Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Witness the Kodex Killerz die gloriously in the wasteland! (Darkwind: War on Wheels LP)

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!

PART 0: INTRODUCTION TO DARKWIND: WAR ON WHEELS​

So I've been wanting to do an LP of this for a loooooong time (read: over 10 years), but just couldn't find time to do it. Well now as a working adult I still don't have time to do a regular LP, but I figured if I don't get started now, I'll probably never get the chance to do it again when the aliens invade Earth.

So, here it is, an LP that I'll never complete, of the best Car Wars adaptation on the PC...

header.jpg

It's a sorta MMO where you manage a gang in a post-apocalyptic setting, on the island of Evan. Resources are scarce, piracy is just as lucrative as trading, and anyone can permanently die with one bad (or good, depending on which side you're on) shot. You can make money off deathraces, combat arenas, trading, piracy, or even through quests. The highlight of the game is the phase-based gameplay with an actual physics system, so when bullets and cars start flying, it gets chaotic fast.

frontImage6.png

Evan
Following the temporary failure of the earth's protective magnetosphere in 2025, the planet was bombarded with solar radiation, leading to massive irradiation and consequent destruction of plants, animals, and ultimately civilisation as we know it. Due to fortuitous local weather patterns, a small number of regions of the earth survived utter destruction and, though thrown back into an anarchic dark-age, humankind survives. One such region is the continent called 'Evan'.

Following the widespread disaster, the continent was lucky enough to retain a fertile region in the north - which also possesses a number of lakes that were only lightly polluted. The remaining population soon gathered in this area, establishing the towns of Elmsfield and Somerset.

It was several years later that contact was re-established with other countries, and at this point limited trade was established on the southern seaboard: most notably, the importation of raw materials such as plastics and metals are achieved in this way. The southern port now also possesses water refinery facilities, which produce reasonably safe drinking water from the sea.

The first deathracing events are held in Somerset. Before long, these new deathsports become a dominating feature of society on Evan: (see 'The Birth of Deathracing' Game Fiction)

Rich oil deposits were discovered in the eastern mountains, and oil extraction facilities and associated factories were soon set up.

Largely reverting to desert wastes, battered by radioactive dust storms, and surrounded by a poisonous and lifeless sea, Evan still manages to be largely self-sufficient. The relatively fertile northern regions provide enough food for the small population of the continent, and water treatment facilities both here and on the southern seaboard provide sufficient water. The oil fields that line the east-midland mountain ranges provide fuel and raw materials for the transportation and combat vehicles of those that are brave enough to travel the deserts. Additional raw materials for the car and weapons factories are supplied from other countries and arrive into the southern port.

mmmap.jpg

Weather
The island enjoys very little precipitation, apart from in the uninhabitable mountains and the northern forest regions. The rain that there is, of course, is heavily polluted and not suitable for consumption. Average daytime temperatures exceed 30oC, while at night they often drop to 0oC. The whole continent, particularly the south and west, are often battered by radioactive dust storms, referred to as 'the darkwind'.

[NEXT] PART 1: THE KODEX KILLERZ

Last edited:

tindrli

Arcane
  • First name and last name Sinan "Bog" Sakic
  • Portrait
    ETdXt1s.jpg
    s9mQhZi.png
  • Biography former Serbian pop-folk singer. "will expand in future"
  • Bros will decide if "God" is a right person for lead position

Last edited:

normie

️‍
Patron
Zionist Agent
Insert Title Here
Paul Skallas
EVriRFiWsAEU6k4-2-1.jpeg

Paul Skallas, also known by his Twitter handle LindyMan, is a technology lawyer and writer with a keen interest in ancient Mediterranean practices and lifestyles. Skallas is an advocate for a lifestyle based on the Lindy effect and writes about health, diet, relationships, social sciences, technology, culture, exercise, and other topics through the lens of the phenomenon. Skallas has a noted Substack where his readers include Marc Andreessen

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
untitlednycaw.png

Name: Joshua Eric Spanner
Occupation: Long term unemployed Owner and proprietor of the first post-apocalyptic bicycle repair shop.

He's not particularly keen on helping to fill the atmosphere with more fossil fuels. Isn't that what got us in this mess in the first place? But there's nothing more irritating than an unbalanced wheel bearing, and none of you philistines would even be able to tell something's wrong. Someone's got to come along and make sure the equipment is up to snuff.

He'll be leader if Feargus says it's OK.

udm

Arcane
Patron
Sorry, I forgot you can choose a skill that you'd like to be trained in. These are the skills (taken out the ones that are broken):
Driving
Gunnery
Large Guns
Ballistics
Hand Guns (pretty much useless except gladiator arenas but it should be fun for shits and giggles)
Mechanic
First Aid
Scouting
tindrli Strange Fellow normie

EDIT2: There are some first and last names above that aren't in the list, like Sinan, Sakic, and Spanner, so I'll just default to whatever sounds the closest, like "Spann" instead of "Spanner", and "Simon" instead of "Sinan" unless you guys have any other ideas. Sorry bruvs.

Last edited:

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
EDIT2: There are some first and last names above that aren't in the list, like Sinan, Sakic, and Spanner, so I'll just default to whatever sounds the closest, like "Spann" instead of "Spanner", and "Simon" instead of "Sinan" unless you guys have any other ideas.
I was assuming that was how you'd do it.

Josh is a mechanic, obviously.

Egosphere

Arcane
Bob Baker

Gunnery and Ballistics

Nobody knows his past, not even himself.

The dree of liberdy must be rebreshd from dime do dime wid blood of baydriods and dierunds - Bob 'Meatball' Baker
1394677007584.jpg

udm

Arcane
Patron
Dick Woody
DnZY2qsVAAAvwne.jpg

Large Guns (duh!)
what's a biography?
Backstory or background. Doesn't have to be too long, you don't even have to provide one if you don't want to (but it'll be more fun when introducing each ganger).

mondblut

Arcane
Dick Woody
DnZY2qsVAAAvwne.jpg

Large Guns (duh!)
what's a biography?
Backstory or background. Doesn't have to be too long, you don't even have to provide one if you don't want to (but it'll be more fun when introducing each ganger).

That was a rhetorical question, boss. It's mondblut, baby, mondblut. My characters units have no biography, they're there to kick ass and watch little numbers go up.

udm

Arcane
Patron
untitlednycaw.png

Name: Joshua Eric Spanner
Occupation: Long term unemployed Owner and proprietor of the first post-apocalyptic bicycle repair shop.

He's not particularly keen on helping to fill the atmosphere with more fossil fuels. Isn't that what got us in this mess in the first place? But there's nothing more irritating than an unbalanced wheel bearing, and none of you philistines would even be able to tell something's wrong. Someone's got to come along and make sure the equipment is up to snuff.

He'll be leader if Feargus says it's OK.
So I forgot that leaders are selected based on their Leadership skill and guess what, he really is leader :lol:
1695544419007.png

(For now, at least, until someone else with a higher Leadership skill comes along to replace him. Or he dies.)

Also I named him Josh Stoner because Spanner isn't in the list and I thought it's more fitting funnier.

udm

Arcane
Patron

PART 1: THE KODEX KILLERZ​

zwVrj2n.jpg

Gang Information and Backstory:​

After the world ended, things quickly turned to shit. Degeneracy, cruelty, apathy, these ran rampant through the last vestiges of society. Thus, a cabal was formed to fight for virtues of the World From Before.

This cabal was named Kodex Killerz by its founder, Josh Stoner. Rumour has it that it is funded by a third-party entity with the initials M.C.A.. Little is known about this M.C.A, save for the fact that when the initials are evoked i.e., spoken out loud, Josh Stoner would fly into the most frightful of rages.

nzO1NK5.jpg

Overview of Gangers' Stats:​

gxgE27S.jpg

Founding members:​

03uHHDt.jpg
ZIuQ359.jpg
HPoYThR.jpg
NKcvno0.jpg
NWbxkNT.jpg
uw0MrGC.jpg

[NEXT] PART 2: THE KILLERZ' FIRST RODEO

Last edited:

udm

Arcane
Patron

PART 2: THE KILLERZ' FIRST RODEO​

Josh and the gang stroll into Somerset.

l7R88Vb.jpg

Josh Stoner.jpg
Alright gang, so if we're going to, like, get started, I think we should go for something less dangerous, you know what I mean?
Dick Woody.jpg
Waddyu suggest chief?
Bob Baker.jpg
hurr bob shoot gun go brrrrr
Josh Stoner.jpg
<<His eyes look towards the north where the racetracks are. The deep blue gems in his eye sockets sparkle, suggesting that the wheels in his head are turning dazzlingly fast. You almost feel your soul absorbed into his gaze, and then he speaks, his voice in a hushed whisper>>
Mr Scalise, how do you feel about entering a race?

The Kodex Killerz sign up Paul Scalise for his maiden race. Paul has always been something of a driver, and he is more than excited at the idea of being chosen to bring the Kodex Killerz' reputation to greater heights. The prospect becomes even more enticing with the prize money being at $10800 for 1st place.

0w9tNyk.jpg

panyDqF.jpg

This is just a regular race. No guns, nada. Feeling confident, Paul gets ready for the race.

Paul Scalise.jpg
Yeah I'm all ready for this. Gonna be a cakewalk.
Josh Stoner.jpg
But seriously, don't get too cocky. All the best out there, kid.

Event Details​

xIfG23H.png

At the start of the race, we're given position #4. All positions are randomised. Not bad, we're pretty near the front.

PuKDKCK.png

And we're off!

nclF8c2.png

So far so good, but, uh, Car #1 might be in a spot of trouble. Which might not bode well for the cars behind.

dKE9hep.png

It seems like the other idiots on our left are piling up while trying to counter-steer. Not good.

dKE9hep.png

Paul's car hits a bump and if you look at his ghost car, he might actually flip. But Paul Scalise is every bit confident he has this under control!

daHvt1d.png

Fuck yeah a safe landing!

4o9328S.png

But then little did Paul anticipate Car #2 (Mycea Racers), who had spun out of control and was fast heading in his direction, at 131mph.

1SE4EgB.png

It's a pretty bad crash. Paul's stunned and unconscious.

9oe9a8T.png

With Paul out of action, our car spins out of control and crashes again, this time into a wall.

u1sSuFB.png

Yeah, the car's not recovering from this one.

PA90cwJ.png

Another car crashes next to Paul, this one on fire. Thankfully, it does not blow up.

2E5uKh1.png

With Paul out of action, we have no choice but to resign him from the race.

Josh Stoner.jpg
<<A look of concern floods his eyes. You cannot help but feel his genuine approach as he hovers over the injured form of Paul, who was dragged out of the wreckage by the other Killerz. There is a level of deliberation to his every word, but yeah you really feel the man when he speaks.>> You alright Paul? That was a beating you took down there.
Paul Scalise.jpg
I'm alright, just that my ribs hurt like hell. But I'll recover from this quickly. Sorry I didn't win the race, boss.
Josh Stoner.jpg
Yeah, don't sweat it, like, just take it easy. There's always next time.
Paul Scalise.jpg
Yessir, and I'm not going to make the same mistake twice.
Josh Stoner.jpg
And what mistake is that?
Paul Scalise.jpg
Never rush to the front at the start of a race.

Well, it's only gonna take our boy a couple of hours to heal up. Not bad, quite the survivor :salute:

1695579159212.png

[NEXT] PART 3: ARENA COMBAT

Attachments

• Sid Sak.jpg
    Sid Sak.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:

udm

Arcane
Patron
Setting up the next post now, but I just want to preface first that Paul "Lindyman" Scalise is a fucking piece of shit and we should just get rid of him :argh::argh::argh::argh::argh::argh:

EDIT: After rewatching the replay, I may have been too harsh. Paul didn't do that badly after all. But that "surprise" he pulled at the end......

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom