living

Yes, I do have a problem with my backlog, why do you ask?

Halfling Rodeo

Educated
Monster Hunter Word- last fought Anjanath
Did you stop there for a reason? He's considered the end of the tutorial and where people drop off if they aren't invested. I loved that fight personally.
John Romero to is going to make us his bitch in Daikatana 2.
Romero is all the bitch he'll ever need any more. For Christmas he goes lingerie shopping for himself while his wife sees her boyfriend.

Machocruz

Arcane
Did you stop there for a reason? He's considered the end of the tutorial and where people drop off if they aren't invested. I loved that fight personally.
I had a PS5 at the time and was playing it for "free" with Plus. No, the game is awesome and so is that fight, but I sold the console. My computer is potato, so I'm debating whether to wait until I upgrade next year, or get it during current sale and use Geforce Now, which it just landed on. I've used streaming services here and there for things I couldn't run and it was the holy grail game that none of them had until now. Maybe it's a sign. Main downsides are starting the game over and Iceborne isn't supported yet if I go the GFN route, but probably wiser than rebuying a PS5.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom