Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Witcher 2 is awful.

Max Damage

Savant
I only played first Witcher, and I can't imagine a worse combat system, it plays like 1 button rhythm game with an optional sign throw from time to time, NES games had more sophisticated combat than this.

"Bizarre" does not necessarily mean "bad". Witcher 1 combat is very unusual and people remember it for that reason. It took me a bit to get used to it, but once I did it was perfectly functional and had a nice flow.

Witcher 1 is the only Witcher game I finished. I've bounced off the second one about four times and never tried the third.

cretin

Arcane
Douchebag!
It's very lol that on an rpg forum we have people shitting on W1's crpg combat. That's literally what it is, single character CRPG combat where the stats of your character and the rolls are more important than the veneer of 3D action gameplay. FFS you can even play it in isometric if you really want to be reminded thats its a glorified NWN mod.

Wunderbar

Arcane
Nah, it wasn't consoles. The Xbox 360 port didn't get released untill Enhanced Edition version came out, a full year later.
The game was made first and foremost for the PC with graphical options they knew nobody at the time could run the game on. It took a full year for them to port the game xbox360 and they were not exactly shy about admitting that they had to downgrade it visually to make it run.
niggers, please.

https://www.pcgamer.com/the-witcher-2-e2809cdesigned-with-console-in-minde2809d/

Whilst never outright stating that The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings will be seeing a release on console, developers CD Projekt have said that the game has been “designed with console in mind”. Read on for the details.

Talking to IGN , CD Projekt RED's Jan Bartkowicz said: “You can play The Witcher 2 with joypad – it's implemented. The whole interface is designed with console in mind, in fact"

It's no secret that CD Projekt have been attempting to bring The Witcher to console for some time, their last attempt being The Rise of the White Wolf, which ceased development in 2009. The Witcher 2 could well be the projects replacement, with Bartkowicz confirming to IGN that they have had elements of the game running on console.

how can you look at this shit and say "it was designed for PC" with a straight face?

7H5w9bx.png

Zlaja

Arcane
how can you look at this shit and say "it was designed for PC" with a straight face?

I was responding to a claim that the game's environments (and every aspect of the game) was designed for consoles. I thought that was a stretch. I think they were simply too focused on delivering that whole "cinematic storytelling" thingy and the game being a new graphical benchmark (when it comes to character animations and tits), rather than focusing on creating a more sprawling game world.

Old Hans

Arcane
This thread made me install Witcher 2. I have to play it seven times to see how bad it is.
Just tried it.. what's with all cutscenes after cutscenes and QTE nonsense :/

QTEs were very popular at the time, they were dumping them by the truckoad into everything. Thank dick that fad is over.
and man oh man were those Witcher 2 qtes were bad. cd projekt sees ideas in other games, and think "that cool lets do that" but they don't seem to understand why it was cool in that game. Then they implement their really crappy version.

FriendlyMerchant

Witcher 2 better than witcher 3 in that it's a lot shorter and your time spent playing that shitty game to get to the end is much shorter.

Gerrard

Arcane

I was responding to a claim that the game's environments (and every aspect of the game) was designed for consoles. I thought that was a stretch. I think they were simply too focused on delivering that whole "cinematic storytelling" thingy and the game being a new graphical benchmark (when it comes to character animations and tits), rather than focusing on creating a more sprawling game world.
They were though. Why do you think you have those "loading zones" in between large game areas where you can't see ahead? If for some reason it cannot keep up with loading assets you get a loading screen.

Sjukob

Arcane
and you are literally insane if you're one of these "people" who say its better than witcher 3.
It's very simple, really. The main point of playing Witcher is storyfaggotry, Witcher's 2 storyfaggotry is better than Witcher 3 is with it's Ciri, wild hunt and save the world nonsense. Also, it's short and linear unlike Witcher 3, where you have to deal with unneeded open world shit, which they threw in just to be as cool as Skyrim or something.

I've heard that the DLCs are much better than the base game, but I've never tried them, the base game is trash, I've played it once and I don't want to touch it again.

oscar

Arcane
2 is awful, the worst in the series perhaps (though in general I find this series very overrated, even here). In fact it's hard to decide if 2 or 3 is worse because they're terrible in different ways. 3 feels like a bland MMO, 2 like a linear console QTE action game. 1 definitely is far from the masterpiece some people pretend too.

1: 5.5/10
2: 3/10
3: 3.5/10

The setting is kind of cool but then you might as well just read the (quite good) books. Geralt himself sort of wears thin (if the character was female we'd definitely call her a Mary Sue) as a James Bond-esque undefeatable ladies man (though without Bond's humour and aristocratic British charm).

turkishronin

Arcane
2 is awful, the worst in the series perhaps (though in general I find this series very overrated, even here). In fact it's hard to decide if 2 or 3 is worse because they're terrible in different ways. 3 feels like a bland MMO, 2 like a linear console QTE action game. 1 definitely is far from the masterpiece some people pretend too.

1: 5.5/10
2: 3/10
3: 3.5/10

The setting is kind of cool but then you might as well just read the (quite good) books. Geralt himself sort of wears thin (if the character was female we'd definitely call her a Mary Sue) as a James Bond-esque undefeatable ladies man (though without Bond's humour and aristocratic British charm).
Is he really James Bond when he doesn't really actually hit on the sorceresses?

Sarathiour

Cipher
Witcher 2 is about Geralt doing anything but his job as a witcher.
The only quest where you really had to hunt for a monster was the one with the kraken, and all the prep work amount at best at a single tentacle severed, and won't make you escape the game yelling the boss gimmick at you. All the other one amount to destroying a nest of something, which you should not do because keeping the nest around is the only way to farm shit you are going to need.
Also I played on dark difficulty with the mutant branch tree, which is arguably the worst way to play the game.

Bohrain

Liturgist
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
I liked that the middle part of the game has real mutually exclusive content. And there were some entertaining characters like Henselt and Detmold. But it ran like ass on my rig at the time and the combat felt janky. It's definitely the weakest game in the trilogy, but I honestly wouldn't call it overrated since I don't recall seeing anyone praise it over the years.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
I liked that the middle part of the game has real mutually exclusive content. And there were some entertaining characters like Henselt and Detmold. But it ran like ass on my rig at the time and the combat felt janky. It's definitely the weakest game in the trilogy, but I honestly wouldn't call it overrated since I don't recall seeing anyone praise it over the years.
It was interesting, but I feel like going with the elf made no fucking sense and was a bit of an ass pull just to have "diverging paths," etc.

Let's face it, the best part of Witcher 2 was that bombass boat assassination cutscene.

I played The Witcher 2 right after playing The Witcher 1. This was somewhat recent, no more than 3 years ago. The Witcher 2 was disappointing to me in many ways. So linear, so small, so buggy, so awkward. I do think there's some aesthetic improvements but while 1 and 3 offer enough distractions to focus on small things that CDPR does well (like atmosphere and small character interactions), the fact that 2 is so damn linear only highlights CDPR's inability to design proper boss battles (trust me, the dragon fight is worse than the kraken one). There's two things I remember from this game, and those are Ves' sex scene with Roche watching, and the whole apocalyptic turmoil TW2 vs DA2 caused in Bioware's forum. Those were the days.

turkishronin

Arcane
I'm liking TW2 a lot more. Even though combat is a bad imitation of Dark Souls it's still better the previous game. My only problem is that sex is unavoidable in cut-scenes. I went through TW1 without having sex(Geralt is infertile whats the point) but my choice is taken away here :(

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom