Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Why Owlcat's Kingmaker Sucks, in Plain Language

LannTheStupid

Товарищ
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Yeah especially the part where that Brienne of Tarth ripoff was being referred to as "blonde blue-eyed engine of destruction carrying helpless guardsmen out of the fire"
icon_rolleyes.gif
You haven't finished Valerie personal quest, have you?

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
At least for 2 heroines Owlcat masterfully subverted SJW tropes. Which is good.

Yeah especially the part where that Brienne of Tarth ripoff was being referred to as "blonde blue-eyed engine of destruction carrying helpless guardsmen out of the fire"
icon_rolleyes.gif

Yes, that's the setup. If you only make it through five minutes of a game you'll probably be in a poor position to pass judgment on it.

Desiderius

Patron
Okbo's back!

You do know that Schicklgruber dolchstossed Röhm and your boys once he didn't need them anymore, right?

Desiderius

Patron
Schicklgruber dolchstossed Röhm
Comparing to what Сталин did to Каменев, Рыков, Зиновьев and Бухарин those nazis are just children. Only the far left can make real revolutions!

Jeez, my Cyrillic ain't what it used to be, that's for sure. Whatever, it's not rocket science to shoot helpless people. Or knife, arrow, whatever.

Dude had good hair, tho.

OIP.JfwaLa9JfQPwndJSbVFFhwHaKD

LannTheStupid

Товарищ
Patron
it's not rocket science to shoot helpless people
It is rocket science to make the chief of staff of the victorious Red Army and the chief of propaganda helpless. The same rocket science as to make helpless the leader of the main paramilitary force as it was with Röhm.

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
This is what google tells me:
>The Cyrillic script (/sɪˈrɪlɪk/) is a writing system used for various languages across Eurasia and is used as the national script in various Slavic-, Turkic- and Iranic-speaking countries in Eastern Europe, the Caucasus, Central Asia, and Northern Asia

Lawntoilet

Prophet
Patron
At least for 2 heroines Owlcat masterfully subverted SJW tropes. Which is good.

icon_rolleyes.gif
That's just how Linzi talks in general.

Amiri fucks up every task she's given because she can't swallow her pride about being "stronk wymyn" for 5 seconds. Reg and Octavia's relationship is not portrayed as normal or healthy.

Also Valerie is not a Brienne ripoff off, a big part of Brienne's character is that she is unfuckably ugly (which Val thinks she wants until she gets cursed to lose her looks and gets all butthurt about it).

Desiderius

Patron
This is what google tells me:
>The Cyrillic script (/sɪˈrɪlɪk/) is a writing system used for various languages across Eurasia and is used as the national script in various Slavic-, Turkic- and Iranic-speaking countries in Eastern Europe, the Caucasus, Central Asia, and Northern Asia

I.e. the USSR. The language Lann used in his reply for Stalin's name (and that of some notable victims). Founder of Google also a Russkie and now Google acts likes Commies. I think that's pretty much all of the joke that I can recall. Impressive to miss all the entendres.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
100 hours in I think my issue with the timer boils down to it making the game feel too linear. I'm in a period now between chapters where I seemingly have 200 days to kill, and thus it's time to endless kingdom management and upgrades until the bald hilltop is ready for me again. There's literally nothing else to do, every location is completed and every quest of any worth is done. Before this the game pushed me right from the undead king guy into the barbarian drama without letting me have much of a break at all between them. It just makes the game feel like you have to do what they say when they say it. It's not that it's hard to play at all, and I get the motivation behind it, but it just makes the game feel like a laid out track you have to follow. The longer I play, I admit the more I dislike it. Not enough to ruin the incline, but I think it is overall a poor design decision.

Xamenos

Magister
Patron
It just makes the game feel like you have to do what they say when they say it.
I really don't understand what your problem is. And this makes you sound like a spoiled child. Is what you want Fallout 4's freedom to ignore your kidnapped son and farm hundreds of inconsequential side quests?

Gregz

Arcane
I really, really tried to like this game. Really, really tried to give it a chance. Finally, after 72 hours of "what the ♥♥♥♥?" and "are you ♥♥♥♥ing kidding me?" I will write a review.
I'll keep this short since many other reviews detail the many specific shortcomings of the game. To summarize: the design is awful. Horrible. Terrible. It's like playing tabletop DND with a DM who is a massive, gaping, prolapsed ♥♥♥♥. Difficulty checks are absurdly high, encounters and locations are not planned appropriately, kingdom is constantly overwhelmed, "choices" and their consequences are completely opaque until too late, quests are broken.....et cetera ad infinitum. This game has all the potential to be the next Baldur's Gate or Icewind Dale; it is literally stunning that these issues have not been fixed after all the negative feedback for the same issues.

Desiderius

Patron
C'mon Gregz, they've got your Zen Archer in WotR. I'm playing it in the Rogue-like dungeon using Call of the Wild mod and it's lighting everything up.

If you need some help, just ask!

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
I really, really tried to like this game. Really, really tried to give it a chance. Finally, after 72 hours of "what the ♥♥♥♥?" and "are you ♥♥♥♥ing kidding me?" I will write a review.
I'll keep this short since many other reviews detail the many specific shortcomings of the game. To summarize: the design is awful. Horrible. Terrible. It's like playing tabletop DND with a DM who is a massive, gaping, prolapsed ♥♥♥♥. Difficulty checks are absurdly high, encounters and locations are not planned appropriately, kingdom is constantly overwhelmed, "choices" and their consequences are completely opaque until too late, quests are broken.....et cetera ad infinitum. This game has all the potential to be the next Baldur's Gate or Icewind Dale; it is literally stunning that these issues have not been fixed after all the negative feedback for the same issues.
Again, all I read is "the game is too hard on normal difficulty but I feel too insecure about myself to switch to easy".

Last edited:

LannTheStupid

Товарищ
Patron
"Insecure" and "entitled" are two buzzwords that I fail to understand in Westerner's discussions. Probably Westerners think they mean something, and may be something bad.

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
The problem with these steam reviews is that they don't go into depth as to why. For example:
>the design is awful.
>checks are absurdly high
>encounters and locations are not planned appropriately
>constantly overwhelmed
>"choices" and their consequences are completely opaque until too late
>quests are broken
>issues have not been fixed after all the negative feedback for the same issues.

What does any of the above even mean in the context of Kingmaker? You could copy those very same complaints, and paste them for any other RPG and it would read the exact same. These complaints are just so generalized and lack any real depth. The only point that has anything to do with Kingmaker was the mention of kingdom management. The low effort steam reviews are not worth the effort of pasting here. But Gregz is on a mission. I respect his dedication. I would have burned myself out on page 1, and went back to playing Pathfinder.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom