Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Wizardry Wizardry: The Five Ordeals Steam release

Discussion in 'jRPG Weeaboo Discussion' started by LESS T_T, Jun 3, 2021.

1. LESS T_T Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

LESS T_T
    Codex 2014
    https://wiz-pb.jp

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Well, let's have a dedicated thread for this. This is re-release of 2006 game Wizardry: The Five Ordeals, remade from scratch on Unity, level editor included. Over 100 scenarios Japanese gamers have made in last 15 years also will be playable/provided in some form.

Unfortunately, the initial Early Access release will only have UI text localized.

Interestingly this is published by Game*Spark, a minor Japanese gaming news website.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2021
    • Brofist x 8
    • incline x 3
    • Informative x 3
    • meh x 1
    • Excited! x 1
    • popamole x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Thac0 JRPG ambassador Patron

Thac0
    Wait, this means there will be an old school Wizardry engine for easy custom modules on Steam.
    If this even gets any semblance of traction this is glorious incline for DRPGs and the entire RPG genre really.

• incline incline x 3
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Makes you think... Makes you think... x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Lady Error █▓▒░ ░▒▓█ Patron

Lady Error
    Strap Yourselves In
    It has some promise...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Though the UI is really kind of ugly. Instead LARPing Wizardry 1 to death, they could at least have included the portraits of the party members into the UI, like Wizardry 6-8.

• hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. e-mailio estevez Arcane

e-mailio estevez
    Speaking of portraits, I find it interesting that the elf portrait appears to be an upscaled portrait from the SNES version of Bane of the Cosmic forge.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. LESS T_T Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

LESS T_T
    Codex 2014
    Likely because console ports, Gaiden games, and this are all made by basically the same company (or successor).

^ Top  
  6. Reinhardt Arcane

Reinhardt
    Compared to Solasta it's BOOTIFUL.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • not sure if serious not sure if serious x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. LESS T_T Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

LESS T_T
    Codex 2014
    FAQ. I hope they'll get a good translator: https://steamcommunity.com/app/1308700/discussions/0/3109152828474694090/

The most interesting thing is that the complicated situation behind the rights to Wiz 1-5 led them to set the rule to ban any custom scenario/names inspired by them.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. LESS T_T Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

LESS T_T
    Codex 2014
    • Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  9. Filthy Sauce Arbiter

Filthy Sauce
    Strange update on steam yesterday. Not sure what they are babbling about... Guess its delayed.

• WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    • Rage Rage x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Duraframe300 Arcane

Duraframe300
    I guess they got a legal letter or something. Only explanation I can think of for that *clarification* in the beginning.

The UI stuff is worrying.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Ysaye Savant

Ysaye
    Yes - the UI looks nothing like the UI of Wizardries 1 - 8 so for lawyers to claim that they do is a bit worrying.

^ Top  
  12. Dyskolos Cipher

Dyskolos
    It has to be some combination of name with UI and/or whatever 'drawing function' means that is triggering the claim they've crossed the limit of what their rights to the title (which presumably they do have in some form) allow. This seems the key element in that regard: "There is also a possibility that the game title and the visual game features related drawing function and the UIs, etc will be changed or removed." Their language isn't the most precise anywhere but I read that as their envisioning two basic paths of negotiation and release - the probably preferred route of keeping the title but compromising on the contested elements or, if that ends up requiring too much reworking, altogether dropping the name but putting the game out probably unchanged otherwise.

^ Top  
  13. maidsoft Novice

maidsoft
    I really want the Wizardry rights sorted out. It's got to be one of the biggest reasons there isn't more Wizardry stuff in the west.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Slam dunk! Slam dunk! x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Darth Canoli Arcane

Darth Canoli
    I don't mind not having the portraits, i hope they focus on UI QoL improvements instead once they fix whatever legal issue they have.
    It's actually refreshing not having any cat-girl PC on screen, maybe some incline incoming.

If they just had Grimoire dungeon quick travel feature and actual Wizardry 6-8 exploration, it'd be just great but i'm not holding my breath.

^ Top  
  15. Maxwell's Demon Arcane

Maxwell's Demon
    I don't. Can you even imagine the clusterfuck that would become in today's development climate? You could only trust a Japanese, or possibly Eastern European, company to do the IP any justice. I hope it remains in licensing Hell for another five years.

^ Top  
  16. RatTower Arcane Developer

RatTower
    As I mentioned in the other thread, Wizardry's licensing situation is a nightmare.
    I might be going out on a limb here, but I believe, the way how they precisely deny any relation to the original five games tells you everything you need to know.
    A similar thing happened with Wizardry: Labyrinth of Lost Souls in 2019. On the day of the release, they announced that there were "licensing issues". Iirc it was then scheduled for June, but eventually, it released more than half a year later (January 2020).

Last edited: Jun 20, 2021
    • Button Button x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. KeighnMcDeath RPG Codex Boomer

KeighnMcDeath
    I'll hope for a gog release as well. :/

^ Top  
  18. AdvancedHero Arbiter

AdvancedHero
    :(

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. MuscleSpark Augur Patron

MuscleSpark
    This confirms it's the fault of the cunts who own the right to 1-5, who are also the reason those games haven't gotten digital re-releases in any capacity.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.