Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Witcher Combat- WTF was CD Projekt thinking?

Texas Red

Whiner
Jeez I killed the Hellhound on the first attempt at normal with my then shit computer lagging everything up. You just need to use the proper oils and drinks.

Witcher isn't brain surgery. I'm surprised some of you can't for your life kill the thing and have to ask for suggestions and whine on a forum. There's probably a dozen cheese tactics where you can run around and hide behind houses or something.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Lesifoere said:
(ME was an interactive movie.)

Still better than "choose one out of two dialogue options and watch Geralt talking with NPC for 3 minutes without any player input".

Darth Roxor said:
AndhairaX said:
The game would have been much better were it turn based, or at least RTwP.

Except that it was rtwp...

No it was a game with combat QTE minigame.

Norfleet

I'm going to guess that they thought HARD should actually be HARD, perhaps? Not everyone can be an astronaut.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
Shannow said:
GlobalExplorer said:
Shannow said:
I had to reload about 5 times for the fucking hellhound on normal.
So you expected to make it the first time?
Huh? You stupid, or what?

You're dodging the issue. How many failed attempts did you expect? You said five was exorbitant.

Shannow said:
If you are willing to replay an hour just to get specter oil.
low attention span?

Shannow said:
If you know you'll be up against the hound beforehand.
that was the point of the whole fucking chapter :roll:

Shannow said:
The above questions were rhetorical. I know the answer.
You know nothing. Instead of insulting I suggest you play on Easy.

Lesifoere

Liturgist
MetalCraze said:
Lesifoere said:

Still better than "choose one out of two dialogue options and watch Geralt talking with NPC for 3 minutes without any player input".

No, it really isn't.

inwoker

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
As I remmember Stun of Aard doesn't really work for Hellhound. You need to have Aard knock-down and then one-hit kill. That's actually receipt for insta-win any major battle.

Suchy

Arcane
Don't lower the difficulty - otherwise you won't really need any alchemy, just boring clickfest. On hard you actually have to prepare for bigger fights.
Also get yourself the first person mod, looks and plays better imo (changing to tpp for combat).
There's also a mod allowing to walk, not just run all the time, but I can't be assed to find it atm.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
MetalCraze said:
Lesifoere said:

Mass Effect is more like fighting a bunch of enemies, picking one of three identical badass dialogue options and then watching 10 minutes of unskippable cutscenes.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Well, good thing TW doesn't have any charm/intimidate options.

JarlFrank said:
MetalCraze said:
Lesifoere said:

Mass Effect is more like fighting a bunch of enemies, picking one of three identical badass dialogue options and then watching 10 minutes of unskippable cutscenes.

Well that is still better than picking 1 badass option (or not picking anything at all) and in Mass Effect you can at least end dialogue any time you want.
As for cutscenes - TW has a fair share of them too, even with "cinematic" camera angles and shaking.

Quilty

Magister
I really wish the game had a more complex combat. I love some parts of it, like the C&C, the quests, the overall design, the atmosphere and yes, even the badass fuck-a-bitch approach to women. But even on hard the combat is not too difficult (well, aside from the fiddling with potions in the middle of a fight- why does it take him like fifteen seconds to drink a potion, I'll never understand).

DraQ

Arcane
Quilty said:
why does it take him like fifteen seconds to drink a potion, I'll never understand).
Because he is super badass. Pulling out a potion, opening it and drinking when everyone around is trying to hack your balls off would take a non-badass, like you, much longer and would be interrupted by some bastard running you through.

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
flushfire said:
you picked hard and think the combat is shit because it's actually hard?

I don't know what the OP was trying to say, but the combat in TW is not shit because it's hard, it's shit because it's shit.

GeneralSamov

Prophet
I didn't find Javed particularly hard, neither at the swamp tower, nor in his lab, but I confess I was playing on normal. What I did find challenging, though, was trying to keep Berengar alive in there. I never managed to pull that off.
In the end, it's really about finding the correct tactic to defeat your enemy, and then it's all a breeze. For instance, I can't remember how many times I had to run for cover in the swamps due to bloedzuigers exploding and covering me with acid, then I learned to just hop away and let them rape themselves. Or archespores and coccacidiums...

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
Suchy said:
Also get yourself the first person mod, looks and plays better imo (changing to tpp for combat).

Absolutely, one of the first things I would get. I even made a thread for it (screenshots). Only then it feels really like a PC game.

Quilty said:
I really wish the game had a more complex combat.

I would like to see a RPG with deep TB combat like in JA2. Either that, or something with real time action like Mount & Blade.

Lesifoere

Liturgist
theverybigslayer said:
Click on the sword when it is flaming.

A metaphor for the player's unfufilled need to see Geralt get it on with another man. The elf freedom-fighter leader would be a perfect choice.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
One factor that makes the Hellhound fight seem so hard is that the Geralt's journal says that quick style is the most effective against it, but strong style actually works much better. Or maybe it was the other way around, It's been a while since I played. Anyway, if you use specter oil and the right style, it goes down pretty fast, otherwise you're unlikely to hurt it very much before Geralt is stunned and raped.

Quilty

Magister
Lesifoere said:
theverybigslayer said:
Click on the sword when it is flaming.

A metaphor for the player's unfufilled need to see Geralt get it on with another man. The elf freedom-fighter leader would be a perfect choice.

Please turn this into fan fiction <3

Quilty

Magister
Spectacle said:
One factor that makes the Hellhound fight seem so hard is that the Geralt's journal says that quick style is the most effective against it, but strong style actually works much better. Or maybe it was the other way around, It's been a while since I played. Anyway, if you use specter oil and the right style, it goes down pretty fast, otherwise you're unlikely to hurt it very much before Geralt is stunned and raped.

I actually think the journal says something about the hound being immune (or not very susceptible) to stun (or signs in general). Which would be an utter lie.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom