Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Grand Strategy Where is Victoria III?

Discussion in 'Strategy and Simulation' started by IDtenT, Feb 2, 2021.

1. Humanophage Arcane

Humanophage
    Who makes good historical games? All I see are just highly abstract combat games like Fields of Glory 2 or games that focus on some individual narrative like A Legionary's Life. They generally don't have anything except warfare. Paradox was the best and most detailed option. Unfortunately, their games have been turning more and more into boring gamey map-painting contests with mana that fail to register any differences between countries.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Axioms Learned

Axioms
    Wait were Paradox ever not map painters? That doesn't seam right.

^ Top  
  3. Humanophage Arcane

Humanophage
    Both Victoria and Crusader Kings have plenty more content than map-painting, even though the mouthbreather fanbase is obsessed with the latter (and dumb memes for CK). On the other hand, there is little difference in how anything plays in Europa Universalis, and it all devolves into conquering everything that moves, with minimal events. EU4 is a bit less bad than EU3, which was the pinnacle of awful. If you want to play a regular strategy and don't care for history, just play Civ4, which has much better and more detailed mechanics and is actually better at preventing blobbing.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Harthwain Cipher

Harthwain
    Crusader Kings could be played without caring about painting the map (except in cases where being conquered meant getting outsted from your lands). Same goes for Victoria. You could say Hearts of Iron was about painting the map, but I'd argue the focus was on logistics and you could always set victory goals, meaning you didn't have to "paint the map" as such, but rather aim to accomplish your strategic objectives.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Axioms Learned

Axioms
    I've played almost 1000 hours of CK2. Ya'll are way off base. Sure there were technically non-combat systems but they were shallow as fuck and mostly revolved around waiting for timers.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Axioms Learned

Axioms
    There's no explanation for people insisting that CK2 has amazing non-combat mechanics except a deficit of imagination. Sure from like 2011-2015 CK2 was pretty good, mostly due to lack of competition but even with heavy mods it couldn't really replicate the experience of reading a feudal political thriller. Plots were especially egregious.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • coof coof x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Silva Arcane

Silva
    Humanophage has a point about Vicky and CK, and I include Imperator (post 2.0) as another "good at peacetime" entry. Everything else Pdox does is map painting. Problem being: Map painting is what gives them the most money, both now and historically.

About CK peacetime: Axioms , remember that roleplaying your character through events is peacetime, as is spending hours on a UI for selecting the right wife. So I think CK peacetime is decent, even if it's not related to what one expects from a pure strategy game like building, research, etc. But then the game never sold itself as a pure strat game, it's an hybrid.

^ Top  
  8. Axioms Learned

Axioms
    The options available for various activities are incredibly limited. CK2 peacetime was absolutely unique and even moderately impressive for 2011 but it isn't now a decade later. We didn't even get secrets until CK3 and even then the secrets system is more potential than actualization. And we got barely anything else as far as intrigue. Internal politics is a joke. Diplomacy is about equal to EU4.

For people who read my annoying wiki links you can see how much more could be done peacetime wise. And Victoria 3 is arguably halfway between CK2 and what is in the links. Assuming they follow through on promises.

CK2, and later 3, left so much on the table. Even silly event shit but especially systematic stuff.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Larianshill Scholar

Larianshill
    I hope they don't fuck this up.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. AgentFransis Arbiter Patron

AgentFransis
    What do you mean here by abstract? Field of Glory 2 has an extremely solid and detailed tactical combat system. If by abstract you mean devoid of a larger strategic context then you can try Field of Glory: Empires which has an optional FoG2 integration. It's a solid historical strategy game with some interesting mechanics to reign in mindless map painting and a very nice province development system to keep you busy in peace time.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  11. Theodora Arcane Patron

Theodora
    RPG Wokedex
    Have you tried Imperator anytime recently? It's basically alien to the release version (which admittedly was mostly just a mana heavy map painter). I've seen plenty of people say it's their favourite paradox game now, largely due to the peacetime gameplay.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • "It was Aliens" "It was Aliens" x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Harthwain Cipher

Harthwain
    Sounds to me like it's you who lacks imagination.

I played more than 1000 hours in CK2 and the most fun I had was by going from a lowly Count to King (and then - as King - trying to keep everything together, especially when targeted by a powerful neighbour). When you're making plans and looking for the means to accomplish them there is rarely a dull moment, even during peacetime. And I say that as someone who played only the base version of the game, without any mods.

You mean that game you never finished? Anyone can make grandiose concepts. Getting them to work though...

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Axioms Learned

Axioms
    Sounds more like you are shifting the context of lacking imagination. I am talking about what kind of gameplay CK2-3 could have. Not about patching gaps in the games as they exist. I played vanilla CK2. It was fun. But my brain was doing too much of the work to cover up limitations of the mechanics.

My game was unfinished, for personal financial reasons mostly. But the issue isn't the specifics of those mechanics and their implementation. It is whether or not you could extend the complexity of the simulation of D/I/P mechanics to compare with combat. CK2 doesn't, much less CK3, although CK2 beats most other games that is only in relative terms. Vicky 3 looks like it is going to do more for peacetime than CK2, and even less CK3, ever did. Not just on pops/factories but in other areas as well.

^ Top  
  14. Harthwain Cipher

Harthwain
    I will believe that when I see it. I still remember how Stellaris was at release. Maybe it's better now, but I can't get bothered to buy a ton of DLCs to get game in playable state. Same goes for Imperator - I heard horror stories from my brother about it (and he plays Europa Universalis 4 A LOT) when it was released, so I wrote it off then and there. It's a shame, because Imperator too looked like it had very interesting elements, but (similarly to Stellaris) they were better on paper than in action.

• Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Axioms Learned

Axioms
    I mean original Imperator was always kinda trashy IMO. Not just the mana but a bunch of other stuff. Stellaris was always intended to be a 4x game where they just had only custom nations. Basically GalCiv or Stardrive but with slightly more options. But it was never, for instance, intended for races to be anything but buff stacking, even if they had more buffs with slightly more flavor than other space 4X games. Planet bonuses, building adjacency, etc were all typical 4X stuff. CK3 similarly was a let down from the get go.

Vicky3 is promising a lot more interesting stuff from the start. For me anyways. People like different stuff. With Paradox you just have to cut through the fanboy hype and be realistic about what the devs actually said. Now maybe Martin doesn't live up to what he said about Vicky3 but the actual info contains more cool stuff than most Paradox games, again for me personally.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Silva Arcane

Silva
    Fair. But notice that Imperator became an actual good game now, including arguably the best peacetime as a pure strat game in Pdox recent memory. Only Vicky2 surpasses it in this regard, IMO.

(of course, most EU4 players will disagree, because all they want is fantasy painting while ignoring peacetime altogether)

• Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Axioms Learned

Axioms
    I don't think I've played Imperator after the redo, I might look at it. But the original was just such a let down that I never even thought of going back.

I think EU4 is my most played Paradox game but I suspect this is because of reasons unrelated to peacetime vs wartime options. Mostly that CK2 was a real letdown for me as more and more DLCs dropped and the game didn't get a ton of new D/I/P content.

^ Top  
  18. Silva Arcane

Silva
    Honestly, I can't stand EU4. Gave it a fair chance (40 hours or so), but when I realized it had very little to offer beside map painting, I dropped it.

Not saying its a bad game, I just don't see the appeal of pure map painting. I was always a builder in SMAC.

^ Top  
  19. Axioms Learned

Axioms
    EU4 is a min-maxing sim, not a map-painting sim. I always turtle and build in RTS, or even TBS really. But if you approach EU4 just to min-max shit it is fun. Also just like to be Polish in all Paradox games.

• Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Theodora Arcane Patron

Theodora
    RPG Wokedex
    You really should try it again. It's a completely different game, barely anything has survived from the original games. Characters, politics, pops, military, UI, religion, and culture have all seen complete revamps. Mana is long gone.

^ Top  
  21. Harthwain Cipher

Harthwain
    What are the best/strongest points of Imperator: Rome? What is it all about in the context of all the other Paradox titles?

^ Top  
  22. Axioms Learned

Axioms
    Mine still seems to have mana. Or are the 4 stats no longer mana? Maybe I'm missing an update?

^ Top  
  23. Silva Arcane

Silva
    What these 4 stats are called?

Vicky Pops/Culture + CK2 internal politics/schemes.

I suggest trying a small republic for maximum effect (like Massylia, for example). Avoid Rome as it makes the game broken easy.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Theodora Arcane Patron

Theodora
    RPG Wokedex
    Have you pirated it or something? Does your game look like below? It should be pretty obvious given the UI rework that came with 2.0.

Show Spoiler
    [​IMG]

There's a bar at the top, but those numbers aren't mana. The only thing that's even close is political influence. The 'stats' that were the fuel of mana in the original game have very different functions now:

https://imperator.paradoxwikis.com/Characters#Primary
    https://imperator.paradoxwikis.com/Attributes

Last edited: May 24, 2021
    ^ Top  
  25. Axioms Learned

Axioms
    Okay I probably have the update then.

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.