Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Why AP is FAIL: 2 reasons

sheek

Arbiter
1/ The new official trailer video. Starts with JB sneaking around beating dudes up. "You will have to use more than guns"... [15 seconds of Jack Bauer blowing shit up], "It will take more than Force [10 seconds of Jack Bauer doing crazy kung-fu] "It will take more than Technology" [a silly attempt to show computer hacking, then blowing shit up with a high-tech rocket launcher]. "YOUR WEAPON IS CHOICE"

2/ New gameplay interview on dialog: Obsidian guy: "Well you've got the three stances: Jack Bauer, James Bond and Jason Bourne". Woman [after marvelling @ 'crazy dialog trees'] asks "So how long does it take to write, like, all that dialog?" "Loads of time. Chris Avellone has been writing a ton of dialog. Because we are giving you all these choices he's basically gonna have to write the dialog 3x over".

This is the dumbest game I've ever seen the Codex get excited about.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I wasn't aware the Codex was excited about this. Even Oblivion had some people looking forward to it. Pessimism is the best stance in this regard; always.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Alpha Protocol just sucks.

It looks ugly.

It has terrible voicing.

Its gameplay has seemed nothing but shallow.

Even the CoD4 coolness factor is missing.

Jaime Lannister

Arbiter
David_Gaider2.jpg

No.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Jasede said:
I wasn't aware the Codex was excited about this. Even Oblivion had some people looking forward to it. Pessimism is the best stance in this regard; always.

Then you've missed all those topics with Obsidian fantards bawwwing about how it is early to judge the game yet and how Obsidian never ever made a bad game and how minigames are better (because they add more gameplay time yay) than silly stat checks and how shooting part looks incredibly fun - mostly from the new crowd.

Haha I remember some retard even said that one word descriptions are better than text dialogue options because it eliminates asking of the same questions - like you fucking can't replace retarded descriptions with real text and get the exactly same result. Of course you will have to read that text then and it is a problem.

janjetina

Arcane
Patron
Torment: Tides of Numenera
Alpha protocol will have:
- retarded dialogue system
- twitch action combat
- simplistic ass effect style moron friendly character system
- shitty minigames
- console interface

It is a spiritual successor to Ass Effect and Fuckout 3.

The writing would have to be at Planescape: Torment level for this game to break into "decent RPG" category.

janjetina said:
Alpha protocol will have:
- retarded dialogue system
- twitch action combat
- simplistic ass effect style moron friendly character system
- shitty minigames
- console interface

It is a spiritual successor to Ass Effect and Fuckout 3.

The writing would have to be at Planescape: Torment level for this game to break into "decent RPG" category.

These summaries seem to be missing something.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
skyway said:
Then you've missed all those topics with Obsidian fantards bawwwing about how it is early to judge the game yet and how Obsidian never ever made a bad game and how minigames are better (because they add more gameplay time yay) than silly stat checks and how shooting part looks incredibly fun - mostly from the new crowd.

I think I've missed this too, and I've been reading all the AP related threads at the codex quite carefully. Are you sure you didn't mix up the obsidian forums and the codex?

Longshanks

Augur
1. Agree that the trailer sucks. But, feel you may be overstating its importance.

2. Not sure what you're getting at here. Is it that 3 alternate dialogues is not enough? That it seems superficial? That the interviewer is stupid?

Different trees for each stance in all conversations, if that is what they were to deliver, would provide more variation of dialogue based on choice, than most RPGs. Of course, more choice is expected within each stance. Not suggesting dialogue and the level of choice will be brilliant, or even that each tree will be written three times, just do not see how the comments quoted make the game an auto-fail in this aspect.

Surprised you went with those two points. There are many more solid reasons for concern, even outright condemnation depending on your gaming preferences.

sheek said:
This is the dumbest game I've ever seen the Codex get excited about.
Excited? Not noticed much of this.

Skyway said:
early to judge the game yet
Too early to judge = excited anticipation on planet Skyway? Makes sense I guess, when the default reaction is, shitty game will suck shit.

heh a funny mental image of the retarded speculations of the Codex about Dues Ex just came to me...

OMG JC TALKS DULL AND EMOTIONLESS AND HE'S LIKE A MACHINE SO THAT MAKES ALL THE VOICES OF ALL THE CHARACTERS SHIT BY DEFAULT (no)

OMG THIS IS AN RPG?! IT HAS NO C&C AT ALL (no)

All this from a couple of minutes of a public representation on an early build...

Fast forward to 2009 and the codex is still jizzing their pants over Dues Ex.

I can see why Volourn likes to laugh at you people

R00fles!

Oh and I am Obsidian fan boy... sort of... but I can still admit that AP is less than perfect while laughing at the retarded codex mentality. Volourn and Cloaked figure are geniuses in comparison to others.

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
Cloaked Nigger said:
I wish it was AP that got shitcanned and not Aliens RPG.
Alright you've said this a lot and it's finally irritated me enough to make me respond. Obsidian has released ZERO information on Aliens RPG and yet you seem determined to believe it has qualities that put it above Alpha Protocol. For all we know ARPG could be even more dumbed down than AP. We simply have no way of knowing. So I believe now is a good time for you to pull your head out of your ass and wait for some real information to emerge (if it ever does) before making statements like that.

Dicksmoker said:
Cloaked Nigger said:
I wish it was AP that got shitcanned and not Aliens RPG.
Alright you've said this a lot and it's finally irritated me enough to make me respond. Obsidian has released ZERO information on Aliens RPG and yet you seem determined to believe it has qualities that put it above Alpha Protocol. For all we know ARPG could be even more dumbed down than AP. We simply have no way of knowing. So I believe now is a good time for you to pull your head out of your ass and wait for some real information to emerge (if it ever does) before making statements like that.

It's Aliens

It's an RPG

The screenshots of the art in progress looks like it came Ridley himself.

Enough reason to get excited for me.

Believe it or not, the difference between a shallow game that doesn't have a learning curve, and a deep, complex game with a 100 page tutorial is pretty unimportant to most people as long as it's good, fun and atmospheric overall. And if you care for intelligent hobbies you might want to look somewhere else that doesn't involve games.

oh yeah and Alien was the first Obsidian FPS. AP was the second. Alien probably failed on the buggy and gameplay front, while AP had the benefit of experience.

Jaime Lannister

Arbiter
skyway said:

I'm an Obsidian fantard and AP looks like shit. So who else are you talking about?

MetalCraze

Arcane
Spectacle said:
skyway said:

I think I've missed this too, and I've been reading all the AP related threads at the codex quite carefully. Are you sure you didn't mix up the obsidian forums and the codex?

Check a few recent AP threads/newsposts for example.

Jaime Lannister said:
I'm an Obsidian fantard and AP looks like shit. So who else are you talking about?

As I've said - mostly the new crowd (members from 2nd half of 2008) - though I'm sure a few older members were positive about AP too.

But I must say now - this thread warms my heart and I was wrong about the Codex a bit though when some retard posts how fun lockpicking minigame in Oblivion was (and he isn't even trolling) ...

janjetina said:

From a bits of dialogue that they showed recently + that scans from some magazine where there was a whole dialogue with a secondary character (where Thorthon was picking up a chick) - it appears that writing is bad too. Not retarded bad like in Bethesda games - but just bland and feels like filler.
"Whatcha gonna do? Kill me? That won't bring your missiles back" lol

Something tells me this game will tank bad. And I hope it will.
It also will tank for a simple reason - you either make a good game and make money or you make a graphically advanced game and make money - and even consoletards with their outdated technology think that AP looks like shit visually.
Obsidian deserves it anyway - for trying to flirt with the console market and for releasing a bad amateur mod as an expansion.

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
M_I_C_K_E_Y_M_O_U_S_E said:
It's Aliens

It's an RPG

The screenshots of the art in progress looks like it came Ridley himself.

Enough reason to get excited for me.
Kinda reminds me of people saying that Fallout 3 from Bethesda will be good because IT'S FALLOUT for fuck's sake.

Believe it or not, the difference between a shallow game that doesn't have a learning curve, and a deep, complex game with a 100 page tutorial is pretty unimportant to most people as long as it's good, fun and atmospheric overall.
And what does this have to do with my post?

And if you care for intelligent hobbies you might want to look somewhere else that doesn't involve games.
I won't even bother trying to facepalm this.

Cloaked Figure said:
Don't be a fucking idiot. It takes one look at the information for both games to determine which one would have turned out better.
What information?

An RPG about an interesting universe, or an RPG about a shitty Matt Damon agent faggot with shitty dialog system, fucked up mechanics, basically a shitty ME rip off. Fuckin pathetic, I used to get kind of angry when people called Obsidian Bioware-lite, but I can see now what they meant.
OK, so despite your "one look," you now describe things that can only be gleaned from a multitude of previews. Are you trying to distract me? Let's put the information on Alpha Protocol on the same level as Aliens. We would have this:

Alpha Protocol, a spy rpg

OMG like Deus ex? That would be AWESOME.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Ah yes - now I remembered - "Alpha Protocol looks like Deus Ex!" from some Codex members sounded incredibly retarded too.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Actually, why even bother rationalizing?

Alpha Protocol LOOKS boring. It's impossible to even get any good vibes from watching the vids of the game. It just looks so dull. Swinging on a rope in a Middle Eastern area, dealing with a Chinese official at gunpoint - none of those things seem remotely interesting.

Everything I see of Protocol, I just feel, "God, how incredibly dull."

elander_

Arbiter
AP main character has an horrible haircut. Something tells me this game will tank bad. And I hope it will.

"Everything I see of Protocol, I just feel, "God, how incredibly dull.""

Maybe, but judging a game already when you have so little info is just bitching for the sake of bitching.

In particular saying the dialog is bland after seeing only three dialog lines is pretty retard.

AlaCarcuss

Arbiter
I think we're just going to have to accept that the 'old-days' are gone forever. There will never be any more games like the FO's, PST, Arcarnum etc. Not from mainstream developers anyway. It's a different world now. Every man and his dog plays video games - not just the hardcore nerds anymore. Gamming is rapidly becoming the no. 1 entertainment medium (revenue wise), overtaking movies, TV and music.

As such, all the big players try to cater for the lowest common denominator, which inevitably means dumbing down. It's just business, nothing we can do about it except voice our concerns (aka bitch an complain). Ha, wouldn't be the codex otherwise lol. Unfortunately, we are now a part of a very small minority - lets just hope the independants are listening at least?

skyway said:
... and even consoletards with their outdated technology think that AP looks like shit visually.
Obsidian deserves it ...

Heh, outdated maybe, but I'm currently playing through Resident Evil 5 on my 360 atm and I have to say - I have a fairly high-end gaming PC and I sure havn't seen too many games that look as good as this fucking thing on my PC lately.....

MetalCraze

Arcane
elander_ said:
Maybe, but judging a game already when you have so little info is just bitching for the sake of bitching.

In particular saying the dialog is bland after seeing only three dialog lines is pretty retard.

Indeed - I can only recommend that elander_ to actually try to dig more fucking info on AP so he won't post that only three dialog lines were shown.

AlaCarcuss said:
Heh, outdated maybe, but I'm currently playing through Resident Evil 5 on my 360 atm and I have to say - I have a fairly high-end gaming PC and I sure havn't seen too many games that look as good as this fucking thing on my PC lately.....

I didn't see RE5 so I can comment - but design can easily help any visually/technically outdated game. Blizzard games are another proof. VtmB which still looks good is another proof. Alpha Protocol just looks bland - full of locations that was seen over and over again in games.

elander_

Arbiter
skyway said:
Indeed - I can only recommend that elander_ to actually try to dig more fucking info on AP so he won't post that only three dialog lines were shown.

I did. There's not much more to see.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom