Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Which game was best -- Duke Nukem 3D, Blood or Shadow Warrior?

Which was the best?

• Total voters

Stella Brando

Arcane

Which of these boomer shooters was best?

Last edited:

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
I've loved both Doom and Duike Nukem 3D.
I haven't played Quake since I was a teen, and I haven't played the rest.

So for the time being, I'll say Doom = Duke Nukem 3D. Different games for different tastes, two entirely separate experiences. I love Duke Nukem 3D's detailed maps as much as I love Doom's visceral action.

Zlaja

Arcane
Multiple votes are allowed

giphy.webp

Curratum

For me, it's a more or less equal split between Blood and Duke Nukem. Both have their issues.

Shadow Warrior has way more negatives than positives so it can't even compare directly.

Curratum

When it comes to Build engine games it goes like this:

Blood>DN3D and SW>PowerSlave and Ion Fury>Redneck Rampage>Witchaven 2: Blood Vengeance>Witchaven and Tekwar>NAM

I was almost ready to take your opinion seriously, then I saw you put DN and SW on the same level. Likewise, Ion Fury is leagues ahead of SW. All of this is due to quantifiable, measurable factors, not just because "I said so". If you need me to, I'd list them.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
If you need me to, I'd list them.

Please do.
You probably don't like invisible ninjas who can kill you with one shot in SW ;)?
Still, the enemies are more interesting to deal with, than those that we fight in Ion Fury.
I've replayed both titles during this year and SW was simply more fun. In IF you need to pay close attention to hit scanners in every room and play it slower. I'm talking about maximum difficulty just to be clear.

schru

Arcane
Duke Nukem 3D > Blood ~ Shadow Warrior (it's harder to get into its flow and learn to use the full arsenal, so it tends to be underappreciated as a result, but I think I prefer it to Blood) >> Ion Fury.

Doom and Quake are each much better than all the Build games, however.

Lemming42

Arcane
Blood stomps the other two into dust, honestly. Almost all Duke's best moments come in L.A. Meltdown, while Shadow Warrior constantly oscillates between good, decent, and shit in terms of level design.

Morroweird

Educated
Rednerck Rampurge...

Seriously, did anyone try WWII G.I.? On sale right now. I'm tempted, even if NAM (from the same devs) sucked arse...

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Blood has too much hitscan and broken difficulty settings. Shadow Warrior has obnoxious puzzles. Duke is best.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
I remember playing lan death matches with Duke and shrinking roommates to step on them and shouting out "Groovy" every time. Good times.

Finished Blood and Shadow Warrior but don't remember much about them.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom