Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Why was mondblut banned?

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
Or what, you'd get off your lazy ass and devote some of your time to posting news items and fixing the back end when things break instead of shit-posting?

I would, actually. You seem to be under the mistaken impression that the people who criticize you here are somehow against the Codex or only want the freedom to say bad words. I can't speak for the others but I am confident we all want the best possible site we can make.
That's great! Infinitron will set you up with news posting access. We'll see how you go from there.

What's your coding experience?

You know, I was thinking "Hey finally he's giving serious answers" but I guess it's all a big joke to you... Until it suddenly isn't.

I will readily admit that I have not been courteous towards you in the past but in this case I have tried my utmost to be serious, because its a serious issue.

With you however, as Fanta said, it's all fun and games one second and then woe is me the next.

Codex Year of the Donut
Or what, you'd get off your lazy ass and devote some of your time to posting news items and fixing the back end when things break instead of shit-posting?

I would, actually. You seem to be under the mistaken impression that the people who criticize you here are somehow against the Codex or only want the freedom to say bad words. I can't speak for the others but I am confident we all want the best possible site we can make.
That's great! Infinitron will set you up with news posting access. We'll see how you go from there.

I volunteer to be his co-admin. The new site will just be a single text page that gets updated when you email us your post.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy

I volunteer to be his co-admin. The new site will just be a single text page that gets updated when you email us your post.

You'd work with a German? Who are you and how did you get access to Rustys account?

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
You say there's some "easy" decision here but I've been looking for 20 years.
Article 8. Obtaining Mongolian nationality

1. A foreign national or a stateless person can obtain Mongolian nationality legally.
Article 9. Conditions for obtaining Mongolian nationality

1. The following conditions have to be met before obtaining Mongolian nationality:
    1. have a source of income or capability to live;
    2. have adequate knowledge of the culture, the official language and the Constitution of Mongolia and have permanently lived in Mongolia for more than five years upon the day before the application;
    3. have met additional conditions put forward by the authority for immigration and foreign nationals of Mongolia in accordance with the sub-clauses 1 and 2;
    4. have not intentionally committed a crime during the period of time stated in the sub-clause 2;
    5. do not pose a threat to Mongolian diplomatic relations with the home country of the person.
  2. Clause 1.1 of this article is irrelevant to underaged children and persons who are reinstating their Mongolian nationality under Article 14.
  3. A person who has accomplished an achievement of outstanding benefit to Mongolia or has a profession of significant importance to Mongolia, or has (or capable of) an exceptional accomplishment in a scientific field can obtain Mongolian nationality by the decree of the President. Clauses 1.1 and 1.2 of this article are irrelevant to persons described in this clause.

:hero:

Lambach

Arcane
You'd work with a German? Who are you and how did you get access to Rustys account?

It's probably an Australian cop trying to pin something on him or you. Or some fed glowiie from Kwa. They could've passed this law there as well while I wasn't looking.

Well, as nuts as Kwa is, they, unlike Australia, still haven't passed a law that allows a cop to log into your accounts on social media, post illegal shit like n!gger, claim you did that, and arrest you for it. So yeah, Kwa would be the better option, as tragic as that sounds.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

Accept it,only to be able to put this filthy kwan in its place......under the boot of an evero. Rusty will be seething like crazy lol. Show the glorious evro superiority to that peasant!

Twiglard

Poland Stronk
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Name a single member of the Codex moderation team who is a US citizen. User's that come to mind: Saint_Proverbius. Has anyone seen him lately? He was presumed dead for years. VaultDweller (Canadian but close enough). Take a look into our history to see what VD wanted to do to the userbase. Crispy. You want me to give the Codex to Crispy? Calis. Also presumed dead. Has also actively said he didn't want to run the forum side of things.

I've been here for 20 years. In that time, which is an eternity on the internet, how many other administrators have you seen who you'd like to take over from me? Name one. Infinitron?

Thank you for the clarification.

In case things the Australian law gets worse: the other option that I suggested was moving the site onto a darknet such as I2P. In which case, the real site's owner remains unknown to everyone but a few insiders, and the liability of the person hosting the reverse proxy (i.e. the entry point for the normies) is negligible. The resource cost for setting up another reverse proxy in a popamole fashion is similarly negligible. That person needs to be trusted not to sniff out users' passwords and private messages, but needn't deal with xenforo, the SQL database or any other complexities. It can be run on a VPS with barely any RAM or disk space.

In such a scenario the reverse proxy runs the main SSL certificate, while the real site can operate on a self-signed one.

I'm able to help with this, which doesn't involve establishing additional trust. Setting up a hidden service and a reverse proxy serving a blank web page is instructive enough. As to if, and when you replace it with real content is not my concern.

There's a fine contrast between an Australian, Canadian or European state launching a warrant in case of a Karen complaint, and having them conduct an international operation in search of the mastermind hosting a site where people of certain ethnic persuasion are called "vile, depraved subhuman filth". The latter case is typically reserved for pirate sites serving prerelease movies, darknet drug markets, ISIS sites and so on.

Kalarion

Serial Ratist
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Yes there is. It's called picking the most obvious target and firing a warning shot across its bow.

The target either realises, "hey I'm being fired at here. I should go in another direction if I don't want to be hit" or the target continues and enters combat - where it fights, at which point it either wins or loses on a more permanent basis.

Only truly obtuse morons would struggle to grasp the implications. Implications that have already, quite rightfully, been pointed out by everyone against this.

The fact we're sticking to just this one, tiny little word, is our way of acknowledging this. And saying, "we don't really want to go down this path. In fact, we'd like to avoid it. But unfortunately, some people here are forcing our hand".

It's not going to be a good idea to force our hand.

This is us saying: "Hey guys, it's been fun, but tone it the fuck down a notch would you?" In the exact same way that you might see a video of a certain type of individual assaulting someone on the street and think, "those types of people need to be given a bit of authority, so that they learn that's not how to behave".

We're doing the exact same thing, only to certain people here.

You just happen to disagree. Which is fine. But at the end of the day, this is our website, not yours.

I recognize that, at some point, it becomes difficult to treat everyone on the board as adults when we all, without exception, act like children sometimes (some more often then others). The tenor of your posts lately make me think you're getting deathly tired of trying to hold everything together, and you feel alone in your work. I sympathize. Maybe I'm misreading you, feel free to correct me.

I think one thing that would help members of good faith a lot would be telling us what you're trying to do at this point. I know it would help me at least. Would you tell us what your desired end state looks like given the environment you find yourself in? What's your goal regarding the Codex right now?

Is it preservation at all costs, slowly jettisoning your admin/moderating principles to keep the site alive? I don't mean that at all pejoratively. Think the captain of a ship under boarding action, slowly giving up bulkheads to keep it in the fight, hoping for a miracle or with some plan in mind. Perhaps you're thinking of shuttering the site or selling it? Trying to build money/support and put up a credible resistance to the pressure you're facing? I don't mean this as a multiple choice btw, just using examples. I think I speak for all of us when I say we want to know what you want from this mess.

I can tell you, unequivocally, that what you're doing now is not going to help no matter what. In the past (what little past I have with this site) you've always come across as capricious and cheerfully malicious, in the same way a well-loved cat will sometimes give you a walloping swipe that draws blood. I've always found it endearing and comfortable. More importantly you also come across as an unbudging, mule-headed cunt on the issue of Free Speech, which I have admired deeply. But right now you're coming across as scared shitless and unsure what to do. All of this stuff, the petty (in the sense of small, and temporary, not in the sense of nasty or malicious) bans, the REEra ban explanations, don't feel like the fun of playing with live grenades and laughing at the people who get blown up anymore. It feels like a death spiral.

I'm not sure I'm explaining myself well here. I guess what it comes down to is, the tone of the site - YOUR tone - has changed in a way that's making a lot of us uneasy. Remember when you yanked the reins away from VD over his bans and basically told him to fuck right off with that shit, people get to talk the way they want? It feels like that "you" is going away.

I want to address this because you've raised it a few times.

Name a single member of the Codex moderation team who is a US citizen. User's that come to mind: Saint_Proverbius. Has anyone seen him lately? He was presumed dead for years. VaultDweller (Canadian but close enough). Take a look into our history to see what VD wanted to do to the userbase. Crispy. You want me to give the Codex to Crispy? Calis. Also presumed dead. Has also actively said he didn't want to run the forum side of things.

I've been here for 20 years. In that time, which is an eternity on the internet, how many other administrators have you seen who you'd like to take over from me? Name one. Infinitron?

In that 20 years, how many coders and server technicians have you seen willing to step up and actually do something, physical things, that ensure this website remains online and functioning?

If you want help, I volunteer. I said it in the other thread, and I meant it. I'll get in harness. If the Codex needs money I'll give it, within my limited abilities. I have approximately zero coding experience to deal with back-end programming and database management, but if you'll be patient, I'm willing to put in the time to learn. In the meantime I'm fine doing scut-work (think of tasks you'd ideally want to automate but just never have the time to do it) and anything else on the site that requires time and effort but not necessarily comp sci expertise, such as news-posting, while I start teaching myself.

You know, I was thinking "Hey finally he's giving serious answers" but I guess it's all a big joke to you... Until it suddenly isn't.

I will readily admit that I have not been courteous towards you in the past but in this case I have tried my utmost to be serious, because its a serious issue.

With you however, as Fanta said, it's all fun and games one second and then woe is me the next.

I didn't take it that way. There's always snark where DU is concerned, but it sounded like he was genuinely telling you how you could help out.

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'm not sure I'm explaining myself well here. I guess what it comes down to is, the tone of the site - YOUR tone - has changed in a way that's making a lot of us uneasy. Remember when you yanked the reins away from VD over his bans and basically told him to fuck right off with that shit, people get to talk the way they want? It feels like that "you" is going away.
Exactly.

The fact that you are not changing the rules as written, but continue to hand out bans for "not knowing the unofficial rules" is really what is scary.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
It's fucking simple. Transfer the site's server and the domain name to a moderator or team member from the US, or form an LLC. You're not bound to the Australian law unless you specifically decide to. The job got slightly harder, but you're spending effort on the word filter that could be spent on actually solving the problem.
I want to address this because you've raised it a few times.

In that 20 years, how many coders and server technicians have you seen willing to step up and actually do something, physical things, that ensure this website remains online and functioning?

Is this one of those George Lucas situations?

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
I'm fully on board with you Kalarion regarding helping the site. I'm literally a no-life loser, time is not an issue for me.

That said the main issue isn't money or manpower at this point but legal security and information. Nobody here can help DU as long as we do not know the full picture.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
DarkUnderlord are you really going to let one of your underlings go against the official stance of the Australian government with hatespeech that will land you in emu gulag faster than the gamer word ever would?

If the Australian government was sincere in this belief, they'd hand over their power to these "elders" :M

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
I always pronounced it “mondblunt” lol, I might be retarded
I do the same thing. I could blame dyslexia, but it's probably that I just don't care what anyone's name is.
DU banned him for one week.
A small price for this site's sole Basketball American darkpatriot to be able to sleep at night.

I'm sure being banned for a week will teach mondblut not to hate. :M

well as the forum's (likely) only other basketball american I hereby issue the entire codex a coveted n-word pass. you're welcome.
Thanks for this. I went shopping today and used it several times. :M

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
He's laid out clearly, concisely, verbosely even, why he's forced to make some changes here. And we're talking about using a feature the site already has and has been used before: a word filter. It's not like he's instituting a permanent ban for anyone even hinting around about the n-word.
If that's really the case, why didn't he edit his post to remove the offending word? Seems like he had other priorities.
This is us saying: "Hey guys, it's been fun, but tone it the fuck down a notch would you?" In the exact same way that you might see a video of a certain type of individual assaulting someone on the street and think, "those types of people need to be given a bit of authority, so that they learn that's not how to behave".
I've seen a lot of that in the news lately, but usually it's the authorities themselves:

Cael

Arcane
If Australia starts fining or putting website managers into jail for allowing their users to use the word "kike", then sure, it's out, too. Same with any other word. Maybe even the word "forest" will be outlawed, who knows?

Remember, this isn't our (DU's) decision. We went on happily throwing around every word we could think of here on Codex for nearly twenty years.

Let that sink in for a moment, Ismaul.
Given how Australia is travelling at the moment, the k-word won't be banned until every other slur is first, and that includes the homosexual and tranny slurs. The left hates Jews far more than the right, after all.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
If Australia starts fining or putting website managers into jail for allowing their users to use the word "kike", then sure, it's out, too. Same with any other word. Maybe even the word "forest" will be outlawed, who knows?

Remember, this isn't our (DU's) decision. We went on happily throwing around every word we could think of here on Codex for nearly twenty years.

Given how Australia is travelling at the moment, the k-word won't be banned until every other slur is first, and that includes the homosexual and tranny slurs. The left hates Jews far more than the right, after all.

They use them as convenient excuses however. Wrongthink is Wrongthink and it stands to reason that anyone who says kike must also be a filthy subversive in other regards.

And its not like this place is particularly friendly towards tranners either.

If for some reason the government wants the site gone it's gone no matter what.

Skinwalker

*teleports between you*
Patron
Village Idiot
You're gaining valuable insight into the mind of an infantile narcissist, take notes.

WhAt's yOuR CoDiNg eXpErIeNcE, bTw? kekekekeke

It's such a rare thing for people to have nowadays that we can just assume this rhetorical question is the sickest of all burns. There's no way a random poster on an RPG forum could have any coding experience! Oh wait. For all we know, Fedorabot does software engineering for a living. Half the Codex probably does.

Cael

Arcane
DarkUnderlord are you really going to let one of your underlings go against the official stance of the Australian government with hatespeech that will land you in emu gulag faster than the gamer word ever would?

If the Australian government was sincere in this belief, they'd hand over their power to these "elders" :M
I would love to see that happening, as the stupid leftard whites would be the first against the wall.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
You're gaining valuable insight into the mind of an infantile narcissist, take notes.

What's your coding experience, btw? kekekekeke

It's such a rare thing for people to have nowadays that we can just assume this rhetorical question is the sickest burn. For all we know, Fedorabot does software engineering for a living. Half the Codex probably does.

Unless this places runs on an IBM AS/400 machine...

Cael

Arcane

They use them as convenient excuses however. Wrongthink is Wrongthink and it stands to reason that anyone who says kike must also be a filthy subversive in other regards.

And its not like this place is particularly friendly towards tranners either.

If for some reason the government wants the site gone it's gone no matter what.
We are on the same page on that one. However, I have fought this thing long enough to know that one person who has an audience of 10 is not going to win the war against the entire media establishment with an audience of millions of fucking retards (a.k.a., IQ100 humans) backed by the government. The Australian media, like the US ones, have discovered that they can be the (not so) hidden power behind the throne and they are the ones now dictating policy via chimpanzee screeching 24/7. Both sides of politics will follow or die. Australia is effectively ruled by the unelected ABC now.

Lambach

Arcane
Oh wait. For all we know, Fedorabot does software engineering for a living. Half the Codex probably does.

I spend about 50 hours a week doing that for money, I'm not particularly eager to spend even more time on it for free. That said, if it were absolutely necessary to keep this place as-is, I'd probably bite the bullet. Probably. +M

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
Name a single member of the Codex moderation team who is a US citizen.
What? How many times did I offer to moderate? I could even have made a new account so you wouldn't have it tied to my "rightwing bigot" persona and do all my posting from this one.

You treat it like there's no one to help, but I really doubt you need or want the help. Familiarity breeds contempt and I think that certain mods just wouldn't approve of someone like me, for example, helping in any capacity. So rather than accept help, you gatekeep, set high standards that only a couple of the mods even come close to meeting, and then just put Band-Aids on issues like this like the word filter.

Btw, did you ever look at incorporating anonymously via a registered agent in Delaware or Wyoming? That way you could retain control of the site, but it wouldn't be tied to you directly.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom