Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Why the fuck is Witcher 3 #15 on the Codex top 101?

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
But that's simply not true, gamedevs have always been obsessed with unending expansion and never content with the profit their games make.
Bioware could have kept on making "Bioware-style" games forever, something that is an obvious hole in the current market. But they didn't, because they wanted the mythical nonexistent "wider audience".
And look where it got most of them. Bought up by bigger companies, run into the ground and then cleaned out.

How's Maxis doing these days? Eidos? About the only ones sitting pretty are Bethesda, but they had Zenimax money from day one.

Todd Howard really had it made. The right place, the right time, the right autistic eleven-year-old audience to milk in perpetuity. Everyone else shafted themselves with greed, but they probably got a fat ton of cash along the way, so there's that.

Not really sure how to apply this to CDProjekt though. They've forged their own path and crashed and burned all on their own with Cyberpunk. They went for a console audience almost from the start though. Their Witcher combat always sucked too, so nothing to really dumb down other than losing the sex cards.

Nikanuur

Arbiter
Patron
I'd say it's because Witcher 3, bad as it is in some regards, sports an unfathomable depiction of a world thought up by one of the greatest fantasy writers of the 20th century. Because ingenuity of its quests and the main narrative's branching outshines most games ever (Mass Effect nervously tippitytoes on its sci-fi throne).
I only wonder, if this should've rather gone to "Trigger Codex with a statement" thread.

Silverfish

Arbiter
Except they were in business for years and made millions off said audiences.

No, it's almost like they saw the opportunity to make tens of millions more and took it.

Well, yeah. If your options are "end up like Bethesda" or "end up like Black Isle", it's the rare bird who'd choose the latter.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
Well, yeah. If your options are "end up like Bethesda" or "end up like Black Isle", it's the rare bird who'd choose the latter.
Would that be the Black Isle whose last game was a console exclusive in 2004?

Again, Bethesda is an outlier among all the sellout studios of their day. Success and longevity. And all it took was a rich Jew's pocket book and a metric ton of lies.

Codex Year of the Donut
Pandering to your audience seems to have worked out a lot better than trying to widen your audience in the long run from the examples we can review.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Bloody Baron >>> the whole of Bladder's Gape 2, and yet the latter is higher on the list.

The Witcher 3 is highly flawed, has the shittiest combat of the series, and is a disgusting collectathon, yet it is still better than doing everyone's and their mother's chores in RTwP while dragging along a bunch of retarded kids. Granted this last description does fit most if not all of Bioware's games.

So, meh. The list is a compromise. It won't ever be what one individual likes, but that's kinda the whole point.

BruceVC

Magister
I'd say it's because Witcher 3, bad as it is in some regards, sports an unfathomable depiction of a world thought up by one of the greatest fantasy writers of the 20th century. Because ingenuity of its quests and the main narrative's branching outshines most games ever (Mass Effect nervously tippitytoes on its sci-fi throne).
I only wonder, if this should've rather gone to "Trigger Codex with a statement" thread.
Yes the quests are great in W3 , also what many people are forgetting who are critical of the Witcher series is that the games are fun and entertaining

Thats very important and a massive reason for good sales and a loyal fanbase, fun and entertainment :cool:

Robotigan

Learned
Good grief. The nigger puts in a stick of RAM, looks at some Todd Howard totally-not-scripting and suddenly he thinks he's a genius.

Congratulations on being a code monkey. I don't really give a shit though.
We get it. You're very smart. 5 whole years of experience. Good job.
My man, it's not lost on anyone that a dude well into his 30s/40s who still talks like this probably isn't too successful in life.

Robotigan

Learned
my #1 comment in code is probably "TODO: FIXME" and I almost exclusively work on embedded medical devices
My current job involves rebuilding a production application originally programmed by an intern. This is a client-visible reporting/monitoring service clients could use to validate us against our SLAs. Built by an intern. It's honestly a good perspective because the company I left and my first job out of college had excellent practices and coding standards. You don't appreciate good design until you've seen the other side.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
My man, it's not lost on anyone that a dude well into his 30s/40s who still talks like this probably isn't too successful in life.
My man, I make more money than a software engineer. And you're 27. In 3 years you'll pass 30.

But while you'll still be a whiny, illiterate midwit trying to defend his favorite video game and prove how smart he is online, I still won't give a shit. :M

Codex Year of the Donut
thought up by one of the greatest fantasy writers of the 20th century
The plagiarizing cuckold fetishist? Oh yeah, I like his prose. He's really good.

didnt know until recently that witcher is elric of melnibone

the level of copy paste is shameful. he couldve at least changed something
This is one of the letters to the editor Fantastyka published shortly after publishing Sapkowski's story in 1986:
Szanowna redakcjo! Opublikowane przez was opowiadanie “Wiedźmin” jest bezczelnym plagiatem baśni opracowanej przez Romana Zmorskiego pt. “Strzyga”, wydanej w roku 1852 w zbiorze “Podania i baśnie ludu polskiego”. Jedynie początek opowiadania został przez pana Sapkowskiego trochę zmieniony – reszta prawie dokładnie według tekstu Zmorskiego. Mam nadzieję, że nie pozostawicie tak tej sprawy.
for humans:
Dear editors! The story "The Witcher" published by you is a brazen plagiarism of a fairy tale compiled by Roman Zmorski entitled "The Witcher". "Strzyga", published in 1852 in the collection "Podania i baśnie ludzi polskiego" (Tales and tales of the Polish people). Only the beginning of the story has been slightly changed by Mr. Sapkowski - the rest almost exactly according to Zmorski's text. I hope you won't leave it that way.

The Elric thing becomes less innocuous once you're aware of this :M

blessedCoffee

c3RyYWl0amFja2V0cyBmb3IgaW50ZXJuZXQgdXNlcnM=
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
It did the bare minimum to be considered an "RPG" and was popular enough that more people were likely to play it and therefore vote on it.
It really didn't help that Shitout 4 was released the same year and made W3 look like Gothic II in comparison.
No surprise it was popular, there were lots of sex in it (even if you only count base game). Even tiny games like HuniePop were popular for its NSFW content...

You can't really put Gothic II and The Witcher III in the same sentence, they're different beasts. Unless you're discussing how both games suck, in the combat mechanics.

Shitout, you meant Fallout?
But Fallout 4 is a FPS, why would people throw Witcher III against it?

:popamole:

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
You can't really put Gothic II and The Witcher III in the same sentence, they're different beasts.
You can, as many open-world features added in Witcher 3 are bad copies of what Gothic did.

You even have in some areas high level guards who will easily give high level Geralt a beating if he's caught stealing, and they'll also grab some coin from his pockets like NPCs did in Gothics. Except in the Witcher it makes no fucking sense as Geralt should be able to best a simple guard when he's killed giant monsters just before. And btw that's the only instance of non-lethal combat in the game, aping Gothic yet again without any thought to systems design.

The inspiration is there, as it is in the previous Witchers, but it's a terrible copypasta job dumbed down for the masses.

Last edited:

Morroweird

Educated
This is one of the letters to the editor Fantastyka published shortly after publishing Sapkowski's story in 1986:
Szanowna redakcjo! Opublikowane przez was opowiadanie “Wiedźmin” jest bezczelnym plagiatem baśni opracowanej przez Romana Zmorskiego pt. “Strzyga”, wydanej w roku 1852 w zbiorze “Podania i baśnie ludu polskiego”. Jedynie początek opowiadania został przez pana Sapkowskiego trochę zmieniony – reszta prawie dokładnie według tekstu Zmorskiego. Mam nadzieję, że nie pozostawicie tak tej sprawy.
for humans:
Dear editors! The story "The Witcher" published by you is a brazen plagiarism of a fairy tale compiled by Roman Zmorski entitled "The Witcher". "Strzyga", published in 1852 in the collection "Podania i baśnie ludzi polskiego" (Tales and tales of the Polish people). Only the beginning of the story has been slightly changed by Mr. Sapkowski - the rest almost exactly according to Zmorski's text. I hope you won't leave it that way.

The Elric thing becomes less innocuous once you're aware of this :M

Haha, this is so great! :-D

"Otóż, trzeba wam wiedzieć, że nasz król (daj mu Bóg zdrowie i pociechę), królewiczem jeszcze będąc, pokochał się serdeczną miłością w rodzoniutkiej swojej siostrze. Dopóki ojciec, nieboszczyk stary król, żył, chowalić w największej skrytości swą miłość; aleć jak skoro po śmierci ojca król młody objął koronę, wyszło szydło z worka na jaw. - Biskupi, zwyczajnie królowi, dali się łatwo przemówić i poślubili grzeszny związek. Oj! bo że grzeszny przekonał się potem król biedny i świat wszystek."

for humans:

"So then, you need to know, that our king (may God give him health and consolation), when he was still a prince, fell in true love with his natural sister. As long as the father, the deceased old king, was alive, they kept their love in utmost secret. But when, after the death of the father, the young king took the crown, the secret was out. The bishops let themselves be swayed easily by the king and gave their blessings to the sinful union. Oh! that it was sinful the poor king and the whole world found out afterwards".

agris

Arcane
Patron
my #1 comment in code is probably "TODO: FIXME" and I almost exclusively work on embedded medical devices
My current job involves rebuilding a production application originally programmed by an intern. This is a client-visible reporting/monitoring service clients could use to validate us against our SLAs. Built by an intern. It's honestly a good perspective because the company I left and my first job out of college had excellent practices and coding standards. You don't appreciate good design until you've seen the other side.

I’ve lost the thread. Are we measuring dicks, or conflating equality of essence by demonstrated popularity of cRPGs at the end of the 90s - early 00s to those of the current day?

edit: to your credit, you sound like a very competent software technician. If my code needed a tuneup, you would probably do a good job!

blessedCoffee

c3RyYWl0amFja2V0cyBmb3IgaW50ZXJuZXQgdXNlcnM=
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
You can't really put Gothic II and The Witcher III in the same sentence, they're different beasts.
You can, as many open-world features added in Witcher 3 are bad copies of what Gothic did.

You even have in some areas high level guards who will easily give high level Geralt a beating if he's caught stealing, and they'll also grab some coin from his pockets like NPCs did in Gothics. Except in the Witcher it makes no fucking sense as Geralt should be able to best a simple guard when he's killed giant monsters just before.

The inspiration is there, as it is in the previous Witchers, but it's a terrible copypasta job dumbed down for the masses.
You're saying it is fair to make comparisons between theses titles, when one of them lazily copycat'd features of the other one?

I don't think there's much to be gained comparing these two, it's not like CD Projekt would learn from their mistakes and listen to us, while they're on the development of Witcher IV...

They'll put effort on what really matters, like size of cock for your custom character.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
You're saying it is fair to make comparisons between theses titles, when one of them lazily copycat'd features of the other one?
You do know things can be compared without being of the same exact quality? That's how you figure out that one is better than the other.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom