Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Which Tabletop Franchise Should Larian Adapt Next?

Which Tabletop Franchise Should Larian Adapt Next?

• 1. Shadowrun

• 2. Warhammer Fantasy

• 3. None, Larian should continue their own Divinity franchise

• 4. None, Larian should make something original other than D&D and Divinity for once

• 5. Others

• 6. Kingcomrade

• 7. D&D, Larian should make Baldur's Gate 4 (level 12 to 20)

Results are only viewable after voting.

cyborgboy95

News Cyborg
F348z9vXgAA8BVZ

Seeing this meme begging for Larian to adapt Warhammer fantasy into a turn-based CRPG make me wonder: After D&D, which tabletop franchise would benefit the most from being adpated into a turn-based CRPG by Larian? With BG3 popping off as hard as it did, lots of franchises are gonna want the Larian treatment now, so the possibilities are there.

Probably not Warhammer fantasy though, Larian is know for having a kinky sense of humor, I am not very sure it feels well in WH grim darkness.

But what about Shadowrun? Given that nearly all the major tabletop franchises like D&D, Pathfinder, Cyberpunk have had their time to shine as crpg in recent years, with World of Darkness and Warhammer 40k to follow suit soon (Bloodlines 2 from unknown new developer and Rogur Trader from Owlcar respectively), only Shadowrun hasn't received any attention from crpg developers since 2015.

Do you think Larian can do Shadowrun justice, if Microsoft - the current digital right owner of Shadowrun - give them a go-ahead? After all, a setting that mix tolkien-esque fantasy tropes with cyberpunk vibe like Shadowrun have a lot of potential for a turn-based CRPG, as Shadowrun Dragonfall and Hong Kong prove. After Baldur's Gate 3, it can be safely said that if there is any studio who can turn a turn-based CRPG based on Shadowrun IP into a critical and commercial hit with mass appeal, it's Larian.

I also wouldn't mind if Larian use the fund from Baldur's Gate 3's success to have another go at Divinity Dragon Commander... Gosh I love that game despite its flaws, a sequel/reboot with bigger budget that can address all the original's shortcomings would be welcome.

perfectslumbers

Arbiter
Another 5e game since it took them a ton of effort to implement it in the engine and it would be a waste to spend another half a decade implementing a different tabletop system. Ideally their next game is less ambitious with the plot and is a simpler story since they can't handle complex stories well.

scytheavatar

Scholar
Magic The Gathering CRPG seems the most obvious thing, since WOTC has done a remarkable job with the Ravnica and Theros sourcebook. And MTG is objectively a bigger IP than D&D and prime for harvesting.

Modron

Arcane
Voted kingcomrade because the most obvious choice that is right up the alley of BG3 fans wasn't included, I am talking about F.A.T.A.L..

goregasm

Scholar
I just want the sega genesis shadowrun back.

Previously I wouldn't have minded if M$ tapped inexile or obsidian for that, but I'm skeptical I would like their approach considering their current projects.

I think Larian will probably do the DLC thing for BG3 and then move on to a new self made IP before heading back to the DoS well.

lightbane

Arcane
Clearly, the best answer is FATAL. Or Nightbane, ultra-edgy rip-off game of WoD where you can play as an eldritch horror monster made of guns that also has a TV as a torso, that somehow radiates an aura of sexiness, all thanks to its random generator character creation.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
Clearly, the best answer is FATAL. Or Nightbane, ultra-edgy rip-off game of WoD where you can play as an eldritch horror monster made of guns that also has a TV as a torso, that somehow radiates an aura of sexiness, all thanks to its random generator character creation.

Black Tokyo.

ind33d

Educated
Magic The Gathering CRPG seems the most obvious thing, since WOTC has done a remarkable job with the Ravnica and Theros sourcebook. And MTG is objectively a bigger IP than D&D and prime for harvesting.
magic has been diluted by the crossover shit. if WOTC were smart they would have Larian make an RPG based on Dreamblade or Hecatomb or Duel Masters. WOTC cancels all of its good games and then wonders why Hasbro is millions of dollars in the red

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard
Another 5e game since it took them a ton of effort to implement it in the engine and it would be a waste to spend another half a decade implementing a different tabletop system. Ideally their next game is less ambitious with the plot and is a simpler story since they can't handle complex stories well.
Yeah I’d like to see a mechanically complex and superior game using 5e with a less flashy story and a lot less gay sex.

Anonymous Ranger

Literate
You know if Larian got it hands on the Warhammer IP you would have to suffer through the bear sex stuff again but instead of a bear it would be a Chaos Spawn or something gross like that.

Rhobar121

Scholar
You know if Larian got it hands on the Warhammer IP you would have to suffer through the bear sex stuff again but instead of a bear it would be a Chaos Spawn or something gross like that.
Oh, I'm sure Owlcat will provide us with that.
A Xeno x Space Marine scene would make the game sell real well I'm sure of it.
Owlcat is still making russian Mass Effect.
So I'd be careful what you wish for because knowing the Owlcat you have a chance to get it.

Herumor

Scholar
I voted for the Divinity option, not because I want more of Divinity: Original Sin 2, but because I want them to finally make a sequel to Divinity 2: Dragon Knight Saga and finish that story once and for all.

VerSacrum

Educated
Was inclined to say Drakensang 3 so it could have some non-atrocious combat for once, but then the thought of bumsex with Forgrimm and the fact that a DSA adaptation can only be done by Germans hit me.

Series deserved better than what they did to it with Drakensang Online, anyway.

Self-Ejected

Atlet

Self-Ejected
Vatnik
Larian shud adopt all the well beloved TT franchises so we can get ALL the butthurt POSSIBLE from the dextards.

So, I vote WoD, Shadowrun, Pathfinder and whatever the fuck you tards love.

Although... I would love to see a BG4 fosho, an EVEN BETTER sequel to the GOAT.

Swen day bitches! We living in the golden era of crpgs weeeeeeeeeee

RaggleFraggle

Ask me about VTM
WoD is a bad idea. Paradox has already fucked with the lore so now fans hate it, but Larian will be forced to use that canon.

I second Nightbane, assuming Larian could secure the rights. Isn’t the company long out of business or something?

I think Larian is better off just making a new IP. All IPs still currently in print have turned to shit. Old out of print IPs may be impossible to get the rights to.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom