Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Why the hell aren't there more "space opera" / futuristic CRPGs?

Zlaja

Arcane
The real question is: why haven't we seen more AAA games with alien titties, in various colors?

Louis_Cypher

Arcane
I'll do a quick collated post of upcoming space CRPGs, for anyone who comes across this thread via search or Google, then hits the last page, so they can get a summary of the current state of 'space opera' science fiction in the genre. Ideal criteria: Alien worlds, exotic species, thousands of years of alien history, navigable starships, exploring the vast cosmos. This thread was created in 2018, in the midst of a dark age for science fiction. No decent space opera had been on television since 'Star Trek: Enterprise', 'Stargate SG-1', 'Stargate Atlantis' and 'Battlestar Galactica' had ended, the latter in 2009 a decade earlier. The last CRPG release had been 'Mass Effect: Andromeda'. Nothing was on the horizon. Since then, several ex-BioWare employees formed a new studio, Archetype Entertainment. A number of indie games have been announced. Iron Tower Studio has been working on 'Colony Ship'. Owlcat has begun work on a 'Warhammer 40,000' CRPG.

Ideal examples: My favorites, prior to 2018:

When this thread was created in 2018, only a few RPGs qualified as space opera, and fewer equalled the best TV sci-fi/literary sci-fi franchises in scope. Despite the Codex's criticism of BioWare, being a sci-fi fan, I loved 'Mass Effect' for it's world-building. A dozen fleshed out alien cultures, starship technical information, and a compelling galactic history. I am aware that games like 'Megatraveller', 'Star Control', 'Buck Rogers', 'Space Siege', and 'Planet's Edge' exist, but they were either before my time, or less interesting to me. Thus my favorites, ignoring older releases, were:

f0JlIul.png
HalMjp7.png
qV0SdvU.jpg
Rs7cr65.png
z4nyHN1.jpg
pVTwt4P.jpg

• Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic I
  • Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II - The Sith Lords
  • Mass Effect 1
  • Mass Effect 2
  • Mass Effect 3
  • Mass Effect: Andromeda
Those exemplify the kind of science fiction I would most like to see personally. I wish to see more games enter the pool of the genre. However in the interest of completeness, and because they are so rare, the list of upcoming games will just try to include anything coming soon, that seems close to 'living in a space-age civilization' as a subject matter. Including games set on a single ship, or managing a base. The border between planetary romance and space opera might be blurred, but games along the lines of 'Torment: Tides of Numenara', mainly planet-based wont be listed.

New or upcoming space opera CRPGs:

Precursors | by Deep Shadows | (2017)

ojh2AwD.png

Genre: First Person RPG

StarCrawlers | by Juggernaut Games | (2017)

IBiS6qW.jpg

Genre: Grid-Based Turn-Based First-Person Blobber Dungeon Crawler RPG

Star Traders: Frontiers | by Trese Brothers | (2018)

YGUtitr.png

Genre: Turn-Based Side-Facing RPG

Warhammer 40,000: Inquisitor - Martyr | by Neocore Games | (2018)

YaU9OFC.png

Genre: Isometric Action RPG

SpaceBourne | by Burak Dabak | (2018)

xLtDCTJ.jpg

Genre: Third-Person Space Sim / RPG Hybrid

Element Space | by Sixth Vowel | (2019)

C3VamKF.jpg

Genre: Turn Based Isometric RPG

Titan Outpost | by The Boar Studio | (2019)

vpm5wo5.png

Genre: Base Management / RPG Hybrid

Crying Suns | by Alt Shift | (2019)

vLXoy2c.png

Genre: Choose Your Own Adventure / RPG Hybrid

Jupiter Hell | by Chaos Forge | (2021)

IyCN8nc.png

Genre: Rogue-Like

The Protagonist: EX-1 | by 3Mind Games | (2021)

ko3vh5n.jpg

Genre: Turn-Based Isometric RPG

Warhammer 40,000: Chaos Gate - Daemonhunters | by Complex Games | (2022)

QHJ6fZi.jpg

Genre: Tactical / RPG Hybrid

Starfield | by Bethesda Game Studios | (2023)

Jm3rZtX.png

Genre: First-Person Space Sim / RPG Hybrid

Colony Ship: A Post-Earth Role Playing Game | by Iron Tower Studio | (TBA)

LixeoQC.png

Stellar Tactics | by Maverick Games | (TBA)

G39qI15.png

SpaceBourne 2 | by Burak Dabak | (TBA)

UUUEe9p.png

Genre: Third-Person Space Sim / RPG Hybrid

Hibernaculum | by Wormwood Studios | (TBA)

OgGQ60C.jpg

Genre: Grid-Based First-Person Dungeon Crawler RPG

Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader | by Owlcat Games | (TBA)

ZWZifcM.png

Menace | by Overhype Studios | (TBA)

btDVGqK.png

The Jovian System | by The Boar Studio | (TBA)

LkktvVq.png

Genre: Base Management / RPG Hybrid

[Untitled New IP] | by Archetype Entertainment | (TBA)

0XeaUvH.png

Genre: [Unknown]

[Untitled Traveller Game] | by [Unknown Developer] | (TBA)

GqUXBua.png

[Mass Effect 5] | by BioWare | (TBA)

SBNs6uG.png

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic Remake | by Saber Interactive | (TBA)

dR8sGl8.png

Overall, so far, I can't say that I have seen any indie game released that lives up to the potential of the genre in terms of worldbuilding. 'Crying Suns' was good, but isn't much of an RPG. 'Star Traders' and 'StarCrawlers' were not that imaginative. I haven't played 'Titan Outpost' or 'SpaceBourne', so can't judge those. The most professional looking, and the biggest IP by far, would be the addition of a 'Warhammer 40,000' RPG by Owlcat games to 'Star Wars' and 'Mass Effect'. 'Hibernaculum' and 'Menace' look promising on the more indy side. 'SpaceBourne' is a game that flew under the radar for many, a one-man effort, to create an open world - while the first was unpolished, 'SpaceBourne 2' looks promising according to the Codex.

Last edited:

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
You're missing so many oldschool space RPGs and RPG-lites, it's not even funny.

No Starflight, Planet's Edge, Star Control 2, Buck Rogers: Countdown to Doomsday, Buck Rogers: Matrix Cubed, Ironseed.

Missing a lot of 00s games too, like Space Rangers, Freelancer, The Precursors, Star Wolves.

Incomplete list, do better.

Louis_Cypher

Arcane
You're missing so many oldschool space RPGs and RPG-lites, it's not even funny.

No Starflight, Planet's Edge, Star Control 2, Buck Rogers: Countdown to Doomsday, Buck Rogers: Matrix Cubed, Ironseed.

Missing a lot of 00s games too, like Space Rangers, Freelancer, The Precursors, Star Wolves.

Incomplete list, do better.
Like I said, I'm not adding old stuff - the post is just listing upcoming releases, to inform people what is currently "in development". A lot of them have been mentioned earlier in the thread, so Googlers might come across references to them, if they read the previous posts. Thanks for mentioning them however, as that might send people off to look at them; I didn't know one or two you mentioned, like 'Star Wolves'.

Sorry if I mis-communicated the intent of the list. It happened with my Samurai and Ninja thread too, where people ignore the comprehensive list in the OP, and think the low-effort limited poll, with only a few games, is the actual list. I wasn't trying to list every space CRPG ever.

Last edited:

SpaceWizardz

Liturgist
Titan Outpost isn't space opera, you're just some methane farmer on one of Saturn's moons.

Louis_Cypher

Arcane
Titan Outpost isn't space opera, you're just some methane farmer on one of Saturn's moons.
I know, the upcoming games stretch the criteria a bit. Even 'Colony Ship' is probably not going to qualify based on this. You are, as far as we are aware, stuck on a single ship, no EVA or planetfall. Since space opera is so thin on the ground, it has however been one of the main games followed by this thread.

Nortar

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Damn, I totally forgot about that; adding.

You also forgot Element: Space linked just a couple of posts earlier.
Yes, it's not a very good game, but still it's more of a space opera than half of your entries.

Here's another one: "The Protagonist: EX-1" it's even shittier then E:S, but still it matches your theme criteria.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
There's also Deep sky derelicts which is a roguelite game that's practically a three man spacehulk run.

deama

Prophet
I donno about that list, a lot wouldn't apply as a space opera.
One of the requirements for a space opera is a high budget with somewhat high stakes, along with some nice choir music and that "deep space" ambience.

Only good rpg that I think captures this is mass effect.
The better choice I think though is freespace 2, but that isn't an rpg, though it captures the ambience and music well.

Louis_Cypher

Arcane
Exodus (Developer: Archetype Entertainment | Publisher: Wizards of the Coast) [Date: TBA]

Plot description from a press release, via Business Wire:

“EXODUS introduces an innovative new sci-fi world that forces players to face the consequences of their choices over time,” said James Ohlen, Co-Founder, Studio Head, and Executive Creative Director at Archetype Entertainment. “We introduce the player, as the Traveler, to an original sci-fi universe, a world created with an incredible level of detail in collaboration with award-winning sci-fi authors. The gameplay setting and story we created is built around the impact of Time Dilation, a concept I’ve been fascinated with since I was 12 years-old. We use Time Dilation as a catalyst impacting the choices you make in-game that sets in motion events affecting your relationships with your loved ones, and your entire civilization, for generations.”
In EXODUS, humanity has fled a dying Earth, finding a new home in a hostile galaxy – here, we are the underdogs fighting for survival. As The Traveler, you are humanity’s last hope. Your job is to steal alien weapons and technology from the most powerful beings in the universe, the Celestials – humanity’s greatest enemy. But there’s a catch – Time Dilation. As Travelers on interstellar missions, days for you are decades back home. The sacrifices you make to protect your loved ones create unpredictable consequences that change your world — reshaping the future. Returning home, you confront the consequences of your choices. In Exodus, the outcome of those choices manifests at a massive level, compounding over generations.

voUr4k4.png

I've been periodically updating this thread on-and-off for six years now. One of the most anticipated games on the upcoming list was the ex-BioWare employees at new studio 'Archetype Entertainment' doing a space opera RPG for D&D publisher 'Wizards of the Coast'. For KOTOR / Mass Effect enjoyers, this was a chance at a new space opera setting. Of course corporate involvement like 'WOTC' carries risks of DEI propaganda, ESG ratings, and woke NGO money forcing anti-male / anti-white / anti-straight ideologies on developers.

cavnxyF.png

A telling sign of their likely priorities, was 'WOTC' making Aragorn, an icon of English literature, from a book steeped in European heritage, a black man in 'Magic: The Gathering' in 2023 (as usual, like in every TV advert, he was mysteriously paired with a white woman). Everyone with even an ounce of nerd culture knows that to mess with Tolkien in any way, is sacriledge of the highest level possible, but they went ahead anyway. The treatment of Tolkien's Legendarium so disrespectfully, would have unthinkable just ten years ago. So, one cannot be excited for a big publisher game anymore, without considerable scepticism that it's going to be a $100 million platform for the agenda. Take everything below with that expectation in mind.

hDc2sdI.png

We now know that the game will be called "Exodus". The announcement of then-untitled "Exodus" was originally made in 2019, but didn't provide anything other than concept art, and the positive testimony of ex-BioWare people. With Drew Karpyshyn, of KOTOR and Mass Effect working on it, I was hoping for a successor to Mass Effect 1. Without me noticing, Archetype launched it's first "Exodus" trailer about a month ago. So much for tailored YouTube algorithms. Unfortunatly, "Exodus", is kinda giving me some mixed vibes, with a heavy focus on emotion and feelings. This could be a red herring, but the last thing science fiction needs is further abandonment of science concepts for *emotional story*.

Some design elements initially look a little generic, like the robot looks like every modern video game conception of a robot, i.e. jagged black monoliths, from Halo 4's Prometheans to Mass Effect: Andromeda's Remnant. In terms of representation, the trailer is also a stereotype of what DEI ideology pushes.

InU3pHi.png

It is pretty disappointing that 'WOTC' are involved, as it was the only real hope for a narrative space opera RPG on the scale of ME1. The trailer may be misleading, in that we create our own Traveller characters perhaps, and the diversity squad might be for marketing/PR. I hope it suprises me, that there is more to this. I think we are all 10-years past sick of the agenda, at this point, but again, in terms of the one historical group of people who wrote most science fiction, and paid for it's existence as a genre for 100 years; conspicuous absense.

I won't be posting updates on this, unless anything really looks promising about it.

Last edited:

OttoQuitmarck

Educated
I think the reason there aren't more space opera crpgs is just that the people who want space opera settings are more interested in space flight sims or space flight sim rpgs. Or star wars slop.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom