Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Witcher 2 system reqs are out

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
visions said:
Awesome, I meet the minimum. :M

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
My prestigious computer will run this prestigious game quite prestigiously. :M

Falkner

Thread Decliner
Patron
Wasteland 2
commie said:
Falkner said:
Now let's hope that it will also be well optimised and those specs are actually worth anything. I'm somewhere between required and recommended for this and I can't even get 30 fps in Act III of the first game.

What the hell? I had pretty much exactly the minimum specs and even a crappier card 7900 GT, and I only had a bit of slowdown with the beast and some of the more elaborate cutscenes in TW1. I also ran on everything at max, though limited to a resolution of 1024x768.
The old Aurora engine doesn't utilize multiple cores, so a 3 GHz Pentium IV is faster in this game than my 2.6 GHz Quadcore. I've read that Act III uses a metric fuckton of NPC scripts that are very heavy on the CPU, so you have to go around at night when everyone sleeps to get acceptable framerates. Made me put down the game a week ago, although I've enjoyed the first two acts.

el Supremo

Augur
Patron
I haven't followed the hardware news for quite a time now, but a general feeling that I got, is that differences between graphic card's generations are not what they used to be...
So tell me please, how much of a gap is between my GF 9800GT, and this GF 260 thingie? The real difference I mean, not the benchmark-lover's one.

Divinity: Original Sin
commie said:
Falkner said:
Now let's hope that it will also be well optimised and those specs are actually worth anything. I'm somewhere between required and recommended for this and I can't even get 30 fps in Act III of the first game.

What the hell? I had pretty much exactly the minimum specs and even a crappier card 7900 GT, and I only had a bit of slowdown with the beast and some of the more elaborate cutscenes in TW1. I also ran on everything at max, though limited to a resolution of 1024x768.

I had no big problems with the witcher 1, but I aways like to keep all my savegames. The problem is that the more you played, the save games got bigger and bigger. After sometime, it would tak about 2 to 3 minutes to open the savegames list (A problem I had with far cry 2 also). The solution was to remove the savegames from the folder.

Oh, and if I installed the hi-res texture mod, the game would crash on Chapter 4.

Other than that, It ran fine on my quad core 2.4 on max settings.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Gordon Freeman said:
I haven't followed the hardware news for quite a time now, but a general feeling that I got, is that differences between graphic card's generations are not what they used to be...
So tell me please, how much of a gap is between my GF 9800GT, and this GF 260 thingie? The real difference I mean, not the benchmark-lover's one.

Hard to describe in literal terms. Basically if you aren't one of these people who obsesses over anti-aliasing and can live with 30-40 FPS the game will look and run fine. 260's are considered mid-tier cards now and are about two years removed from the bleeding edge. Although I suppose some people would consider them low-tier at this point.

WalterKinde

Scholar
The "expert" sites claim the 5xxx and 6xxx amd/ati cards are now the midrange ones along with the Nvidia 4xx and 5xx series. The listed cards in the specs are now considered by these "experts" to be lowend.
So while it may mean an upgrade its not as intense as other games require, although it seems to require more hardware than Crysis 2, if you have to upgrade both your cpu and video card to the recommended specs for TW2 then your pc will be able to run Crysis 2 on high settings

relootz

Scholar
I meet recommended but i don't know if it will enough to run it on my native res 2560x1440 sure is a hell of a lot.

I wish it had a lower resolution, now i must scale everything

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
Does it not have an expansion mode in the OSD? if it does you might be able to play games at a res like 1080p, or 1050p. It should be able to scale down and lock it into a nice pixel perfect box in the middle of the screen rather than blowing shit the fuck out.

Have a play around in your OSD and look in nvidia drivers Display> adjust desktop size and position> use display inbuilt scaling.

Lesifoere

Liturgist
WalterKinde said:
The "expert" sites claim the 5xxx and 6xxx amd/ati cards are now the midrange ones along with the Nvidia 4xx and 5xx series. The listed cards in the specs are now considered by these "experts" to be lowend.

ATI 6990 is certainly not midrange. 68xx, yes.

FatCat

Educated
AMD , nVidia and Intel push new products all the time , so developers don't care about optimizing games.Fucking conspiracy , theoretically gtx260 should be able (except dx11) max out all games that come out nowadays if developers would actually care about optimization.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
FatCat said:
AMD , nVidia and Intel push new products all the time , so developers don't care about optimizing games.Fucking conspiracy , theoretically gtx260 should be able (except dx11) max out all games that come out nowadays if developers would actually care about optimization.

I thought that devolopers push games downgraded for xbox. Qbox, shitbox360 or whatever, that's why Crisis 1 looks better than Crisis 2.

Captain Shrek

Major Spoilers:

* Alvin is NOT the Grandmaster despite all the forewarning. He is the enigmatic baldy guy who is helping the elven terrorists. He was the one who recruited the grandmaster (who betrayed him) in the first place. He opposes the plan of the Lodge of Sorceresses' (explanation further).' After finding this out Geralt mayl let him live so that everyone is saved through migration.

* Geralt gains his memory back but only half way through due to an encounter with Ciri.

* Foltest dies conditionally. If he does then Adda assumes the throne. She immediately outlaws all witchers and orders a bounty on Geralt's head.

* There is a conspiracy of the Sorceresses' lodge to slowlyl take over the world. They are aware of the Elven prophecy's fulfillment and are slowly choosing the cream of the Human populous to save and create a new homeland down south. To this end they have begun manipulating the Kings of the continent. That's why the Assassin of the Kings (Alvin) needs to kill them to slow their plan. They are ready to let non-humans die. Of course Triss mildly opposes this. Major portion of the plot, she will try to manipulate Geralt to thwart portions of the Lodge's plans to allow saving everyone. This will be OPTIONAL.

Minor Spoilers:

* Geralt meets Lady of the Lake again. She takes the sword back giving him an actual quest to RESCUE a knight on the trail of the Chalice

* Geralt will meet Abigail again, if you let her live. She will become a Sorceress if recommended for training and can play a potentially major role late in the game.

* Declan leuvaarden's secret society will be a MAJOR part of storyline but will not affect the end. They have their secret agenda that is not revealed in the game but hinted towards.

* Finally, Vasemir will die.

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity
DO NOT DO IT!!

I don't know your sources but if any of these proves true you're dead meat! My God! Why did I read it?!

Captain Shrek

Mrowak said:
DO NOT DO IT!!

I don't know your sources but if any of these proves true you're dead meat! My God! Why did I read it?!
Sorry, but I don't understand.. I DID put the spoiler brackets. Are they not working for you? If so I will try to correct it..

relootz

Scholar
fizzelopeguss said:
Does it not have an expansion mode in the OSD? if it does you might be able to play games at a res like 1080p, or 1050p. It should be able to scale down and lock it into a nice pixel perfect box in the middle of the screen rather than blowing shit the fuck out.

Have a play around in your OSD and look in nvidia drivers Display> adjust desktop size and position> use display inbuilt scaling.

It sure does its the U2711 but still it's not very ideal. I currently use keep aspect ratio on my GPU.

What's better anyway, keep aspect via GPU or via the screen itself? Maybe i should test this.

Falkner

Thread Decliner
Patron
Wasteland 2
Secretninja said:
So I'm guessing my intel atom with 1 gb of ram and integrated graphics should be able to run this?
Probably couldn't even handle the installer.

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
Nice...feet.
icon_dodgy.gif

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom