Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Why is Gothic 2 considered much better than Risen?

Discussion in 'Piranha Bytes' started by Arryosha, Feb 22, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Jvegi Arcane

Jvegi
    I never had issues with later chapters of Gothics. I think they provide a refreshing change of pace. The final dungeon in Gothic 1 is awesome. The one at the end of G2 much less so, but it's short and far from painful.

Can't compare to Risen. Never got to deep into it. I should though.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  2. Dedicated_Dark Arbiter

Dedicated_Dark
    Gameplay aside. I wanted to jump off a building due to how bad the writing is in Risen3. It's a fckn travstey, it's genuinly terrible. If you ignore Risen3, then Risen1 is a decent game that got a small expansion pack called Risen2 and ends decently enough. I rather it be that than ever acknowledge the existance of Risen3.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • decline decline x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. HoboForEternity sunset tequila Patron

HoboForEternity
    Truth. Elex factions are better than risen

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. S0rcererV1ct0r Cipher

S0rcererV1ct0r
    Risen 1 is Gothic 2 without all epic spells and weapons that we love, without the same exploration and quest design. Risen 1 is a good game but is the same thing of G2 but worse

• Same 3 factions. Don = Onar farm, Inquisitor = Paladins and Magicians are fire worshipers in both games
    • Same circle based magic but with "seals" and there are far less spells to learn, no spell like army of darkness. You can only have one summon
    • Same attributes
    • Same athmosphere

• Disagree Disagree x 3
    ^ Top  
  5. JarlFrank I like Thief THIS much Patron

JarlFrank
    There is no Gothic 4

Only Arcania

• Agree x 3
    • Brofist x 2
    • Funny x 1
    • STOP! posting x 1
    • [citation needed] x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Serious_Business Best Poster on the Codex

Serious_Business
    These posts from new members that question Codex culture are cute, they force us to go back to our previous judgements that perhaps generated questionable evidences that become dogmatic in the group, but in the end they tend to be quite tedious, they just show the unwillingness of the new member to observe and learn the culture they are trying to insert themselves in. I suppose the tactic of this thread is less predictable and obnoxious than some asshole barging in and screaming that X classic game is shit, thinking that they're unraveling some hidden ugly truth, but it is still annoying to be asked how to judge a subject. There isn't going to be a guideline for this shit, and you can make up your own opinion as you go along, but don't step in willingly in ignorance, even if you think that shows openness - make your research or some shit ; it's obvious that G2 with the expansion is a much more finely tuned and rich experience than Risen, no one ever even argued this before and you already know that you're not figuring out anything new

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • STOP! posting STOP! posting x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. typical user Savant

typical user
    Maybe they are Polygon fuckwits who try to gather material for another of their stupid articles.

^ Top  
  8. Arryosha Literate

Arryosha
    Actually, I wrote the post because every argument I had encountered for thinking the one is much better than the other seemed weak. I was hoping to provoke some interesting discussion by explaining why I thought so, which is what I figured the forum is for, and which is what seemed to me to happen. Why would you want to shut that discussion or a new member down? Because it annoys you? Lol! Talk about sensitive!

^ Top  
  9. anvi Cipher Village Idiot

anvi
    And in the start, and middle.

• retadred retadred x 4
    • Edgy Edgy x 2
    ^ Top  
  10. Crichton Prophet

Crichton
    There's a general problem with the 2nd half of the main quest but I think the real nasty taste in people's mouth comes from the mandatory final equipment set and final battle with the DDR elements from falling tiles and whatnot. I never completed the final battle; I just watched the ending cutscene on youtube. I'm not a huge fan of G2's final battle but at least your character got to stay in his faction armor and fight as he was accustomed.

^ Top  
  11. DalekFlay Arcane Patron

DalekFlay
    A Gothic 2 replay is high on my to-do list. It's been like 10 years, whenever it first came out on GOG. I liked Risen a lot, but I do have fonder memories of Gothic 2. Who knows how much of that is history bias.

Gothic 3 is the one I'm really interested to compare things to. I was one of the many who played that for 10ish hours at launch and bounced off of it hard due to bugs. It kept having memory errors and crashing, among other things. Playing that again with the fan patch is also high on my list.

^ Top  
  12. JDR13 Prophet

JDR13
    Gothic 2 has aged really well imo. I always have the first 2 Gothics installed, and I'll boot them up once in awhile just to run around the game world and listen to those incredible soundtracks. Gothic 1 still looks great with just a basic texture pack installed.

I'm not as enthusiastic about Gothic 3. Even with the fan patch, it doesn't feel like a complete game a lot of the time.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Sykar Arcane

Sykar
    Because it is.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Zboj Lamignat Arcane

Zboj Lamignat
    I never played Gothic 3, but other than that I enjoyed all PB games overall, although in case of Risen 2 and Elex it was what I would call a "close call".

I don't think G2 is MUCH better than Risen 1, but it is better. Risen 1 has definitely the best UI and controls in all PB games, by quite a distance and that actually means a lot to me.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Quillon Magister

Quillon
    If Risen and Gothic are comparable, Gothic must be a shit game.

Show Spoiler
    just like Elex :troll:

• Participation Award Participation Award x 1
    • not sure if serious not sure if serious x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. janior Self-Ejected

Self-Ejected
    Risen is boring uninspired garbage compared to Gothic 2.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. adddeed Liturgist Possibly Retarded

adddeed
    Risen > Elex > Gothic 2 > Risen 2 > Gothic 1 > Risen 3 > Gothic 3

• not sure if serious not sure if serious x 2
    • retadred retadred x 2
    • WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 1
    • Shit Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. JarlFrank I like Thief THIS much Patron

JarlFrank
    Gothic 2 > Gothic > ELEX!! > Risen > Gothic 3 > Risen 2 > Risen 3

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • decline decline x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Bigg Boss Arcane

Bigg Boss
    I haven't played any of them.

• FAKE NEWS FAKE NEWS x 1
    • :( :( x 1
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Peachcurl Educated

Peachcurl
    I know there's reasons not to mention them at all, but still...

all of them > Arcania > Forsaken Gods

• Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. S0rcererV1ct0r Cipher

S0rcererV1ct0r
    And the remake. I hated everything about it
    • I hated the high level of handholding
    • I hated that "hur dur consequenceless explosions" in the trade zone that nobody cares
    • I hated the slow unimmersive combat completely dissociated from the game world
    • I hated that potions insta transfer to your belly without a drinking animation
    • I hated the dialog wheels
    • I hated the graphics and most important the post processing and armor design
    • I hated the consolized UI
    • I hated the invisible walls
    • (...)
    • I hated the game so much that rage quieted after the first battle. A singlw Wolf who can tear a lv 0 guy apart on any Gothic game taking so long to kill me and being bullet spongees
    All gothic games(G1/G2/G3) are on the top RPG of all time from RPG codex https://rpgcodex.net/article.php?id=11193

^ Top  
  22. Joni Odin von Hassenstein Arcane Patron

Joni Odin von Hassenstein
    Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    It has already been said, but it's the atmosphere, the story and the world that make Gothic 2 distinctly better than Risen.

I felt like Risen 3 was way less generic than Risen 1 and 2.
    Overall, Risen 1 might still be the better gaem overall, but when it comes to the feel of it, Risen 3 was the one Risen that at least tried to emulate the atmosphere of the Gothic series, and quite successfully so I think (in some areas that is, Calador for example).

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    ^ Top  
  23. JDR13 Prophet

JDR13
    Then you would probably be in a small minority.

• Despair Despair x 1
    • Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Elex Arbiter

Elex
    risen 3 is better than risen 2.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • meh meh x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.