Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Witcher Witcher 1 remake from The Thaumaturge devs

1ttffsse

Literate
Can you still "collect them all" in the remake? That is the most important question.

Codex Year of the Donut
Original music could be given a bigger budget, richer instrumentation and some extra tunes
W1 OST is already excellent
More money and a bigger orchestra wouldn't improve it
In the original real instruments were often replaced by synthesizers, likely for budget reasons.

Preferring cheap electronics to real instruments bc of brainless nostalgia and/or Kodex Kredits is retarded.
"brainless nostalgia" = "preferring talented people using poor tools over untalented people using expensive tools"

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
What matters first and foremost is the harmony, not the tools used
Those synthesizers might be cheap in comparasion to richfag instruments you love wank so much about, but
Ok, stahp.

You're a musical idiot and you have no idea what you're talking about. All things being equal you always want real instruments over cheap synthesizers.
Hopefully you have enough brain cells to know what "all things being equal" means.

Wunderbar

Arcane
DeS remake soundtrack wasn't even "same music but with real instruments". Bluepoint changed the music from minimalistic and creepy to loud, bombastic and overly epic. Completely missed the point.

Like, you're poisoned, your armor is dissolving from corrosion, you are out of healing grass, you're standing knee-deep in filth, and you're fighting against a giant shit demon from Dogma. Why the hell the soundtrack sounds like something from Lord of the Rings? Why is there a chorus in the background singing some latin words? I'm fighting a golem made of excrements.

Last edited:
Codex Year of the Donut
Those synthesizers might be cheap in comparasion to richfag instruments you love wank so much about, but
Ok, stahp.

You're a musical idiot and you have no idea what you're talking about. All things being equal you always want real instruments over cheap synthesizers.
Hopefully you have enough brain cells to know what "all things being equal" means.
we get it, you think you're a good musician because you paid a lot of money for your instruments but in actuality you're still shit

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Ironically, they will screw up Geralt's face all over again; like CDProjekt did in Witcher 2 & 3.
I thought W2 face looked good - honestly imo it looked better than W1, Geralt gave the impression of a seasoned killer as opposed to an old polish peasent
W3 face has too much of pretty boy though...

but today it doesn't offer anything that compelling or unique any more. Neither as story and writing
Yet W1 writing is more compelling than W3 and it also uses the strengths of the medium in regards to storytelling far better than both W3 and CP2077
never played Dark Souls
Seriously?

Oh fuck off, there was nothing awesome about it. It wasn't even combat, just retarded QTEs.
Rythm combat != QTE's
The system was ok for an isometric, real-time cRPG of only 1 playable character
Neither good, nor bad. Just ok...

Last edited:

1ttffsse

Literate
Ok, stahp.

we get it, you think you're a good musician because you paid a lot of money for your instruments but in actuality you're still shit
To his credit he did say "all things being equal".....but a talentless hack job with real instruments is still a hack job.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
DeS remake soundtrack wasn't even "same music but with real instruments". Bluepoint changed the music from minimalistic and creepy to loud, bombastic and overly epic. Completely missed the point.
This.

Plus the Remake music is completely tone deaf, for example the butchered new version of the Astraea theme is miles away from the tone and intent of the original. This shit's got nothing to do with what I'm saying about real instruments and electronic imitations.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Witcher 1's combat mechanics are superior to Dark Souls now?

I have no stake in this, never played Dark Souls, but just curious.
Everything is superior to Dark Souls like combat.
If you are going to answer something as lazy as that, might not post at all.
Gotta pump that post count.
That's not how the "post count - reputation" relationship works on this forum :lol:

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
He's not wrong that rote memorization is terrible combat.
If you understand this, this means you may be getting too old for videogames :)

Seriously?
Absolutely. I have no patience to learn using the controller, and like Rusty says, I just don't find it fulfilling to master sequences of keypresses and memorize enemy animations so I can counter them on time.

Yet W1 writting is more compelling than W3 and it also uses the strengths of the medium in regards to storytelling far better than both W3 and CP2077
Come on.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Absolutely. I have no patience to learn using the controller, and like Rusty says, I just don't find it fulfilling to master sequences of keypresses and memorize enemy animations so I can counter them on time.
Controllers aren't arcane tech
Even a nutless monkey could learn how to use a controller in 5 minutes
And the memorization argurment outside of pre-Bloodbone From games (DeS, DS1 and DS2) is bullshit as those game are flexible enough in their Character Progression system and Equipment options to allow Builds that don't require any sort of serious muscle memory

Yet W1 writting is more compelling than W3 and it also uses the strengths of the medium in regards to storytelling far better than both W3 and CP2077
Come on.
It's the truth
There's alot of simplification of characters and plot in W3 to appeal to a wider audience that haven't played previous games
And choices in W3 don't tie gameplay and storytelling as well and smartly as W1 does

Last edited:

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
cult of w1 people who didnt play it for 15 years appears to be worse than similar one for bg1
I began my last playthrough in 2019, I think. Still haven't finished it. I'm in chapter 4. I can see why it was such a hit back then, but today it doesn't offer anything that compelling or unique any more. Neither as story and writing, nor as mechanics.
Your mother sucks dwarf cock!

I guess I'm going to be the first person in this thread to note that the developer Fool's Theory has mostly worked on isometric games until now (including co-development with Larian Studios). That might or might not be relevant to this remake.
they will make it isometric turn based!

Not turn-based, but I'm not sure how the devs could possibly have the budget to make a Witcher 3-like, especially since they're supposed to be working on another game for a different publisher at the same time: https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads...pg-from-seven-the-days-long-gone-devs.131067/

Who knows though?
What would be the point of simply remaking it as an isometric game -in the fancy pants UE5 no less- when the original already had both topdown and OTS/"third person" camera (with the latter being by far the more popular choice)? So it can sell to a fraction of the original's 1 million audience? Probably less than 3% of the TW3 audience? It's already fine as it is for those of us who enjoyed it. What could you expect an isometric remake to significantly do in terms of sales or popularity that the original failed to? How would it cater to the existing fanbase or benefit the series/IP? It would be perceived as a cheap little spinoff title and kill the potential of a witcher/geralt trilogy remake.

The budget comes from CDPR who years ago -for Rise of the White Wolf- was already paying some random french studio to remake TW1 in third person action combat format. And unlike the french studio or the kotor remake one there's no reason Fool's Theory should be making everything from scratch when CDPR is also working on a witcher game on the same engine at the same time and allegedly also worked on TW1 remake in TW3 internally for a bit. They should be providing/sharing tons of technology/assets/design for it.

Last edited:

BruceVC

Magister
I never played any Witcher games and actually started up W1 earlier this week to see what the hype is all about. I did the prologue thing, and so far my major impression is that the gameplay is shit. Cool intro cinematic though.

Codexers, tell me what to do? Do I keep playing or do I wait for the remake?
W1 is a good game, W2&3 are even better. I would finish it and then continue on your grand journey with the rest of the series. If you wait for this remake you will be denying yourself the overall Witcher experience which you dont want to do

As far as the remake is concerned it makes sense. Its definitely a good choice for a remake. If they drop the Romance card system thats fine then the Romance can be more interactive? Im just thinking of the hot Vampiresses :hug:

Glop_dweller

Prophet
W1 is a good game, W2&3 are even better.
Are they? (...better games, or just better graphics, or story depth?)
I lost interest in W2 sometime just after the Kraken fight; I stopped playing W3 before leaving the tutorial.
Another thing about W2 that was irksome, was that the new engine —forced— Geralt to enter and pass through any doorway he elected to open. Where opening the door at all, meant that he immediately marched through it. This was even once used as a trap; where it locked behind him, and he was then ambushed.

A smaller UE5 project before putting out the big W4/CP2099 would make sense to test out their processes/workflow with it, a lot of studios work that way. But this is being handled by an external studio. Whatever Fool's Theory learns and shares from the process with CDPR can't amount to much compared to having it developed in-house.
It reminds me a bit of the situation with InXile, and Krome Studios; the latter making a remaster of Bard's Tale, and outclassing the official BT4 sequel —IMO.

I thought W2 face looked good - honestly imo it looked better than W1...
But he didn't look like it could even be the same person.

Last edited:

BruceVC

Magister
I never got past the Kraken in witcher 2 because I kept failing the QTE. Looking back now, it appears to have been a bug where it's impossible to do the QTE if your FPS is too low :M
Thats so annoying, I didnt know about that bug

I remember the Kraken fight, it was tough and I ended up watching a gameplay video or reading a guide and you had to run to the left of the screen to wound it or something similar. I just remember it being unusual :lol:

Codex Year of the Donut
I never got past the Kraken in witcher 2 because I kept failing the QTE. Looking back now, it appears to have been a bug where it's impossible to do the QTE if your FPS is too low :M
Have you considered to retry it now that it is skippable?
I don't like the idea of a game purposely chopped up so that you're encouraged to play through it multiple times.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
There's surely no market for this? I mean, wtf.
Wut? This is as close to a slam dunk as you can get. Witcher 3 is widely regarded as one of the best PC games ever made, and this'll give everyone the opportunity to experience the game that started it all, sans jank, bad graphics and outdated sensibilities. I'd say it's a similar situation to the Demon's Souls remake.

Good trolling post there with "jank" and "outdated sensibilities". Had me going. :roll:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom