Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What's on your 2024 must play list?

Halfling Rodeo

Educated
Can be new or old, as long as it's cleared from the backlog it's viable. So what games do you plan to complete during the next year? If you do report back with how it went.

I want to try Darkened Skies. It's a skittles-tie in action adventure game on the PC and Gamecube. You use skittles to power up your staff in battle. It sounds too dumb to be true!

Elex has been on my bucket list for ages but after one failed attempt I never got back into it. Early combat did not go well and the main hub didn't help with finding quests without it.

The precursors
. This is a Halo prequel right?

Dawn of war (full series). I grew out of 40k a long time ago but I have an RTS itch and DoW has a lot of elements I like.

Lemming42

Arcane
Darkened Skye is pretty funny, you can tell the devs didn't know what the fuck they were meant to do with the request for a "Skittles action game", so the producer just felt like her best bet was to take the piss out of the whole thing.

2024 looks pretty light on interesting games, especially coming after 2023 which was packed. Stargate Timekeepers, S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2, and Selaco are the only scheduled releases I have noted down.

El Presidente

Arcane
Stargate Timekeepers
I have it on my wishlist too if only because it's a Commandos clone and I love the genre, but my expectations couldn't be any lower :negative: Seen some videos of people playing the demo and it looks absurdly rough and janky to put it very mildly. Also Stargate fans aren't happy with how they're handling the setting.

Mind you, there's a Commandos reboot game set for a 2024 release too:

...that also isn't looking very hot to be frank. :negative:

On a brighter note, recently I discovered the people behind Shovel Knight are making a game heavily inspired by the GB Zelda games and it's looking very promising, really hope this gets released in 2024:

cruel

Cipher
FF7 Rebirth, Rise of the Ronin and Black Myth: Wukong (assuming it's not going to suck).

Sent from my KB2005 using Tapatalk

The only Ultima game I've ever completed is Ascension and Runes of Virtue on the gameboy. Never really gave 7 a fair shake- its viewing angle I've always found extremely off-putting. I'd like to go through 7 and possibly its predecessors. A 4 thru 7 first time playthrough best case.

Also never played Alpha Centauri. Might try to rectify this in 2024- but it's more likely I'll just fall into a Master of Magic rabbit hole again. I know Alpha Centauri's great but my problem with 4X games in general is they always just make me want to boot up Master of Magic. I think I've managed to get through a single MOO2 and maybe a handful of AoW3 campaigns in the past decade without just going back to MOM.

Really it's just been a long time since I've played a decent sci-fi game. Maybe I'll try Star Trek: 25th anniversary (haven't played it since I was a kid) and Judgement Rites. I've also had my eye on Infinite Space on the DS, but I wouldn't say I have a burning desire to play it. Maybe re-install Freelancer? We'll see.

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BRO YOUR MOMS NAPPY DUGOUT

BUT MORE SERIOUSLY I BOUGHT SEKIRO ON STEAM SO AFTER I FINISJIH ALL CHEEVOS FOR LIES ABOUT PEE IM GOING AFTER SEKIRO AGAIN

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
Dragon's Dogma 2
Yakuza Infinite Wealth
Tekken 8

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Colony Ship RPG (yes I've been waiting for patche and no time to play)

Aliens Dark Descent

Signalis

Robocop game

Turbo Overkill

Amnesie the Bunker

Beautiful Desolation

HansDampf

Arcane
Blood West
The Black Parade
System Shock Remake
Colony Ship (maybe)
Duskers
Ion Fury Aftershock
Some Doom WADs

Modron

Arcane
Stuff I am keeping an eye on for 2024 (not all of if will come out in 24 of course)

Like a Dragon Infinite Wealth
Code of the Savage
Urban Strife
Kingsvein
Call of Sarengar
The Jovian System
Prometheus Wept
Menace
The Season of the Warlock
Prim
The Drifter
Harold Halibut
The Mermaid's Tongue
Death of the Reprobate
Last Time I Saw You
Another Space Opera - Episode 1: The Wake of The Giant
Archaelund
Broken Alliance
Silence of the Siren
Exoplanet First Contact (if they finish it)
Outcast a New Beginning (if my potato can handle it)
Crown Wars: The Black Prince
Metal Slug Tactics
DD 2 (computer probably isn't strong enough to run it nicely)

2022-23 stuff I haven't got yet
Butterlord
Wartales
King Arthur
Hero's Adventure: Road to Passion
Wandering Sword
Back to the Dawn
Sifu
Black Geyser
Gobliiins 5
Old School

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard
nothing, I'm burned out on gameplay. Haven't played for weeks now, despite posting on here every day.

I have visual novels, books and comics that I want to read though.

Martyr

Arcane
plan on playing for the first time:

Anachronox
Betrayal in Antara
Talos Principle
Colony Ship
The Longest Journey
Splinter Cell
Icewind Dale 2

plan on replaying:

Master of Orion 3
7.62 High Calibre
Myst
Arx Fatalis
Ultima Underworld 1 & 2
Temple of Elemental Evil

gabel

fork's latest account
Patron
Must play? Nothing.
Keep an eye on whether they may be worth playing?
Dragon's Dogma 2
Elden Ring DLC

I'm sure I'll replay some older shit, not sure what that'll be though.

NorwegianWolf

Educated
plan on replaying:

Master of Orion 3
7.62 High Calibre
Myst
Arx Fatalis
Ultima Underworld 1 & 2
Temple of Elemental Evil
I might finally pull the trigger on Arx Fatalis during this sale season. Although I heard the Steam version is shit for some reason? Yes, no? I like to have all my stuff on Steam, but if it's definitely shit, I might consider GOG.

Last edited:

Falksi

Arcane
Dragons Dogma 2
Yakuza Infinite Wealth
Metaphor
Blackguards 2
Persona 3 Reloaded
Finish Tyranny (started it, really liked it, files got wrecked around 1/3rd of the way through)
Revisit Blade Runner
Disco Elysium
Deus Ex Invisible War
Guns Gore and Cannelloni 1 & 2
Sengoku Rance
ZPF

Last edited:

Martyr

Arcane
plan on replaying:

Master of Orion 3
7.62 High Calibre
Myst
Arx Fatalis
Ultima Underworld 1 & 2
Temple of Elemental Evil
I might finally pull the trigger on Arx Fatalis during this sale season. Although I heard the Steam version is shit for some reason? Yes, no? I like to have all my stuff on Steam, but if it's definitely shit, I might consider GOG.
I only have it on CD and gog, so no idea if the steam version is shit.
but the game is absolutely awesome. top 10 goat rpgs if you ask me.
tbh it's a "worse" game than Ultima Underworld considering the level design and overall liveliness, NPCs are much more static and there are no dynamic unscripted faction wars going on.
on the other hand the game has an atmosphere similar to the supernatural levels in Thief throughout the entire game, no matter where you are and what you do. that really drew me in.
just don't make the mistake thinking you can win this as a pure melee fighter, maybe because you think the magic system is daunting. I've read that it's possible, but after making that mistake myself and coming to the part where there are tons of these Ylsides warriors I have a hard time imagining it. if you know what spells to use they are almost as easy as any other enemy in the game.

KD6-3.7

Literate
Hoping for release of -

Age of Barbarians Chronicles
Death of the Reprobate
Tormentum II

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom