Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What's the jRPGs of note of the past 10 years?

biffthestiff

Educated
I used to play jRPGs in the SNES/PS1/PS2 era. I've been sorta out of the loop, mostly playing indie PC games. Anything groundbreaking come out that I shouldn't miss out on?

Also, can someone explain to me how games like Honkai Star Rail compare to a traditional jRPG? I know nothing about these weird korean games. I read multiple comments saying it's an RPG with a real story, fantastic turn-based combat, and fantastic soundtrack, so my interest was piqued. But when I searched Youtube for reviews, there was no normal gamer reviews, it was just Twitch streamers who say they played it for 1000 hours (WTF?) or sponsored videos. Do games like this not have an ending then? Or is it like Diablo 2 where after you complete the story, you can do online content forever? If it's the latter, then is it still enjoyable as a single player game? I played and loved Diablo 2 single-player campaigns.

Yuber

Novice
The only JRPG I think was good in the last 10 years was Dragon Quest 11.
Everything else was just bad or only OK.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Honkai Star Rail compare to a traditional jRPG?

is basically a barebone JRPG where characters has 1 attack, 1 skill, and 1 limit break. Don't really play if you are aiming the gameplay department of JRPG. Story and music is actually decent enough. Most modern gacha games, including Star Rail is a game which main attraction is the story keep getting updated slowly over the year.
I enjoy it for what it is. After initial burst of content you probably have like half dozen hour of new content per month until big patches where the content can get dozen+ hours.

Anything groundbreaking come out that I shouldn't miss out on?

I mean not really groundbreaking but Kiseki series is probably the only modern JRPG series worth a damn with fun enough gameplay, expansive world, loads of characters.

Dragon Quest 11 is amazing homage to old JRPGs.

The Fire Emblem series got revived with some decent and mixed bag games, but they are fun enough.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Honkai Star Rail compare to a traditional jRPG? I know nothing about these weird korean games.
nigga, it's chinese gacha - most evil, greedy and predatory games in the world.

said the FGO player kek
compared to genshin and honkai ANY other gacha is extremelly generous.

Nigga in Star Rail you are balanced on reaching soft pity per patch.

FGO when I played it last you can roll 200 times and not get an SSR

Reinhardt

Arcane
Honkai Star Rail compare to a traditional jRPG? I know nothing about these weird korean games.

said the FGO player kek

Nigga in Star Rail you are balanced on reaching soft pity per patch.

FGO when I played it last you can roll 200 times and not get an SSR
it can happen even now but it's much easier to mitigate. did pity twice this year and even then i have all new ssr servants except muramasa, because i don't care about him and valentine event, because i didn't had internet for 1,5 months at that time.
still enough to get me dark fox even if i will have to do pity roll. and yes - rolled for halloween servants yesterday and got them. 6x10 and 30 tickets.
never spent any money.

summer kama was probably most trollish encounter. literally got her on 298 roll, only 2 before guaranteed drop.

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
Shin Megami Tensei IV
Shin Megami Tensei IV Apocalypse
Shin Megami Tensei V
Shin Megami Tensei Strange Journey Redux
Yakuza 7

Falksi

Arcane
Can't remember a "SNES" or "PS1" era, can remember the 16 & 32-bit eras though :cool:

• SMT IV
  • SMT V
  • Persona 5 Royal
  • Persona 4 Golden
  • Yakuza 7/Like a Dragon
Persona 5 Royal & Yakuza Like a Dragon are the only games in the past 5-10 years which have really grabbed me and made me feel as if gaming had been taken to another level in some way. Persona 5R's stylish presentation is just supreme.

biffthestiff

Educated
So Dragon Quest 11, Shin Megami Tensei 4/5, and Yakuza 7 (which I thought was a GTA clone?). Thanks kings!

Honkai Star Rail compare to a traditional jRPG?

is basically a barebone JRPG where characters has 1 attack, 1 skill, and 1 limit break. Don't really play if you are aiming the gameplay department of JRPG. Story and music is actually decent enough. Most modern gacha games, including Star Rail is a game which main attraction is the story keep getting updated slowly over the year.
I enjoy it for what it is. After initial burst of content you probably have like half dozen hour of new content per month until big patches where the content can get dozen+ hours.

1 attack and 1 skill? I was hoping it could be the next evolution of turn-based combat. So whoever said it was a great combat system is a moron?

If the story keeps developing over years, then that's a red flag too. It means they're just making it up as they go along instead of following a specific well-designed structure. Maybe even they change writers half-way through (or constantly!). No good can come of this model.

hGRchfk.png

Trails of Cold Steel. A story heavy turn-based JRPG series set in a fantasy Prussian analog that is undergoing turmoil as the imperial government overreaches its power, and a declining aristocracy with their backs against the wall as modernization diminishes their power. There is also a brewing cold war with an expansionist republic. It's a powderkeg waiting to go off. The characters are extremely likeable. Features mechas and airships. Is aesthetically pleasing enough, and has a great soundtrack, and a surprisingly good English dub and localization (the latter games have some hiccups on that front but are still overall good). Also has top notch PC ports by Durante (the guy who fixed the Dark Souls 1 ports). Combat and character building was very enjoyable. The first two games have the strongest writing. The latter games (CS3, CS4, and Trails into Reverie) drop the ball multiple times but were still enjoyable. The newest Trails game, Kuro no Kiseki/Trails into Daybreak, has a nice upgrade in visual presentation, but I found it to be too easy on nightmare difficulty and the story had severe padding and pacing issues.

4OErJbf.png

Valkyria Chronicles 4. Story wise, it has several derpy moments during the first few hours, but then those disappear and from then it's very good story wise. I would recommend playing it after VC1 (don't play VC2 and 3). Looks aesthetically great, has good music, decent English dub and localization. Gameplay was fun.

Also, can someone explain to me how games like Honkai Star Rail compare to a traditional jRPG?

JRPG: 50-100 hours long, you get all the party members when you buy.

Genshin Impact/Honkai Star Rail: you don't get all the party members, instead you get a handful from the gacha roll. Game is padded out with grinds and it takes several hours of doing tedious MMO daily chores to raise your adventure rank high enough so you can do the next chapter of the story, which is generally shitty compared to real JRPGs. Due to the live service MMO setup and the monetization being that they sell people waifus, the stories can't do anything dramatic like kill off a playable character or nuke a city like in a singleplayer JRPG. If you want a real JRPG experience, play a real JRPG.

said the FGO player kek

Granblue Fantasy is the most friendly gacha game I have ever seen. They don't wave ads in your face. No P2W. You can beat the story and even the raids with any characters. Paying only really gives you a leg up in "racing" (topping the top 3 spots on the DPS charts to get a little more loot). The only timegating is for an optional collection (the 10 Eternals characters). There are three seasonal events each year (the leadup to Christmas/New Years in December, the leadup to the game's anniversary in March, and the summer event in August) where you can get hundreds of free draws. I have 400 characters in GBF and I never grinded for them or dropped cash for them. You can also easily save up "sparks" so you can pick any character you specifically want. Character designer is final fantasy veterans Akihiko Yoshida and Hideo Minaba. Music by Uematsu and Tsutomu Narita. The game is almost completely voice acted. Some of the stories are good. However, again it is a live service and their main source of income is selling people waifus, so there is a lack of tension/stakes in the story since you know they're never going to blow up a city or kill off a playable character.

Reinhardt

Arcane
Granblue Fantasy is the most friendly gacha game I have ever seen.
i think, another eden is the most friendly gacha. simply because there is no such thing as "limited time event". everything added is permanent. pretty much huge single player jrpg with gacha and constant updates.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
1 attack and 1 skill? I was hoping it could be the next evolution of turn-based combat. So whoever said it was a great combat system is a moron?

Yeah. Combat is simplistic. In general difficult fight are about resource management (when to use Skill and Limit Break) so it can be adequate enough, but it's not really complex.

If the story keeps developing over years, then that's a red flag too. It means they're just making it up as they go along instead of following a specific well-designed structure. Maybe even they change writers half-way through (or constantly!). No good can come of this model.

Yes and no. In general these games (online gacha games) is intentionally made to have the story be dripped as content over the years. As I said, one patch you get 6 - 12 hours of actual content playtime including the combat and all. So you basically only get tidbits of the story. Instead of making shit up imagine more that it's JRPG in episodic format if that make sense.

That being said change in writer for these games is also a very real thing that sometimes you can feel the change in quality.

Anonymous Ranger

Literate
I thought this would be easier but all the ones I was going to say have already been talked about in the thread. Tales of Vesperia came out in 2008 but the Definitive Edition came out in 2019 does that count?
Pokemon Legends: Arceus was pretty fun as well I would count that one as one of the better newer ones.

Ysaye

Arbiter
The ones of note for mine (ignoring re-releases/reimagined games/translated older games):

• Trails of Cold Steel Series (2013-2018) - again, impact of a good series previously mainly held in japan to a wider audience (albeit still a little niche). If I picked one - CS3.
  • Stranger of Sword City (2014) - probably the most note-worthy j-dungeon crawler of that time.
  • Ys 8 (2016) - Most successful Ys game in a while with a great soundtrack. The Top "Easy" Action JRPG.
  • Persona 5 (2016) - Best selling of this type of game so far.
  • Dragon Quest XI (2017) - Massive impact from a previously mainly japanese audience game series into the West.
  • Nier: Automata (2017) - Yes not sure why this is here - sexy girl in black dress with a katana? No - it was the philosophical elements that's right!
  • Octopath Traveler (2018) - the starter of the high definition 2.5D JRPG fad.
  • Dungeon Encounters (2021) - just because...it took Wizardry levels of despair top down with a minimalist approach.
  • Elden Ring (2022) - Dark Souls in an Open World, almost made From Software mainstream.
Some Etrian Odysseys, Fire Emblems, Xenoblade chronicles (not to mention some more FF, Pokemon, Atelier etc.) and other bits and pieces also happened in that time but nothing worthy of actual note IMO.

Sarathiour

Cipher
Granblue Fantasy is the most friendly gacha game I have ever seen.
i think, another eden is the most friendly gacha. simply because there is no such thing as "limited time event". everything added is permanent. pretty much huge single player jrpg with gacha and constant updates.
Last origin is some coomer gook gacha with the same philosophy. Surprisingly enough, it's probably one of those where I had the most to think about my party composition in order to solve the "puzzle".

deuxhero

Arcane
Digimon Story Cyber Sleuth's western release was 2016. It's sequel is OK but lacks the adorable FeMC of the original
Tales of Vesperia's re-release is worth a note, since the actually finished version wasn't released in English before.

If you mean strictly jRPG as in the shitty Final Fantasy type games, then nothing. It's a shitty sub-genre with no redeeming qualities.

But if you expand it to RPG-like games made in glorious Nippon, then Breath of the Wild and Tears of the Kingdom are amazing.

deuxhero

Arcane
Metal Max 2 Reloaded's translation is pretty new, and the game itself less than 12 years. It's genuinely a great 5/5 experience.

Casual Hero

Augur
If you mean strictly jRPG as in the shitty Final Fantasy type games, then nothing. It's a shitty sub-genre with no redeeming qualities.

But if you expand it to RPG-like games made in glorious Nippon, then Breath of the Wild and Tears of the Kingdom are amazing.
I don't really get why you need to insert negativity into threads like this. If you don't like jRPGs, then why even bother saying anything?
And yes, the new Zelda games are amazing.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom